Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

This new video SL Beta???

Clifty 12:04 AM - 4 July, 2011
I saw a dj using it last night, he used it all night and seemed fine.... I REALLY need this, I'd love to try it... The new display lay out is SOO much nicer and user friendly.... If it's a private beta, can someone please invite me to test also...?
djpuma_gemini 12:33 AM - 4 July, 2011
it's a private beta and now that you just mentioned it on the forums your chances of being invited are slim to none.

I didn't know there was a beta and I'm not involved in it in any way, but i would like to see it now.
djnak 3:12 AM - 4 July, 2011
are you sure it wasnt just M.e. seems to me like vsl doesnt give a shit about updates lol
tomatoslice 3:34 AM - 4 July, 2011
sooooo basically, you saw a dj using what you thought was vsl and didn't bother to ask anything about it.
djpuma_gemini 3:38 AM - 4 July, 2011
oh yeah could have been ME
DJ James 3:50 AM - 4 July, 2011
I think if there was an update we already would have got some kind of hint about it
someone by now would had slip up the secret but nope

No update ME is the Only thing out there
djpuma_gemini 4:03 AM - 4 July, 2011
i'm sure they are working on something, maybe they need more testers.
Millz 4:56 AM - 4 July, 2011
lol@this thread
Clifty 1:35 PM - 4 July, 2011
Jesus... I only asked... ME??? Don't know what this is, my Serato gets an update when I hear about one or in this case see one... The DJ using it was Beat A Maxx in the uk, it showed the left and right video playing up in the left and right corners by the track info or where the album art would display.. The mixed image appeared in the middle at the top of the track listing... There was also some different image mix options, one called 'fall back' which I liked...

As for the guy that said I saw someone using what I thought was VSL and didn't ask anything about it... WTF??? It was VSL, I use mine 5 nights a week and have been a Serato user for the last 3.5 years at least so I'm well qualified to know what I was looking at... Don't know if you actually work as a DJ but I have enough respect to let him get on with his job. He did however say he updated it a couple of weeks ago which is why I looked on here last night when I got back from a weekend away - couldn't see anything so I asked.. Isn't that what this forum is for???

I never knew there was such thing as "Secret Beta Testers', I just want to be using the best version of a product I have been loyal to for a long time, always supported and paid good money for. I liked the differences i saw and would at least like to know when it will be released.
Rebelguy 2:04 PM - 4 July, 2011
You just described the program called Mix Emergency, It is not a new VSL.
Clifty 2:06 PM - 4 July, 2011
Ok... After all that.. It does look like it may have been the ME I saw being used... Well, VSL needs to up it's game because while I write in this forum on my PC, my Macbook is currently downloading my new Video Softwear. Thanks for your help guys.... :)
djpuma_gemini 4:33 PM - 4 July, 2011
So you watched for 3 hours and didn't ask what program he was using?

You definitely described Mix Emergency in your previous post.
djnak 7:09 PM - 4 July, 2011
maybe the guy just didnt want to let him in on the secret so he told him it was a beta lol
I get that what version of scratch live video is this from other djs and it is a pain in the ass explaining what M.e. does and how it works with serato blah blah blah
DJCrank 12:48 AM - 5 July, 2011
ROFLMAO at this entire thread...too funny...lol
jwagner 6:28 AM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
The DJ using it was Beat A Maxx in the uk, it showed the left and right video playing up in the left and right corners by the track info or where the album art would display.. The mixed image appeared in the middle at the top of the track listing... There was also some different image mix options, one called 'fall back' which I liked...

I've had people trainspot my screen before..... but this???
djpuma_gemini 2:09 PM - 5 July, 2011
I don't like the fall back trans.

I just went through and played every transition and turned off the ones that don't work well during blends.
Like anything with a V or H.
Forgot the exact name, but hate the one where you have the fader in the middle and the video is a little slit, not cool, when you look at the tvs halfway during your transition and notice a slit for the video.
djnak 6:03 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:

I just went through and played every transition and turned off the ones that don't work well during blends.

M.e. ftw!!!!

Now if V.sl. added that option and some better effects and transition I would start using it again ( I really do miss using group 5 on the ttm to control effects compared to a midi controller) but then again who am I kidding a new vsl will come out and M.e. will still be better
jbnyc 7:55 PM - 5 July, 2011
Lol at the guy saying he KNOWS it was VSL! I guess 5 nights a week 3 and a half years later of djing under a rock doesnt give you too much experience huh?
DJ James 2:44 AM - 6 July, 2011
lol like that one Cool
jbnyc 4:18 PM - 6 July, 2011
Btw +1 at the dj not telling other dj's about his secret weapon! (ME) lol
Matt Allcock 1:09 PM - 7 July, 2011
Gonna have to get me this Mix Emergency. It looks to me like it's heaps better than VSL. (as much as I hate to say it)

Does anyone have any news on an update for VSL? I'd love to stick to this software if it was as good as ME.
Culprit 4:13 PM - 7 July, 2011
namm 2012
tomatoslice 5:08 PM - 7 July, 2011
Quote:

Does anyone have any news on an update for VSL? I'd love to stick to this software if it was as good as ME.

we'd all love to stay with VSL but it has not been as good as ME since the day inklen released it.

as far as updates, IF anyone knows anything they are not speaking up.
so either:
1) they are quietly phasing it out.
2) they are preparing something big.

i'd bet on the former.
haven't there always been leaks with serato and vsl updates? any leaks lately? nope.
and the VSL admins, where are they? a product that is in focus, wouldn't you watch it?
from what i can tell the ONLY thing that keeps SSL a money maker is the hardware or licensing the software to hardware companies. so far, unless i missed a product, only Rane has the license. that's why they keep putting out new hardware, to keep the money flow.
many of the people that use SSL bought the product years ago. many new djs are switching to other products.
so the best thing for SSL is for people to keep buying hardware or pay for upgrades. if you don't like paid upgrades, you are not seeing the big picture. if there is no money flow into SSL why would they pay attention to a dwindling product?

VSL is a direct product of SSL. so why put the time into it? and VSL for Itch that would have to be a whole new program not a mod. therefore an update to VSL is not likely any time soon.

i am not saying that VSL is totally not being worked on but it's obviously on the back burner.
itch is the future (sorry). have you noticed all the products coming out and a lot of work being done to make it better? lot of money flow there and a lot of licensing being done to more than just one company.

MAYBE they are planning something big, maybe.
but most of us are thinking "Yea, ok but then ME will come out blow it away, again."
djnak 7:24 PM - 7 July, 2011
Quote:

"Yea, ok but then ME will come out blow it away, again."

+1
Matt Allcock 9:46 PM - 7 July, 2011
Totally agree, there's not been an update for ages and it does *appear* to be put on the back burner as a dwindling product. I kinda hope in the back of my mind that it will be a MASSIVE update and have mega mega features, and everyone will wonder why they have been using only MP3s all this time.... I mean I think that the Video Jockey is the way of the future - I can sell me set as one-up onthe next jock as I can offer video with my set! It keeps me in work.....

Quick question - does ME work with ITCH?
jbnyc 10:03 PM - 7 July, 2011
Quote:
Totally agree, there's not been an update for ages and it does *appear* to be put on the back burner as a dwindling product. I kinda hope in the back of my mind that it will be a MASSIVE update and have mega mega features, and everyone will wonder why they have been using only MP3s all this time.... I mean I think that the Video Jockey is the way of the future - I can sell me set as one-up onthe next jock as I can offer video with my set! It keeps me in work.....

Quick question - does ME work with ITCH?

no
tomatoslice 1:47 AM - 9 July, 2011
if my thoughts are true, i am kinda bummed about this.
it would be nice if serato granted license permission for inklen to create a video plug in for itch.
inklen has proven to stay in focus and provide a good, solid product.

not sure if there is any bad blood between the 2 companies but hopefully it is not something that can't be worked out.
DJ Tecniq 1:26 AM - 19 July, 2011
ME is badass!! I've been using the demo for a few months. It is 10 times more smoother than VSL. Transitions are dope. It performs better than VSL ever has. I already signed up w/ SmashVidz and getting ME soon! I can't wait. ME plugin + VSL just works! Like a mac.
tomatoslice 4:12 AM - 20 July, 2011
ME plugin + VSL?!?
vinylmanipulator 4:24 AM - 20 July, 2011
with the beta's now out and Itch's foundation basically redone to look/feel like serato do you think a new version of VSl will be out in the next few months? A new version that will be available to Itch and Scratchlive users? With a major update?...lol
djnak 4:50 AM - 20 July, 2011
Quote:
A new version that will be available to Itch and Scratchlive users? With a major update?...lol

hahahahahaha
DJ Tecniq 4:51 AM - 20 July, 2011
Quote:
ME plugin + VSL?!?
yeh for the demo you gotta use ME w/VSL it wouldn't let me play 2 videos. I meant just ME but I'm still using the demo version
DJ Tecniq 4:53 AM - 20 July, 2011
Quote:
with the beta's now out and Itch's foundation basically redone to look/feel like serato do you think a new version of VSl will be out in the next few months? A new version that will be available to Itch and Scratchlive users? With a major update?...lol
Apparently so there will be video support in Itch soon. See thread

serato.com
tomatoslice 2:30 PM - 20 July, 2011
Quote:

"technically"?

no, i do not think a new version of vsl will be out any time soon.
vsl stands for video scratch live and is intended for serato scratch live (ssl).
ssl and itch are 2 totally different programs. they are not compatible.
to make vsl work with itch is not possible. an entirely new video program would have to be coded from the bottom up to run video in itch. they can not just modify vsl for itch. it does not work that way.

i don't need to explain why it is obvious the main focus is not ssl or vsl at this time. there's too much to mention.

so again, no vsl any time soon can be expected.
jbnyc 4:36 PM - 20 July, 2011
Great to have a serato spokesman in the forum! :)
vinylmanipulator 5:31 PM - 20 July, 2011
lol, well hopefully ONE day we'll see something since I recall reading somewhere with the new betas that they're looking to have more updates regularly....we'll see..
vinylmanipulator 5:36 PM - 20 July, 2011
@ Techniq, I've always known that both the bridge and vsl will be going to Itch at some point. I'm just speculating. I remember before the bridge was release there was that major release (2.0) and then shortly after 2.1 with the bridge was released. I believe that's the way it was if memory serves me correct.
DJ Tecniq 11:46 PM - 20 July, 2011
Quote:
"technically"?

no, i do not think a new version of vsl will be out any time soon.
vsl stands for video scratch live and is intended for serato scratch live (ssl).
ssl and itch are 2 totally different programs. they are not compatible.
to make vsl work with itch is not possible. an entirely new video program would have to be coded from the bottom up to run video in itch. they can not just modify vsl for itch. it does not work that way.

i don't need to explain why it is obvious the main focus is not ssl or vsl at this time. there's too much to mention.

so again, no vsl any time soon can be expected.
I don't necessarily believe that. I was told from a worker @ samash that video will soon be supported in Itch & the bridge. Why would serato only create a video platform for serato? Itch users are going to want it at some point it will be very convienent for mobile dj's. And there's already talk about it in the forums that it is coming!
tomatoslice 2:21 AM - 21 July, 2011
oh whoops...i should have clarified.

YES, i am quite certain VIDEO will be supported by itch.
to not have it would be ridiculous.

however, i'd bet that VSL will not be for itch.
it would have to be a whole new build, so really it would be a different product.
VSL=SSL
itch=some other video name like "video itch"
DJ Tecniq 2:44 AM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
oh whoops...i should have clarified.

YES, i am quite certain VIDEO will be supported by itch.
to not have it would be ridiculous.

however, i'd bet that VSL will not be for itch.
it would have to be a whole new build, so really it would be a different product.
VSL=SSL
itch=some other video name like "video itch"
Yeah I agree they have to market it somehow but I can guarantee every dj that uses itch is going to want it. It's all about making money and watch them release it for itch when no one is expecting it.
tomatoslice 2:53 AM - 21 July, 2011
the new build is pretty much the reason that ME will not work for itch.
that and serato would have to allow ME compatibility.

kind of makes me worried for inklen. i hope they have a good game plan. i'd love to see what else they can produce.