Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SL3 sound card disconnects a lot when used as a soundcard

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Dj.Mojo 9:01 AM - 6 September, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.3.0
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.8
---

Hi,

many times when I use my SL3 as a soundcard (for example with maschine) the sound just stops.

Then I have to unplug the SL3 and plug it back in in order to work again.

This is really annoying as it interrupts my workflow heavily.

I use an external power supply.

The SL3 disconnects on all USB ports and also on an active HUB.

Is this a driver issue?

Please help. THX
Dj.Mojo 2:20 PM - 6 September, 2011
I am now using Macky Onyx Black Jack and the issue is gone.

Too bad I couldn´t use the sl3 as a soundcard.
dj loco lopez 8:23 PM - 6 September, 2011
It sounds to me like its an IRQ conflict. On your computer, IRQs are assigned to devices to communicate with the processor. They interrupt communications if its absolutely necessary to contue operation. If two devices share an IRQ and one needs the system resources, it will cancel out the other device's ability to communicate with the CPU. Re-plugging the audio device might be allowing it to receive an alternate IRQ. My guess is that onboard soundcard and SL3 are fighting for work on the same IRQ.

A PC would bluescreen. Mac being a little more stable, it might just cut to its native device without warning. See if you can assign a different IRQ to the SL3. But BEWARE! IRQs changes can seriously affect the computer. So make sure you know EXACTLY which IRQs are available and whether or not they are specified for devices. Selecting an IRQ that has an important purpose could cause your system to spiral out of control. Otherwise,
Dj.Mojo 12:57 AM - 7 September, 2011
Thanks for the in-depth explanation.
What you say really sounds reasonable to me.
I tried to disable the onboard soundcard. Hoping the two won´t interrupt each other but the SL3 still had the described issues.
As I am happy with my new set-up I won´t open a can of worms by trying to correctly assign IRQs.

Have you had similar issues before or are you just computer savvy?
dj loco lopez 1:01 PM - 7 September, 2011
I am an IT professional by day. DJ by night. Lol

I have had issues with IRQs in the past, but way way way inthe past. New operating systems are excellent at handling this and as a result, it is rarely even talked about any more. But, in your situation, it sounded like it could actually be the cause. You're right though, don't open a can of worms for it. It's just not worth the aggrevation.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:11 PM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:

This is the first I've heard of this happening with the SL3.

If you decide to give the SL3 CoreAudio device another go, please let me know :)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:11 PM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
It sounds to me like its an IRQ conflict. On your computer, IRQs are assigned to devices to communicate with the processor. They interrupt communications if its absolutely necessary to contue operation. If two devices share an IRQ and one needs the system resources, it will cancel out the other device's ability to communicate with the CPU. Re-plugging the audio device might be allowing it to receive an alternate IRQ. My guess is that onboard soundcard and SL3 are fighting for work on the same IRQ.

A PC would bluescreen. Mac being a little more stable, it might just cut to its native device without warning. See if you can assign a different IRQ to the SL3. But BEWARE! IRQs changes can seriously affect the computer. So make sure you know EXACTLY which IRQs are available and whether or not they are specified for devices. Selecting an IRQ that has an important purpose could cause your system to spiral out of control. Otherwise,

Thanks for the details! :)
Dj.Mojo 9:36 AM - 8 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

This is the first I've heard of this happening with the SL3.

If you decide to give the SL3 CoreAudio device another go, please let me know :)

HI Shaun,
if you want me to, I would test possible solutions but I just don´t know anything I could try.
Do you have something in mind?
I have also tried to raise buffer size on the sl3 with no luck
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:39 PM - 8 September, 2011
If you haven't already, please download and install the 2.3.1 version of SSL and then retest. Here's a link to the download page -->> serato.com

Thanks!
Serato
Glenn M 10:02 PM - 8 September, 2011
Hi, Dj.Mojo.

I'm wondering if these disconnections happen if you never open Scratch Live since rebooting the computer.

Thanks.
Dj.Mojo 4:34 PM - 9 September, 2011
Quote:
Hi, Dj.Mojo.

I'm wondering if these disconnections happen if you never open Scratch Live since rebooting the computer.

Thanks.

I will try this tonight.
Quote:
If you haven't already, please download and install the 2.3.1 version of SSL and then retest. Here's a link to the download page -->> serato.com

Thanks!

Downloading right now
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:35 PM - 9 September, 2011
Cool, keep us posted with your findings, thanks :)
Dj.Mojo 10:36 AM - 15 September, 2011
Sorry for the delay.

The Soundcard still gets ejected :-(
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:28 PM - 15 September, 2011
Very strange.

Is this a new issue that recently started after updating to 2.3.0?

What do you mean by the soundcard gets "ejected"? Is the SL3

Core Audio driver option disappearing completely from the list of available Core Audio devices within the audio application you're using?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:34 PM - 15 September, 2011
Hey Mojo,

Do you have a DAW such as Ableton you could try testing with?
I'd be curious to know if this is happening with every CA device/program or just with the Maschine.
Dj.Mojo 7:11 PM - 15 September, 2011
Quote:
Very strange.

Is this a new issue that recently started after updating to 2.3.0?

What do you mean by the soundcard gets "ejected"? Is the SL3

Core Audio driver option disappearing completely from the list of available Core Audio devices within the audio application you're using?

1. I have had this issue with 2.2 as well
2. With ejected I mean that the sound just cuts off.
3. The Sl3 is still displayed as a sound output option in Ableton and Maschine.

@Zach
I will check if the sound still cuts off if I only open Ableton Live after a reboot.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:19 PM - 16 September, 2011
Please try this:

Move the SL3 Control Panel buffer size slider (found within your System Preferences) while there is no audio and see if audio is restored afterwards.

Thanks!
6:00 PM, 30 Sep 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.