DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Skipping during HID playback w/ CDJ2000

R-Dub 4:10 PM - 20 February, 2012
I experienced this over the weekend during a gig. random skipping usually happening during
loop playback. it happened about 3-4 times near the end of the night, (after about 3 hours into my set). up till this point everything was cool.
typically this is what was happening: i would be playing a track and towards the end of the song i'd mix in the next track that was set to a 8 or 16 beat loop. i'd let it ride for a while, everything is cool, super tight mix. then BAM. looped track skips a 1/2 beat and instant trainwreck! but a perfect 1/2 beat off, It als0 skipped once during the night randomly in the middle of a track while just one track was playing. very strange seeing how I have up to this point never experienced this before. I've only been using scratch live for about 6 weeks and have ALWAYS used it in HID mode (never even opened the time codes, and dont plan to). I thought this software was supposed to be the bees knees? It's kinda NOT COOL to have my software throw the whole flow off and make me look bad in the process! WTF, i switched from pioneer rekordbox to get away from this crap, i thought serato was solid. guess not. anyone else have this issue, or know how to avoid it? I really want to use HID mode (it's the main reason i bought serato over traktor)
Dj matty k 5:07 PM - 20 February, 2012
As far as im aware this is a know problem i used HID for 2 weeks twice a week in the club and had no problems at all but then all of a sudden i have the jumps etc on the 3rd week so switched back to cd and not used it since we need this problem sorted i really like the HID mode

I know the its got something to do with bass for the jumps in the music maybe from monitor speakers ?
R-Dub 6:38 PM - 20 February, 2012
well that seems like a legit theory. i had my booth monitor up pretty loud by the time this was happening- last hour of the night when the club was the most packed. (it was at lower vol at beginning of night - no skipping then)
R-Dub 6:41 PM - 20 February, 2012
i also had my booth monitor positioned pretty close behind my laptop.
But i ran the same booth set-up last time with no problems at all
R-Dub 6:42 PM - 20 February, 2012
has anyone else had any correlation between bass/volume and skipping?
phatbob 8:12 PM - 20 February, 2012
Most people do, dude, it is a known issue, Serato have said they're working on it with Pioneer.

I've gone back to timecode CDs with 2000s for now.
R-Dub 9:05 PM - 20 February, 2012
damn, from my experience with pioneer, it may take a while.:(
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:54 PM - 21 February, 2012
We recommend using them with the NoiseMap™ discs. Serato is aware of the issue and working on solving that asap.
DJ Shadow Dubai 2:35 AM - 5 March, 2012
Been using HID mode for 2 weeks and had no issue, and suddenly last three nights - had the same issue as mentioned above. It happened 8 times in an hour, and made me look bad as a DJ! It just skipped all of a sudden while the beatmatch was on perfectly.
Initially I thought that the high bass was probably making the laptop skip the beat - could this be a reason?
R-Dub 11:49 AM - 5 March, 2012
did you have the bass or volume higher than normal? or a booth monitor near your computer.
DJ Shadow Dubai 11:52 AM - 5 March, 2012
Yes I did coz it was in a different club and I think bass was higher there.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:38 PM - 5 March, 2012
Man they are taking ages to fix this been a bug since they first support these players in 2.1 how long ago was that?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:26 PM - 5 March, 2012
I'll put this in the section where the Serato developers will more likely see the thread.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:15 PM - 6 March, 2012
Hey everyone,

We haven't forgotten about this. In order for these issues to be resolved and to be solid for the future, there is a large rewrite of existing code that needs to happen. Unfortunately this hasn't been a priority and therefore with the limited development resources we have, we have been unable to commit to this as of yet.

It will be fixed in the long run, but it's not the kind of fix that will be able to just be added into a small point release. It's a larger architectural issue that will take some time sorry.

As much as I would like to give you guys more information at this stage I can't sorry. We are aware of this problem though and are working to resolve it.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Sam.
11:00 PM, 20 Mar 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
R-Dub 3:14 PM - 23 April, 2012
THIS NEEDS TO GET FIXED!!!
patience is running real thin. as it stands HID mode is total rubbish unless your just a
bedroom DJ. I thought Serato was for professionals! This is just unacceptable. I think it is downright a scam to advertise HID compatability if it doesn't work as it should!!!
R-Dub 3:43 PM - 23 April, 2012
i just read the FAQ about this issue ( serato.com )
and i'm a little skeptical about it. First of all it says to increase the distance between
the CDJs and the subs. well the subs at the club i play at are about 40 feet from the booth!!! how much further do they need to be??? the only speaker near me is a single 10" booth monitor. And honestly the club isn't even THAT loud compared to some clubs. the entire system consists of only 2 QSC 12" powered speakers and 2 subs!!! (and the above mentioned booth monitor) THATS NOTHING. if that is making it skip then G'Dam this software is a crap.
R-Dub 3:01 PM - 24 April, 2012
BUMP. sorry but the thread didn't show up in the listings
n1mbus 5:37 PM - 24 April, 2012
Are you guys all in the northen hemisphere? Is it possible heat or humidity could make the units more sensitive to vibration?

Just a thought... I have been cutting a channel out of the foam under the cdj units for years (in DJ coffin cases) because they can lock up when the over heat.

Still... doesnt really address nightclubs with air-con.
R-Dub 5:52 PM - 24 April, 2012
no man, it happens in the winter here. not hot at all.
laptop is not heating up either, its on a stanton stand.
my studio at home is a lot warmer and it never happens there.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:41 PM - 24 April, 2012
Its a known issue and serato need to fix it but its to big a job. Hense why ot aint been fixed in two years!
n1mbus 5:10 AM - 25 April, 2012
But how can serato fix a bug that seems to be triggred by a intermittent hardware condition? The symptoms suggested here make it sound like some sort of conflict from hardware that upsets the firmware/software... very very tricky to reproduce this fault in the lab and even harder to address a solution. Glad i'm not on bug duty!!!!!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:28 AM - 25 April, 2012
no it is a bug with seratos software the fix is a complete rewrite of a load of code they have said this is a massive job, and could make other things brake/buggy. as the demand is not high enuff its not high on there list. thats what i can make out from any of the replies from a serato member of staff.

We all hope it will get fixed one day but lets not hold our breath.
Gary Howard 8:52 PM - 28 April, 2012
This issue has started happening with me... In this case, our 2000's were installed December 2010, within 3 weeks i had started using in HID mode.. They have been absolutely perfect for a "YEAR & 2 MONTHS" and now i have this problem.

It always happened when im mixing, the slightest softest touch on the jog wheel can skip the tune into a train wreck, admittedly it doesn't happen every time, but 3 or 4 times a night is annoying...

However, i recently installed the CDJ Aggregator on my mac and the skipping has substantially subsided, and i dont seemed to so soft handed with the jog??? Im not implying this is a fix, but i'd be interested to know your thoughts

But having read its a hard problem to fix, it really should be on the priority list.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:06 AM - 1 May, 2012
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I have no further announcements to make on this issue.

Gary Howard, I am curious to know more about he CDJ Aggregator, and how it helped with your issues?
Gary Howard 10:38 PM - 6 May, 2012
Honestly Martin, I have no idea...

Having said that i used in HID mode for over a year, i was baffled why this problem had only recently started, my thoughts were maybe i was missing a firmware update or a bug fix of some kind.

I did actually observe my hand movements on the jog wheel, just to make sure i wasn't getting careless and accidentally touching the upper rim (i always use in vinyl mode) but it still happened.

So i went onto the Pioneer firmware download page and read that the aggregator was a program to install multiple decks via the USB, so i thought coz i use a hub, maybe there was an information delay, and this software was there to help it, so i downloaded it.. And now i find it working perfectly, and it doesn't skip..

These are my thoughts, and what i did?

But it seems to work????
Gary Howard 10:47 PM - 6 May, 2012
...I would really like know to if anyone has tried this, and has it worked for them??

or wheather im living in dream land??

Im happily still using HID mode, and have not gone back to time codes
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:33 PM - 7 May, 2012
Interesting! I appreciate that. Perhaps it is something I will ask some users to try out to see if it truly does help with HID problems.

Thanks!
Dj matty k 12:12 AM - 8 May, 2012
Just downloaded it and going to try it with 2 cdj2000 and a djm2000 on friday night i will let you know of results :-)
Nathan Looney 12:18 AM - 8 May, 2012
Do the pioneer 900s have the same issue? I have been using them in HID mode for the past month and haven't noticd any skipping yet.
DeeJay Staas 8:03 PM - 8 May, 2012
Gary Howard : what usb hub you are used ? Powered ?
Tte SL Box was powered too ?

How you run the CDJ Aggregator ?

And if the problem disappears inplace with a lot of bass too ?!
n1mbus 4:17 PM - 9 May, 2012
have you guys noticed if there is any improvement if you sit the players on foam spacers, or shock absorbers?
R-Dub 4:39 PM - 9 May, 2012
I'll be testing our the CDJs on foam spacers at my next event (may 19th)
I'll report back with results.
ps: i dont think the hub has anything to do with it. i don't use one. i have
plenty of usb ports on my HP so i just plug the CDJs directly into the laptop.
n1mbus 4:46 PM - 9 May, 2012
I'm curious... Why haven't I seen ANY mention of the vibration problem in the CDJ900? Are they unaffected?
R-Dub 4:50 PM - 9 May, 2012
Not sure about the 900s..hmmm
what type of laptop are the people using who are having these problems?
PC or Mac? (i have a HP PC - windows 7 - 8 gig ram)
the other Dj i play with uses a Mac and he didn't have any skipping problems
at all - we were both using HID mode that night and i was having MAJOR skipping
as the bass got stronger later in the night.
R-Dub 4:52 PM - 9 May, 2012
is the cdj aggregator only for Mac?
n1mbus 4:56 PM - 9 May, 2012
yes just MAC i think.

But dont get a MAC they have just as many problems.. only with a MAC you have call a guy in new deli every time there's a problem lol.
R-Dub 5:49 PM - 25 May, 2012
so this past weekend i tested out using foam under the cdj 2000s and i had NO skipping at all in HID mode! i used 1.5" thick soft convoluted foam (the kind that is egg carton shape on one side - flat on the other side). worked like a charm. so that seems to be one work-around for now.
DeeJay Staas 6:54 PM - 25 May, 2012
R-Dub : can you make a picture of it ?
R-Dub 8:32 PM - 25 May, 2012
like this:

www.soundtechco.com
n1mbus 5:36 AM - 26 May, 2012
I'm glad that seems to work! We used to use half tennis balls under the turntables back in the days.. thats an alternative too.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:24 PM - 27 May, 2012
Good to hear the foam helped you out R-Dub, lets hope you don't run into any further issues with HID, although as I have mentioned, there are still known issues, and some improvements are definitely needed at some point.

Im not sure how much more assistance I could be in this thread, but you guys are welcome to continue the discussion if I move this over to DJing Discussion?
n1mbus 5:01 AM - 28 May, 2012
OK ok.. so if i designed a foam shock absorbing panel for the CDJ2000... that works on desktop and on CDJ stand... how many do you think I could sell... i can get them mass produced here... I have to be of some use to us all while i'm here in China...???
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:48 AM - 29 May, 2012
If you could do em cheaper than whats already out there...
n1mbus 4:00 AM - 29 May, 2012
What is already there?? i cant find anything suitable...
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:07 AM - 29 May, 2012
I was referring to the product that R-Dub posted, but I guess that isn't specifically designed for CDJ use.
n1mbus 4:29 AM - 29 May, 2012
i was thinking a metal plate that lock-fits to the bottom of the cdj.. then a foam spacer with a metal lip at the front so it can lock onto the standard CDJ stand, or just sit on the desktop
5:50 AM, 29 May 2012
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:52 AM - 29 May, 2012
Sounds good, but definitely some sort of strong plastic absorbent plastic instead of the metal right?
n1mbus 7:48 AM - 29 May, 2012
the foam is made from plastic
kvaldini_dxb 9:54 AM - 29 May, 2012
Quote:
We recommend using them with the timecode discs. Serato is aware of the issue and working on solving that asap.
I'm quite a fan of a single timecode on USB and the CDJ2000's linked at the moment (always have the control cps as backup just in case).

Shame about the HID, as really wanted to use SSL that way but heard tooooooo many horror stories from everyone that tried it over a prolonged period of time.

On a side note: Pioneers Rekord Box is really starting to pick up some momentum of late for house DJs it seems, esp after the WMC and now Ibiza season kicking off.

Has been solid when I have used it, but I cannot stand the navigation / root folder system, so sticking with SSL for the time being.

K
R-Dub 11:09 AM - 29 May, 2012
if you could make a product that was cheap enough then i think ppl would buy it.
as it stands now just google around and you can find many places that sell foam
real cheap. also try ebay, i've seen large sheets being sold there. i just happened to
have a couple pieces hanging around that came in a pkg i received. here's one on amazon that you might be able to cut in half and get 2 pieces from:
www.amazon.com
djvtyme85 9:13 PM - 29 May, 2012
I'd like to see a pic of it with your cdjs r dub
JayDJ130 10:20 PM - 5 June, 2012
I've been having this issue for quite a while now.

I ran across something this week though.

Guys, please let me know if your experience is similar.

I have the skipping issue when using 2 CDJ2000s, but, when I've used 3 or 4 hooked up at the same time, the issue seems to have disappeared. now, I need to do more testing, but I did this on 2 nights over the last week and didn't run into any issues. Only when I use 2 CDJs do I have the problem. Maybe this is related to the CDJ aggregator that is mentioned earlier in the thread.

Serato -

You've said this is a known issue, and it will be fixed eventually, but you're really alienating a high end/core group of DJ's that are quickly losing patience with the slow pace of Serato advancements. This is not a small bug. This is a huge issue that makes our $2000 controllers unusable with your software. The DJ's that are buying these $2000 controllers are the ones you should be worried about pleasing. To me, this sounds like a huge issue that should be fixed asap to me.

As for bass being the culprit, I'm skeptical. The CDJ's work perfectly fine in every other mode, so why would the bass effect them all of a sudden when using HID mode? I've never seen a correlation between skipping and bass in the club.
R-Dub 10:27 PM - 5 June, 2012
@JayDJ, try recreating the skipping in a NON club environment.
it is my experience that bass IS the culprit.
i've managed to isolate the players from heavy bass vibrations and it solved the problem.
Chris Deluxe 9:06 AM - 6 June, 2012
This issue is the only reason i have to use Traktor if they have 2000's in the club instead of 1200's. I really just want to use only serato, instead of keeping 2 programs updated. Serato on timecode won't work for me, the cue drifts to much.

I tried the HID several times, and it works SO FINE, only the skipping makes it unusable in live situations. I'm also 99% sure it's because of the bass vibrations, this only happens at loud volumes. Another DJ in this area says he only has this issue around twice a night. I suffer from this almost every song. Could it be the SL1 (which i use) is more affected by this then the SL3 (that he uses)?
He plays in other venues than me, so it could be just the environment, but can someone confirm the SL3 has better HID support or not?
R-Dub 10:40 AM - 6 June, 2012
it happens with my SL4. havent used anything else.
DJMark 11:12 AM - 6 June, 2012
I don't get how what must be some odd mechanical issue with the CDJ-2000's could be Serato's problem to fix.

?
Chris Deluxe 3:02 PM - 7 June, 2012
Quote:
I don't get how what must be some odd mechanical issue with the CDJ-2000's could be Serato's problem to fix.

I think they're both need to fix this. I think the CDJ sends some kind of MIDI signal from the platter. Let's say 1 to 100, where 1 is very light pressure/movement, en 100 is very heavy pressure/movement of the platter.

Let's say heavy bass signals trigger the MIDI command 1 to 5. At the moment, Serato 'listens' to this commands and react to it. What they should do is ignore the signal 1 to 5, and react to 6 - 100.

OR

Pioneer shouldn't send any signal unless it's 5 or higher...

It seems to me this is the only logical explanation to this bug.
DJMark 1:14 AM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I think they're both need to fix this. I think the CDJ sends some kind of MIDI signal from the platter. Let's say 1 to 100, where 1 is very light pressure/movement, en 100 is very heavy pressure/movement of the platter.

Let's say heavy bass signals trigger the MIDI command 1 to 5. At the moment, Serato 'listens' to this commands and react to it. What they should do is ignore the signal 1 to 5, and react to 6 - 100.

OR

Pioneer shouldn't send any signal unless it's 5 or higher...

It seems to me this is the only logical explanation to this bug.

Interesting and makes sense. I hadn't thought of vibrations getting into the touch-sensitive platters before.

Still not getting why that wouldn't equally affect CD's (control or audio) though. Maybe there's an internal control-signal chain in the players that's separate from raw MIDI?

Certainly seems like the issue would warrant a much more immediate response, given that a pair of these players are $4,000!
djvtyme85 3:07 AM - 8 June, 2012
So is this isolated to the 2000? Or are 900 users equally effected?
JayDJ130 5:08 AM - 8 June, 2012
@Chris & @DjMark

I will keep testing things and run more tests with the club closed and music down, but I've run into the skipping issue during my opening sets at the club already, when the music is at a very low level and bass should not have an effect.

I don't think this is a Pioneer issue. I believe it's a Serato issue. Why? Because nobody ever has a skipping issue when using only CD's, USB sticks, Hard Drives or Traktor with the CDJ's. That narrows it down to Serato. They pretty much laid that out earlier in the thread by saying they needed to do a deep rewrite to the Serato code to fix this issue. I've also heard of this happening on the 900's.
Chris Deluxe 8:42 AM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
@Chris & @DjMark

I will keep testing things and run more tests with the club closed and music down, but I've run into the skipping issue during my opening sets at the club already, when the music is at a very low level and bass should not have an effect.

I don't think this is a Pioneer issue. I believe it's a Serato issue. Why? Because nobody ever has a skipping issue when using only CD's, USB sticks, Hard Drives or Traktor with the CDJ's. That narrows it down to Serato. They pretty much laid that out earlier in the thread by saying they needed to do a deep rewrite to the Serato code to fix this issue. I've also heard of this happening on the 900's.

U have a valid point there.
KD1011 11:24 AM - 8 June, 2012
I still think the reason Serato is holding out on a fix is because of the rumoured CDJ2000 update, which would likely require a HID recode anyway...

Apparently some stores have been told they won't be getting any more 2000s, its been 3 years, they're well due for an update...

It's the only reason I could imagine Serato would hold back on their greatest advantage over traktor...
ekwipt 4:05 PM - 8 June, 2012
Quote:
@Chris & @DjMark

I'm pretty sure Traktor now has the same that it has Stage1 of Advanced HID as they put it?

"Has anyone used it live in a club yet? I have and there is a MAJOR bug...the bass in the club makes the bmp on the decks twitch like mad making mixing impossible...the opposite deck hasn't got a clue what pitch the other is on! Is there a sensitivity setting for the cdj which I don't know about cos if not I'm switching back to the old version I can't live with this....as a test try tapping the side of the cdj quiet firm in time with the bass and see if the bpm twitches"
JayDJ130 9:03 PM - 10 June, 2012
I tested the 4 CDJ setup again on Friday. Ran into a lot of skipping problems, so I was wrong in my original statement.

I'm still not convinced the skipping is bass related. The decks skip right as I put my finger in the side of the platter to do pitch bend. I'm not accidentally touching the edge of the top platter. This is the skipping issue I run into all the time.
djvtyme85 11:12 PM - 10 June, 2012
Sad you spend over 2k on a pair of decks and this issue isn't a priority but I am using a usb with time code with no issues. Coming from turntables this is not that big of a deal, yet but I would love to know I could use this feature without worrying.
R-Dub 11:44 PM - 12 July, 2012
i fixed the problem with mine. no more skipping.
DeeJay Staas 3:57 AM - 13 July, 2012
R-Dub , in HID Mode ? how ?
Jader 5:41 AM - 13 July, 2012
this is crazy. just as i was thinking about moving to CDJs to avoid skipping problems on my 1200s, i hear the CDJ guys have skipping problems too. we obviously need magnetic floating decks to dead this issue once and for all.
R-Dub 11:15 AM - 13 July, 2012
yes, i fixed skipping in HID mode.
2 pieces of 1.5" foam under each CDJ.
hasn't skipped once in 2 months.
more of a workaround then a total fix, but i'll be happy
for now cause i can use HID mode at the club now! :)
Dubford 12:06 AM - 12 September, 2012
hi lads

im a london dj and been using serato for years, i only have one of my nights running 2000's and was dying to try out hid mode for the first time last weekend . my mac is brand new (2 days old) and the decks were only a week old , all updates done and we were ready to go .....

As you guys say the first few hours were brilliant and I'm hooked on hid mode......but !!!

I started to get problems , heard a couple of tracks skip mid - track and thought i had corrupted files in the upgrade from my pc to mac this week. later on in the night i had a "train wreck" too as it skipped a beat in the mix and with 2300 people in the club i wasnt happy!!!! (and neither were they)

Im kind of glad ive now found this thread and it obviously not my tracks as i Dj'd last night with no glitches on timecode cd's and cdj1000 but really gutted that the hid mode doesnt work as it should .

now .... the bass theory doesnt sound right to me but im willing to try the foam as it would be a very cheap fix , i have a very large monitor next to me so you could actually be right with the bass theory.

so seems ive got to find some foam for the weekend and will keep you guys informed on progress ..
phatbob 1:04 AM - 12 September, 2012
I can't remember where it was, but earlier today I saw someone on another forum mention that they had some skipping issues with them in HID with the new Traktor.

Starting to look like piling all the blame on Serato for this issue might have been unfair after all...
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:28 AM - 12 September, 2012
Hey Dubford, aside from trying some of the other things that have been suggested in this thread, just ensure that you have your Rane hardware connected directly to one of your computers USB port, and then you are runnning your CDJ2000s through a high quality powered hub into the other USB port.
Dubford 1:38 AM - 12 September, 2012
phatbob : really not pushing blame as ive never had a prob with serato before and love it .
just a bit upset to read that this has gone on so long really .

Martin: thanks for the quick reply , i did have the sl1 plugged straight into the mac and the decks into the hub so id already thought about that issue. Didnt think about a powered hub though so may have to go down that route .

let you guys know how i get on
easyG 1:16 PM - 12 September, 2012
Hey all!

Let me start off with saying that I've been using Serato for many years now. Superb software. But I got fed up with the HID bug. Yes, I could use timecode, but when you have tried HID you don't wanna go back to timecode. :)

Quote:
I can't remember where it was, but earlier today I saw someone on another forum mention that they had some skipping issues with them in HID with the new Traktor.

Starting to look like piling all the blame on Serato for this issue might have been unfair after all...

So about a year ago I also bought Traktor, used it in clubs where the HID skipping was happening. Last Saturday I tried the new CDJ 900 advanced HID support for Traktor. I have to say, I didn't have any problems. Worked flawlessly. For the record, Serato HID skipped many times in the same club in the past.

I really, really love SSL, but I have to say Traktor did it this time. Also going to a club with just a laptop and two USB cables is nice. No outside audio interface, no USB hub required.

But I'm still hoping that Serato will get this bug fixed soon, cause Traktor has the upper hand right now. Who knows, maybe I'll start using SSL again then.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:37 AM - 13 September, 2012
Sorry to hear that easyG, but I can understand you gotta use what gets the job done for you.

I hope we can get HID improved in the future, but I just don't know when unfortunately.
Dubford 2:16 PM - 16 September, 2012
so update
last night i decided to try the foam trick much the the dismay of the other dj and light jock . I bought 2" thick foam and cut it to fit under the cdj's with about 1/4 inch all around the cdj.

All night i only had one skip track so think it made a differenc from the 4 i had last week . was talking to the jock and he said we should try paper / rubber under the decks as they seem to have static underneath as well so that may be next weeks task.

anyone else had any breakthroughs ??
R-Dub 7:13 PM - 5 October, 2012
was the foam you used soft or harder? i used real soft convoluted foam and went from skipping 5 or 6 times a night to ZERO, not a single skip in about 4 or 5 months now.

I'm also going to try and glue some sorbothane rubber on the underside of the CDJs feet and see how that works. (just so i dont have to carry around foam slabs) I'll report back
Dubford 8:19 PM - 5 October, 2012
ive tried with foam and without , last week i didnt use the foam and only had a couple of skips . so im really not shore what is going on with the situation.
R-Dub 3:59 PM - 8 October, 2012
a couple of skips is a couple too many as far as I'm concerned...
popnwave 5:45 PM - 8 October, 2012
Now that the Nexus is out, does anyone really think this issue will be resolved? (I sure don't)
phatbob 5:47 PM - 8 October, 2012
Pretty sure the new ones don't even support Scratch Live over HID at the moment so the question is moot... For now.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:40 AM - 9 October, 2012
Hey guys, the CDJ 900 Nexus is something we don't support now, but something we hope to do in the future hopefully :)
Chris Deluxe 9:11 AM - 10 October, 2012
I wish there could be anything said about resolving this issue. I mostly play out on SL's, but for the few times i play on CDJ's, i need to use traktor. I don't want to take 2 DVS with me all the time, and having to keep the 2 updated as well.
R-Dub 11:22 AM - 10 October, 2012
Chris, you can play fine on scratch live with control cd. skipping is ONLY an issue in HID mode
Chris Deluxe 8:09 PM - 10 October, 2012
Control CD is not working well at all. In heavy scratching (and especially juggling) it looses tracking, where tractor has absolutely no troubles following the timecode. When using CV's, Serato is the boss, en never lets me down.

For me, Traktor is the best on CDJ's, Serato is on vinyl.
R-Dub 8:17 PM - 10 October, 2012
OK, but thats not what this thread is about. it's about random skipping when playing a song. which is due to bass vibrations.
intensify 9:13 PM - 10 October, 2012
for the short time ive had the cdj 2000 (1month) before i exchanged it for the 2000 nexus, i kept them in my coffin for the 3 gigs ive used them for. had 2 qsc kw181 subs quite close to it and i never had the skipping problem.

i think the solution of adding foam to the bottom or keeping it in a coffin/single cases helps out alot
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:55 AM - 11 October, 2012
Just an FYI guys: serato.com

However, I am sure that if you already experiencing some HID vibration issues you wouldn't be jumping to the Nexus model straight away.
R-Dub 4:01 PM - 23 October, 2012
This past weekend i tried another fix for this skipping issue. I bought some
sorbothane stick-on feet from Amazon. I used them instead of the foam slabs
(that i have been using up to this point to fix the problem). GOOD NEWS, they worked!
no skipping at all, not once all night. as i posted earlier i was getting skipping all night
before i came up with the foam work around. now i dont have to cart around foam to my
gigs. i just stuck these feet on and although it raises the CDJ by 3/4" it's worth it. here's
the link:

www.amazon.com

sorbothane comes in different durometers (hardnesses). i bought the 50 duro. they
are very soft, and give the CDJs an almost "suspension" type feel.
DeeJay Staas 11:06 PM - 23 October, 2012
you are using Rubber Bumper and the foam together ?!
R-Dub 11:14 PM - 23 October, 2012
no need for foam now. that was the whole reason for trying the rubber bumpers, so i
dont have to carry around the foam slabs.
djvtyme85 4:19 AM - 31 October, 2012
to be honest if you get a nexus i see no need to use Serato, so why would Pioneer even support HID mode?
intensify 4:15 PM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
to be honest if you get a nexus i see no need to use Serato, so why would Pioneer even support HID mode?

there is still a need to use serato if you're mixing music videos. plus im sure alot of people including me that does not want to switch to another program like rekordbox

heres a post from the pioneer dj forums

Quote:
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

It's on both ends as the new display requires adjustment from both teams. It's expected that we'll see an update with support for HID in early 2013.

October 26, 2012 12:46
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:36 PM - 31 October, 2012
Hey intensify, where did you get that information? From the Pioneer forums?
intensify 4:31 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey intensify, where did you get that information? From the Pioneer forums?

yes i saw it on the pioneer forums. heres the link to it

forums.pioneerdj.com
djvtyme85 5:25 PM - 5 November, 2012
Yea your right about video. Not getting to that field myself. Other than that rekord box is a better program if your into pio products, Serato is only needed when I use my turntables
n1mbus 12:11 PM - 19 November, 2012
Quote:
Yea your right about video. Not getting to that field myself. Other than that rekord box is a better program if your into pio products, Serato is only needed when I use my turntables

Rekordbox is the worst unstable piece of crapware I have ever seen associated with any main-stream DJ product.
R-Dub 4:36 PM - 19 November, 2012
i've used both rekorbox and serato. serato WINS. no matter what CD player/turntable your using. how does the CDJ nexus all of a sudden negate the need for serato djvtymi85?
North-Rider 4:52 PM - 19 November, 2012
My thought process.....

By removing the HID from nexus makes you set hot cues, loops, etc on rekordbox and if you want to change your gear you are more likely to stick to Pioneer/Rekordbox due to amount of info and time spent working on the software rather thank having to set them all over again. I currently own the nexus and I'm doing just that, using rekordbox but I'm also keeping my serato library up to date just in case is doesn't end up working out.
djvtyme85 10:38 PM - 19 November, 2012
i like the feel of not having to have my laptop out at gigs. i started using Serato late 2008, up until then was still carrying out my vinyl. For me Serato is great when i want to mix with my 1200s at the crib but i dont foresee taking them out anymore. Why not manage my music at home like i used go to gigs with what i pulled for it. I dont need all of my library all the time and i dont like staring at the screen. So this is a very attractive option
n1mbus 3:55 AM - 30 November, 2012
The good thing about rekordbox is that it gives those retards who just play cd's an excuse to get with the 21st century and start organizing tunes before a set... instead of biting their thumbs at anyone who brings a laptop to a club (and saying "djing is all about beat mixing maaaan")

Its just a shame that I am yet to see Rekordbox work properly... Does it work better on MAC than on PC.. coz it locks up, crashes etc... plus have you noticed that the DENON equivalent actually loads the entire song into the player... so if the program crashes (or your usb gets yanked) the song keeps playing... nice one!
djdavidvaux 8:00 PM - 30 December, 2012
I can confirm the following is true.

Advanced HID issues with skipping, audio dropouts, and slowdowns are bass/vibration based.

I did some tests with different variables to prove this.

Did a set in my home, with the bass turned allthe way down. NO ISSUES.
Did a second set, with bass turned up to a normal volume. Random issues.
Had a set in a venue where the bass was really causing rumble issues and the stage was not isolated, CONSTANT ISSUES.

I've even had issues where the CDJs would disconnect and not allow me to relink them.... until i turn them off and on.

I've tested these variables on 2 different laptops. 2 different sets of cdj2000s, and different usb hubs (powered and non).

It's clear that some how, some way, the bass frequency AND/OR vibration is causing some type of interference or hiccup in the CDJ2000 during advanced HID mode.

Very odd.
n1mbus 7:02 AM - 31 December, 2012
I have had the non-start issue too..
when you first connect a CDJ2000 to the laptop its a good idea to plug in the usb, make sure the driver is loaded, then turn the unit off and on again. This will reset the CDJ and maybe save you problems later.

As for the bass vibrations... there is nothing you can do about this besides reading above about rubber, or foam shock absorbers, or re-building the whole dj booth.

This issue is a permanent one and it will not go away.

HOPEFULLY the Nexus version has addressed this issue. ?????
Daniel Ventura 2:07 PM - 31 December, 2012
just use traktor with the cdjs it works perfectly with 400/900/2k/2knxs.
serato advanced hid is way too buggy :-/
the_black_one 8:45 AM - 28 January, 2013
The skipping is getting out of control from me. Too many times tonight.
the_black_one 7:33 AM - 2 February, 2013
2 inch foam.... no skip!!!
dj-dave-d 12:53 PM - 2 February, 2013
i use squash balls cut in half under each corner of the 2000's since then i have had no problems
JayDJ130 10:36 AM - 27 July, 2013
Is this an issue with the 2000nexus players? Has anyone tested since 2.5 came out?
Daniel Ventura 11:01 AM - 27 July, 2013
Obviously there are similiar issues with thr nexus...
WarpNote 6:39 PM - 27 July, 2013
Have you tested cdj2000nexus with 2.5 yet, Daniel Ventura?
Considering getting them, some real world experience needed before
spending that kind of dough...
Daniel Ventura 6:57 PM - 27 July, 2013
Not tested myself cause i only work with Traktor when using cdjs. Friends using serato 2.5 with them and told me it still skips in bass environments.
Code:E 7:36 PM - 27 July, 2013
Quote:
Obviously there are similiar issues with thr nexus...

not Obviously. Unlessd you have tested don't speak.

Quote:
Is this an issue with the 2000nexus players? Has anyone tested since 2.5 came out?

I have tested 2.5 with the old cdj2000 and the issue is this there. It a hardware issue with CDJ's. But I have not seen anyone who test with the new nexus players.
Daniel Ventura 8:02 PM - 27 July, 2013
No Hardware issue Traktor can handle them perfectly ;-)
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:57 AM - 28 July, 2013
Serato have confirmed cdj 2000 nexus has the same issue as the cdj 2000 with skipping. They are however working on a total rewite for the hole cdj range.... Tick tock your guess is as good as anyones when that will be.

Is a shame!! Serato need to step up there game BIG TIME!!!
Code:E 2:20 AM - 28 July, 2013
WTF seriously
Daniel Ventura 11:20 AM - 28 July, 2013
i've given it up half year ago with serato and cjds... Traktor works flawless without skipping, without wire chaos just plug n Play with crispy spdif out. even mixvibes works like a charm without skipping etc.
Dubford 10:35 AM - 29 July, 2013
well i dont work at the venue where i was having these issues but before i left then did a update and it seemed to sort it for me . i now use 950's at one venue (with a huge bass big under me) and dont have a issue . also use 350's for private events i do for a company and there fine too.
R-Dub 2:23 AM - 7 August, 2013
the issue is directly related to how well the bass/vibrations are isolated from the players. You can use the CDJs in HID mode in extreme bass environments as long as the DJ booth is very well isolated OR the CDJs themselves are very well isolated.
I very strongly suggest using sorbothane under the CDJs feet. Sorbothane is the best material in the world for isolating vibrations. you can buy buy half circle stick on bumpers or buy a sheet and cut it into little squares. I've done both and both work excellent.
LilSwann 5:24 PM - 7 August, 2013
Quote:
the issue is directly related to how well the bass/vibrations are isolated from the players. You can use the CDJs in HID mode in extreme bass environments as long as the DJ booth is very well isolated OR the CDJs themselves are very well isolated.
I very strongly suggest using sorbothane under the CDJs feet. Sorbothane is the best material in the world for isolating vibrations. you can buy buy half circle stick on bumpers or buy a sheet and cut it into little squares. I've done both and both work excellent.

Might need to look into this for turntables good look R-Dub.
n1mbus 3:50 AM - 14 August, 2013
A mass suspension table works best for turntables. Foam is great for CDJ, but Air is the best insulator for turntables... and the heavier you can make them the better.
msoultan 12:19 AM - 22 December, 2013
I just want to add to this thread - I have 900s and it always seems to happen when I'm in the mix, so when two decks are playing. Also, it always seems to happen when I'm making a slight pitch adjustment. Lastly, it doesn't matter if you're in VINYL mode or not, it will still happen.

It never happens at home, only at parties, so I'm wondering if it's environmental. I'm gonna try switching over to the timecode again because this is driving me nuts.

BTW, is this issue going to be fixed in Serato DJ?

Mike
easyG 12:00 PM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
BTW, is this issue going to be fixed in Serato DJ?

Serato says yes -> serato.com
R-Dub 8:23 PM - 23 December, 2013
does anyone notice this happening on one deck more than the other?
msoultan 2:26 AM - 16 February, 2014
r-dub, I don't know how to tell which deck it's happening on because all I notice is a stutter and then I gotta fix it quick. It does always seen to happen while I'm in the middle of a mix.. go figure!

That being said, switching to timecode completely cleared the problem, so no HID until this issue is completely ironed out in SDJ, if it isn't already.

Mike
easyG 1:32 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
That being said, switching to timecode completely cleared the problem, so no HID until this issue is completely ironed out in SDJ, if it isn't already.

The skipping issue is fixed in SDJ, but there are now several other issues that need to be fixed that weren't there in SSL. You can read about them here > serato.com

To put it short, HID in SDJ is not club environment ready in version 1.6.
R-Dub 7:05 PM - 16 February, 2014
Yes! this skipping seems to be getting worse! I had previously used sorbothane rubber under the decks to isolate them from vibrations. this worked for the past year or so. But now it's happening again, even with the sorbothane! Always happens In The Mix! The ONLY way i've worked around this is to NEVER touch the platter in the mix, i've gone back to mixing old school 1200 style - I pitch chase, never touching the platter. It sucks cause I've moved away from this style of mixing ever since i got on CDJs. Looks like we are going to have to live with it though because Serato def WILL NOT be fixing this and SDJ SUCKS and is unusable as far as I'm concerned.
DJ P... Da don 3:13 PM - 14 April, 2014
Hi Team,

So I first thought I was pretty drunk or really bad at beatmatching when I first experienced this but like everyone on this thread I too now conclude that it's a software bug.

- Do we know if such bug exists with the SL3 and Serato DJ?

I have gotten the chance of playing at one of the biggest clubs in the scene and now I pretty much have no confidence when DJing with 2000/2000 nexus in HID mode as this mishap make me sound like a rookie :(

Other people have advised me to switch to traktor, the reason why I'm writing here is because I LOVE serato, but also tired of being let down with this issue!!

Thanks,
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:39 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Hi Team,

So I first thought I was pretty drunk or really bad at beatmatching when I first experienced this but like everyone on this thread I too now conclude that it's a software bug.

I have gotten the chance of playing at one of the biggest clubs in the scene and now I pretty much have no confidence when DJing with 2000/2000 nexus in HID mode as this mishap make me sound like a rookie :(

Other people have advised me to switch to traktor, the reason why I'm writing here is because I LOVE serato, but also tired of being let down with this issue!!

Thanks,

Yes it is fixed in serato dj.
DJ P... Da don 4:00 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Team,

Thanks,

Yes it is fixed in serato dj.

I'm picking up an SL3 this afternoon, fingers crossed :)
R-Dub 4:13 PM - 14 April, 2014
It's fixed in SDJ, but SDJ sux with the 2000s. you will lose the auto loop feature. so i stick with Scratch Live and never touch the platter when in a mix. just "pitch chase" old school style when in the mix.
DJ P... Da don 4:27 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
It's fixed in SDJ, but SDJ sux with the 2000s. you will lose the auto loop feature. so i stick with Scratch Live and never touch the platter when in a mix. just "pitch chase" old school style when in the mix.

The Autoloop doesn't work in the SL if using 2000 Nexus players, does work like wonder with the regular 2000 ones.

So...
- SDJ drops auto loop with 2000s?????
- SSL drops auto loop with 2000 Nexus????

Please let me know as I personally dislike SDJ and may end up shooting myself in the foot if lose the Autoloop functionality on the 2000s.... this makes no sense whatsoever

Thanks,
R-Dub 4:38 PM - 14 April, 2014
yes, SDJ has dropped auto loop feature with the 2000's. they say that they will
bring it back in a future update, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

serato.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:43 PM - 14 April, 2014
Serato DJ is a joke and no one is laughing
DJ P... Da don 5:05 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Serato DJ is a joke and no one is laughing

I truly don't know what to do or say, I really dislike Serato DJ, it's ugly, clunky, slow, for what? some effects I don't even bother about??

SL was elegant, slender, the looping functionality wasn't hidden like within SDJ, simple and fast!!

I guess the solution would be get the SL3, use it at places where they have the Nexus players as well as hold on to my SL1 and use it at home or other places with 2000s

Or sadly enough move on and start using RekodBox and USBs....

Your move #Serato
Dj DC 23 10:48 AM - 20 April, 2014
Hi All,

Yeah i agree with DJ P!

I'm a mobile disco company/ Dj and I've been using Serato Scratch Live for about two years or more and touch wood had no issues running my SL2 with 2 x CDJ 2000's in HID mode which is perfect as it leaves the CDJ clear to play cd's in a separate line in the mixer.
When they changed over to Serato DJ I decided to buy the new Pioneer DJM 900 SRT which as a mixer is amazing, But when you run it through usb mode in Serato DJ the CDJ's become very glitchy the indicator needle skips and sound sometimes also skips this is not professional and is very frustrating. So i reverted back to my SL2 setup exactly how I had it before and it was still the same. So for now until Serato can sort this problem out in Serato DJ I personally have gone back to Serato Scratch It's more reliable.
PLEASE SERATO SORT THIS HID MODE PROBLEM OUT!!
Thanks
DJ P... Da don 2:01 PM - 11 May, 2014
Or just do like Microsoft and recognize that as Windows 8 SDJ is a bugged software and fix it or improve SSL
Code:E 3:11 AM - 12 May, 2014
You should know
Quote:
or improve SSL
will never happen, SSL is a discontinued software and won't be updating it. All software has bugs and I am one very vocal ones holding Serato's feet to the fire about fixing bugs and getting SDJ up to SSL's level. DJ P just try to be a little more constructive when you ask for things to be fixed. Don't be ignorant just demand they fix the whole software when that is an impossibility.
DJ P... Da don 3:21 AM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:
You should know
Quote:
or improve SSL
will never happen, SSL is a discontinued software and won't be updating it. All software has bugs and I am one very vocal ones holding Serato's feet to the fire about fixing bugs and getting SDJ up to SSL's level. DJ P just try to be a little more constructive when you ask for things to be fixed. Don't be ignorant just demand they fix the whole software when that is an impossibility.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I'm not being ignorant, it's just software aka code aka binary, I know how the game works as during the day I'm an IT professional, just that SSL was awesome Windows 7 and SDJ is windows 8... just a reference, or would it work better with Centos 5 and Centos 6 not to be too touchy?

And patient I've been :)

Saludos
Justin Valentino Vallario 4:29 AM - 17 January, 2015
I have been using SSL for around 3 years with time coded cds and never had this same problem with the skipping until I was using the Cdj 2000 nexuses. I play at Candy's Apartment and they have 2 Cdj 2000 nexuses and 1 Cdj 2000. I use SSL with time coded Cds on the CDJ 2000 and no skipping happens! when I use the CDJ 2000 nexus it usually skips through the songs (especially when I'm mixing songs and sometimes it creates a trainwreck and gets really frustrating) it was weird though because I updated the firmware on them a few months ago and 1 of the nexuses wasn't skipping and now they both skip again which sucks. I have decided to use a USB on the CDJ 2000 nexus and SSL on the CDJ 2000.
Code:E 5:22 AM - 17 January, 2015
Justin If you are not using HID mode (which means NOT using timecodes), you are not having the same issue as described in this thread.
Justin Valentino Vallario 6:55 AM - 17 January, 2015
Yes I know I'm not using HID mode, but I'm just stating I'm having the same issue as with Time Coded Cds.
Code:E 7:24 PM - 17 January, 2015
Quote:
Yes I know I'm not using HID mode, but I'm just stating I'm having the same issue as with Time Coded Cds.
I'm sure you are have a similer issue but it's not caused by the same reason. The HID issues is a software issue. You are (most likely) haveing a bass vibration issue.
Justin Valentino Vallario 3:21 AM - 18 January, 2015
Yea pretty similar. Ok, I might try and those rubber/foam pads and see if that helps.
Thanks
DJ T-Rev 11:07 AM - 27 April, 2015
Thinking about trying Serato Dj. Is this issue fixed with this software or will I still have the same problem?
DJ P... Da don 11:10 AM - 27 April, 2015
Fixed!!
travietime 4:47 AM - 12 December, 2015
I'm at a gig right now and it just stared happening. This does not happen at home. I'm very VERY afraid this will happen during the set. I've tried to move the Cdj away from the booth monitor. Cross fingers guys... Wanna give people a pleasant holiday party!!