Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Extracting Music Videos from DVD's

DjSugarDaddy 8:10 PM - 16 December, 2007
I'm on a mac and my question is, what is the best way to take my videos off of my dvd's so that i may use them in serato with the video plug in, because i dont even know how to do that much and i'm trying to get going with the video thing,
cmcknite 9:02 PM - 16 December, 2007
Handbrake
Serato
JonathanC 9:02 PM - 16 December, 2007
Hi DjSugarDaddy,

Please check www.scratchlive.net for articles on converting DVDs to formats VIDEO-SL can read.
a-swift 11:16 PM - 16 December, 2007
you want to mix videos but you don't even know rip a dvd.
Dj Nyce 5:22 AM - 17 December, 2007
^funny
marx 5:42 AM - 17 December, 2007
we all were there once. its easier to ask our friends here then going on the hunt.

i don't really use the mac side for video but everyone talks about handbrake :"
DJ Dan-E 12:25 PM - 17 December, 2007
GOOGLE..........."How to rip DVDs to .vob .MP4

I personally use VOB Blanker, great program.....also for those ripping ScreenPlay and Promo ONly you will have to rip 2 cells into 1 to have complete video, so there is alot of work to do when working with Video.....also you can rename .vob to .mp4 and it will play just fine (on pc) dont have mac but should.
a-swift 5:26 PM - 17 December, 2007
Quote:
GOOGLE..........."How to rip DVDs to .vob .MP4

I personally use VOB Blanker, great program.....also for those ripping ScreenPlay and Promo ONly you will have to rip 2 cells into 1 to have complete video, so there is alot of work to do when working with Video.....also you can rename .vob to .mp4 and it will play just fine (on pc) dont have mac but should.

Do not rename .vob into .mp4. Please do not do that. You can however safely rename .vob to .mpg with no problems.
a-swift 5:32 PM - 17 December, 2007
Also, on a PC the extension just tells your computer which program to launch. When the program launches, in most cases the program will read the file's FOURCC code to decide which codec to play the file with. So naming a a .vob to .mp4 is a really, really dumb thing to do. Don't do it. .VOB is a MPEG2 format and obviously .mp4 is not, so naming a file with an extension that is totally different from what the file is, can cause havoc. I cringe thinking that people would actually think this is a good idea and then start allowing downloads of these jacked up files and now they are in circulation.

Seeing posts like that remind me of why I prefer to rip and encode ALL my own material.

This guy was probably one of the people who decided that re-encoding a 128kb mp3 to 320kb will make a better sounding file.