DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

so, where are you using SSL?

DJ Dynamight 5:56 PM - 17 August, 2004
I thought it would be nice to list some locations where people can go to experience Scratch LIVE in action. I haven't gotten any 'real' gigs lately, my next one will probably be on the 25th of Sept. I'm patiently waiting for version 1.2 to be released by then! =)

So, where are y'all performing with it? What cities/clubs etc.?
BassChamber 9:05 PM - 17 August, 2004
im performing in Spain. i think im the first one using SSL here :P

pitch drifting is annoying but it doesnt make me to stop using SSL every gig...
DJ White Lightning 2:10 AM - 18 August, 2004
Jamaican Gold @ the El Rey Theatre every Sunday Night
5515 Wilshire Blvd. - Los Angeles, CA

Jamaica Live @ Dragonfly every Thursday Night
6510 Santa Monica Blvd. - Hollywood CA

I will be more than happy to give VIP entrance to any potential buyers who wish to see SSL LIVE IN ACTION...

call me @ 323-788-4653.
DJ 3pm 3:09 PM - 18 August, 2004
I know myself and another DJ on this forum (he can pipe up if he wants to be known) are using SSL for on-line shows @ www.PartyRadioUSA.net
kza 12:18 PM - 19 August, 2004
hey white lightening
im bout to go to lasvegas in january and maybe do a tour to la
can u write me an email to kza@hushmail.com?
thx
J-BRAVO 6:28 PM - 19 August, 2004
im from london and am using my SSL in oslo norway at the moment. no-one out here has seen anything like it before
Lord Kaseem 1:11 PM - 21 August, 2004
I'm In the Baltimore D.C. market... www.crookedstreetz.com
TGK 2:07 PM - 21 August, 2004
I'm from Sri Lanka... I Think I'm the only one here perform with this superb instrument. :-D
eder 5:15 AM - 23 August, 2004
i'm from orange county, california and i use it for house parties, warehouse dances, and school music (i'm the sound tech for troy high in fullerton)...SSL's never let me down and i'm the only person i know that has it in So Cal
chubbsta 12:25 PM - 23 August, 2004
This is Germany spinning with this wonderful piece of technology ;-)
Hektor Ruiez 1:10 PM - 23 August, 2004
I'm from Glasgow / Scotland, I have mostly been using ssl at home though it's coming out with me in september to a few nights I'll be playing at in Glasgow and Edinburgh.
I know of one other person who has it in Glasgow, and a few who are in the process of selling FS to obtain it.
DJ Dynamight 3:20 PM - 23 August, 2004
cool guys, good to hear!

I showed SSL to a friend yesterday in NYC, and he was ready to go out and purchase it immediately!! I'm not sure if Guitar Center carries it, we tried calling and was put on hold for like 10 minutes...then hung up. I checked Sam Ash's website and didn't see it there...tonight after work he's gonna try to find someone that sells it...I told him to go to Rock & Soul.

I have another friend in Charlotte, NC that is about to get SSL too! 8-)
skutch 4:36 PM - 23 August, 2004
I dj in Philly USA
dynamight i bought my SSl at turntable lab in nyc
DJ Dynamight 5:29 PM - 23 August, 2004
Quote:
dynamight i bought my SSl at turntable lab in nyc

I got mine from there too!...(at the Remix Hotel) :-)
radish 5:46 PM - 23 August, 2004
I was at Remix Hotel, went to the Turntable Lab stand, bought FS. Doh! Why didn't somebody warn me? :)
depakote 6:13 PM - 23 August, 2004
I live in Tempe, AZ but am not quite to the club level. I'm actually more interested in playing in a live band environment.
DJ Dynamight 7:22 PM - 23 August, 2004
Quote:
I was at Remix Hotel, went to the Turntable Lab stand, bought FS. Doh! Why didn't somebody warn me? :)

It's ok, I understand the FS guy put a gun to your head, after all he has sales requirements to fulfill...kids to feed etc.

We forgive you for your unfortunate mistake (especially since SSL was on display in the Rane room!). Now, you must warn every other gullible person you come across. :-)
J-BRAVO 4:15 AM - 24 August, 2004
im from london but staying in norway at the moment and using SSL in oslo
depakote 5:48 AM - 24 August, 2004
I was in Oslo last Christmas, it was a beautiful place! One of the few times I've been in snow. I wouldn't be able to handle it in the long wrong being from the desert though!
diego vega 7:46 AM - 24 August, 2004
I'm from Montevideo, Uruguay but I'm living and using SSL around Ecuador with another DJ friend of mine, Diego Celi. We are both the first DJs using SSL in Ecuador!
depakote 10:09 AM - 26 August, 2004
Let all join hands and sing: We are the world...
nik39 10:17 AM - 26 August, 2004
... we are the children...
depakote 10:23 AM - 26 August, 2004
Where do the SSL moderators live?
Serato
Josh 10:56 PM - 26 August, 2004
Everyone with Serato under their name lives in Auckland, New Zealand.

Although AJ has been travelling around with the vinyl kombat tour for a few months now...

The Rane guys are all based out of Seattle, AFAIK...
depakote 7:01 AM - 27 August, 2004
Now I see why I don't get you guys on the telephone.
djpetey 10:48 AM - 27 August, 2004
this might explain why you seem to be responding to posts at really weird hours of the night....theyre probably not weird hours of the night in new zealand
Lord Kaseem 10:00 PM - 27 August, 2004
Hold On what the Fuck...This product is from New Zealand...Brilliant. So what goes on in New Zealand? What music do you listen too. I heard yall have a weird since of humor, or is that Austraila? And aint the dude from A Beutiful Mind from there. Is New Zealand It's own country or is it part of Austrailia? I know these sound like stupid questions. I figured that the Japanese came up with this product...And do Boomerangs really work?
Lord Kaseem 10:01 PM - 27 August, 2004
Beautiful Mind*
DJ White Lightning 10:13 PM - 27 August, 2004
Wierd since of humor?
DJ Dynamight 10:54 PM - 27 August, 2004
lol
depakote 11:04 PM - 27 August, 2004
Quote:
And do Boomerangs really work?
LOL! I think your thinking of Australia bro!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 11:46 PM - 27 August, 2004
From nz.com :

"New Zealand is situated the same distance eastwards from Australia as London is to Moscow. So if anybody tells you it's right next to Australia, tell them to piss off."
rhodes1 12:05 AM - 28 August, 2004
Did you ever see any of the lotr filming?

Did you try to be an extra in any of the scenes?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 12:30 AM - 28 August, 2004
Only 1% of the adult NZ population were extras in the LOTR films. I wasn't one of them.
KFunk 1:50 AM - 28 August, 2004
Tempe Az Fri Aug 27th - Flip Flops bar and grill
Tempe, Az Sat Aug 28th - Ecelctique Lounge @ Bostons
eclectiquelounge.com
depakote 2:19 AM - 28 August, 2004
Are you using SSL KFunk? I'm familar with some of AZ's DJ's but am not sure if I have heard you spin. What styles are you into?
skutch 3:52 PM - 28 August, 2004
Hey Kassem I heard in America, the streets are paved with gold. L*

(I couldn't resist a good bust....Philly over here.)
skutch 3:53 PM - 28 August, 2004
Sorry i forgot an "e"
Geometrix 10:24 PM - 28 August, 2004
DJ Geometrix (Trooperz Crew/Global Alliance/RANE/ESDJCO) from the Washington, DC / Northern Virginia USA area

Proud user of Serato Scratch Live

www.djgeometrix.com
www.trooperz.com
www.rane.com
Lord Kaseem 10:51 PM - 28 August, 2004
I got a friend of mind in my martial Arts class that said he was in Australia for like a year. He said it was founded by the Criminals of Europe and that the people in Austalia have like a Morbid sense of humor.I been to London and Denmark Copenhagen, and Paris France, and Japan. No one ever booked us down under, but I want to visit that side of town. I'm gonna check that link, but what is New Zealand known for? You know about American stuff, Westerns,Jazz,Hip Hop, NBA,NFL, Logo's and stuff. I did notice when I got out of America how commercial we are. I needed a 220 volt adapter in London and I asked for a Radio Shack, and they took me to a electronic parts store. I mean that's what Radio Shack is, but in America we brand it...in short we are very commercial. I also noticed that everything is big in America as Compared to other cities around the world. I saw mostly small cars in DEnmark, france and U.K. In america, we got Caddilacs and SUv's. Any way I'll check the link.
Lord Kaseem 11:08 PM - 28 August, 2004
O.k. I checked out the site and Yall do have a morbid sense of humor, it's cool. I'm cool with that. So besides KIwi fruit, what are some of the other national products I may have heard of?
nik39 11:13 PM - 28 August, 2004
Quote:
In america, we got Caddilacs and SUv's.

Big cars which use lots of gasoline which polutes the environment, nothing to be proud of ;)
Lord Kaseem 11:42 PM - 28 August, 2004
Actually your right, I didn't say I was proud, I was merely pointing out differences. I do like Caddilacs but I wish they would use the technology that is already developed to not be so dependant or dependent on foriegn oil. There are all types of options, but unfortunately there are some drawbacks to a commercial economy.
nik39 12:00 AM - 29 August, 2004
Yeah, if I had the money I would get a car which eats only 3 liters of gas on 100km. That would be great. But my car right eats more than 8 :(
J-BRAVO 1:07 AM - 29 August, 2004
america produces over 25% of the worlds polution
chubbsta 1:15 AM - 29 August, 2004
25% at the moment... Which'll be over when everybody in China wants a car... Then they'll pass the torch to them.
Lord Kaseem 1:19 AM - 29 August, 2004
LOL yeah, China is ready to surpass america in consumerism probably in the next 10 years. But I'm pretty sure they will unleash some of these other technologies like cars running on water, More Hybrids, and battery operated. I'm not sure why we don't use Solar more, especially in Sunny areas like California, or hell the Middle east for that matter.
J-BRAVO 2:47 AM - 29 August, 2004
what do you think to 'long hot summer' kaseem? apologies if youve been asked before on here.
depakote 6:18 AM - 29 August, 2004
I can't stand all the huge vehicles on the road here in AZ! People even drive Hummers which I don't think is necessary unless you are in a war zone.
Lord Kaseem 4:55 PM - 29 August, 2004
I've liked both albums that he has put out since the INC. departure. I always thought he was underated MC, just not a great leader.
nik39 5:00 PM - 29 August, 2004
I liked the 2001 Disposable Arts LP more than the latest. It has more of a line through the whole album, and the skits+instrumentals were better. But yeah, he is an underated MC. Live he's the ish, seen him twice.
nik39 5:35 PM - 29 August, 2004
That album was one of my favourites in that year, one of my favourite lines (thats why I love this guy):

Quote:
I don't do White music, I don't do Black music
I make rap music, for hip hop kids

Taken from Dont Understand ft. Greg Nice.
Hubb 6:05 PM - 29 August, 2004
Dallas texas
SSL rocks with its cock out
J-BRAVO 1:34 AM - 30 August, 2004
cool - sorry to hijack
KFunk 2:56 AM - 30 August, 2004
depakote, The styles I play these days are mostly down tempo, funk, acid jazz, breaks, drum & bass, broken beat, house, brazillian and a bit of hip hop. I do a bi-monthly event called the ecletique lounge and If I'm Dj'ing then I will probably be using the scratch live. If I'm not Djing for the night then I will probably be VJ'ing using Arkoas. Last Friday and Saturday it worked without a problem.
depakote 5:43 AM - 30 August, 2004
Cool, I'll have to come out and watch you spin with SSL. I just starting out so it would be awesome to see someone with some skills mix on it. Seeing Arkoas live in effect would be cool too.
depakote 5:51 AM - 30 August, 2004
So how has your overall experience with SSL been KFunk?
KFunk 4:21 AM - 1 September, 2004
My experience so far has been outstanding. After using it two nights in a row last weekend it was flawless except for the problem, slight crackling that was fixed by the update that came out today. Taking the SSL off the mixer after playing, but while the other DJ is playing is a breeze compared to the FS. I have converted several FS users now.
depakote 4:57 AM - 1 September, 2004
Awesome! I'll have to come check you out!