Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Itch vs Intro...

Free Man 4:31 PM - 17 November, 2011
What is the diff? looks like some controlers work with both... From the screen shots I see, they look very similar. So what is the diff between the two programs? And what are pros vs cons for both?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 9:47 PM - 17 November, 2011
Hi Free Man,

I'll copy and paste what I said in the other thread.

There are good info articles under 'Products' on our website main page if you want extra info, but generally DJ Intro provides a less confusing outlook on features and is good for anyone that has wanted to give dj'ing a go but has been put off by the cost and over technicality, and prefers to simply mix from track to track with basic effects and loop function (depending on the controller). ITCH's controllers are a bit of a step up, providing a few more features, specifically to do with effects/samples/4-channel options/recording a mix, and there are more and further detailed hardware options. All hardware across both ITCH and DJ Intro is provided by experienced and name brand providers.

Mathew
TristanW 12:20 PM - 22 November, 2011
How come the best controllers ie denon 3000 and the vci400 are supported by intro and not itch. There is currently nothing similar in the itch line up, is this going to change?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:30 PM - 22 November, 2011
Itch is only used with hardware that was designed and made for itch with itch mapping and functions printed onto the hardware along with the itch and serato logo. So any other controller will never work with itch. Unless the hardware company make an itch only version Ie. The Vestax VCI-400-ITCH and then they would have to print and make all the controllls nativ to itch. But again i cant see that happening. So this is why DJ Intro is used.
TristanW 1:04 PM - 22 November, 2011
Well I really hope something is in the pipeline as serato's 'professional' software is lacking professional controllers. Currently the only one really is the xone dx, which now doesn't even fully reflect the updated (itch 2) softwares features.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:49 PM - 29 November, 2011
Quote:
Well I really hope something is in the pipeline as serato's 'professional' software is lacking professional controllers.

Amen. It's beyond frustrating. Someone please tell me there is a VCI-400 or VCI-400esque controller coming that will work with Itch and take full advantage of the four channels/decks. Why on earth Vestax and/or Serato decided to have a high end, $1K, 4-channel controller be only compatible with entry level/2-channel Serato Intro software is beyond me.
SiRocket 9:39 PM - 29 November, 2011
my thoughts are... intro pro will be on its way soon enough... serato and vestax have a good relation and wouldn't let the 400 slip through something where its "more" professional users didn't have a feature packed dvs option...
[O/][iii][O/] 11:00 PM - 29 November, 2011
Isn't "Intro Pro" an oxymoron? lol
[O/][iii][O/] 11:01 PM - 29 November, 2011
Also, just an FYI SiRocket, neither Into or Itch are a DVS.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:03 PM - 29 November, 2011
DVS = Digital Vinyl System. Intro and Itch unfortunately do not have the option to work with timecode.
SiRocket 9:59 AM - 30 November, 2011
think about it... regardless of what the name of it will be.... there will be a pro version of intro that will have more features, do you think they will let kick ass controllers like the vci 400 be limited to no loop rolls and other loop and feature limits? They aren't going to open up scratchlive to controllers as its part of rane too..... I don't think my projection is that far off.
TristanW 12:11 PM - 30 November, 2011
Itch is serato's pro software, well it's meant to be and intro is the stripped back version
[O/][iii][O/] 2:18 PM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
Itch is serato's pro software, well it's meant to be and intro is the stripped back version

Exactly... well... supposedly, until this VCI-400 debacle threw a big wrench in what was thought to be clear lines defining which system is meant for which types of users.

Quote:
They aren't going to open up scratchlive to controllers as its part of rane too.

If Rane would wake up and make a controller for SL... :dream n' drool:
SiRocket 6:55 PM - 30 November, 2011
lets see how much longer itch is around come summertime 2012..... it only makes sense.
gcastro723 8:42 PM - 30 November, 2011
In the end, I think Serato will bump up the controllers above the $700 to Itch (with some exceptions) and keep Intro for anyone that spent $300 and below on a controller.
SiRocket 9:34 AM - 1 December, 2011
vci400????
[O/][iii][O/] 2:17 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
In the end, I think Serato will bump up the controllers above the $700 to Itch (with some exceptions) and keep Intro for anyone that spent $300 and below on a controller.

VCI400 = $1K USD (Intro compatible only, no Itch support) :-/
gcastro723 7:21 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
VCI400 = $1K USD (Intro compatible only, no Itch support) :-/

Yes i realize that. I'm sorry I worded it wrong.I meant to say that it would be nice if Serato bumped up the controllers above the $700 to Itch (with some exceptions) and kept Intro for anyone that spent $300 and below on a controller.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:29 PM - 1 December, 2011
Hmmm.....what about the Mixdeck? It can more then handle its own or is that one of the exceptions, lol!
SiRocket 7:31 PM - 1 December, 2011
as stated, Vestax and Serato have a quality relation Stokyo included, i can guarantee that they won't leave the vci 400 with an intro (basic) software version... and since it isn't itch branded... what is left as an option?.. we will wait for namm for the official announcement i guess.....
gcastro723 7:49 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Hmmm.....what about the Mixdeck? It can more then handle its own or is that one of the exceptions, lol!

lol dude the Mixdeck was the 700 price point I based it on. Idk how much you paid for yours i paid 700.

Plus thats my argument. I love the mixdeck, and I like DJ Intro, but its not cuttin it. Meanwhile, we have the VCI-300 on Itch. I'm on VDJ pro until I see improvments to the mixdeck mapping, at least I have it customized to my liking on that...
gcastro723 7:50 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
as stated, Vestax and Serato have a quality relation Stokyo included, i can guarantee that they won't leave the vci 400 with an intro (basic) software version... and since it isn't itch branded... what is left as an option?.. we will wait for namm for the official announcement i guess.....

when is the next NAMM?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:52 PM - 1 December, 2011
Next month.
gcastro723 7:54 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Next month.

Oh. So yeah, I think the MIXDECK/MIXDECK QUAD should be Itch compatible.

I'm waiting to get my hands on that baby...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:08 PM - 1 December, 2011
Not with Itch though cause they don't do video. Natively support the Mixdeck Quad with SSL that way you can throw down videos ;-)
[O/][iii][O/] 9:10 PM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Not with Itch though cause they don't do video. Natively support the Mixdeck Quad with SSL that way you can throw down videos ;-)

Video is a waste of time anyways.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:26 PM - 1 December, 2011
Lol! Ok.
gcastro723 11:52 PM - 1 December, 2011
I wouldnt say that, It depends on what you spin. Personally I find VJs interesting and admire what they do. Its not easy controlling audio and video at the same time. Kudos to VJs out there.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:14 AM - 2 December, 2011
^^^ Relax, it's just a joke between SoundInsurgent and me. Reference: serato.com
gcastro723 12:20 AM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
^^^ Relax, it's just a joke between SoundInsurgent and me. Reference: serato.com

i saw that earlier, had me rolling at work.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:48 AM - 2 December, 2011
Lol!!
Dj Eurico Lisboa 6:37 AM - 6 December, 2011
Pioneer DDJ ERGO V is a good and very complete controller .Why not ITCH?
SiRocket 9:20 AM - 6 December, 2011
@eurico... see my post above. I think we will be seeing a "pro" paid version/option for controllers from serato.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:39 AM - 6 December, 2011
^^You really think so?? Lol! I'm not gonna hold my breath on that...........
gcastro723 6:08 PM - 6 December, 2011
ERGO is a stripped down version of the DDJ-S1, it would make no sense to out out another controller with basic functionality to Itch. Serato made the right call with the ERGO...
gcastro723 6:08 PM - 6 December, 2011
*put out, sorry.
Dj Eurico Lisboa 6:13 PM - 6 December, 2011
DDJ-S1 is a incomplete controller...I love the response of pioneer about the sample player...(use your laptop keyboard).lol.
gcastro723 6:26 PM - 6 December, 2011
lol that solves problems doesn't it?

wait, so the ERGO has a sampler trigger on it too?
[O/][iii][O/] 6:29 PM - 6 December, 2011
I'm thoroughly convinced all these controllers are designed by people who have never once actually been in a DJ booth, much less DJd themselves... or even bothered to consult with those who do DJ either as a living are are heavily experienced.
Dj Eurico Lisboa 6:30 PM - 6 December, 2011
Ergo has everything...I'm playing with traktor pro 2 and it makes all the functions.
pdidy 6:55 PM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:
@eurico... see my post above. I think we will be seeing a "pro" paid version/option for controllers from serato.

ethio-winnipeg.tripod.com
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:10 PM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:
I'm thoroughly convinced all these controllers are designed by people who have never once actually been in a DJ booth, much less DJd themselves... or even bothered to consult with those who do DJ either as a living are are heavily experienced.

I fully back this statement 100%!! But Serato isn't out of the woods either........I won't even with Intro. SSL and VSL have a lot to be desired. Compared to other programs.........its time to catch up Serato. I'm hoping for MAJOR move at NAMM next month, if none come well I'm out.......not that I really matter, lmao!!
gcastro723 7:53 PM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:

i'm pretty sure you're right on the money with that statement.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:04 PM - 6 December, 2011
It's painfully obvious. :facepalm:
djsmuve415 2:16 AM - 7 December, 2011
Quote:

yeah add me to the group! been sayin' this for a minute now... shit - explain to me why on almost all the controllers I've looked at (except the NS6) both expensive & cheap, do none of them have a separate BOOTH output & control??? Unreal!
and yes - Serato isn't off the hook either,,,, yes Intro is supposed to be bare bones beginner software - but if u want beginners to have a fighting chance to learn how to beat match by using the pitch sliders and NOT relying on a sync button - then why on earth would u not set the default range to +6/-6% & not +8/-8% - which gives u more tighter control??? ur right - somebody didn't consult a DJ who knows a thing or two before releasing this stuff.. SMH
SiRocket 10:29 PM - 7 December, 2011
rumors are one thing.... its another thing when you have seen the real deal.
pdidy 11:21 PM - 7 December, 2011
Quote:
rumors are one thing.... its another thing when you have seen the real deal.

Oh you have proof, why didnt you say so. Please enlighten us.
TristanW 2:26 PM - 10 December, 2011
@djsmuve turntables are 8%, more logical imo
djsmuve415 6:14 PM - 10 December, 2011
Quote:
@djsmuve turntables are 8%, more logical imo

please enlighten me on that conclusion, because I've mixed in SSL internally a small handful of times myself - & I can tell u there's a BIG difference between +6 & +8 as far as tightness of being able to ride or control beat matching of a mix. same with VDJ & Itch.
TristanW 12:35 AM - 11 December, 2011
Obviously it gives you a little more control but dj'ing internally isn't ideal. The 8% pitch is reflective of turntables and it has been plenty accurate enough for over the last 20 years not too mention ssl/dvs. 8% for begginers and pros is fine.
djsmuve415 1:46 AM - 11 December, 2011
Quote:
The 8% pitch is reflective of turntables and it has been plenty accurate enough for over the last 20 years not too mention ssl/dvs. 8% for begginers and pros is fine.

That's not correct - must turntables (& all the ones I've played on in clubs, even now) are +6.
I pitch ride on 99% of my mixes - and have almost my entire career. I'm considered by many of established peers to be one of the cleanest DJ's around... I'm very keen on telling the slightest jumpiness in pitch control within softwares - & Intro on +8 is not good. if +8 is so sufficient - why does Itch go down to +6 itself??? thats my 2 cents, & I'm stickin with it.
BadBoyChubs 3:58 AM - 11 December, 2011
dont forfet u can speed up a turntable if u want too
phatbob 4:20 AM - 11 December, 2011
Pitch RANGE is entirely irrelevant.

Pitch RESOLUTION is what matters.

+\-6% or 8% is a pointless figure without the resolution attached to it.
djsmuve415 7:11 PM - 11 December, 2011
Quote:

This is true...
[O/][iii][O/] 3:29 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:

That's not correct - must turntables (& all the ones I've played on in clubs, even now) are +6.

Huh? Have you never played on Technics? (the most popular turntable in the world for well over 30+ years) Every model from MK2 to MK5 is +/- 8% (with M5G having a range doubler for +/-16%).
[O/][iii][O/] 3:30 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:

Bingo.
djsmuve415 6:32 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Every model from MK2 to MK5 is +/- 8% (with M5G having a range doubler for +/-16%).

MK5 = Yes. Never played or seen a MK2 that had +8 - so not sure what ur talking about. Not to mention - I've only seen one club in my whole career that had a MK5. Always MK2's. I'm NOT saying they're not out there or don't exist - I just haven't seen or spun on one.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:32 PM - 12 December, 2011
MK2's are +/-8.........
djsmuve415 7:48 PM - 12 December, 2011
whoops.... I stand corrected. u guys are right. my bad. I guess the whole MK5 can double to +16 through me off.. plus I've made it a habit in my career through tight programming, to never push a track or mix past +6 that made me short sighted & partially senile. oh well..

but.... the Mixtrack Pro's (yes I know its a low level piece of shit compared to a Mixdeck or NS6) pitch sliders coupled with Intro's +8 still suck balls & could use a wider pitch range ala Itch. I'm sticking with that one...
[O/][iii][O/] 7:51 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
I guess the whole MK5 can double to +16 through me off.

Incorrect. The only Technics turntable that can double to +/-16% is the SL-1210M5G
djsmuve415 7:54 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Incorrect. The only Technics turntable that can double to +/-16% is the SL-1210M5G

right - sorry. the model with the blue led's right?
[O/][iii][O/] 7:56 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

right - sorry. the model with the blue led's right?

Correct. SL-1210M5G had blue LEDs. It was Technics worst designed turntable model ever IMO.
[O/][iii][O/] 7:56 PM - 12 December, 2011
^^^ except for the tonearm.
djsmuve415 7:59 PM - 12 December, 2011
yeah, I've only played on those once - 90% of the clubs out here in the San Francisco area have 1200's or 1210's, or a mash of both.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:05 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
yeah, I've only played on those once - 90% of the clubs out here in the San Francisco area have 1200's or 1210's, or a mash of both.

that's just one of the reasons i recommend to any who asks about the M5G to steer clear of it because you'll rarely if ever encounter them in the field - which means you'll be handicapped because you won't be able to perform the same mixes out that you will at home if getting beyond the 8% range.
djsmuve415 8:07 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:

what was so different about the tonearm? I don't remember much about it...
[O/][iii][O/] 8:08 PM - 12 December, 2011
not to mention they positioned the pitch reset and pitch doubler buttons right where your wrist sits.

plus it's just downright ugly with that cheesy bass boat metal flake fingerprint magnet glossy paint job on the chassis. yuk.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:10 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

what was so different about the tonearm? I don't remember much about it...

M5G tonearm has OFC internal wiring and OFC cables. It also has an industrial matte bead blasted silver finish rather than the standard chrome.
SiRocket 8:11 PM - 12 December, 2011
i don't rock the 5g's "regular style" so i could care less about the wrists or even using those useless buttons :)
djsmuve415 8:11 PM - 12 December, 2011
ahhhhh. got it.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:12 PM - 12 December, 2011
SL-1200: no variable pitch control
SL-1200LTD: +/- 8%
SL-1200GLD: +/- 8% & +/-16%
SL-1200MK2PK: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK2: +/- 8%
SL-1210MK2: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK3: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK3D: +/- 8%
SL-1200M3D: +/- 8%
SL-1210M3D: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK4: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK5: +/- 8%
SL-1210MK5: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK5G: +/- 8%
SL-1210M5G: +/- 8% & +/-16%
SL-1200MK6-K: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK6-S: +/- 8%
SL-1200MK6K1: +/- 8%
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:12 PM - 12 December, 2011
Plus with the M5G's the platter will over compensate when pushing or pulling the platter which for an inexperienced person could throw them off greatly.........with those its best to just ride the pitch and not use your hand to nudge or slow the record.....
djsmuve415 8:25 PM - 12 December, 2011
Quote:
Plus with the M5G's the platter will over compensate when pushing or pulling the platter which for an inexperienced person could throw them off greatly.........with those its best to just ride the pitch and not use your hand to nudge or slow the record.....

God, pitch riding to me seems like such a lost art nowadays. I know most of the new cats & even some veterans get tired of me preaching it - but man touching the platter while in a mix is such a bad habit. sounds like shit, & to most of the old school club veterans I grew up with in NY, it would make u look like a rookie. If ur rocking them battle style & can do the whole DJ AM or Vice thing & make it sound smooth in a club - more power to ya. but here is a clear example of a DJ who should stop touching the platters - he is on Traktor, but I give him probs for at least using DVS & not button pressing the whole damn thing..
www.dancetrippin.tv
[O/][iii][O/] 8:32 PM - 12 December, 2011
The M5G also has an additional tracking dampner adjustment located at the base of the tonearm assembly.

Here's a shot of my MK5s that I re-fitted with M5G tonearms that shows that adjustment (look close). i802.photobucket.com