Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

It feels like a completely different forum over here

marx 5:16 PM - 17 December, 2007
It feels like a completely different forum over here in a very good way.

Shouts to all making this happen
a-swift 5:34 PM - 17 December, 2007
yeah i'll agree. i had no idea that there were this many video noobs. i mean some of the posts here are just plain wrong and a lot of posts from guys who have absolutely no clue about video, codecs, encoding, tv standards, etc.
marx 5:41 PM - 17 December, 2007
but that just shows u how many people were reading all the video posts :)

It feels like a real forum.
a-swift 5:48 PM - 17 December, 2007
there is a guy posting in this forum who thinks that renaming is .VOB files to .MP4 is ok. and that DVD9 and DVD5 are two seperate video formats. god help us all.
marx 5:50 PM - 17 December, 2007
well thats where u come in :)
D-Twizzle 6:00 PM - 17 December, 2007
i'm still having a hard time believing we can't play mpeg2. is this even if we buy the $20 codec for quicktime? anybody try this?
www.apple.com
marx 6:02 PM - 17 December, 2007
if u read the manual its says you can install other codec...but they're not supported. That plug should work....but theres no point since its not going to sound good.
a-swift 6:09 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
i'm still having a hard time believing we can't play mpeg2. is this even if we buy the $20 codec for quicktime? anybody try this?
www.apple.com

take it from someone who learned the hard way. don't bother spending the $20 on the MPEG-2 plugin from apple. the only audio format that's supported with their MPEG-2 plugin, is the audio format that is NEVER used. Meaning, 99.9% of your MPEG-2 files will play with no audio for $20.

i'm personally glad they have solid H.264 support since it's the best codec for performance/quality/size. not bothered at all about the lack of VOB support.
DjKidblast 7:56 PM - 17 December, 2007
A little off topic, but can some one tell me the difference between DVD5 and DVD9 please.
CMOS 7:57 PM - 17 December, 2007
is video free? thanks im new again. hehe
a-swift 8:09 PM - 17 December, 2007
dvd5 is 4.7gb DVD media
dvd9 is dual layer DVD media that stores twice as much data (roughly)
Serato
Nathan H 11:23 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
www.apple.com

Not quite so simple to quote (myself) from another thread:

Quote:
MPEG-1/2 are multiplexed streams so the audio is mixed up with the video whereas MPEG-4 has them separated into different streams. This means the decoding process is quite different and so while it is definitely on our list, it is not a 1.0 feature...

And a-swift, thanks for the info on audio support by Apple's codec. I didn't know this and I'm sure this will influence how we go about supporting MPEG-2 streams.
D-Twizzle 11:41 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
This means the decoding process is quite different and so while it is definitely on our list, it is not a 1.0 feature...

i would still like to see this in a 1.1 update.
if VDJ and DVDJs can do it, serato should be able to do it too.
a-swift 12:42 AM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
And a-swift, thanks for the info on audio support by Apple's codec. I didn't know this and I'm sure this will influence how we go about supporting MPEG-2 streams.

From the Apple MPEG2 Quicktime plugin page located here:

www.apple.com

Quote:

What audio formats does the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component support?
The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component supports the playback of MPEG-2 files (.mpg, .mpeg, .vob, .vro, .m2v, .m2a, and .m2s) that contain MPEG audio layers I or II. The MPEG-2 Playback Component does not support audio playback for MPEG-2 files containing PCM, DTS or AC3 audio.

Almost EVERY DVD you will come up on will use PCM, DTS or AC3. While I've CREATED DVDs that use MPEG Layer 1 and II (mostly 2), I've personally NEVER seen a professional DVD made with MPEG layer 1 or 2. It's laughable that this is what they give you for $20. The plugin is a straight ripoff.
VJ Justin Allen 12:54 AM - 18 December, 2007
Here are some specific sites that I use from Apple concerning MPEG.

www.apple.com

www.apple.com
VJ Justin Allen 12:56 AM - 18 December, 2007
Ah my bad a-swift. I didn't realize that they cut off the rest of the url.