Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

No Audio/Waveforms - Crash

Deejay Z 7:24 AM - 15 December, 2007
Im not getting any Audio Input......Whenever I try to build an overview it crashes......No waveforms displayed

MacBook Pro

See Profile for Specs
Dj Ace 7:49 AM - 15 December, 2007
Your Computer is not up to the minimum specs...
Deejay Z 8:11 AM - 15 December, 2007
it is up to specs...Just because its 1.83 doesnt meen shit......

Update:

It seems to play podcast videos just fine.....Im crashin, It might be an audio problem with the file....but they all say Mp3 or AAc audio....Im crashin....Ill pick this up tomorrow
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 9:06 AM - 15 December, 2007
What is the file format? Could you upload a small example?

Note: The list of supported containers (file formats) is here www.scratchlive.net
QECRUSH 9:38 AM - 15 December, 2007
Quote:
What is the file format? Could you upload a small example?

Note: The list of supported containers (file formats) is here www.scratchlive.net

Hey "Steve W" so its like this. I just dropped over $3,000 in DVD's in MPEG-2 Format, I've been ripping DVD's out the a$$ in MPEG-2 Format, and I subscribed to an MPEG-2 Format subscription. I am just trying to get ready for this HUGE $7,500 new years eve gig. I've been emailing back and forth with one Shaun on this tip and launch.

Will this not support MPEG-2? It says it will for MPEG-4? Is there a huge difference. What a CRAZY SETBACK THIS WOULD BE! I really don't want to drop $200.00 for the PCDJ/VJ upgrade for one show when I've been waiting like a good little boy for Christmas twiddling my thumbs praying to the DJ Gods (thats you) for an early release so I can throw down on this NYE party and guarantee a 5 year booking.

Can you shed some light on this situation of the MPEG-2 Crisis of Maryland for me? Also can you shed some hope or light on a possible usable version of this for New Years? What a "tease" this would be to all of those up and coming superstar VJ's to be if we can throw down like rock stars on new years the right way versus be so close but yet so far away with this public preview.

Thanks man for whatever you can say.
Dj BuddyLove 8:36 PM - 15 December, 2007
haha they never promised anything this soon ya got your hopes up of being the video-SL supa turntable video jock too soon..and highly unlikely they will have anything out b-4 nye.and even if they do. ya still got to learn the program..proob have zillions of bugs & quirks to fix. geeeez
marx 12:44 AM - 16 December, 2007
i don't see it working with mpeg soon....@ the earliest when its officialy comes out in January...if that. You should look into renting dvdjs since u have all those dvds.
nik39 2:57 AM - 16 December, 2007
Hm.. I don't understand the mpeg restriction. I thought basically anything can be used if QT is able to play it. QT is able to play mpeg files, but... VSL is not. Can anyone clarify?
jdub 3:13 AM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:
Hm.. I don't understand the mpeg restriction. I thought basically anything can be used if QT is able to play it. QT is able to play mpeg files, but... VSL is not. Can anyone clarify?

Good question. I wonder if they would work with MPEG 2 plug-in from apple...
marx 3:14 AM - 16 December, 2007
i remember somone saying you would have to get the quicktime mpeg plugin. but this does need to get resolved asap. mpg/vob is the main video format.
QECRUSH 7:51 AM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:
haha they never promised anything this soon ya got your hopes up of being the video-SL supa turntable video jock too soon..and highly unlikely they will have anything out b-4 nye.and even if they do. ya still got to learn the program..proob have zillions of bugs & quirks to fix. geeeez

"haha"?? your an idiot. I didn't get my "hopes" up and clearly you didn't read my post. I simply asked a question looking for an answer not a smart ass comment out of you in street talk ghetto "short hand". They weren't supposed to have anything out until 2008 at all period. In fact, at every trade show I went to this year and after chats with a few different reps from RANE there was no official release date at all or a time of year. Then I found out that it was coming "possibly" in a matter of weeks... and 6 days later here it is.

It appears as of now everything for them is running ahead of schedule which is a good thing, so there is nothing wrong in asking if something would be out even more ahead of schedule so I don't "waste" money looking into getting a software upgrade for something else I already own.

A company isn't going to release a "final version" which CLEARLY this isn't the final version, but they aren't going to release something that is unstable for their clients (us DJ's) -- if they do have something out there that is unstable (BETA VERSION) then it will be noted that way. The only DJ's I see on here whining and complaining that their TTM doesn't work or their box is running slow are the one's using poorly build cheap budgeted pawn shop style laptops and then they go "uhhh whats wrong"

The program won't be that hard to LEARN if you "READ" the documentation and practice it. I never said I was going to be the "video-SL supa turntable video jock" but it won't be that hard to use if we take the time to read through it and use it the way it was meant to be used. By your reply and me wasting 10 minutes saying all this... you might want to take my advice when the final version comes out and "READ" the documentation or you will be living on this forum.

Come hell or high water, I am doing video for 65% of my event on New Years Eve, I just am crossing my fingers that maybe we will get lucky for a more accessed version to the new plug in. We will see what happens.

My real guess is that they are doing a January official release because that would look phenomenal for a "1st quarter" sales goal for this company.

I am not trying to be a prick but if your going to reply to something I write, please read it and respond with some sense.
QECRUSH 7:56 AM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:
i don't see it working with mpeg soon....@ the earliest when its officialy comes out in January...if that. You should look into renting dvdjs since u have all those dvds.[/quote

Hey Marx, well the good thing is it def supports MPEG-4 and the ripping of MPEG-4 which I am doing right now is ripping with an aac codec. Whatever the hell that means, that is my next step of research for tonight. I posted a really good description of MPEG info in the forum that I found online so check that out. Right now I am ripping my 2nd disc as MPEG4 and I am going to load up 1.8 in a few minutes and see if it reads MPEG2 and MPEG4 and then go from there and see what happens. Luckily enough for me out of all the stuff I just bought I only ripped about 12 discs so far in this 50 disc project so its not a huge setback. I would rent the DVJ's but i really don't feel like renting all that gear, the switcher box, etc etc..... I own a copy of PCDJFX and for $200 I can upgrade to the VJ version and run it as a supplement or on my "aux" input on the TTM57SL. I've also heard a rumor and I have a buddy working on this tomorrow but apparently you can download the "time coded CD info" from PCDJ, burn a disc like you get from SSL, and their software (VJ INCLUDED) runs off of Rane's Hardware.

I dunno, I will know by tomorrow if 1.8 videoSL will play MPEG2 and MPEG4 and I will be able to post the facts.

lets see what happens.
marx 4:25 PM - 16 December, 2007
i know vdj and pcvj is basically trhe same program. nut i'm not sure if they gave access to the rane hardare. now note on the rane hardware its only for the sl1 not the 57. you could get virtual vinyl which comes with all then sell it on ebay when you were done with it.....just don't register or make a login on the forum so the next person will be able to.
Dj BuddyLove 4:52 PM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

"haha"?? your an idiot. I didn't get my "hopes" up and clearly you didn't read my post. I simply asked a question looking for an answer not a smart ass comment out of you in street talk ghetto "short hand". They weren't supposed to have anything out until 2008 at all period. In fact, at every trade show I went to this year and after chats with a few different reps from RANE there was no official release date at all or a time of year. Then I found out that it was coming "possibly" in a matter of weeks... and 6 days later here it is.

It appears as of now everything for them is running ahead of schedule which is a good thing, so there is nothing wrong in asking if something would be out even more ahead of schedule so I don't "waste" money looking into getting a software upgrade for something else I already own.

A company isn't going to release a "final version" which CLEARLY this isn't the final version, but they aren't going to release something that is unstable for their clients (us DJ's) -- if they do have something out there that is unstable (BETA VERSION) then it will be noted that way. The only DJ's I see on here whining and complaining that their TTM doesn't work or their box is running slow are the one's using poorly build cheap budgeted pawn shop style laptops and then they go "uhhh whats wrong"

The program won't be that hard to LEARN if you "READ" the documentation and practice it. I never said I was going to be the "video-SL supa turntable video jock" but it won't be that hard to use if we take the time to read through it and use it the way it was meant to be used. By your reply and me wasting 10 minutes saying all this... you might want to take my advice when the final version comes out and "READ" the documentation or you will be living on this forum.

Come hell or high water, I am doing video for 65% of my event on New Years Eve, I just am crossing my fingers that maybe we will get lucky for a more accessed version to the new plug in. We will see what happens.

My real guess is that they are doing a January official release because that would look phenomenal for a "1st quarter" sales goal for this company.

I am not trying to be a prick but if your going to reply to something I write, please read it and respond with some sense.
blow me!
Serato
Nathan H 10:35 PM - 16 December, 2007
Quote:

It isn't quite as easy as that. MPEG-2 is a multiplexed video format meaning that instead of having separate streams for audio and video they are mixed together. So even if QT can play muxed content, individual decompressed frames may not be available to us.

We are working on MPEG-2 support as a feature but this will not be available until a later version.

When we do support it, it will be very likely to need the Apple MPEG2 codec.
marx 10:38 PM - 16 December, 2007
whoa.

thanks for explanation