DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

building a custom dj table

ninos 10:38 PM - 4 February, 2012
im building a table in my shop class for school. its gunna but my tt's battle style and my 57 flush. www.djfurniture.nl <-- the white table with he square edges.

thats what were gunna build, but im not too sure how yo get everytihng wired up in there? like any idea on how to wire it up so eveyrthings hidden? i want just 1 main power plug that comes from the leg of the table and that will power everything up!
DJ Michael Basic 5:10 AM - 5 February, 2012
All you gotta do is hide a power strip in there, and run the wire down the inside of one of the legs, do the same with a couple xlrs, and rcas, and wire it up like this:

www.djfurniture.nl
ninos 6:33 AM - 5 February, 2012
so for the power bar then, id plug in all my tt's and mixer into the power strip, then were would the power strip connect too? like what type of connecter for the internal power strip to connect too. like this

power strip male > femal plug in the leg > then how to plug it to the power source in the house

like on that picture of the connecters where can i get the power one? whats it called?
ninos 6:35 AM - 5 February, 2012
would this work form the interal power stip male to femal, then female part just have hanging outside the leg or mounted there and then just buy a power cable that connects to the house outlet then to that on leg?
ninos 6:35 AM - 5 February, 2012
ninos 6:37 AM - 5 February, 2012
would this work form the interal power stip male to femal, then female part just have hanging outside the leg or mounted there and then just buy a power cable that connects to the house outlet then to that on leg?
ninos 6:37 AM - 5 February, 2012
double post fail
Dj Bacik 6:19 AM - 6 February, 2012
Try one of these.

www.pssl.com!hTwx-KzGUmr7gN-mkJRGzA!/AC-Recessed-Mountable-Male-AC-Plug-s
radikarl 9:56 AM - 6 February, 2012
i would use one of these: upload.wikimedia.org
slimmjimm 1:41 PM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:

Please don't do that this way. If I'm thinking of what you just said correctly, you want to have a female plug on the outside, you would then need a male to male adapter to plug into the wall. While that could be "theoretically" ok, assuming they ALWAYS stayed plugged into each other, in the chance that the plug came disconnected from the female table end, you would have a live male plug just waiting to zap the shit out of you.

Your best bet is to find something like radikarl posted, and have that wired up into something like this: www.lowes.com or, use the same power strip with a male plug on the end with something like this: www.parts-express.com

That's just what I found with a quick search, you could find a bit better options if you dig a bit deeper. Everything that you're looking to do has pretty readily available components, so you shouldn't have a hard time locating them online, or around you.
ninos 2:02 PM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
i would use one of these: upload.wikimedia.org

this is exactly what im going to use, then just mount it on the outside part of the leg
ninos 2:06 PM - 6 February, 2012
im heading to the local music shop after to school to get some xlr adapters and usb adapters for the legs!!
DJ Michael Basic 8:21 PM - 6 February, 2012
Yes the keywords of what you want are "RECESSED" and "MOUNTABLE"
ninos 7:49 PM - 27 February, 2012
well i started the table, i complete the legs, 6inches wide by 2 ft deep and 3 feet tall.

for the wiring were going to cut the end of a power bar and sodler it to a femal plug that will be mounted on the outside of the leg,

i have a usb > usb adapted that will be mounted on the top of the table for the 57.

for the headphone jack i bought a small 1/4' to 1/4' plug, going to snip 1 end of if that will solder to the 1/4 adapted plug that will be mounted onto of the table were my headphones will plug in.

same with the XLR'S, xlrs main out from the mixer, snip the end then solder them to the males that will be mounted on the outside of the leg!! will post up pics wen i get home from school!
edsonr 12:06 AM - 28 February, 2012
Nice...looking forwarding to seeing the pics...I've been thinking about building one myself.
ninos 12:16 AM - 28 February, 2012
heres a pic of the legs, the table is made up of 3 seperate boxes that ill put together after, 2 boxes for legs and the top part which i havent started yet, tomorow, as i just finished the legs today! the top is going to be 5 feet long.
img39.imageshack.us
ninos 12:42 AM - 28 February, 2012
some hardware pics:

usb b > a = usb out from 57 is usb b, then it will plug into the usb b part of this plug, the plug will mount flush on the top of the table and boom usb from there to the computer! img85.imageshack.us

this is the headphone jack, i have a 3 foot 1/4 > 1/4 inch cable that will plug into the headphone output on the 57, ill snip the other end of it and solder it to this then i will mount this on the top of the table!
img528.imageshack.us

all the junk
img839.imageshack.us

thats that power plug that will mount on the leg, im going to snip the end of the power bar and solder it to this that will mount of the leg, then i got some free XLR cables, ill plug em in to the main 57 out, run them down the side of the leg, snip the ends and solder them to the mounts that are in the pic, mount those on the leg then boom from those straight to the speakers!!
img542.imageshack.us
radikarl 2:55 AM - 28 February, 2012
i think for the power connection you got the wrong one. You most likely want the opposite of what you have
ninos 3:53 AM - 28 February, 2012
I need a femal end to be mounted On the leg?
radikarl 6:07 AM - 28 February, 2012
the one you have IS a female.
you need a male.
just grab your TTM 57 mixer and look what it has on the Back and what goes into it
ninos 6:21 AM - 28 February, 2012
the 57 power outlet is male. im plugging my tt's and mixer into the power bar. then snipping the power bar which is male to solder to the femal peice i have that will mount on the leg.

i couldnt do male from the leg to the outlet in my house which is female? so basically a male to male power cord?
ancientyouth 1:02 PM - 28 February, 2012
Yo nino you are lag bolting those legs to attach to the table so you can disassemble it when you move it right ?
ninos 7:30 PM - 28 February, 2012
Not sure yet man. Might just put it all together and leave it since its gunna be chillin in my room and no were else.

Today is class i wood filled all the edges on the legs and sanded them down. Nice and smooth ( nm).
DJ Super Mario 9:59 PM - 28 February, 2012
Ninos, Wouldn't you want a C13 -Male (www.americord.com) type connector mounted on your table so you can just attach a standard power cord from it to an outlet?
ninos 11:31 PM - 28 February, 2012
well yea thats what i was aiming for, they dont make male to male power cables? how would i even mount that cord, no bracket on it? i mean i could make it work. damn so much work!
DJ Super Mario 5:08 AM - 29 February, 2012
They sell a jack with the same type of C13 connection somewhere. I've bought some before. I'll search for ya in a bit and let you know if I find them...
jbnyc 8:32 AM - 29 February, 2012
Ninos, what i did was, i had an old computer tower and i took the power supply out and opened it and took out the "outlet" (if we can call it that) and also the on/off switch, then i cut off the end of the power strip where would connect the the turn tables,mixer and other things and i just soldered them together, in the pic you can see the switch and the cables already stripped from the power strip

i641.photobucket.com

and this is how its going to look,the good thing about the switch is that you leave everything on inside the table and you can turn everything on and off with one push of a button :D any more questions let me know...

i641.photobucket.com
ninos 1:31 PM - 29 February, 2012
I see. So u cut the end of the power bar. Soldered it to the plug that you have mounted to the leg.
Musically Minded 1:44 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
I see. So u cut the end of the power bar. Soldered it to the plug that you have mounted to the leg.

Nino's i did the same kinda thing, but with my case for my DDJ-S1 check it out
serato.com
ninos 6:34 PM - 29 February, 2012
Nice exactly what i wanted to see. I got it now. Perfect!
ninos 10:44 PM - 1 March, 2012
heres a little update for anyone who really cares, haha this thread isint doing to good!

i cut the top, its 5 feet long by 2 feet deep, going to finish up the top tomorow and next week. also drilled the xlr outs in the side of the leg, drilling the power one tomorow.

any suggestion on paint colors? i was thinking glossy piano black?
img441.imageshack.us img535.imageshack.us
Frankie Glasses 11:39 PM - 1 March, 2012
Napoleon Dynamite is in your class?!?! Cool!!!
ninos 12:23 AM - 2 March, 2012
ahahahhaha my boy devyn!
Logisticalstyles 2:41 AM - 2 March, 2012
Looks good. I'm sure others like me have stopping by checking out the progress. Keep posting pictures up.
ninos 2:42 AM - 2 March, 2012
thanks man, its coming along. ill update it everyday!
Jim 3:23 AM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:
Looks good. I'm sure others like me have stopping by checking out the progress. Keep posting pictures up.

+1
sixxx 4:31 AM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:
Yes the keywords of what you want are "RECESSED" and "MOUNTABLE"

That's what she said. lol

nm
DJ Pullout 1:58 PM - 2 March, 2012
Im def tracking this thread.....keep the pics coming. Its helpful if I ever get off my lazy ass.
ninos 5:43 PM - 2 March, 2012
I just finished jigsawing out the power out hole. She fits like a glove. Will post pics wen i get home. Starting the top monday.
O.B.1 6:55 PM - 2 March, 2012
Piano Gloss Black would look good. I've seen some white DJ desks that look nice too. (also if you have black TT's the contrast looks nice IMO. As an analogy, they say dirt shows up more on a black painted vehicle, than a white.
DJ Pullout 9:02 PM - 2 March, 2012
to get the white polish look its white flat paint with a clear gloss over it right?

Are there any other better ways to get that white glossy look?
Logisticalstyles 9:16 PM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:
to get the white polish look its white flat paint with a clear gloss over it right?

Are there any other better ways to get that white glossy look?

Tha,t plus lots of wet sanding gradually going to a finer grit. I'm not sure if that applies to wood, but I had to do that to get the piano black look on my Technics.
DJ Pullout 9:31 PM - 2 March, 2012
you serious? You sanded down your techs?

You got pics you could post? I would love to see a before and after shot....or in process.
HYDRO MATIC 9:58 PM - 2 March, 2012
Quote:

You got pics you could post? I would love to see a before and after shot....or in process.

+1

(side note learning more about painting on this forum then any diy forum ive ever been on lol)
Logisticalstyles 1:07 AM - 3 March, 2012
yep. I sanded them down to the aluminum. I don't have many in the process shots but I'll get the before and after shots.
Logisticalstyles 2:09 AM - 3 March, 2012
Before: a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

After: sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net

That was done about a year ago with spray cans and lots of sand paper. My friend has an auto body paint shop and I'm planning on stripping them again and letting him paint them professionally. My crappy flight cases messed up the finish a little, but they still look presentable. I'm also going to use the next painting as an opportunity to finish replacing my 33/45 LEDs and the Power/strobe LEDs.
DJ Pullout 4:21 PM - 5 March, 2012
dude.....that is so dope.
AKIEM 4:28 PM - 5 March, 2012
why no pop-up?
Logisticalstyles 4:51 PM - 5 March, 2012
I already swapped those out when I first painted them. I used the wrong size LED at the time, so I still might change them again. The easiest light to change was the pitch lock LED.

Ninos, have you decided on a color for the table yet?
ninos 5:06 PM - 5 March, 2012
Yea. Doing a glosy piano black. And then ear coat it too. Im getting the 62 and new decks so i have to wait to start the top part. Right now im cutting and soldering the wires together!
AKIEM 5:09 PM - 5 March, 2012
hahaa "ear coat" - what the hell is that? lol :)
peds 5:41 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:

here's mines i did a couple of years ago
picasaweb.google.com
DJ Pullout 6:38 PM - 5 March, 2012
^Link didnt work....
DJ Pullout 6:53 PM - 5 March, 2012
Wow.....customizing your turntables seems pretty easy.

Wet sand them down and customize the color paint. That is so dope.

Should I follow this guy on youtube?

Watchwww.youtube.com
lvmez 8:06 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

picasaweb.google.com

those are my pics. wtf?
ninos 8:13 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
hahaa "ear coat" - what the hell is that? lol :)

Hahaha clear coat. Stupid iphone typing
Musically Minded 8:16 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

picasaweb.google.com

well when i hit the link its goes to my photos as well! WTF? Lol Broken Link!

those are my pics. wtf?
Musically Minded 8:16 PM - 5 March, 2012
qutoe fail
lvmez 8:22 PM - 5 March, 2012
by who?

the pics that peds posted are from my account. all of them.
Musically Minded 8:39 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
by who?

quote fail by me,

when i hit peds link, it goes to my picasa web pics as well, so that link peds put up is definately bad.
lvmez 8:39 PM - 5 March, 2012
oh, oops. lol. my bad.
Musically Minded 8:41 PM - 5 March, 2012
Quote:
oh, oops. lol. my bad.

lol, all good!
DJ Pullout 1:38 PM - 6 March, 2012
lol. That was an amazing fail.
ninos 7:09 PM - 7 March, 2012
well today i soldered my first ever XLR cable. went pretty smooth. lots of intricate work. will post up a pic when i get home from school. the top wont be started for about a week untill my new setup comes in. 2x techncis sl 1210mk2's, and a rane 62. :)
ninos 2:07 AM - 8 March, 2012
liil bit of sodleringgggg
img191.imageshack.us
peds 2:15 PM - 8 March, 2012
Quote:
by who?

dont think so
so what you trying to say...
DJ LDN 12:13 PM - 10 March, 2012
Quote:
...thats that power plug that will mount on the leg, im going to snip the end of the power bar and solder it to this that will mount of the leg...

img542.imageshack.us

Are you still thinking of using this socket? Please don't. This is an outlet socket not an inlet. If you use this, the plug that you will have to connect to it will have the live pins bare putting you or others at risk of electric shock. This is especially important if you're mounting it at floor level where small children might be able to unplug it. Also you will have the danger of the pins arcing and causing a fire.

These are the connectors that you want:

For flush mounting in the leg - upload.wikimedia.org - the IEC C14. I would use the C16 version of this connector if I was you, I just couldn't find a pic on Wikipedia.

For connecting from wall socket - upload.wikimedia.org - the IEC C13. Likewise, I would use the C15 version of this.

If you're going to all the trouble of making this table I would do it right. Get the correct connectors. Also I would heat shrink over your soldered joints too, or use the tubing that you apply with Hellerman pliers.

Stay safe man.
AKIEM 12:16 PM - 10 March, 2012
take a look at these

www.google.com
DJ LDN 12:17 PM - 10 March, 2012
Yes I was going to suggest Neutrik powercons, but the IEC is easier to track down.
AKIEM 12:22 PM - 10 March, 2012
I just added those to a box, pretty cool unless you want them to break away if someone trips the wire.
DJ LDN 12:24 PM - 10 March, 2012
Which ones, the IEC or powercons?
AKIEM 12:33 PM - 10 March, 2012
I used the powercons.
I was just thinking how the IEC would break away instead off pull everything down if the cable was yanked.
DJ LDN 1:05 PM - 10 March, 2012
Hmmm, I know what you're saying. The IEC is pretty solid though and I think it would still pull everything down if someone were to trip on the cable.
ninos 7:29 PM - 21 March, 2012
plans have changed, not doing a flush mount anymore. i didnt want to have to be taking em out and shit for gigs, just too much work. table top is going to be flat, still working on the desing, will keep ya updated!
Joee 7:41 PM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:
plans have changed, not doing a flush mount anymore. i didnt want to have to be taking em out and shit for gigs, just too much work. table top is going to be flat, still working on the desing, will keep ya updated!

how bout if you make the tt's flush with the table top , but you have a removable table top
2Seven 7:44 PM - 21 March, 2012
Or keep them flush with the top but have the front cut out (like for cdj's) so you can easily still access them to remove from the front?
O.B.1 9:43 PM - 21 March, 2012
or just get another pair of decks, one for home and one for gigs...
(probably the most expensive option)
ninos 11:58 PM - 21 March, 2012
well i was going to do the top were is folds up, have hinges on the back of it but i dont know. well see
dj.bigdes 12:17 AM - 30 March, 2012
Interesting! Definitely wanna check out the finished product!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:59 AM - 30 March, 2012
Yeah when is the beta release date??? ;)
ninos 1:29 AM - 30 March, 2012
Coming soon guys. Top peice should hopefully go in tomorow. Working slow. Measure twice cut once
ninos 7:56 PM - 24 April, 2012
well shes done, primed it today, all wired up. throwing down the base and final coat tomorow, might do some leds underneather or something. but here it is for now! still got some shiz to do on it,

img545.imageshack.us
img525.imageshack.us
Frank Spinatra 8:24 PM - 24 April, 2012
Great project, I just built mine on top of an ikea "Billy" 8 section bookcase. It would be great to have the electrical built in though, nice.
AKIEM 11:46 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:
well shes done, primed it today, all wired up. throwing down the base and final coat tomorow, might do some leds underneather or something. but here it is for now! still got some shiz to do on it,

img545.imageshack.us
img525.imageshack.us

nice
ninos 2:44 AM - 25 April, 2012
heres the primer! cant wait to set it all up, i got jet black with high gloss for the color.

img804.imageshack.us