Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

The Bridge waiting on Ableton Live 9?

SiNFM 11:43 PM - 17 January, 2012
Ableton have yet to announce anything new this year for NAMM.

With the release of competitive product Bitwig Studio... I imagine that Ableton will announce Live 9.

Maybe Serato can't announce the Bridge because they are waiting on Ableton.
hologram 11:55 PM - 17 January, 2012
poor Serato, can't win for loosing.
finally got video but now we want bridge hehe
hologram 11:55 PM - 17 January, 2012
bah losing
pdidy 12:44 AM - 18 January, 2012
@ SiNFM .....Welcome to the serato forum.
SiNFM 12:48 AM - 18 January, 2012
pdidy 12:59 AM - 18 January, 2012
BTW...there is no real demand for the Bridge. Take a look at the Bridge section its dead. just a few guys like u asking for it. the Bridge has been out over a year on sl an basically nobody uses it. but hey u mite get lucky a get your wish in a few days at namm.
SiNFM 1:05 AM - 18 January, 2012
Ive been using Ableton Live for years for production and djing. I bought Twitch for Live but recently decided to give itch a shot. Im really liking Itch but with the Bridge it would be even better.
DJ Cs 2:01 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
BTW...there is no real demand for the Bridge. Take a look at the Bridge section its dead. just a few guys like u asking for it. the Bridge has been out over a year on sl an basically nobody uses it. but hey u mite get lucky a get your wish in a few days at namm.

Interesting, why do you think it's not having better reception? I did hear about problems with it and if you didn't have Rane mixers, the main features weren't even enabled.

However, I just briefly glanced over since "IT'S NOT AVAILABLE FOR ITCH"!!!!
pdidy 2:41 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, why do you think it's not having better reception? I did hear about problems with it and if you didn't have Rane mixers, the main features weren't even enabled.

However, I just briefly glanced over since "IT'S NOT AVAILABLE FOR ITCH"!!!!

When the bridge was first introduced a year ago, everybody claimed they had to have it!!!!.
In my honest opinion," Then reality kicked in......."
1. High learning curve - many cant figure out how to configure an use ableton which led to them just giving up.

2. Price of hardware and software. - Many didn't consider this prior to claiming they wanted it. Ableton $300 + ttm57sl $1300 + Akai APC40 $250 + Macbook pro $1300= $3150 in gear. For many this was a deal breaker.

3. Real world usage - It great for producers an live performance djs but most djs just want to dj top 40 in a club or bar an keep it simple.
Dj Ace 3:26 AM - 18 January, 2012
just because there are not a lot of post doesn't mean "nobody" is using it. It just means people are not having problems!!!
haze324 3:50 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
just because there are not a lot of post doesn't mean "nobody" is using it. It just means people are not having problems!!!

Naw man. I've hardly found much info or folks using it and when you read the Bridge forum I've read lots of complaints on the sync function. I think the bridge functionality will go over much better with Itch users who are using controllers and have syncable decks than a guy with a two 1200's trying to squeeze an APC40 somewhere.

I recently played with a guy who had Traktor and Ableton synced and he did some really neat stuff. I've beeb playing strictly on SSL lately so I thought I'd look up some info on the bridge some videos, anything to see what it's about and I really couldn't find much. It wasn't the "game change" people thought it would be when it was first announced. Now Traktor is getting ready to release new sample deck features very similar with an integrated controller and already part of the software. So the desire for this type of functionality exists, I think it just hasn't grown much for Serato and Ableton for many of the reasons Pdidy just posted.

Hopefully it'll have a better shot with Itch.
DJ Urkel Dee 4:11 AM - 18 January, 2012
I hope so... Like I said in another post I picked up Ableton and extra pads just for The Bridges... So fingers crossed.
VinnyBlanc 4:17 AM - 18 January, 2012
I feel like this feature would be adopted more widely for itch users who are so locked down to 1:1 mapping on the controllers. This would have to open up the possibilities for itch users to (pardon the pun) bridge out to other hardware devices.
Stan Collins 8:19 AM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
I feel like this feature would be adopted more widely for itch users who are so locked down to 1:1 mapping on the controllers. This would have to open up the possibilities for itch users to (pardon the pun) bridge out to other hardware devices.

Totally agree.....
DJ Sidies 10:37 AM - 18 January, 2012
I have used bridge with SL since it cam out to record my mix tape. I have to say it rocks!
SiNFM 8:31 PM - 18 January, 2012
The ability to use Ableton Live warp analysis files as beatgrids would be an amazing feature for Itch & the Bridge...
dj xia1 10:00 PM - 18 January, 2012
When are we getting the Bridge for Itch??
VinnyBlanc 10:05 PM - 18 January, 2012
No official word....speculation is upon release of Live 9
DJ Urkel Dee 10:11 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:

+1
Deckgeneral 6:50 PM - 1 February, 2012
Live releases are always prior to Christmas, so 9 will be a way off, I am a Beta tester on previous versions and no word officially as yet.
Dj Kabrini Greens 10:54 PM - 1 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Dave The One 2:34 AM - 2 February, 2012
Hopefully Bridge will come out when they update the Video plugin. I too bought Ableton Live 8 suite to use with the bridge and will be picking up an Apc 40; hopefully the apc 40 will work along with my ns6.

Support for the APC 40 is key; in fact support for ableton live dedicated controllers is key for the bridge.
haze324 2:48 AM - 2 February, 2012
Its not coming with Video.
DJ Urkel Dee 3:07 AM - 2 February, 2012
This sucks
Dave The One 3:15 AM - 2 February, 2012
I'm patient; and anyway I like both programs in their own right. I do wish it would come sooner, in the meantime the 4 decks and the sp-6 will do with my NS6.
Dave The One 3:51 AM - 2 February, 2012
I didn't know Itch and the Bridge has been 2 years in the making. What on Earth is taking so long?

This video is from 2010 and is linked from Serato's website; Creating Beatgrids for Itch and The Bridge www.youtube.com

Sigh
DJ-spINFINITE 11:19 AM - 2 February, 2012
WE WANT THE BRIDGE, THERE IS A DEMAND!!! Don't discourage the developers, the bridge in ITCH is something I look forward to in every revision the team at serato has been putting forth! I really hope they are just waiting on the guys at ableton!!! cmon fellas get a move on this It would sure make alot of us extremely satisfied!
djcerla 12:51 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
WE WANT THE BRIDGE, THERE IS A DEMAND!!!

I'm not so sure ITCH user base and Ableton's overlap nicely.

ITCH means few options, easy setup, high reliability, whereas Ableton is tinkerer's heaven. I think the subsets hardly overlap (and the flop of Bridge on SSL is probably another reason why Bridge on ITCH is no top priority).

As opposite, I believe Serato Video makes much more sense for ITCH users, it will be a runaway hit and a big edge over the competition.
phatbob 1:13 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
WE WANT THE BRIDGE, THERE IS A DEMAND!!!

I'm not so sure ITCH user base and Ableton's overlap nicely.

ITCH means few options, easy setup, high reliability, whereas Ableton is tinkerer's heaven. I think the subsets hardly overlap (and the flop of Bridge on SSL is probably another reason why Bridge on ITCH is no top priority).

As opposite, I believe Serato Video makes much more sense for ITCH users, it will be a runaway hit and a big edge over the competition.

100% THIS
haze324 2:20 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
and the flop of Bridge on SSL is probably another reason why Bridge on ITCH is no top priority.

While I strongly believe this to be true, I think Bridge for Itch would be much more of a success than with SSL. SSL is a much larger robust set up (mixer, tables, soundcard, etc.) now try to add an APC 40 somewhere in there. It makes much more sense to use an APC 40 next to a Xone DX lets say, than two 1200's. Also Itch users are used to working with Sync, beatgrids, etc. And I also believe that abletons' ablitity to "tinker" while Itch is very streamlined answers much of the wants for users that want to customize/midi map their set ups.

I think there would be a larger fan base for the Bridge and Itch ESPECIALLY the mixtape function. Imagine that EVERY single Itch controller would be capable of using mixtape allowing for users to edit all of there recordings. Right now with SSL only the 57 and 68 provide this.

Having said that. I still don't think it's a priority for Itch anytime soon, and I personally would rather have the Bridge soley for the mixtape feature rather than having video. I won't use it anytime soon. Pretty neat though and definelty progress!
irieproductions 2:40 PM - 2 February, 2012
good point. i'd also love the mixtape functionality.
djcerla 2:54 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
good point. i'd also love the mixtape functionality.

mixtape is cool on paper and indeed very useful for a very restrict kind of DJ (those eager to include scratches and other tricks into their mixes).

However, most DJs release mixes that are simply mixed, more tightly as possible. Mixmeister studio excels at this, it's a much straightforward, cost-effective solution and it works really, really well.

I use it, too, for my mixes before bouncing the set into a 24 bit WAV, importing it into Logic Pro and adding bells, whistles and polish.
Dave The One 3:21 PM - 2 February, 2012
Delivering the bridge which has been 2 years in the making should take priority over Video.

Ok Serato; I watched your creating Beatgrids for Itch and the Bridge Video (that you posted August 8th 2010) hundreds of times, now what?
Watchwww.youtube.com
phatbob 3:48 PM - 2 February, 2012
You're reading that wrong, Dave The One.

That video shows you how to create beatgrids for Itch.

It ALSO shows you how to create beatgrids for the Bridge in SL.

They are the same process.

It does NOT show you how to create beatgrids for Itch + the Bridge together.
haze324 3:48 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:
Delivering the bridge which has been 2 years in the making should take priority over Video.

As a business decision Video should come first.

Video = success for SSL users, established user base of Video DJ's, generates profit for Serato with the sale of Serato Video licenses. Traktor does not offer video

Bridge = has not been a big success for SSL users, dependent on a thrid party application, cost the user significant money and generates no profit to Serato.

I think if Bridge for SSL was a huge a hit, there would be more force behind getting it to Itch, but really Video is much more of a success right now.
phatbob 3:54 PM - 2 February, 2012
VideoSL general discussion area: 82182 posts.

Bridge general discussion area: 1825 posts.

Even taking into account how long each product has been out, what do those numbers tell us about the respective demand for each product?

The Bridge is a sideshow, because the majority of users don't care about it.

I use it with SSL, it's great. But why would Serato make it a priority, based on numbers like that?
haze324 3:59 PM - 2 February, 2012
^ bingo.....
Dave The One 4:29 PM - 2 February, 2012
With all due respect , this is about what I want to do creatively and The Bridge is key for me; I don't care how many blog posts or ratios are compared with itch and live users or Seratos pie charts and saying "yeah this is why this or that makes sense"
I'm now another Serato Itch user that are growing in numbers, I already feel the favoritism toward the resources that are put into scratch live and itch getting scraps/leftovers.

WTF?! Give us the Bridge already!

PhatBob; Yes I saw that; a bit misleading but you can search these forums and see that Serato have been chiming in saying that bridge for itch is being worked on.
There's even an FAQ asking where is bridge for itch?

I'm patient but damn I went through this with scratch SE plugin which they ended up abandoning altogether in favor of ssl.

Give us the ---king Bridge already so I can stop feeling like I own Serato B-Itch instead of Itch.

Maybe I should put into writing with somebody at Ableton explaining why I'm giving up and selling Ableton Live. I encourage everyone to do the same. Contact Ableton and let them know you're either selling/about to sell or avoiding purchasing ableton live because of lack of support and the favoring of one group of users over another.
haze324 5:02 PM - 2 February, 2012
The other thing you have to understand is that features CAN NOT come all at once. We wanted a sampler that came first, folks have wanted video that's coming next, at some point soon with Video i'm guessing there will be also be midi functions, what comes next perhaps effects, or perhaps the bridge. But if it all came at once and there was a help request submitted which one of the newest feature would start to work on?

I give very tough criticism to the Serato team for having what I think is a "make it as you go" roadmap for Itch, but realistically Bridge is not a high demand right now....and it's a novelty item, and a costly one. I doubt Ableton even cares about the tiny like market share called Itch users, we area probably the smallest fragment of there user base.
phatbob 5:15 PM - 2 February, 2012
Problem is Dave, Ableton users REALLY don't give a shit about the Bridge.

You been on the Ableton forums lately? The Bridge is not on the radar AT ALL for the vast majority of Ableton users. It might as well not exist.

Most people are not about to give up on Ableton over this, because it is a superb program, Bridge or not.

I bet if all the people who bought Ableton JUST for the Bridge & Itch gave up on it at the same time, we're looking at maybe 10 people in the WORLD.

Quote:
I doubt Ableton even cares about the tiny like market share called Itch users, we area probably the smallest fragment of there user base.
phatbob 5:17 PM - 2 February, 2012
Actually, let me revise that figure. It's clearly ridiculous.

All the people who bought Ableton Live SOLELY to use with the Bridge on Itch:

5 people.

MAX.
Dave The One 5:38 PM - 2 February, 2012
C'mon Phatbob, there's more than that. There's also a number of us who aren't going to buy Ableton Live unless there is support for the Bridge.

I say put it in writing anywhere you can; this way people looking to buy Itch hardware/software can see it and walk away if the Bridge is something that they also want.

I gave up the giant wheels of steel years ago; i'm using Dj controllers and midi hardware of all sorts now as are many other Dj's remixers etc...

I spent over 10,000 last year on gear and software and Ableton live still isn't one of them and it won't be until I see support for the Bridge.

I already hit up; facebook, twitter and ableton public relations.

I'll continue with my personal protest; I don't want to settle for less. Hell, I think i'm going to make a youtube video to bring attention to this matter and send links to numark, pioneer who are making controllers for Serato Itch that may never sell because of educated buyers doing their homework that may come across these threads and see the video and walk away or buy something else until Bridge for Serato itch is supported.
Dave The One 5:40 PM - 2 February, 2012
Thank God for Amazon.com; I'm a long time customer and they had no problem taking Ableton Live back. Great customer support!
Dave The One 5:43 PM - 2 February, 2012
Just cancelled my search for an Apc 40 too. I still have a window of opportunity to return the NS6. I'm very fond of itch but I'm already feeling like there's no room to grow.

Decisions, decisions
phatbob 5:43 PM - 2 February, 2012
How exactly are you intending to use the Bridge when it eventually appears? Just curious. As someone who doesn't currently use Ableton, what do you expect to be able to achieve with it?
Dave The One 5:57 PM - 2 February, 2012
I have used ableton for a little over a week along with the TouchAble app for my Ipad 2.

I do mashups tediously right now; cutting and pasting; in live I was using looped parts of clips to juggle certain parts of songs, with TouchAble I was able to use my Ipad as a controller to launch the clips and was just thinking about being able to utilize the bridge to be able to just launch a clip and scratch or whatever live on the spot.

I have two youtube videos where I chopped up songs using sound forge, recycle and used dr. rex and the nnxt; live makes short work of that; and the ns6 with itch and sp6 alone allow me to go places creatively while mixing live that I wasn't able to go before. Live too was promising; and after I saw this guy (ultimate respect)
Watchvimeo.com

I started salivating over serato itch and the bridge because of all the possibilities.

Jeez, did I really have to explain this? Scratching my head. It's not good enough for me to plead with Serato and Ableton or express my interest in the bridge?
Dave The One 6:12 PM - 2 February, 2012
Not trying to plug or anything otherwise i'd be attaching links to my videos etc to all my posts; but this took me forever using sound forge, recycle, reason and my mpd 32. I didn't have an NS6; so you have to understand how stoked I am about this controller and why I am looking for something like the bridge.

The pieces of this mashup are from the movie "The Warriors" 1979, Planet rock, Kraftwerk (home computer), george Kraanz (din daa daa) James Brown (give it up or turn it loose) Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, time zone (wild style) and apache by the incredible bongo band/arawak all stars youtu.be

It was a tribute to the great electro songs and breakbeats from the 70's and 80's

again this took a lot of time; you guys may have been doing this easily and for quite some time; I'm just jumping in and the bridge would be the perfect workflow for the style of mashups i'm interested in doing in a shorter amount of time and on the spot live.
phatbob 6:17 PM - 2 February, 2012
That's why I was interested Dave.

Everything you want to do is more quickly and easily achieved with a 4-channel Itch controller (which you have) and the SP6.

Unless you are actually producing live (playing keys and drums etc) then the Bridge is bascially redundant compared to 4-channel Itch.

You'd be better off spending your time pushing Serato to sort out midi mapping for the SP6.
Dave The One 6:29 PM - 2 February, 2012
Yes I see that and that's why I can make do; but having the bridge integrated would absolutely be a plus for me creatively; it's like my acid trip/mushroom for deejaying. All this stuff I used to do back then, cutting reel to reel tape, mixing on turntables, re-recording pieces to reels just to get a stutter going, then graduating to doing it digitally and now being able to do this shit spot on really gets me amped.

While we are on it; this is a mix that was done on reel to reel by the Emperor/Overlord creator of this technique Albert Cabrera (of the Latin Rascals from 1982) I re-visited this mix and chopped it up digitally; it took about 5 hours to get it just right and cutting it down from the 13 minutes I had to just short of 3 minutes of mayhem. youtu.be

I have to admit; there are timing issues doing this sort of thing live with Ableton and TouchAble (also used the mpd 32 with it) but man with the bridge utilizing sync, I might be able to pull alot of stunts off; I can do mashups and mixtapes with ease too if that Bridge comes along.
haze324 6:30 PM - 2 February, 2012
Quote:

You'd be better off spending your time pushing Serato to sort out midi mapping for the SP6.

and this is what I'm hoping comes soon....and is highly much more likely to come than the bridge. Cheaper too!
Dave The One 6:50 PM - 2 February, 2012
Good Lord, someone just got back to me regarding a used apc 40 for 200.00; How can I pass this up?

Breathe, I have to breathe!
phatbob 6:58 PM - 6 February, 2012
Sorry to break it to you, Bridge fans, but it looks like development is going to be pushed further back, according to this post from Rane's TrevorW in the Bridge section of the forum:

Quote:
Quote:

2. Will it record faders, eq, filter and hardware/software fx to mixtape .ALS from the 62 (not really working for my 68 ATM)

2. No, you cannot record to mixtape .ALS, Serato Scratch Live is no longer carrying Mixtape as a feature. It has been shelved until the usability issues and functional problems have been fixed.

serato.com
Dave The One 7:03 PM - 6 February, 2012
This is turning into one big POS. Jeez. Programs like Torq are rewire compatible, can use it along with protools. Wow; 5 more days before I can return this NS6, this is going to be a real tough decision and it's looking like it's going back; thank god I didn't throw out the box
phatbob 7:07 PM - 6 February, 2012
If you're gonna jump ship, fair enough, but at least go to Traktor.

Torq is WILDLY unpopular for a good reason. It's shit.
Dave The One 7:09 PM - 6 February, 2012
I know it's shit but they built much welcomed funtionality to it.

Where does it say that the bridge development is going to be pushed further out for itch.
I don't see it via your link; all I see the mixtape functionality disappearing
phatbob 7:14 PM - 6 February, 2012
Mixtape is 50% of the Bridge. If that needs some kind of total rewrite, that's going to impact any future developments of the Bridge.

The Bridge is NOT popular, I would bet my shoes that there is only a small team working on the Bridge for both SL and Itch.
phatbob 7:16 PM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
I know it's shit but they built much welcomed funtionality to it.

i.e: "They polished that turd nicely"
Solidsnake 8:40 PM - 6 February, 2012
The Bridge with Pro Tools 2013

You should go pick up Pro Tools.

BTW, don't go buy Pro Tools, that would be just as silly as buying Ableton 8 for the Bridge for ITCH... Harsh lesson, but don't buy products based upon speculation and possibility, buy a product that meets your needs at the time being.
phatbob 8:43 PM - 6 February, 2012
i.e: Traktor.

That's the only suggestion I'd countenance with existing releases if you want to link DJ software and a DAW.

Apart from Scratch Live, obviously.
Solidsnake 8:45 PM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
i.e: Traktor.

That's the only suggestion I'd countenance with existing releases if you want to link DJ software and a DAW.

Apart from Scratch Live, obviously.

For the price of Ableton 8 (that you returned) and an APC, you can get a Traktor S2 plus X1 or an S4 and be sitting pretty
Dave The One 1:03 AM - 7 February, 2012
The Bridge with ProTools 2013?

I have ProTools HD 10; what does that have to do with anything?

This is about The bridge already working with Live and in development for two years for itch and continuing to wait; it sucks.

There's nothing wrong with buying a product that is promised and hyped to work in conjunction with another product.

The only lesson learned here is that Serato doesn't care about a core group of customers nor do they care about finishing development of products that they promise. It's great to get press when you announce something like this; I just wish places like DJ tech tools and scratchworx would put the same amount of effort informing their readers about Serato making announcements and not going through with development.
phatbob 1:16 AM - 7 February, 2012
You're still under a misapprehension, I'm sorry.

It is not a core group of users who are interested in the Bridge.

It is a niche group at best.
DJ Urkel Dee 1:36 AM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
The Bridge with Pro Tools 2013

BTW, don't go buy Pro Tools, that would be just as silly as buying Ableton 8 for the Bridge for ITCH... Harsh lesson, but don't buy products based upon speculation and possibility, buy a product that meets your needs at the time being.

Have to agree... I'm one that made that mistake... will NEVER do that again!
Dave The One 8:38 AM - 7 February, 2012
I don't care if it's one person that's interested. If it's a niche group that's interested, that's serato's fault; there would be much more than that if they bothered to put together a decent presentation and followed through on development. What kind of bull---- is this? You're not going to work on The Bridge for itch because of a niche market at best?

Phatbob just what stance are you taking on this? Why would you accept the spoonfed bull---- and then try to feed it to everyone else?

Unbelievable.
phatbob 10:15 AM - 7 February, 2012
At the danger of going over old ground yet again...

They did follow through on the Bridge, Dave, and they released it for Scratch Live.

And hardly anyone used it.

SL users didn't use it because it involves so much prep work that you might as well just use Ableton to DJ with. It relies on planning, not spontaneity, and that is at odds with what most SL and Itch users do every night. It also involves a heavy investment for the SL user getting Ableton, and vice versa.

What some users did use, was the Mixtape feature. But that is limited, and flawed, to the point where we are now hearing about that being pulled.

Existing Ableton users don't care about the Bridge at all. It doesn't work how they want, and they generally lean towards Traktor already.

The main difference between you and I, I think, is that I've USED the Bridge.

When it went into public beta on SL I was excited about it like you. I rushed out and bought the upgrade from Live 7 to Live 8, and a shiny new APC20, raring to go.

I don't regret the Ableton upgrade, I use that almost daily anyway. But the APC? In a cupboard, gathering dust. Because unfortunately the Bridge just ISN'T that great.

Now I'm an Itch user too, and with the synced sample decks, plus 4 decks on the NS6, you've already got much more intuitive access to the USEFUL features of the Bridge.

If you really want to use Ableton alongside DJ software, as I say, Traktor is actually a far better solution at this present time.

I do understand your frustration with Serato, of course they shouldn't have announced the Bridge for Itch and then not followed through, but you (and it is JUST you and a tiny handful of others) ranting about it constantly isn't going to change their development priorities.

Video has come first, and rightfully so. There is a proven and thriving market for video DJing, whereas the Bridge has a limited audience at most. That's not speculation, that's OBVIOUS. As I've said before, just take a look at the ghost town that is the Bridge area of the forum.

As for not accepting their 'spooned bull', I'm not the guy who went out and bought loads of gear based on a product ANNOUNCEMENT. I actually waited for a beta to play with before I did.
DJ Cs 4:46 PM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
You're still under a misapprehension, I'm sorry.

It is not a core group of users who are interested in the Bridge.

It is a niche group at best.

I disagree with the "niche group" thought. The flaw is in the execution of the product, not the want or usefulness of it.

Keep in mind, most NEVER requested a "Bridge" with Ableton. This was something that was announced as a partnership/agreement between two companies and ANNOUNCED broadly to Serato users.

Most agreed it would be incredible IF implemented correctly. As you stated above, even you were excited about it and bought additional gear for it's use. YOU are part of that "NICHE" group as many of us were.

However, many of us saw early reviews of the actual implementation of the product and decided not to bite until it was corrected.

Overall, it's lack of access to ITCH users along with that stated above gave the flawed impression that it's not popular, wanted or ONLY for a small niche group.
Dave The One 5:26 PM - 7 February, 2012
DJ Cs; Thank you so much. I cringed at the presentation of the bridge on seratos website. In fact every video failed to execute; I'll leave it at that; no disrespect to anyone but there isn't one thing convincing about the bridge on any of the bridge videos.

In the short time using Live and Itch I was excited at the promised development of the bridge. With a controller like the NS6 with bridge integration one can plan and create an unbelievable set. Launching a group of sequenced clips of pieces of different a capellas and being able to gain controll of them instantly while scratching, using effects with the ns6 is one of them. Having something like this synced to Itch would be phenomenal. People that use live have to resort to other means to be able to scratch a clip. In fact the Apc 40 alone could be used without an NS6 and one can achieve what could be done with The Bridge with a bit of programming. This is why the bridge is important, it's seemless integration with itch/live didn't require having to program macros etc... it was there ready to use but unfortunately (and I didn't want to go here) the keepin real and true to my word to life turntables are the almighty dj's just wanted to wikki wikki scratch and stay in the stone ages and not being able to play simon says while scratching.

Please Serato; let us controllerists (I'll speak for myself who owned technics 1200's for 25 years and can still operate them with vinyls with my eyes closed eating a peanut butter sandwich and sipping kool-aid) save The Bridge!!!
Dave The One 5:29 PM - 7 February, 2012
Let Itch users SAVE THE BRIDGE!!!
phatbob 5:43 PM - 7 February, 2012
Can't scratch Ableton clips with the Bridge.
Dave The One 6:11 PM - 7 February, 2012
Are you sure about that? It's within the first two minutes of this video serato.com
phatbob 6:33 PM - 7 February, 2012
Ableton won't play backwards. It's a limitation of their audio engine.

Vinyl control yes, scratching no.
phatbob 6:36 PM - 7 February, 2012
I know we have different opinions on things Dave, but I HAVE used the Bridge a lot. I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to functions and features.
Dave The One 6:48 PM - 7 February, 2012
There's no doubt about that. Yes you know your stuff and you are absolutely bringing things to my attention that I'm missing. Yes; I'm the dude that puts the cart in front of the horse while on roller skates and I apologize for that.

Actually; it sounds terrible when he's scratching the clip. The video is a bit confusing, it appears to me that he's scratching the james brown clip that was launched.

Ableton won't play backwards?

I beg to differ; but i'm taking the jazzy jeff approach (as seen in the bridge video) I aint saying sh-t!

I don't think it's a limitation of Lives Audio Engine; perhaps it's a limitation of the transport control in live....

Let's just say Live is a definite purchase AND is on it's way back and I'm keeping the NS6.

Peace
Dave The One 6:50 PM - 7 February, 2012
Correction; perhaps it's a limitation of the Ableton transport control method used in the bridge in Serato Scratch Lives Transport control.
phatbob 6:57 PM - 7 February, 2012
Dude, that Jazzy Jeff video is PRE Bridge, you know that, right?

He is NOT using the Bridge in that video.

Everything you see is a combination of Ableton and SL being used by the same person in the same studio. It is not the Bridge. C'mon, you can SEE him recording those cuts into a regular audio track in Ableton, from the 57. No Mixtape involved.

And, again, you are speculating. I'm telling you, as confirmed by staff when the Bridge came out, Ableton's audio engine CANNOT play backwards. I'm not making this stuff up!
Dave The One 7:17 PM - 7 February, 2012
Bro; I was only talking about his comment; I wasn't talking about anything that he was doing; only his comment (nothing else)

Perhaps you misinterpreted what I said about Abletons audio engine playing backwards; I wasn't talking about The Bridge specifically.

And again; I beg to differ....I'll leave it at that. No speculation; FACT
phatbob 7:24 PM - 7 February, 2012
Dave The One 7:29 PM - 7 February, 2012
LOL; your misinformed and once again you are talking from Serato's standpoint.

Once again; I beg to differ.....

Peace
phatbob 7:47 PM - 7 February, 2012
I've linked to places where the people who actually know, Serato programmers, have confirmed what I have said. I've backed up my position pretty solidly, I'd say.

I've got more though. From the Bridge FAQ:

"Due to the functionality of the Ableton audio engine, Ableton Live will not output audio while its transport is moving backwards. This means that backscratching or rewinding in Serato Scratch Live will discontinue Ableton Live's playback."

Keep in mind that the Bridge is a joint venture between Ableton and Serato, hardly think Ableton would allow Serato to post incorrect info in the FAQs.

If you can't offer any kind of evidence to suggest otherwise, then you are ABSOLUTELY speculating.

Ableton's audio engine does not play backwards.

Please point me to anything, anywhere, which disproves that.

In fact, open up Ableton (the demo if you've sent it back) and make it play backwards. Make it scrub back and forth. You absolutely cannot do it.

Beg to differ all you like. You'll still be wrong.
phatbob 7:50 PM - 7 February, 2012
Ableton's own FAQs, too if you like:

"Best Practices for Ableton Transport Control

Certain aspects of Ableton Live's functionality are limited when using Ableton Transport Control, and may behave in unexpected ways. In particular, Live will not output audio while its transport is moving backwards. This means that backscratching in Serato Scratch Live will discontinue Ableton Live's playback. If you are recording in Ableton Live while backscratching, recording will also be stopped.

Relatedly, any devices in your Ableton Live Set that require a constant stream of incoming audio (such as Looper and certain Max for Live and third-party plug-ins) will work incorrectly if Live's transport plays backwards."

www.ableton.com

Can't wait to see your links and be proved wrong!
Dave The One 8:07 PM - 7 February, 2012
LOL; no links kid; but you're wrong. You can try to keep up with your pissing contest with links and great knowledge but i've already found what I needed; you didn't. But keep up the good work.

LOL
phatbob 8:19 PM - 7 February, 2012
Congratulations on the most feeble debate exit I've ever seen!

"I know I'm right but I won't tell you why, or offer any evidence to support my case".

Now THAT is funny. LOL indeed.
Dave The One 8:22 PM - 7 February, 2012
yawn
phatbob 8:56 PM - 7 February, 2012
See, I'm all up for a vigirous, even heated debate, but now you're just being rude.

A few short hours ago you actually believed that Ableton clips could be scratched with the Bridge.

You said I was wrong. And linked to a demo video which you had misunderstood.

I explained to you why your assertion was incorrect, from my experience using the Bridge.

I then went out of my way to explain to you the reasons why it was not possible, using links from trusted sources as evidence for my hypothesis.

You said I was wrong.

If you believe that I am talking sh*t about all this, please demonstrate why you believe that to be the case. Because otherwise you're telling this public forum that I'm talking sh*t, with nothing to back it up, and I take that as a personal insult.

As I say. Rude.
haze324 9:12 PM - 7 February, 2012
You can't scratch Abelton clips in the bridge. That is well known. Thats why in the recent traktor video showing the high lights of the new sampler and F2 the guy uses turn tables and does a back spin to show you can play clips backwards. There was discussion about this on the main DJ page.

If I wanted the bridge so badly I would go about it much differently or I'd look onto traktor.
haze324 9:13 PM - 7 February, 2012
Meant Kontrol F1.
Deckgeneral 8:49 PM - 19 February, 2012
Dave why would you wanna be like the latin Rascals anyway? theyre so 80's lol

Next you will be telling us you wanna be like Mantronix... ha ha

Just buy Twitch and use "loop roll" mate end of story... ableton will not make you into the late"Chep Nunez" anytime soon, he was one of a kind.

If you are using ableton there are a couple of VST's that can get you that latin rascal machine gun edit sound without any hard graft by the way!!! google will help you out, I used them all the time for an electro funk radio show i used to present a few years ago.
Deckgeneral 8:51 PM - 19 February, 2012
plus the fact Bob was only stating facts and trying to help :) Rant Over, but please be courteous. Thanks Dave....
Deckgeneral 8:53 PM - 19 February, 2012
One point Bob though, I was a Beta Tester for Ableton for years and Years, until i got bored, it does play clips backwards, you just have to know where to look
Dave The One 9:38 PM - 19 February, 2012
Who said I wanted to sound like the Latin rascals? Been there done that; worked with one of them already.

I'm already knee deep in Ableton Live, enjoying it; enjoying my NS6 and Itch :)
Apc 40 just arrived; I'm a happy man.
DJ-spINFINITE 9:09 AM - 8 May, 2012
well now that video has taken its toll, hows about some FOCUS on the BRIDGE FOR ITCH... yes there are some difficulties exacting a smooth DEV of the bridge, but this is why we would like the guys at serato to spend some time with it, don't completely forget about it... IF ANYTHING US AS THE USERS OF SERATO PRODUCTS ARE HELPING YOU OUT BY ADDRESSING SOME OF THE POSSIBLE ISSUES PRESENT. so whats the big idea? -deckgeneral claims that he was a beta tester and that you can indeed play clips backwards SO CLEARLY ABLETON HAS LESS TO WORRY ABOUT... but why is that even an issue, im sure theres a workaround somewhere to be found by the dev team... obviously serato is more concerned about profits with guys like bob and cerla claiming that they were more focused on the video aspect of things and theres nothing wrong with that because that is in high demand and its obvious with all the buzz of video mixing but pay attention to something that could potentially be groundbreaking as far as workflow and functionality goes, and don't just throw us itch users under the bus because there is only a "niche group" of possible users SERATO SHOULD BE GOING FOR THE INNOVATIVE APPROACH AND AT LEAST BE ABLE TO MIRROR WHATS GOING ON IN SSL I mean it gets some extra functionality why is it that itch is left in the dust? shouldn't they mirror eachother? -if you ask me, [and the following is solely my opinion] I WOULD IMAGINE THAT ITCH INTEGRATION MIGHT EVEN PROVE A LITTLE EASIER TO DEVELOP THAN SSL BECAUSE ITS ALL RELAYED THROUGH MIDI ANYWAY SO WHATS THE BIG PROBLEM?
DJ-spINFINITE 9:21 AM - 8 May, 2012
Also I think that ITCH users deserve it maybe even more than SSLr's because ITCH's functionality with controllers such as the Ns7 would be prime reason of why it should be integrated... I mean one of the main reasons I think its a good idea would be native platter support, and nobody has got the vinyl feel down like serato does... ive tried virtual dj, ive tried torq, ive tried traktor and nothing comes close so how can they not allocate some resources to such a wonderful mix of controllers on the itch platform... IM SURE ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME but i can't stress it enough! I would love to see a beta or something of the like in the near future, please don't leave itch users hanging in the dust...

AND MIDI MAP FOR THE SP6 WOULD BE GRANDDDD!!!!!
Dave The One 10:31 AM - 8 May, 2012
Right now Itch can't play clips backwards, you can only do so by using a plugin like Ms Pinky.

If you want midi mapping for the sp6 do a search for this workaround if you have a Mac:
Mitch (Midi for Itch)

Lastly IMO, I think Itch already has similar ableton live functionality due to the sp6 sample player
features (can play entire songs, parts of songs and loops/samples.

The mixtape feature is the real real gem in the Bridge.

Secondly, Ableton could really just add support for full dj controller midi mapping
and add jog wheel operation for full control over your clips once they overhaul lives audio engine
for playing backwards.

Serato can give us full midi mapping, beat synced fx and slice features and we really wouldn't need ableton live aside from having the mix tape feature which I really would love.

It's really interesting to see how this unfolds.
If Serato keeps Itch uses chained to specific software features for their controllers and ableton live
gets turntable/jog wheel functionality for controlling clips I think there would be a mass exodus.
It has already happened with Traktor on my end; I'm using it more than itch, the, nuff mapping, sample decks, soon to be remix decks and the snap to grid/quantize functions are Rock solid; it's quite an addictive experience once you begin to realize the limitless potential of Traktor.

My best guess for midi mapping, slice features and the bridge is never; or August for the Bridge for Itch. Ableton 9 is going to be huge.

PS; there's a max for live plugin that goes beyond what the slice feature can do realtime. With that and the ms pinky scratch plugin; one doesn't really need itch.....
Dave The One 10:31 AM - 8 May, 2012
woops I meant ableton live in the first sentence (not itch)
Dave The One 2:21 PM - 8 May, 2012
Corrections on above posts:

Right now Ableton Live can't play clips backwards, you can only do so by using a plugin like Ms Pinky.

If you want midi mapping for the sp6 do a search for this workaround if you have a Mac:
Mitch (Midi for Itch)

Lastly IMO, I think Itch already has similar ableton live functionality due to the sp6 sample player
features (can play entire songs, parts of songs and loops/samples in perfect sync)

The mixtape feature is the real real gem in the Bridge.

Secondly, Ableton could really just add support for full dj controller midi mapping
and add jog wheel operation for full control over your clips once they overhaul lives audio engine
for playing backwards.

Serato can give us full midi mapping, beat synced fx and slice features and we really wouldn't need ableton live aside from having the mix tape feature which I really would love.

It's really interesting to see how this unfolds.
If Serato keeps Itch users chained to specific software features for their hardware controllers and ableton live gets turntable/jog wheel functionality for full DJ style control over clips I think there would be a mass exodus.
It has already happened with Traktor on my end; I'm using it more than itch, the full midi mapping features, sample decks soon to be remix decks and the snap to grid/quantize functions are rock solid; it's quite an addictive experience once you begin to realize the limitless potential of Traktor.

My best guess for midi mapping, slice features and the bridge is never; or August for the Bridge for Itch if it does continue; Ableton 9 is going to be huge.

PS; there's a max for live plugin that goes beyond what the slice feature can do realtime. With that and the ms pinky scratch plugin; one doesn't really need itch.....
Stylus Manley 9:57 AM - 15 June, 2012
I'm giving up on ITCH after 2 years of solid use, and here's why.

Personally, I got into ITCH in 2010 (I think the World Cup was on) when I was a vinyl DJ + Ableton Producer. I got ITCH over Traktor because of the promise of the Bridge. I was trying to find a way to remix live by mashing clips of MP3s with my own homemade breaks, loops and tunes. This has never happened because Serato made the innocent but (IMHO) seismic mistake of announcing that the Bridge was on it's way when they had no intention of releasing it (we're 2 years down the line since I paid my hard-earned for a shiny new VCI300.)

But the Bridge (of sorts) is already achievable. With Traktor. Because Traktor HAS a midi-out, you can sync Ableton with the clock and go fro there. I've seen tutorials on how to achieve this on 1 Macbook as well. Sadly though, I'm a PC user so I don't know how to do it with Windows. But you Mac users should know that it is definitely achievable. It might even be achievable with Windows but I never looked into it.

I'm not using the SP6 at all because there's not even a controller for it. You need a rotary pot for each volume control before I'll even touch the thing. The keyboard is meant for typing, not for controlling sample decks.

As it is, I see that the VCI400 is an affordable £600, and I'm thinking 'damn, that's the same price I paid for my VCI300'. TP2 with a good controller and a DJ Techtools Midi Fighter mapped to the FX and sample decks is a wonderful, wonderful thing. Try it if you haven't already, or at least look it up on the Techtools website.

Serato, I gave you the benefit of the doubt and a whole 2 years of my DJing career to deliver on your ideas. I didn't get mad when ITCH 1.7 couldn't sync for toffee and I waited patiently. ITCH 2.0 has great syncing but isn't doing anything other programmes can't. I didn't even mind to begin with when there wasn't a universal approach to FX. Native Instruments FX are gorgeous and I admit I got jealous, but I still kept the faith and stayed with ITCH. And I've not spoken out about the Bridge in all this time because you released it for SSL like you said you would and said that the ITCH version was on the way. But now you won't even discuss it.

You have literally delayed my switch to Traktor by a year with empty promises and that makes me feel conned. And, as I hope I've established, I'm not a hater. I'm a big fan who's been left in the queue only to discover there's nothing at the end of it.

I actually have a lump in my throat typing this when I say that I can no longer think of a good reason to use ITCH, because everything I've been waiting for is a pipe dream. A pipe dream that, for Traktor users, has been a reality for months. The Bridge exists, but not on ITCH. Sample decks you can actually use exist, but on ITCH. FX-for-everyone exists, but not on ITCH. 4 decks-for-everyone exists, but not on ITCH.

I'm getting a VCI400. That's all there is to it.
Nephew#1 3:09 PM - 15 June, 2012
And i don't know why Serato is not giving any information.Why they aren't give us the answer on our questions.Serato is looks like a political organisation.
Solidsnake 2:51 PM - 16 June, 2012
I'm confused if you were an ableton producer/vinyl Dj why would you not get Scratch Live when it clearly already had what you wanted? I've never understood that, as a consumer and after research on products, I make a purchase based on what can fulfill my needs. For the price of the VCI-300 when you bought it, you could have picked up an SL3 box no problem and had some cash left over. It's the same thing as buying Traktor and complaining about lack of video support... Guess what
VDJ and Scratch Live have video and now ITCH does to, even though Traktor said video is something they would like to see added in the future, just like the bridge for itch was something of the "future", you go out and purchase what can fulfill your needs at the time of purchase....
dj lashes 5:07 PM - 16 June, 2012
serato dropped the ball.. when got my vci300 it was part to the fact that there was a few now misleading advert looking and sounding like the bridge would be working with itch end of story. so pls stop try to defend serato for F-ing up
Solidsnake 9:43 PM - 16 June, 2012
Bottom line if you actually needed the bridge you would have bought the product with the bridge, obviously it wasn't a need it was something "oh hey I might use this if it comes in the future." plus you all are quick to blame Serato when it is actually 2 separate companies that are doing the bridge together, ever thought it may be on ableton's end with live 9 surely in production?
dj lashes 3:53 PM - 18 June, 2012
Quote:
Bottom line

bottom line is there was a clear a day advert showing "VCI300 with SERATO ITCH" and in the video it showed off the bridge why would the bridge be in the advert if it not coming to itch....and you, serato or anyone else knows that the plan was to have the bridge working with itch for what ever reasons it never happen. I for 1 was happy to pay my money after being lead on to think that the bridge would be working with itch some in the near.. but not 3 years+ later and still no joy.

BOTTOM LINE ..... SERATO F*@kEd UPPPPPPP
DJ Cs 4:14 PM - 18 June, 2012
It is unfortunate that Serato would let a video be released inferring that a feature would be coming as it plainly did. This leads to confusion and anger within the community that wasn't rumor but an actual "Leaked/advertised" feature.

A simple statement from Serato would probably alleviate many of the concerns as to short term plans on Bridge implementation.

Regardless of partners backing out, licensing deals falling through or any other internal issues preventing the release of Bridge for Itch, communication goes a long way towards understanding for the customer.
dj lashes 4:40 PM - 18 June, 2012
Quote:
It is unfortunate that Serato would let a video be released inferring that a feature would be coming as it plainly did. This leads to confusion and anger within the community that wasn't rumor but an actual "Leaked/advertised" feature.

A simple statement from Serato would probably alleviate many of the concerns as to short term plans on Bridge implementation.

Regardless of partners backing out, licensing deals falling through or any other internal issues preventing the release of Bridge for Itch, communication goes a long way towards understanding for the customer.

+1
djallstyle 7:46 PM - 18 June, 2012
I agree 100%
If Itch simply had a vst/ plug in option, that could really help with a lot of things. There used to be one for the Pro Tools app. some years back. I would love to be able to record into editing apps like Ableton, Logic etc. Just that alone could help me a lot!!
Dave The One 10:34 PM - 18 June, 2012
Smoke and mirrors from both Serato and Ableton with the bridge. Traktor baby; remix decks; awesome! Serato Itch and the phantom bridge have become a joke compared to what one can accomplish with Traktor 2.5
DJ Cs 1:56 AM - 19 June, 2012
If Traktor had motorized platter controllers like the NS7 or V7's then that would be an option.
pdidy 4:46 AM - 19 June, 2012
Quote:
Traktor baby; remix decks; awesome! Serato Itch and the phantom bridge have become a joke compared to what one can accomplish with Traktor 2.5

I agree but this brings up the question of why are you still here ? Im not trying to be a smart ass, its a serious question.
Ransom 4:41 AM - 20 June, 2012
If "The Bridge" isn't coming anytime soon, I wish there could be a way to send and sync the midi clock to Ableton Live via Itch... heck I'd almost prefer to use it that way anyway... it would allow you to use Ableton Live the way you want. I've used Ableton synched with Traktor... but I prefer the functions that Itch has to use with the Twitch.

I have a couple of Launchpads I'd really like to use with my Twitch/Itch along with Ableton Live for live perfomances.
Solidsnake 3:12 AM - 21 June, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Traktor baby; remix decks; awesome! Serato Itch and the phantom bridge have become a joke compared to what one can accomplish with Traktor 2.5

I agree but this brings up the question of why are you still here ? Im not trying to be a smart ass, its a serious question.

I agree with you, would I like to see The Bridge with ITCH? Certainly, but all of the constant complaining is just tiresome, get what's best for you and what you need to perform from the start and then it would never be an issue!
Dave The One 11:10 PM - 23 June, 2012
Yawn! I'm simply here because I can. Nothing anyone can do about it :)

Besides; I can rock itch and the sample decks just fine.

Lastly, I don't hesitate to put anyone on blast, so if it annoys anyone or begs anyone to question; why sweat when I post?
Dave The One 11:17 PM - 23 June, 2012
PS

Live isn't all that; even with the Ms.Pinky VST.

Itch's sample decks need some tweaks and i'm good; the twitch slice feature needs to be opened up. Loop juggling on the ns6 though gets me close.

So all in all; no need for the bridge. Just some tweaks and borrowing from traktor (the on beat needle drops are dope, the quantize function is nice, and me likes the twitch slice feature but don't want to use twitch to get it)
phatbob 11:33 PM - 23 June, 2012
Quote:
Live isn't all that

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dave The One 11:44 PM - 23 June, 2012
That was kewl; i've seen some great routines with live, this one being my favorite

Watchvimeo.com

I like particular video because of the integration of scratching with the button pressing.

This is why at the current moment I'm liking Traktor; one program, midi integration; waiting for them to open up the commands for the F1.

The sample decks are awesome in itch; I just want some slicing and stuttering too. It's all good, live just isn't my cup of tea; I have the apc 40 and novation launchpad as well as the lpd 8. live isn't spot on quick enough for me; it's kinda sloppy for the spontaneous things that I like to do; Mike hoska and the video from phatbob do inspire but for me it isn't spot on enough like Traktor and itch with an ns6 or respective controller for either software.
phatbob 12:05 AM - 24 June, 2012
Which is why you and I had a major argument a while back Dave, when I was trying to explain to you why Ableton isn't great for on-the-fly work... Glad you've seen the light at last! ;-)

We can both agree that a more powerful SP6 (and the ability to control it) is sorely needed in Itch.
Dave The One 12:37 AM - 24 June, 2012
It's all good phatbob; it was a fantastic experi ence, learning live and then max for live and all the little crazy shit that you can do; I think live is great for creating music; i've heard some great dj sets on it too but I had that we are the robots feeling after a while (kraftwerk) youtu.be where everything sounded too robotic as I was deejaying and then I realized how very good serato itch is and traktor too.
phatbob 12:48 AM - 24 June, 2012
All true dude. Ableton is the best tool for 'live performance' out there. But for off-the-cuff DJing, a little more flexibility is what is needed.

Will have to watch that video when I get home. I'm spinning Louie's 'Diamond Life' tune in the bar as I write this... ;-)
Dave The One 1:59 AM - 24 June, 2012
Nice; good luck on ur gig!
Nice; good luck on ur gig!
don't know what happened with the quadruple posting.....
Big Pops 12:00 AM - 25 June, 2012
I agree with you DJ Cs a simple statement from Serato would be nice. I also bought the NS7FX 2 years ago with the belief that the Bridge would soon follow. But that was a sure myth, it's 2 years later and no Bridge for Itch.
Dave The One 12:31 AM - 1 August, 2012
NS6 sold; Ableton Live 8 sold/transferred....

Peace guys, hope the bridge and itch come to fruition.....
dj lashes 1:31 AM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
NS6 sold; Ableton Live 8 sold/transferred....

Peace guys, hope the bridge and itch come to fruition.....

what u using now?
Dave The One 1:59 AM - 1 August, 2012
Nothing just yet; enjoying the day job that I never quit and stackin that paper; Serato Numark and Ableton can keep doing nothing about what customers are asking and losing money from those that have bank.
Dj Ace 3:14 AM - 1 August, 2012
To be sold it was already "bought"...just saying
Markabre 9:53 AM - 1 August, 2012
It's the lack of clear communication with the community, more than the increasingly outdated software that I find particularly disgusting. It's no way to run a business, particularly when you're curating a platform/ecosystem of apparently professional mission critical products. People need to make a living with these products and our reputations ride on them.

$30 video games and $10 Djay software get better communication and better support. Even iOS "toys" do.

I'm going to start experimenting with my vci-380 and traktor. I may soon wish I bought a vci-400

I'm not saying this like a childish customer blindly threatening to buy a Dell because Apple won't fix their computer for free or something. Serato has remained quiet or evasive for so long that I can't imagine the community - their customers, are much of a priority. Which to me feels very wrong.

Do these guys even have PR staff?
phatbob 10:04 AM - 1 August, 2012
Ok, get Traktor and go hang in the Native Instruments forum for a while. See how communicative and in-touch with their community that company is.

We'll see you back here shortly.
Markabre 10:35 AM - 1 August, 2012
I tend to scope out all the available options before spending over $1000. I'm aware of traktor's approach and there were a number of reasons why I gravitated towards itch.

It just appears I have an unfortunate choice between:

Serato: Simple, intuitive but increasingly outdated and poorly supported. Appears that it has been artificially crippled in order not to step on SSL's territory or perhaps Rane's toes. SSL is not an option for me.

Traktor: Advanced with great fx and huge feature set but potentially fiddlly and finicky. Increased freedom to experiment with custom gear. Poor support for community.

Serato have less of an excuse for poor support. It's the one thing they should be knocking out of the park and using as a USP. By imposing a limit on the hardware you can use to just a handful of controllers instead of every third party under the sun, not only could they curate a great customer experience but also build much tighter and faster support.

Kinda why many people, including myself, prefer Mac over Windows or iOS over Android.

You put up with the limitations of a "walled garden" ecosystem for its benefits. If there are little to no benefits there is little point in tolerating those limitations.
Dave The One 12:40 PM - 1 August, 2012
Actually Traktor is great software, this new update with the remix decks was really nice. However I was really irked about some mappings disappearing and the remix decks mapping under guard because they want to sell f1's.

All this handcuffing just made me say F--k you to both.

I really wanted the bridge and itch especially for the mix tape feature. Having itch integrated with live encourages experimentation and handshaking between the producer and dj.

I am a customer that doesn't rely on getting paid for live play; I'm a producer, remixer, mix tape, mashup dj and the bridge and itch would have suited me perfectly. I may have even hung on if serato opened up the mapping for the sp6 sample player (no workaround needed)

So, what now? Not sure, scratching my head. Maybe an open letter to algoridim to add sample decks and to apple or propeljergeads for a mix tape type feature standard for any dj software (for those willing to cooperate) its better than waiting fir a broken promise.......
Markabre 12:58 PM - 1 August, 2012
I get the feeling that if Algoriddim turned their attention to taking itch's piece of the pie (at least on macs) they could do so pretty swiftly. They are already involved with companies like Pioneer, Vestax and Numark. Recently they've developed projects pretty quickly.

The base is already there, if all they do is add 1:1 controller integration, waveforms and a new sync engine they could be on to something.

Meanwhile Serato is sitting still and doesn't even seem to be interested in maintaining what it already has.

They created a barebones product that was a great foundation but if they won't build upon it and nurture the platform then their market won't be that hard to take from them if someone new comes along.
Dave The One 1:07 PM - 1 August, 2012
I'm actually quite surprised at how good algoridims dj is and how each version matures. This is by no means saying that it's better than itch or anything else out there but the foundation is solid and they seem to be adding features that customers ask for. I thought that Itch was the product of seratos turtablists turned controllerists. It looked like it was serious about it's customers with the announcement of the bridge for itch......We were wrong
Dave The One 1:10 PM - 1 August, 2012
PS; the person that I sold the ns6 to yesterday has already emailed me asking me for my Traktor map. Wow! Not even a day with itch and already asking for Traktor maps.
Big Pops 6:24 PM - 2 August, 2012
I am a Itch user since it came out, I used Scratch Live before that. I went to Itch because of the port ability. I also use algoriddims both on my Mac and iPad, I am quite happy and surprise with every new release how they get it right and how the software seems to work right with mac.
They even have full support for Mountain Lion.
Dave The One 6:29 PM - 2 August, 2012
Djay is on fire right now; 9.99 for the Mac version
Support for many controllers. If they open up midi mapping
it's a wrap!
Markabre 10:37 AM - 3 August, 2012
www.algoriddim.com

"And of course you can easily edit the mapping yourself and customize the controller for your demands."

Use any MIDI Controller with MIDI Learn
If you have a MIDI controller that is currently not natively supported by djay, you can still use it with djay’s easy-to-use MIDI Learn feature.

Simply connect the MIDI controller to your Mac, and follow the on-screen instructions to map the hardware controls to functions in djay.
Dave The One 12:07 PM - 3 August, 2012
Good lord I had no idea! Time to launch Djay and put it through the paces....