DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Workaround for a few 62 problems (mapping/controls)

DJ Prinvale` 6:21 PM - 23 February, 2012
So I came from a 57 and a few things I used a lot on it.

Mainly I'm trying to figure out if the 62 has any sort of grouping feature so I can map more controls to the mixer (instant doubles, start song over, censor, etc) without losing the basic functionality of it.

I am aware you can double tap the scroll but that is not a very good solution if fader is open on both sides because it starts the track selected from the start then does an instant double.

I got the 62 to do more and it seems like I can do less now that groups are non-existant. Does anybody have any workarounds for adding simple controls like that without losing the standard 62 functionality? Maybe I'm missing something.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:49 PM - 23 February, 2012
Double tapping the load encoder should be instant doubling the track without playing any other audio? Just double checked and its working great:)

There is not currently any grouping options on the 62 but you can midi map some things, such as the mic, eq, headphone, Aux channel, and contour switches on the front of the mixer.
I spoke to a user yesterday who mapped his censor buttons to the split cue button and the flex FX button for the Aux channel.
DJ Prinvale` 7:08 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Double tapping the load encoder should be instant doubling the track without playing any other audio? Just double checked and its working great:)

There is not currently any grouping options on the 62 but you can midi map some things, such as the mic, eq, headphone, Aux channel, and contour switches on the front of the mixer.
I spoke to a user yesterday who mapped his censor buttons to the split cue button and the flex FX button for the Aux channel.

so if I use the split cue and a lot of those other features I'm pretty much out of luck? (other than buying a midi pad)?

Perhaps I'm not double tapping the load knob fast enough because it always play whatever track is selected and then does instant doubles.
Gameguy236 7:36 PM - 23 February, 2012
Zach, which buttons or knobs are able to be midi mapped without interfering with serato. and if you did midi map lets say the split cue, would it lose its original function or would it do what we mapped it to do as well as its original function as split cue?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:41 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
so if I use the split cue and a lot of those other features I'm pretty much out of luck? (other than buying a midi pad)?

Yes.. for now. We here in support would like to see the mixer open up to allow other assignments via groups but its still up for discussion.

You can map everything other than the cues/sample section and the side strips that control your loading/looping.

Yes.. the original function will still work.
Gameguy236 7:43 PM - 23 February, 2012
damn i was hoping to remap the looping area to the dj fx
DJ Prinvale` 7:43 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yes.. for now. We here in support would like to see the mixer open up to allow other assignments via groups but its still up for discussion.

You can map everything other than the cues/sample section and the side strips that control your loading/looping.

Yes.. the original function will still work.

if the SP6/Cue buttons were able to go into different groups that would be the greatest thing you could do for the mixer.

One button (green) and you are in the cues
Hit the button again (red) and you are in the SP6
Hit the button again (?) and you are in a custom group

*looks up how much dicers are*

:(
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:43 PM - 23 February, 2012
You can map the mic section:)
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:45 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
if the SP6/Cue buttons were able to go into different groups that would be the greatest thing you could do for the mixer.

I'm with you. I know one of the main factors in designing the 62 was to make it simple for the user. No hidden features or groups.
This sucks for people who are more tech savvy such as ourselves as its restricting what the mixer could do.
Like I said, we would like to see this changed so know you have some djs on the inside rooting for that to happen:)
Gameguy236 7:47 PM - 23 February, 2012
the mapping is just like every type of midi controller right? so that way if i'm at a gig and i actually need the mic i can just switch midi presents on the midi tab in settings and have my mic not midi mapped again?
DJ Prinvale` 7:48 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I'm with you. I know one of the main factors in designing the 62 was to make it simple for the user. No hidden features or groups.
This sucks for people who are more tech savvy such as ourselves as its restricting what the mixer could do.
Like I said, we would like to see this changed so know you have some djs on the inside rooting for that to happen:)

You should make it so you have to enter in a key to unlock it ;)

Thanks for your help, I'll just deal with those minor issues until ya'll update it. I still think this is the greatest mixer ever.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:49 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
the mapping is just like every type of midi controller right? so that way if i'm at a gig and i actually need the mic i can just switch midi presents on the midi tab in settings and have my mic not midi mapped again?
Yep:)

Quote:
I still think this is the greatest mixer ever.

I'm happy to hear your stoked on it. It is an awesome mixer:)
Gameguy236 7:57 PM - 23 February, 2012
hmmm would it be possible to remap the ext insert fx button to be the on for dj fx? or is that not mappable
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:57 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:

One button (green) and you are in the cues
Hit the button again (red) and you are in the SP6
Hit the button again (?) and you are in a custom group

*looks up how much dicers are*

:(

yes totally...Im hoping they could have 4 "standard" functions

1. Cues
2. SP6
3. Loops (and the 5 buttons follow the 5 loop timings on screen)
4. Loop Rolls (and the 5 buttons follow the 5 loop timings on screen)

Then a layer(or more) for custom maps. ..Maybe worth just nuging them to see if this sort of thing happens before getting dicers, then again dicers are pretty sweet too so why not ;)

Quote:
I still think this is the greatest mixer ever.

Hell yeh...well greatest 2 channel/skratch mixer....still love the 68 for mixing 3 deck techno but for my hip hop and scratching this 62 is soooooooo sweeeet....Rane have done a tremendous job on this mixer.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:34 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
hmmm would it be possible to remap the ext insert fx button to be the on for dj fx? or is that not mappable

You wouldn't want to use that button unless you had an external effect processor plugged into the Flex FX send/returns. Otherwise the audio will cut out as soon as you turn on a Flex FX button to apply the effect to that channel because the audio is getting sent out of the mixer and not coming back.
Gameguy236 8:38 PM - 23 February, 2012
that makes sense =P alright so i guess i'll just map dj fx to the mic controls, i was hoping to sell my kontrol x1 but i guess i'll need to keep it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:45 PM - 23 February, 2012
Ya.. the X1 is great for the effects:)
DJ Prinvale` 10:35 AM - 25 February, 2012
arggg...so I didn't realize that if you map a button on the 62 it doesn't disable the original function.

awjhgiuerg

I really hope grouping is enabled very soon...it would save me $$$ on buying a damn midi controller than I thought I didn't need anymore (sold it).
radikarl 3:32 AM - 26 February, 2012
wicked223 11:19 PM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So Zach what are the odds of this happening??

Seems like alot of us djs would love this to happen and it would make it a even more awesome and more versatile mixer to fit specific needs of djs as they seem fit? no?
You-Lee 12:37 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So Zach what are the odds of this happening??

Seems like alot of us djs would love this to happen and it would make it a even more awesome and more versatile mixer to fit specific needs of djs as they seem fit? no?

Yes please... I agree. That would make this mixer even better.
radikarl 7:06 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
serato.com

just tried. does not work :(
wicked223 7:42 AM - 27 February, 2012
Lets stay on them about this....

Zach, why not? since it seems like an such an easily changed option that you can either use or not use..

it wouldnt really change the mixer or make it any less simple in anyway as you stated....
DJ Prinvale` 5:28 PM - 27 February, 2012
post up in here guys. I made a feature request.

serato.com
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:46 PM - 27 February, 2012
The mixer is fully capable of doing this. Apparently the fix to allow this needs to be done in the software by Serato.
You-Lee 6:50 PM - 27 February, 2012
Please have them fix this quickly.
wicked223 7:56 PM - 27 February, 2012
+1
radikarl 2:57 AM - 28 February, 2012
could you do it in firmware, just by send different midi messages when switching to a custom bank?
You-Lee 4:37 AM - 28 February, 2012
Make it work like the 68 with layers. So 62 owners can map the 62 as we see fit. This makes no sense. Why would the 62 not be able to have layers or option to map out other buttons or knobs as you want them? Even the ones you dont use. Not just what is set as default from serato. That is limiting 62 owners to do only what serato says. Make it unlimited not limited. Leave it up to the user to do what they want to do as far as mapping out the 62 mixer. Please make this happen asap
Dazel 5:55 AM - 28 February, 2012
yeah I really don't understand why Serato did that. hope it's gonna be in 2.4.1 fully mappable like the 57
Dj Nyce 4:06 PM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
yeah I really don't understand why Serato did that. hope it's gonna be in 2.4.1 fully mappable like the 57

well it's not in the 2.4.1 beta so i wouldn't expect this to happen til about 2.5 (if it happens at all).
wicked223 4:11 PM - 28 February, 2012
Serato needs to jump on it lol
You-Lee 4:18 PM - 28 February, 2012
Yeah they do. It's not funny that they want to sell a mixer that's so expensive and not have the software part working like their older models. They should be able to do what their older model does and more. Why get the new mixer and break what's not broken. Serato COME ON MAN!!!
Dazel 6:40 PM - 28 February, 2012
yeah, I can't imagine the guys, who aren't on this forum, reaction when they realize theres 62 are lock

Pretty pissing off when you bought this high end mixer
You-Lee 6:52 PM - 28 February, 2012
Yes exactly. I'm one of them waiting for my 62z. I'm thinking of canceling my order because that is a major issue. Question I have is. They said it can be mapped out to anything. Really? Wonder if you can map it to another application with no problem? If you can then it really makes nonsense why they would do this. I'm sure they will fix this but at the same time then don't release it until its completely ready.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:54 PM - 28 February, 2012
The mixer is completely midi mappable in other programs.
The side strips for manual and auto looping can be toggled to map different things to each encoder/button.
Also the cue/sample section can be toggled to give you a total of 22 mappings.
DJ Prinvale` 7:12 PM - 28 February, 2012
The moral is we shouldn't have to sacrifice very standard controls in order to control other basic functions of Serato.

I use the cues & sp6 on the regular so disabling them isn't ideal.
You-Lee 7:37 PM - 28 February, 2012
Yes I agree. For you and I that and many others will never want to change that. But maybe someone may want to do that for whatever reason. Let'em do whatever they want.
Dazel 7:55 PM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:

We know, but I think the big majority use only Serato

It's cool that we can map everything in 3 party software but its suck that we cannot do it on our native software

I just don't see the logic behind that move
You-Lee 7:56 PM - 28 February, 2012
Exactly
Dazel 8:15 PM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
The side strips for manual and auto looping can be toggled to map different things to each encoder/button.

How you do that in 2.4 ?

I activated the midi mapping in setting but nothing happen

Quote:

So theres a way if I don't use my sp6 to map something else in Serato ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:42 PM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

How you do that in 2.4 ?

Quote:

This is only currently possible when using other programs.
When using Scratch Live you can't reassign the side strips or cues/samples section.
You can, however, midi map any other button, knob, slider, or switch.. including the fader contour switches on the front of the mixer.
Know that the button, knob, slider, or switch will still retain its original function.
radikarl 9:00 PM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:

true but why not add some more pages in firmware that send different midi data?

like this:
press and hold the toggle button and press cue 1 > custom page one.
press and hold the toggle button and press cue 2 > custom page two.
et cetera.
if firmware sends different midi data, SSL would not block it i guess...

please Rane ;)
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:01 PM - 28 February, 2012
Its not up to us. Serato needs to change how their software works.
If we could do this on our end we would.
You-Lee 11:33 PM - 28 February, 2012
I understand Zack. Maybe a neck crank might do it. Puh Puh Puh Pleeeeease
wicked223 12:47 AM - 29 February, 2012
yep get r done..
radikarl 7:35 AM - 29 February, 2012
Why could you not simply send midi data on a different channel in Firmware?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:40 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:

I don't know. Good question for Serato though:)
Rane
TrevorW 5:10 PM - 1 March, 2012
Quote:

Scratch Live does not currently support that with our hardware.
nik39 2:17 PM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I'm with you.

+1

Quote:
I know one of the main factors in designing the 62 was to make it simple for the user. No hidden features or groups.

That's a bit sad :(
nik39 2:19 PM - 2 March, 2012
I guess that's a prime example which proves latter is true:
serato.com
You-Lee 2:52 PM - 2 March, 2012
Yes I agree that is sad. They need to do something about this. We are suppose to go forward not backwards.
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:56 PM - 2 March, 2012
I'm betting itll come just give them time to work it out.
DJ Prinvale` 5:30 PM - 2 March, 2012
*cough* serato.com *cough*

make it known!
DJ Tino C 3:33 AM - 3 March, 2012
OK, quick comment. I am still getting familiar with scratch live and dont know too much about some of the tricks you guys know about, but in my opinion the 62 should have these functions. Wasn't the 61 made for the "ease of use" aspect? If not, then why even put the 61 in production? My guess is the 61 will not sell well and be discontinued in a year. People would rather buy a used 57 or a sl1, sl3 box. The 62 should have ALL the capabilities possible, even for guys like me who still have a large learning curve to get better and finetune my skills.
wicked223 4:38 AM - 3 March, 2012
Quote:
OK, quick comment. I am still getting familiar with scratch live and dont know too much about some of the tricks you guys know about, but in my opinion the 62 should have these functions. Wasn't the 61 made for the "ease of use" aspect? If not, then why even put the 61 in production? My guess is the 61 will not sell well and be discontinued in a year. People would rather buy a used 57 or a sl1, sl3 box. The 62 should have ALL the capabilities possible, even for guys like me who still have a large learning curve to get better and finetune my skills.

well if you buy a 61 and a set a dicers you pretty much have a 62 unless they make all of the buttons mappable
wicked223 4:39 AM - 3 March, 2012
minus effects..im not sure if the 61 has built in effects.
You-Lee 4:44 AM - 3 March, 2012
Exactly dj Tino C. At some point you will get to that point and have all those options ready for when that day comes. Who knows can be tomorrow. Who s to say how fast to will learn the trucks and advance features. Very good point about the 61. The 62 should be able to do everything the 57 and more. Everything the 68 can do minus two channels. All the money for these rane dj mixers and they still don't have a least 1 professional input (+4db) on the channels. Not just some consumer inputs (-10db). Outputs yes inputs no. Why?
You-Lee 4:51 AM - 3 March, 2012
No there are no built in effects in the 61. Only serato software effects
wicked223 5:29 AM - 3 March, 2012
also only 1 usb .....
DJ Tino C 6:02 AM - 3 March, 2012
Yeah, The 61 will be off the shelves in a year. Not enough for serious DJs, and too expensive for newbies to invest in. Thats why Numark is in business.
Dazel 8:41 AM - 3 March, 2012
very good point Tino C

It would be nice to have some explanations from Serato why they did that

Just really dont see the logic behind that
radikarl 9:46 AM - 3 March, 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com
i guess this could be a good reason (jump to 12 minutes 00 seconds.)

some people just want a bulletproof mixer with scratch live built in and nothing else.
Dazel 10:41 AM - 3 March, 2012
yeah exactly , but what I dont understand is why remove mapping control on the 62
Niro 1:10 AM - 4 March, 2012
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com
i guess this could be a good reason (jump to 12 minutes 00 seconds.)

some people just want a bulletproof mixer with scratch live built in and nothing else.

Isn't it called a 61
DJ Tino C 2:49 AM - 5 March, 2012
They could have just did it as a marketing ploy to sell for 62s for a higher price also. Think about it, There was nothing wrong with the 57, only thing it needed was hot cues, and MAYBE some external effects. So they create 2 new mixers, one inferior to the 57 and one superior, without mapping lol, and then discontinue a great mixer. If they created the 62 and left the 57, who would really buy the 62? They would just buy dicers and there you go. Just my two cents.
Niro 4:40 AM - 5 March, 2012
The major problem with the 57 was that it was designed with USB 1 and a lot of new computers are stopping support for it. Also the 57 isn't midi mappable. Rane took into account a lot of mixer request and made a new mixer. The 61 was for people who didn't want to be locked into the mixers controls and wanted to use their own.

There is no ploy, people have been asking for a new mixer for awhile. You can still buy the 57 new from a lot of retailers still and the mixer will be support for awhile.
DJ Tino C 4:42 AM - 5 March, 2012
Yeah, I feel you. I like having 2 usb, just in case a computer goes down. Thats just me though. You have a valid point though.
You-Lee 5:03 AM - 5 March, 2012
I'm with you 100%. I'm sure they will open it so 62 owners will be able map it how they want. We just have to wait & be patient. Which still makes no sense why with any other application it can be done but not there own.
breakabreaka 7:04 AM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How you do that in 2.4 ?

Quote:

This is only currently possible when using other programs.
When using Scratch Live you can't reassign the side strips or cues/samples section.
You can, however, midi map any other button, knob, slider, or switch.. including the fader contour switches on the front of the mixer.
Know that the button, knob, slider, or switch will still retain its original function.

How can you do that? One feature that I loved about the 57 was the ability to mix inside the mixer. Pitch bend and changing the pitch. Play stop and so on. Anyway that can be mapped?

I was thinking of mapping my VFX-1 to do that. You think that would work?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:50 PM - 6 March, 2012
Quote:
One feature that I loved about the 57 was the ability to mix inside the mixer. Pitch bend and changing the pitch. Play stop and so on. Anyway that can be mapped?

As I said.. ANY controls on the mixer, aside from the channel strips and cue/samples buttons, can be mapped to the various things in SSL.
You will need to check the 'enable midi assignments' option in the Hardware tab of Setup and then midi map to the mixer --> serato.com
YZ 10:59 PM - 7 March, 2012
If this is the complaint thread regarding un-mappable buttons... I'm all in. As it stands right this moment, I was able to do more "useful" functions on my 57SL than I was on this thing. I can only speak for myself. The workflow of this mixer for me is brutal.
Dazel 1:10 AM - 8 March, 2012
Hey Zach,

the thing is we don't want map anything aside from the channel strips and cue/samples buttons ! loll

But, we know it's not Rane's fault. Just apply as much pression on Serato as you can for us

thanks
You-Lee 1:39 AM - 8 March, 2012
Yes please
wicked223 2:24 AM - 10 March, 2012
Quote:
Hey Zach,

the thing is we don't want map anything aside from the channel strips and cue/samples buttons ! loll

But, we know it's not Rane's fault. Just apply as much pression on Serato as you can for us

thanks

+1
dj shadow from detroit 9:52 PM - 10 March, 2012
I just ordered a 61. the 62 is really nice and i like what they did with the mixers. the 62 is to much for what i do. really nice piece of equipment its ( rane / serato ) so u are getting great stuff.
for me the 61 with dicers mapped to effects , sampler.... ect works for me. and if i need more then the dicers im sure i can get a smaller effects unit and map it out to do more.
regardless 61 - 62 are amazing.
give it another 6 months for them to fully get into tweaking stuff for us on the hardware / firmware. trust me things will get better. way to many people complaining not realizing how good rane / serato costumer service team work:)
Serato
Glenn M 2:22 AM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
give it another 6 months for them to fully get into tweaking stuff for us on the hardware / firmware. trust me things will get better. way to many people complaining not realizing how good rane / serato costumer service team work:)

Essentially yes.

There are always some particular usability quirks that appear after release, which we then address in subsequent SSL versions.

The TTM 57 is a good example of this. The hardware panel in 1.8.3 and 2.4.0 is significantly different and offers more than when the TTM 57 was first released.
You-Lee 3:26 AM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Essentially yes.

There are always some particular usability quirks that appear after release, which we then address in subsequent SSL versions.

The TTM 57 is a good example of this. The hardware panel in 1.8.3 and 2.4.0 is significantly different and offers more than when the TTM 57 was first released.

Thank you Glen. I have faith in Rane / Serato.
DJ Prinvale` 3:45 AM - 11 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Essentially yes.

serato.com

Hope you saw this Glenn :) Thanks