Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

pitch bend, whilst in absolute/relative mode

Stuart Ramdeen 11:20 PM - 15 August, 2004
it would be kinda cool if there was a way to map 4 keyboard buttons (2 for each deck side) so that you could pitch bend up and down on the keyboard whilst mixing vinyl. I'm not sure how this would work, but something along the lines of:

when record is playing and you press pitch bend key, ssl captures the exact pitch that the record was spinning at, quickly turns to internal mode (or something similar) and then bends the pitch for as long as you hold down the key. When you release the key, it instantly turns back into absolute/relative mode and you go along with your normal day

Then you'd never have to tweak the record whilst in the mix, only hit a pitch bend key to give a nice temporary gradual increase/decrease

Then map this to 4 powermates! :D
s
feniks 12:08 AM - 16 August, 2004
kinda defeats the purpose of using the vinyl feature in the first place...don't ya think? the pitch bend would be a good feature to have if you were djing soley in internal mode (see earlier discussion...)
DJ Dynamight 1:29 AM - 16 August, 2004
If you're playing a song pitched at 3% at time 1:10, and then positive pitch bend for 3 seconds, when the record reaches 1:13 (based on the noise map pressed on the vinyl) and the song playing in SSL is at 1:14~1:15, when you switch out of internal mode the record would be behind SSL = no good!
nik39 1:39 AM - 16 August, 2004
not if its played in absolute mode.
SpinThis! 4:48 AM - 16 August, 2004
Quote:
kinda defeats the purpose of using the vinyl feature in the first place...don't ya think?

i agree. the whole point of the app is *control using turntables*. if your turntables got pitch bend buttons, great... otherwise fuhhhgeetttabouuuttiiiit!
feniks 9:10 AM - 16 August, 2004
i think this would be a good feature to have while in internal mode. so if for some reason you have to switch to internal mode you have a way to nudge the track while you are mixing. i actually suggested this feature a while ago (see number 3 in the following thread).

www.scratchlive.net
Stuart Ramdeen 9:12 AM - 16 August, 2004
Quote:
If you're playing a song pitched at 3% at time 1:10, and then positive pitch bend for 3 seconds, when the record reaches 1:13 (based on the noise map pressed on the vinyl) and the song playing in SSL is at 1:14~1:15, when you switch out of internal mode the record would be behind SSL = no good!

true. oh well, no absolute mode for this function then! never mind...
lancota 3:39 PM - 16 August, 2004
Quote:
it would be kinda cool if there was a way to map 4 keyboard buttons (2 for each deck side) so that you could pitch bend up and down on the keyboard whilst mixing vinyl. I'm not sure how this would work, but something along the lines of:

when record is playing and you press pitch bend key, ssl captures the exact pitch that the record was spinning at, quickly turns to internal mode (or something similar) and then bends the pitch for as long as you hold down the key. When you release the key, it instantly turns back into absolute/relative mode and you go along with your normal day

Then you'd never have to tweak the record whilst in the mix, only hit a pitch bend key to give a nice temporary gradual increase/decrease

Then map this to 4 powermates! :D
s

Just go out and get Traktor DJ Studio. It's perfect for these features (except the powermate stuff... I never really got it to work like it supposed to) But seriously, why use pitchbend through an interface? it totally defeats the purpse of having vinyl on the decks...plus, DJ Studio it fairly cheap and what I'd really like to see is the SSL interface and core audio drivers so I could use it as my external sound card for Traktor DJ studio...that way, if SSL crashes I still have a backup literally at my fingertips :)
BassChamber 4:56 PM - 16 August, 2004
Quote:
...that way, if SSL crashes I still have a backup literally at my fingertips :)

thats the point!
J-BRAVO 5:41 PM - 24 August, 2004
bad idea
tashafa 6:54 PM - 26 August, 2004
POWERMATE sucks!!!!
Alexander 7:05 PM - 26 August, 2004
LOL tashafa...I see you have had the same issues as some of us other users that tried using there Powermate with SSL.
nik39 7:08 PM - 26 August, 2004
I just saw the official video here with one TT and powermate. That powermate thing is a one button USB device? If so, whats wrong with it?
djpetey 7:19 PM - 26 August, 2004
yeah....i just bought one after watching the video..... does it not work? should I take it back before I open it? What the complaints with the powermate?
Alexander 8:01 PM - 26 August, 2004
nothing wrong with the Powermate itself ...it just sometimes fails in SSL and renders it unusable...also some people feel including myself that there is a lot of room for error with the limited command options that you can give. Just my 2 cents.
tashafa 9:34 PM - 26 August, 2004
POWERMATE sucks!!!!
Alexander 12:22 AM - 27 August, 2004
we know your feelings tashafa.
djpetey 10:40 AM - 27 August, 2004
tashafa..... other than the fact that "it sucks" can you elaborate a little bit? why dont you like it?
Prime-X 4:57 PM - 27 August, 2004
If you're not careful on using it you might end up loading the track at the wrong side of the deck(TT or CD), other than that I think powermate is a good or ok controller.
Alexander 6:14 PM - 27 August, 2004
I agree with it is an ok controller...just room for to much error.
djpetey 12:16 AM - 28 August, 2004
yeah.... I saw that problem coming.... Im gonna give it a try and see if it makes me faster or just causes mistakes..... I like the idea of never taking my hands off my mixer or tables
depakote 6:46 AM - 28 August, 2004
Has anyone tried the Shuttle Pro or Shuttle Pro Xpress?
Prime-X 12:38 AM - 30 August, 2004
Yes, I'm thinking about exchanging my powermate to shuttle pro because of all the buttons, but i like the look of powermate though. if they make a metal shell on shuttle pro i'll get that for sure.
tashafa 7:52 PM - 30 August, 2004
its not an ok controller... this is how i have mine mapped and these are the problems associated with it:

turn left ... up button
turn right ... down button
click ...nothing
push and turn left ...load left deck
" " " right.... load right deck
long click ...tab (so i can tab to my crates)

issues - after loading a deck ,play that song for two minutes then when i need to load another track it loads another track as soon as i touch the knob while am simply trying to browse thru the listing without me presssing the knob... i.e. if i was trying to browse up the list it would sometimes load the left deck and down the list, load to right deck. then it would tab to crates section after this unintentional load...sometimes (most of the time) it did this sometimes it didnt....i think this could be fixed thru software...

another issue is for some reason changing the assigned functions required a restart of the computer to take effect except for the blinking light
djpetey 11:24 PM - 30 August, 2004
Ive only used my powermate for one club night so far, but I havent had any issues with it.... I do see how it could be easy to mess up and load a song on the wrong side though..... I am using the exact same settings as you are actually..... its nice to never have to touch my laptop, but I agree, its not a perfect solution
tashafa 5:18 PM - 31 August, 2004
are u on a mac? ...must be a windows thing then
djpetey 6:50 PM - 31 August, 2004
im on a pc