DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ's....That shouldn't even DJ...

DJ K-Zee 4:51 AM - 15 October, 2011
Hey guys, was just at one of my gigs and I've never been so frustrated before in my life... They hired an opener (which I didn't mind), the kid seemed like a cool dude, must've been no older than 17. He had pioneer 800 mk2's and a pionner djm 500 (if i remember correctly), so I figured the kid had a grasp of what he was doing.. I live in Jersey and I really can't speak for other areas but in the tri-state area, teen clubs are HUGE moneymakers.. So while I get to know the kid, (I've heard his name pop up before), he's had gigs in Pacha NYC, Merge, Rise, Karma, and other notorious gigs in the Jersey/NYC area. Kudos to him... Later in the night I let him go back on, kid can't mix for shit, goes from tech house to top40's within a track.. I'm also pretty sure the kid destroyed the clubs subs.. I only had to tell him every 5 seconds to turn down the bass on his mixer, he'd do it for five minutes and when I had my back turned went right back to it... Felt like I was babysitting my niece. Oh and when I was leaving he was still outside with his stuff in a coffin on the cement so I asked what he was doing and he goes, "I'm waiting for my ride." WHOMP..... Oh well, sorry for the rant. Something similar ever happen to any of you guys?
jwagner 8:58 AM - 15 October, 2011
djlj 3:09 PM - 15 October, 2011

laughed so hard I damn near spit orange juice on my keyboard
DJ K-Zee 4:03 PM - 15 October, 2011

lmfaooo nicee
Papa Midnight 8:36 PM - 15 October, 2011
Quote:
He had pioneer 800 mk2's and a pionner djm 500 (if i remember correctly), so I figured the kid had a grasp of what he was doing.

I keep trying to tell people that the equipment does not make the DJ. But oh well...
lvmez 12:15 AM - 16 October, 2011
i've read on other forums that DJ's have been asked to DJ at places like Pacha based on a soundcloud mix. it's embarrassing.
DJ K-Zee 4:50 AM - 16 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
He had pioneer 800 mk2's and a pionner djm 500 (if i remember correctly), so I figured the kid had a grasp of what he was doing.

I keep trying to tell people that the equipment does not make the DJ. But oh well...

I know it doesn't make the dj but when you come in with decent gear you tend to think he knows what he's doing. I didn't base my first impression off his gear but I did use it to guess how he was. If you dont make assumptions than props to you... You're better than half the people on this forum...

Quote:
i've read on other forums that DJ's have been asked to DJ at places like Pacha based on a soundcloud mix. it's embarrassing.

yes... hahah very
str8nger 5:16 AM - 16 October, 2011
what was not good about mixing tech house to top 40s? the beat matching?
djbanno 10:01 AM - 16 October, 2011
Quote:

No.. the overall concept...
DJ K-Zee 2:28 PM - 16 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

even his beatmatching was shit, when he dropped the track it was bad.. overall just a bad time
RogerRabbit 10:06 PM - 16 October, 2011
Danye 6:49 PM - 17 October, 2011
I'm not sure if you wanna throw the kid under the bus, but did you remember his name? I'm located here in NJ as well, and have heard of some the DJs around the area. I keep seeing these DJ's that are billed as a "Top NJ DJ" or "best upcoming DJ", but they mostly have sucked. I was wondering if it was the same guy.

It's easier finding good DJ's in NYC, but there's also 10x the bad ones.

I can't wait to gig out man, no disrespect to those DJ's, especially the house DJ's but I feel I'm either on their level or slightly better.. bold statement I know. Sadly it seems the NJ club scene is run by a bunch of tools. It's all about who you know (like everywhere) but these are not the type of people I want to know..

where did this gig take place?
Mr. Goodkat 7:06 PM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

exactly, its like theres no concept for their mixing.

think of it like a meal. you dont put lobster thermadore, french fries, and gumbo together. in that analogy, it would be like pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs would go together. you might throw a tbone/sirloin in there too, but no need for crab bisque, kobe beef, or grilled asparagus.