Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

How do you activat STORED LOOPS without playhead automatically jumping to them?

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
[O/][iii][O/] 2:21 AM - 18 August, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 2.0.0
Hardware: novation-twitch
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.8
---

!@#$%!$^$#@#$%$#@!!! When a track is playing and I go to activate a pre-made/stored loop that is coming up the track automatically jumps to the loop (wrecking the mix in the process of course) rather than just activating it so the loop starts when the playhead reaches it (as it should, just like SSL does). How do I get Twitch/Itch to stop this and behave like SSL does?
radikarl 7:12 AM - 18 August, 2011
workaround: use the keyboard shortcut.

left deck: the key on the right of letter P
right deck: the key two letters to the right of letter L
(what is printed on the key depends on your keyboard language)

this works in offline player and should also work with Twitch connected.
serato.com
[O/][iii][O/] 11:24 AM - 18 August, 2011
Thanks for the workaround, and while that may good for some, I can tell you it won't be for many (self included). Here's why:

#1) The laptop isn't anywhere near Twitch when setup in booths.

#2) Even if the laptop was within reaching distance of Twitch, the last I want to be doing is moving hands of the controller/mixer to go fiddle with a keyboard to do what Twitch SHOULD be doing (same goes for SP-6 functions).

#3) This defeats the whole purpose of having an "all-in-one" controller solution if one has to rely on using a keyboard along with it to control basic functions.

#4) It disrupts the continuity of familiarity and workflow, especially for those who regularly use sister program SSL.

I certainly hope this oversight (bug?) is temporary and being fixed swiftly.

Navation/Serato please respond.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:38 AM - 18 August, 2011
Just tried the workaround. Fiddly to say the least trying to locate SHIFT and remember what symbols mean what on the keyboard to translate what they do. Can't even imagine doing this in a club environment. Plus, how do you select which stored loop you want to engage if there are more than one?
Mr Wilks 12:28 PM - 21 August, 2011
Quote:
!@#$%!$^$#@#$%$#@!!! When a track is playing and I go to activate a pre-made/stored loop that is coming up the track automatically jumps to the loop (wrecking the mix in the process of course) rather than just activating it so the loop starts when the playhead reaches it (as it should, just like SSL does). How do I get Twitch/Itch to stop this and behave like SSL does?

Totally with you there bud.

Coming from SL myself i find this pretty hard to adapt to. I keep buggering up my mixes... LIVE!
Dshizzle 7:42 PM - 22 August, 2011
+1
[O/][iii][O/] 4:15 PM - 23 August, 2011
Will someone from Serato/Novation please respond.

Need to decide if I'm ditching this unit or not.

Thanks.
Munki 7:29 AM - 24 August, 2011
+1 to this - very annoying!
NicoboxFR 8:45 AM - 24 August, 2011
i had the Twitch for 2 days then sent it back to seller for refund !!

Too annoying issues :
- can't trigger stored loops
- slicer lengths and quantification hard to set
- loops range non-reliable (you set a range then twitch forget it and set other range by itself)
- swipe mode unstable (change itself swipe to scratch to... nothing.. then swipe back, etc)
- switch between performances mode is anti-ergonomic (try to jump to cue1 after slicing !!)
Due to Itch 2.0 :
- tracks must be in "play" to be synced. Can't insert synced track by punching Hot Cues without a "pre play/stop"

In 1 word, i mastering so much my vci300 that twitch is massive regression to missed mixes.
I'll stick to vci until a vci-300 mk3 ou brand new vci comes out !!
The HotCue+CueOut in vci is my main tool for mixing. Can't loose that !

Anyway, Twitch is a very nice machine. i'm very sad to hate it !!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:42 AM - 25 August, 2011
Hey [O/][iii][O/],

Not sure if this is by design or not but I will make a note and find out. If it isn't then we'll log it as a bug and get it fixed. If it is by design maybe we need to review it and see what we can do :)

With regards to the workaround, if you turn of 'Playback keys use shift' in the Setup screen then you don't have to hold down Shift when you press [ or ' respectively.

Cheers.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:54 PM - 25 August, 2011
But how do select which stored loop to activate?
Mr Wilks 3:33 PM - 25 August, 2011
Quote:
Hey [O/][iii][O/],

Not sure if this is by design or not but I will make a note and find out. If it isn't then we'll log it as a bug and get it fixed. If it is by design maybe we need to review it and see what we can do :)

With regards to the workaround, if you turn of 'Playback keys use shift' in the Setup screen then you don't have to hold down Shift when you press [ or ' respectively.

Cheers.

Thanks for looking into this Logan.

We should be able to press any of our stored loops on the 8 pads and not have them activate instantly. I think it's without a bug as they aren't even quantized when they jump. Your timing has to be exceptional or it's train wreck time!!!

Test it by having a stored loop coming up on the waveform. Double press the AUTO LOOP button to enter the stored loops and when you are approaching your stored loop, try to activate it. If you time it as close as you can it will still get an audio glitch as timing isn't perfect.

It is more accurate to just create a new loop on the fly, disregarding my stored loops and rendering my hundreds of ones from Scratch Live useless :(

Hope this gets fixed :)
Mr Wilks 3:38 PM - 25 August, 2011
*I think it's without a doubt bug.

Oops! I missed a key word out there!
[O/][iii][O/] 3:54 PM - 25 August, 2011
Quote:
....rendering my hundreds of ones from Scratch Live useless :(

This is my biggest fear. Countless stored loops from SL. Bouncing back and forth between SL and Itch should be as transparent, seamless, familiar as possible for users - NOT this way for one program and another way for the other. Arrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Mr Wilks 4:36 PM - 25 August, 2011
I can't see any advantage to jump to the loop and instantly play unless it was quantized to the beat and i'd specifically told it to jump at that time.

We should be able to "soft takeover" the loop.

Exiting the loop can be tricky too. I found exiting loops can be inconsistent and can start a new loop (that isn't quantized) needing a double press to exit.

Also... i think this is a bug so will start a new report but a few times i got a loop to exit while it was still active by pressing the SYNC button.
The loop should check it's still active if lit green and the play head should be updated WITHIN the loop if SYNC is pressed and shouldn't exit when a short loop gets 'nudged' past the loop end point.

EG: If i have a 4 beat loop and double press the SYNC button towards the end of the loop (beat 3) i found the loop exits as it jumps to sync if the incoming track is slower than playing track.

This catches me out as i loop the one beat piano plonk at the beginning of Pitbull/Ne-Yo's 'Give Me Everything' then press sync and it jumps out of the 'loop zone' so just a shade past the loop out point... but it's too late as it's now out of the loop and will continue the track.

It took me a while to work out what was happening!

So here is the tip: If looping a track SLOWER than the one that's playing live then don't press SYNC if it's near the end of the active loop!

Wilksie
Mr Wilks 4:43 PM - 25 August, 2011
Actually... It's just dawned on me!!!!!!

This is the "Splice" function us Scratch Live users so desperately want!!!!!!

It's just not quantized to the grid so not seamless and i want to turn it off when i want as i wouldn't use it that often but would if it was an option.

Maybe a third press of the AUTO LOOP button enters this 'Splice Mode' ?

Just an idea as if it was quantized to the gird (or cue points) it could be very usable but not as a standard function!

Wilksie
[O/][iii][O/] 4:57 PM - 25 August, 2011
Quote:
Actually... It's just dawned on me!!!!!!

This is the "Splice" function us Scratch Live users so desperately want!!!!!!

It's just not quantized to the grid so not seamless and i want to turn it off when i want as i wouldn't use it that often but would if it was an option.

Maybe a third press of the AUTO LOOP button enters this 'Splice Mode' ?

Just an idea as if it was quantized to the gird (or cue points) it could be very usable but not as a standard function!

Wilksie

Well, kinda of. The SPLICE/SKIP feature needs to be where you engage it AHEAD of time and when the playhead reached the start point it automatically skips stored section and picks up playing at the end of section. I would not want to have to watch playhead and press a button right when it reaches the section to be spliced/skipped (just like I don't want to have to do the with stored loops either - needs to be engaged in advance of playhead reaching point - just like SSL).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:18 PM - 25 August, 2011
Hey guys with regards to the Saved Loops jumping when they are turned on, I have logged this so it will get reviewed and possibly fixed/changed. You are right about not being able to select which loop the keyboard shortcut turns on so I have taken note of this too - though I suppose this won't matter if the bug is fixed.

:)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:20 PM - 25 August, 2011
I'll close this thread now but with the other issue, feel free to start a new help thread and we'll tackle it there. Sorry to keep asking you guys to start new threads but it makes it easier to follow and track everything, and subsequently resolve it :)