Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

PC Intel 2ghz 2GB RAM XP Pro = MAC Intel 2ghz 2GB RAM Tiger/Leopard ???

ral 7:39 PM - 15 December, 2007
just curious, is it the same speed??? i always thought the mac processor ghz is doubled up than pc.. enlighten me up.
marx 7:46 PM - 15 December, 2007
nope i don't agree with that. I will say that when u use mac its usually a smoother performence wise, so people take that as it feels like its faster when you compare the same speeds. I personally would perfer running video on a mac. If which has better performence....well only time will tell. But I have a feeling it will be a mac.

Remember I am a macbook pro owner that uses vista 90% of the time.
nik39 8:05 PM - 15 December, 2007
Quote:
But I have a feeling it will be a mac.

Dito.
dj disturbed 9:28 PM - 15 December, 2007
Quote:
just curious, is it the same speed??? i always thought the mac processor ghz is doubled up than pc.. enlighten me up.

that was the way it was for the old "g" series proseesors, you could not compair the hrz of mac and PC then b/c they used diff ways of doing thing inside the computer, but sense they now both use intel chips (or other chips that run the same way) now 2ghz means 2 ghz on either platform, With the old chips a 2ghz g5 was like running a 2.5-2.8ghz pc chip.
ral 9:33 PM - 15 December, 2007
thx disturbed. thats what im thinkin too about the intel processor.. so its all bout the OS now
dj disturbed 9:36 PM - 15 December, 2007
yup
dj disturbed 9:38 PM - 15 December, 2007
but of coarse there are alot of other facters involved to like , System Buss speeds, Amount of lvl 1,2,3 cache and where its located in the system, the amount of ram and what type it is that can change the way a computer that has a processor rates at the same speed and other computers can actually be faster or slower the other other ones
djsteel 10:38 AM - 16 December, 2007
Yeah Disturbed is right Mac's run 64 bit processors and Pc's ran 32 bit So that was true that Mac's were able to work twice as fast. But Pc's jumped up to 64 bit a while ago and now Intel is making EVERYTHING. So now its all the same but here's what I know that might help end this discussion. I've been helping test video for awhile now and only this week did they present a full functioning windows based version. We've all been testing only Mac. So Knowing that this program was made mainly for use on a mac, what do you think the answer will be?
AdamJay 8:09 PM - 16 December, 2007
2 words bitchez...

CORE VIDEO
djsteel 10:40 AM - 17 December, 2007
Core video? WTF does that mean?
dj disturbed 5:36 PM - 17 December, 2007
core video- a leopard feature in OSX
djsteel 8:39 PM - 17 December, 2007
Ok Cool, but isn't the censuses that Serato runs better on Tiger right now?
djsteel 8:43 PM - 17 December, 2007
So whats the benefit of Core Video? I've tried searching the web on it can't figure out why its better for Serato.
dj disturbed 9:11 PM - 17 December, 2007
core video... from what i remember makes the mac send more on the video processing directly to the video card instead of the main CPU causing less strain on the CPU. Befor Core Video the CPU got the video info first then desided if it was to process that info itsself or allow the VPU to do it. The VPU still did most of the work then too, but the CPU handled it first, on newer macs running core video the system controller chips send more of the video data directly to the VPU. Wich also allows for more use of the advanced features of the video cards that support the use of Quartz Extreme. This was a main part of Quicktime 7. Older macs that dont support Quartz Extreme wont have any benefit from Core Video but the ones that do will.
djsteel 4:21 AM - 20 December, 2007
2 part question. How do I know if my laptop would benefit from Core Video? 2nd part is is only available with Leopard?
dj disturbed 5:32 PM - 20 December, 2007
it a part or Quicktime 7, So if you have QT7 already installed then core video is also already installed.
djsteel 9:30 PM - 20 December, 2007
OK Cool thx
AdamJay 12:40 AM - 21 December, 2007
Core Video is also in Tiger.

the point i was trying to make is thanks to Core Video, MacOS handles realtime video with an entirely fresh approach. Look at realtime VJ apps such as Modul8 and VDMX5 for more info. These are built around Core Video and the power these applications have is both impressive and immediate.