Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

No way to activate saved loops without iTch treating the saved loop as a cue?

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH +
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Javier drada 10:17 PM - 8 August, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 2.0.0
Hardware: novation-twitch||no-fx-controller
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.8
---

I save loops on my files to turn on and off as needed. Using Twitch if I select a saved loop it doesn't simply turn on the loop but rather jumps to the loop as if it where a cue point. Is there any way to just turn on the loop without jumping to the loop position?
DJChad72 3:27 AM - 11 August, 2011
So it jumps to the point where the loop begins, but the loop is not active... correct?

I asked for the Twitch Manual to be exposed in the online manual or downloads. It is not yet there in the 2.0 section under Product Manuals. I have a feeling this will provide a lot of enlightenment on some of these "things that make you go, hmmmmm" moments. LOL :)
Javier drada 2:22 PM - 11 August, 2011
I want to activate my saved loops without it jumping to that point, if you hit it now it automatically jumps to that part of the track.
DJChad72 6:45 PM - 11 August, 2011
I may be blonder than normal but activate a saved loop but don't play the loop?

Do you want the song to keep playing and then use a loop from same track to also play?
Javier drada 7:44 PM - 11 August, 2011
Go try it in the mix and you will see what i am talking about.
radikarl 11:23 AM - 12 August, 2011
i think what Javier means is:

(example)
playhead is at 1:00.
turn on prepared loop at 1:30 without jumping there
playhead eventually runs into the loop and from then on plays inside the loop
DJChad72 11:34 AM - 12 August, 2011
So pre-enable the loop and then activate once playhead enters the section of track?
Javier drada 12:02 PM - 12 August, 2011
You can't pre-enable, that is what I am talking about.
Javier drada 12:02 PM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
i think what Javier means is:

(example)
playhead is at 1:00.
turn on prepared loop at 1:30 without jumping there
playhead eventually runs into the loop and from then on plays inside the loop

Yes
DJChad72 8:48 PM - 12 August, 2011
yup I'm with you now.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:10 AM - 16 August, 2011
Hey guys,

This is currently the intended functionality for saved loops. Are you able to just trigger a normal auto-loop with the same size as the saved loop you would like to engage?

The thinking is that if you are wishing to enter a saved loop you would want to jump to that point. If you wish to turn a loop of a certain section on, you can use a normal auto-loop.

Does that make sense?

Sam.
DJChad72 12:32 AM - 16 August, 2011
It makes sense to me. I am assuming the OP needed to proactively activate the loop because of their hands being needed elsewhere. I could see where it is useful, but very rarely am I doing something that elaborate I run out of hands. LOL
radikarl 7:50 AM - 16 August, 2011
what happens when using the keyboard shortcut instead of the hardware to toggle the manual loop?

this should definitely not jump to the loop, unless you hold the CTRL key at the same time ( or was it shift? )
NicoboxFR 3:34 PM - 16 August, 2011
I ordered the Twitch and waiting for it in a few days.
I may have the same issue, i did a lot of Loops using Cue1,2,3 in/out on my vci-300.
for eg : when loading a track with a loop on cue1, you can click "cue1 out" and the loop will roll as soon as the needle enter the looped part of the song.
This is very usefull to auto-trigger loops as ending track...

I really hope Twitch will allow tricks like that !
Javier drada 7:05 PM - 16 August, 2011
Quote:
I ordered the Twitch and waiting for it in a few days.
I may have the same issue, i did a lot of Loops using Cue1,2,3 in/out on my vci-300.
for eg : when loading a track with a loop on cue1, you can click "cue1 out" and the loop will roll as soon as the needle enter the looped part of the song.
This is very usefull to auto-trigger loops as ending track...

I really hope Twitch will allow tricks like that !

That is exactly how I use it.
radikarl 7:07 PM - 16 August, 2011
Quote:
what happens when using the keyboard shortcut instead of the hardware to toggle the manual loop?

this ??
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:34 PM - 16 August, 2011
NicoboxFR,

You can still do this using an auto-loop. When you enable an auto-loop it will automatically create a loop of a desired length and will not jump to the start of it. You can adjust this using the touch strip. The only time it jumps to a loop is if you are triggering a saved loop via hardware controls.

Sam.
djandyb86 11:34 AM - 17 August, 2011
This has me worried.. I am awaiting twitch (hopefully tomorrow) and I do exactly what was suggested earlier...

I have some one beat loops looped in songs (usually at the end) on scratch live and I mix the song in and then just select the loop i want to become on, click loop and it's ready to loop once the track gets there... Are you saying that this will no longer be possible? I don't want to be having to try and do one beat loops on the fly as that is just risky as hell.
radikarl 11:50 AM - 17 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

this ??

can someone try and report? i don't have a twitch (yet...) but i guess this should work
Mr Wilks 2:51 PM - 17 August, 2011
Quote:
This has me worried.. I am awaiting twitch (hopefully tomorrow) and I do exactly what was suggested earlier...

I have some one beat loops looped in songs (usually at the end) on scratch live and I mix the song in and then just select the loop i want to become on, click loop and it's ready to loop once the track gets there... Are you saying that this will no longer be possible? I don't want to be having to try and do one beat loops on the fly as that is just risky as hell.

Totally.

I ran into this within the first 20 mins of playing with my Twitch!

I want to activate a loop near the end of the track like i do with Scratch Live but it jumps to it. I suppose i'll get used to it but i keep getting caught out!

I kinda expected the two programs to share a similar workflow but i'm finding the odd quirks between the two.

Used Twitch for the first time last night live after only a few hours of playing at home and must say it held up well. I had to think a lot for the first time in ages. It kept me on my toes.

I RCA'd it into a Pioneer DJM 600 and CDJ1000 just as back up. I didn't need it (but i have had two crashes re-analysing my collection so didn't feel 100% using it).

Wilksie
Javier drada 6:23 PM - 17 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this ??

can someone try and report? i don't have a twitch (yet...) but i guess this should work

Sorry I can't test further I sent my unit back, EQ knobs were too stiff and had no grip for my liking.
radikarl 6:29 PM - 17 August, 2011
edit:
this works for me in the offline player.
so i strongly assume this works with any hardware as well.

don't know which key it is on the international keyboard, but for german, it is Ü

( the key to the right of P )
radikarl 6:30 PM - 17 August, 2011
Quote:
( the key to the right of P )

this is for the left deck. right deck is the key below that. ( german: Ä )
djandyb86 10:26 AM - 18 August, 2011
just arrived.. i will check it out, if i can still do this via the laptop it's not a massive issue, just a bit annoying as that's the whole point of the controller... Maybe they will update this in time sto come if enough ppl want it?
NicoboxFR 11:57 AM - 18 August, 2011
Mine is in the hand of ups now, should get it by monday. Can't wait to try it myself and find an issue with stored loops.
djandyb86 6:34 PM - 18 August, 2011
just rebuilt some of the loops but yeah it's a massive bind. How do you loop the old saved loops, the deck display is different to scratch live which i didnt realise. It doesn't have the cue markers or the loop buttons so guess there isn't a way to do that?
Mr Wilks 7:29 PM - 18 August, 2011
@djandyb86

I'm running into many of the same issues. What a learning curve!
djandyb86 7:41 PM - 18 August, 2011
yeah.. i don't get how the cue points and loop markers are there in the offline player, then disappear in the online mode. Makes little sense being able to set them like in scratch live then have them disappear when twitch is plugged in?! Mods?! Anyone an idea why it does this... waveforms are tiny as well for the whole track overview, don't think it's anywhere near as easy to see where you are!

Mr.Wilks has it spot on, perseverence will win through!
Nonnus 10:49 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
I RCA'd it into a Pioneer DJM 600 and CDJ1000 just as back up. I didn't need it (but i have had two crashes re-analysing my collection so didn't feel 100% using it).

hey, sorry to hijack the thread but may i just ask if you got to mach the twitch and cdj 1000 levels on the mixer ? if so, how high did u have to raise the twitch channel gain on the mixer to match the cdj 1000 ?
Mr Wilks 11:20 PM - 18 August, 2011
Hey Nonnus

I had the booth set to max and it was very weak. Lots of gain was involved on the Pio 600!!! I will be running it out of the balanced outs through the main system soon but i didn't want to chance it straight away.

Wilksie
Nonnus 2:17 AM - 19 August, 2011
thanks for the quick reply Mr Wilks :)

please let us know when you test again with 1/4" outs but i dont think you will get very different levels, according to specs both outputs have same exact power…

on my case i have only been using those outputs and not very impressed with the so called hi gain output card in twitch