DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DiceTools 1.1.0 - now with LED Control

radikarl 11:35 AM - 3 May, 2011
nik39 and i have just released a new version of DiceTools.
It adds a new function:
LED control for those buttons that are not dynamically controlled by Scratch Live. (Shifted AutoLoop and Shifted LoopRoll pages)

DiceTools 1.1.0

Overview of functions

There is an overall of three tabs in DiceTools 1.1.0,
giving you more control of your Dicers.

1 - Check your connection

As the name says, this allows you to perform a simple test whether your Dicers are connected properly to your computer or not. If they are connected properly, you will see a rainbow effect on both of your Dicers while the test is running.

2 - Set Dicer to "Shift-Lock" Mode

This unlocks a function where you don't have to hold down the mode buttons to trigger your own midi-mapped functions in Scratch Live. You can configure the duration you have to press the mode button to activate the hold-mode. Each Dicer and each mode button can be configured seperately.

3 - Turn LEDs on Shift-Pages on

This allows you to turn the LEDs which are not dynamically controlled by ScratchLive permanently on. More precise, you can control the LEDs on the shifted LoopRoll pages and the shifted AutoLoop pages of both dicers.
Every button can be configured independently. Available Colors are "Off", "Red", "Red-orange", "Orange", "Orange-amber", "Amber", "Yellow", "Yellow-green", "Green".

Quick How-To

- Connect your Dicers to your computer
- Start the DiceTools by double clicking on the diceTools.jar file (it may be named differently, depending on whether you are using Windows and Macs)
- You will see an error message if the Dicers can not be found
- Please read the "About" information. Remeber: YOU ARE USING THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! By clicking on "Close" you accept the displayed terms of service.
- You can start testing the connection to your Dicer by clicking on "Start", stop testing by clicking on "Stop". This step can be skipped.
- In the Hold Modes Tab you can configure the duration you have to push each mode-button to enable the hold mode. Set it to 0 to disable the hold-mode
- In the Lights Tab you can configure the LEDs which are not dynamically controlled by ScratchLive. Chose the color for every button independently.
- Click on "Apply" to send the settings to the Dicer
- Click on "Exit" to close DiceTools

The Dicers will lose their settings whenever you disconnect the master Dicer. Make sure you repeat the procedure above to send the settings back to your Dicers. The settings will be stored on your computer, so whenever you start DiceTools it will recall the last used settings on that computer.

Disclaimer

This tools is not endorsed neither by Novation nor by Serato. You are using it at your own risk. If anything blows up, your hamster starts to get sick and/or your wife/husband leaves you - don't blame me!

This software is free software. Redistribution is not allowed. Please respect this and link to this forum if you want to provide a download link.

If you find this tool helpful please consider a donation using the link at the top of this forum. This will help me developing other features. :-)

Demo Video

Watchwww.youtube.com

Screenshots

forum.scratchtools.de
forum.scratchtools.de
forum.scratchtools.de

Download/Installation Notes

Requirements

To use DiceTools you need to have Java version 1.5 (at least) installed. Obviously you also need some Dicers.

Download the .jar file, and double click on it, once you have saved it. It will start the application.

Download Links

go to forum.scratchtools.de <- click
To download the file you have to be logged into the ScratchTools forum. Otherwise you will not see the download link.
michadj3001 3:13 PM - 3 May, 2011
Kurze Frage: Kann ich die auch so einstellen, dass die im Rhythmus der Musik blinken ??? :-)
Nein ,im Ernst... Super Arbeit...
Danke Euch beiden !!!
michadj3001 3:19 PM - 3 May, 2011
Oh, sorry, i did't see, that it wasn't the German discussion ...
BtW.. Thank you guys...
radikarl 3:25 PM - 3 May, 2011
no you can't make them blink to the beat.
this tool does not interact with ScratchLive in any way.
You can turn those LEDs on and off, which are not controlled by ScratchLive, in the color you like.

And you can of course still use the shift-lock function as you could already with DiceTools 1.0.0.
nik39 4:12 PM - 3 May, 2011
Quote:

That's something we could try for the weekend geek haqing session :D
Anu 6:35 PM - 3 May, 2011
This is good stuff ... Thx for updating the app....

I will defiantly donate next pay day......

Quote:
Quote:

Can be done if your using The Bridge,but would be nice to be able to do with out The Bridge.
radikarl 6:36 PM - 3 May, 2011
Quote:
Can be done if your using The Bridge,but would be nice to be able to do with out The Bridge.

jup i think this is what nik39 was thinking about.
knox001 7:37 PM - 3 May, 2011
really nice...big up for some great work!
BBN 9:53 PM - 3 May, 2011
Damn, I love you guys.

Saubere Arbeit.
SiRocket 12:45 AM - 5 May, 2011
AWESOME!!!! would be awesome if it saved your settings so when you re-opened the program you could just hit apply, also would be nice to have a check box for the waiver in the beginning (to not show this window again and that you approve).... other then that im happy with it. For those two features i would gladly donate!
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:32 AM - 5 May, 2011
It does both of those things for me in the new version.

Nik, I just made my donation. The LED option is amazing. I wanted this ability for a while. I feel like you just added two full pages to the Dicers. They were always there but without hold mode and LEDs I never used them.

?...will this work with the 68 and 4 Dicers?
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:33 AM - 5 May, 2011
oh and THANK YOU!!!
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:18 AM - 5 May, 2011
www.facebook.com

I think I'll finally remember what I assigned on those extra pages now.
nik39 6:24 AM - 5 May, 2011
Thanks for all the support guys :)

Quote:
AWESOME!!!! would be awesome if it saved your settings so when you re-opened the program you could just hit apply

That's how it is designed to work.

Quote:
also would be nice to have a check box for the waiver in the beginning (to not show this window again and that you approve)

That's how it is designed to work... it should only show the message once!

Doesn't it work this way for you?
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:31 AM - 5 May, 2011
is there any way to make a script that would detect the Dicer as soon as it is plugged in and automatically upload the settings?
nik39 6:50 AM - 5 May, 2011
Not sure what you mean. The app doesn't start w/o the Dicers attached. So you can only run it when the Dicers are attached.

Do you mean that it should automatically send the settings when starting the app? I am not sure if I like an auto send.

We could make it optionally.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:55 AM - 5 May, 2011
I was thinking more that the program would start up when the dicer is plugged in, especially since I can't put a java icon in the dock.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:56 AM - 5 May, 2011
optional autoload would be cool too.
nik39 7:36 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
I was thinking more that the program would start up when the dicer is plugged in, especially since I can't put a java icon in the dock.

Sorry, that won't work with a lot of trickery.

Didn't know you can't drop a Java app into the dock. We can try to creat an app icon which can be dropped to the dock.

Radikarl, any idea?
SiRocket 8:09 AM - 5 May, 2011
dope!!!! nik just realized that.... thank you... donation coming right now :) SWEAR by this program, instant doubles, track load, loop toggle, and efx toggle (for echo)... :)
SiRocket 8:13 AM - 5 May, 2011
just donated from "Ricky"..... thank you again! people are totally sleeping on this app.
SiRocket 8:13 AM - 5 May, 2011
just donated from "Ricky"..... thank you again! people are totally sleeping on this app.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:22 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:

I was totally sleeping on this....
radikarl 8:48 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
Didn't know you can't drop a Java app into the dock. We can try to creat an app icon which can be dropped to the dock.

Radikarl, any idea?

nik, you have a PM
radikarl 8:57 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
AWESOME!!!! would be awesome if it saved your settings so when you re-opened the program you could just hit apply

i just realised everyone only watches howto videos for the first minute.
i even do it myself that way. then i instantly try it w/o watching the rest.
look: (click on the link, not on the "view" button)
Watchwww.youtube.com
nik39 10:35 AM - 5 May, 2011
Yeah, the tut video needs to be shortened ;)
nik39 10:35 AM - 5 May, 2011
Quote:
nik, you have a PM

Who me? ...
WarpNote 9:57 AM - 6 May, 2011
Looks VERY nice!
About time I ordered a pair of these...
nik39 7:32 PM - 9 May, 2011
Thanks to skratchworx for covering the DiceTools

www.skratchworx.com

:)
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 10:16 PM - 22 May, 2011
First of all, well done fellas. I'm loving the added functionality.

I feel damned lucky to be able to say this, but the fact is, I've got so many other controllers that I haven't yet found a need for the added pages, so it occured to me map an additional cue point page so I can have coloured cues instead of them all being red.

Which naturally led me to wonder how possible it might be to have it so that the lights automatically corresponded to the cue colours I set in SSL? Also to have the lights light up only if there's actually a cue point already set (like the default cue page).

Even if it could only do red, yellow and green, it would still take it from what is essentially a nice gimmick (gimmick as in 'how I'm using it', not the tool itself) to a really useful and functional feature.

I know it wouldn't be easy, nor perhaps even possible without Serato's cooperation and I can already see people thinking it would be a waste of the additional banks, seeing as there are already two dedicated to cue points. But nevertheless, like the hold-lock feature itself, I personally would like to be able to do it and I can't help feeling that this should have been included as standard in the original spec/release.

In fact, I realise that the best people to implement this would be Novation/Serato/Ean Golden, but since they didn't have the foresight to include the features you guys have given us, I have my doubts.

I hear there's a Dicer v2 in the works...my guess is they'll include all the abilities of dicetools in it. If not, they ought to.... and maybe cut you guys a slice of the action while they're at it.

Anyway, I can't help being curious. Had to ask. Thoughts?
nik39 10:22 PM - 22 May, 2011
Hey Ren, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this is not possible from our end without some serious hacking, which we should not do ;) Let Serato know about your suggestions in the Feature Suggestions area :)
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 12:41 AM - 23 May, 2011
Hmm, I hate being cynical, but are you sure the dev team still take notice of what gets posted there? In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if their competitors took more notice of the thread then they do. With more and more of them introducing features Serato users have been requesting for years, it certainly seems like it.

I haven't lost faith yet though, so yeah, I probably will. Just wanted to throw it out there more than anything else. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been thinking the same thing.

Cheers
nik39 8:54 AM - 23 May, 2011
Haha, you might be right. But I assume you will get more attention than if you post in this thread here ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:39 AM - 24 May, 2011
Can't wait to test DiceTools on these babies.

www.djtechtools.com
fcprod1 12:57 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:

www.djtechtools.com

+1
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:02 AM - 24 May, 2011
How does dicetools work with multiple pairs connected? I've been planning on getting an extra set to use with a 3rd deck and SL-3
nik39 1:19 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
How does dicetools work with multiple pairs connected? I've been planning on getting an extra set to use with a 3rd deck and SL-3

We haven't implemented supporting a dual Dicer-pair setup because we thought that would be a very exotic setup.

Not sure how many people will actually use a dual Dicer-pair setup.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:50 AM - 24 May, 2011
2nd Dicer set

Left=Deck 3
Right=Deck 4

if you have SL3 only plug in half of the 2nd set. If you have SL4 or 68 use both.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:52 AM - 24 May, 2011
there is only ever going to be 2 sets plugged in. So it's not like there are too many combos.
radikarl 5:54 AM - 24 May, 2011
actually we were already quite impressed when we found out that you can use four dicers for four decks on the natively supported controls. then we looked at mapping different things to the various shift pages. that worked as well - but only as long as we didn't save and reload the XML or restart SSL.

the problem with two pairs of dicers is that even though the native pages work for four decks, the mappable shift pages don't. if you map different things on master dicer a and master dicer b, then after restarting SSL only what you have mapped last will remain since they obviously use the same midi notes. I wonder how Serato got the native part to work for two pairs, but i assume they do it via some hardware ID in addition to the midi notes.

as a result, using more than the shift pages of one dicer-pair is not functional at the moment. since you can not distinguish between two pairs of dicers in your midi XML.
as long as this is true, there is no reason for us to implement dicetools for two pairs of dicers.

you can cosign my help request here : serato.com if you want ;-)
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:25 AM - 24 May, 2011
co-signed
nik39 10:55 AM - 24 May, 2011
Uhmm, what Karl said ;)
radikarl 1:37 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:

www.djtechtools.com

just ordered as well...
i'm curious which page will have what color in SSL and which colors will be available for shift pages.
another reason for the new DiceTools 1.1.0 ;-)
n:deuce 2:31 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:

www.djtechtools.com

dem are purty!
nik39 3:40 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.djtechtools.com

dem are purty!

Ordered a pair as well.

I hope the new colors are easier to distinguish. Whoooot :)

DiceTools 1.2.0 on the way ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:44 PM - 24 May, 2011
nice!

that description on the page for those says

"Limited edition (only 50 made in each color)"

makes me think more colors might show up.
nik39 6:46 PM - 24 May, 2011
Yeah, sounds like.
nik39 6:46 PM - 24 May, 2011
Actually I don't want the white. Black is fine. It's just those damned LED colors which I don't like on the OG version.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:49 PM - 24 May, 2011
I will immediately be switching guts with my black pair. I've already opened them up once to see how hard it would be to change the LED colors. About 30 seconds later, I closed them back up again.
nik39 6:52 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
I will immediately be switching guts with my black pair.

That's a good idea. Haven't thought about it.

How difficult is it to open them? Are there screws or do you have to forcefully break them open?
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:55 PM - 24 May, 2011
3 Screws, it's easy

now I have to get some blue LEDs in my 57
nik39 7:00 PM - 24 May, 2011
Aww.. don't put a bug in my ear...
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:04 PM - 24 May, 2011
I already got Rane tech support cringing with that idea.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:07 PM - 24 May, 2011
over on DJTT forums there was a vote for custom Dicer color and interestingly enough, Silver won over white.

www.djtechtools.com
nik39 7:20 PM - 24 May, 2011
With a whopping number of 21 votes in total ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:26 PM - 24 May, 2011
LOL I noticed that too.

I'm curious if these Dicer guts are custom built or modified.
WarpNote 8:28 AM - 25 May, 2011
I'll have any color as long as its black ;D
WarpNote 3:11 PM - 3 June, 2011
Picked them up today at last.
The light function is real handy.
Thanks for a great tool nik & karl!
Donation in :D
DJ DuoMaxwell 3:43 PM - 6 June, 2011
Quote:
Picked them up today at last.
The light function is real handy.
Thanks for a great tool nik & karl!
Donation in :D

+1, works great I'll drop a donation 1st chance I get.
nik39 4:31 PM - 6 June, 2011
Thanks for all the love :)
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:44 PM - 6 June, 2011
where are them white dicers at? didn't realize they had to print the circuit boards from scratch....
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 6 June, 2011
Quote:
where are them white dicers at? didn't realize they had to print the circuit boards from scratch....

they make skins for them know dont they
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:10 PM - 6 June, 2011
Jared can skin them. I want the Blue LEDs.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:10 PM - 6 June, 2011
^12inchskinz.com
Free Man 5:38 PM - 6 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

That would be awesome
geeunot 1:40 AM - 7 June, 2011
yeah they havent shipped my whiter dicers yet! its been a while now...wassup?
Kepik 5:08 PM - 7 June, 2011
Quote:
yeah they havent shipped my whiter dicers yet! its been a while now...wassup?

I just called DJTechTools yesterday and they told me it should be shipping this week. Did all of you get an email status saying "Assembly" from them, after you bought it?
nik39 5:45 PM - 7 June, 2011
Nope, just got an order confirmation.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:01 PM - 7 June, 2011
just got my shipping notification.

can't wait to disassemble!!
Kepik 9:11 PM - 7 June, 2011
Same here! Hope to get them tomorrow since I'm in the city right next to them.
dreamkast 11:14 PM - 7 June, 2011
Anyway to make Dicers trigger 57 effects? Sick of pushing those little buttons to activate the echo which half the time don't work.
Kepik 11:23 PM - 7 June, 2011
Quote:
Anyway to make Dicers trigger 57 effects? Sick of pushing those little buttons to activate the echo which half the time don't work.

If you're talking about the hardware based effects. No they are not MIDI mappable. only the Scratch Live software effects are.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:38 PM - 9 June, 2011
Kepik, did you get them yet?
Kepik 7:41 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
Kepik, did you get them yet?

Got them just today! I'll go snap up shots in action, using DiceTools with LED Control!
Kepik 11:01 PM - 9 June, 2011
Picture will various LED colors

twitpic.com

Looks like Red -> Blue
Red-Orange -> Purple
Orange -> Magenta
Yellow -> Hot Pink
Yellow-Green -> Amaranth (had to wiki that :P)
Green -> Red

Those are the most notable color differences. Orange-Amber looks same as Orange
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:51 PM - 10 June, 2011
yfrog.com

loving them so far

except.....

I'm used to red lights being Cue Points and now they are loop roll. May be hard to go back and forth...
nik39 9:54 PM - 10 June, 2011
... I want..
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:56 PM - 10 June, 2011
Dicer V.2 needs to have RGB LEDs so we can just program whatever color we want.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:57 PM - 10 June, 2011
Quote:
Dicer V.2 needs to have RGB LEDs so we can just program whatever color we want.

THIIIIISSS!!!!!!
Kepik 10:30 PM - 10 June, 2011
Quote:
yfrog.com

loving them so far

except.....

I'm used to red lights being Cue Points and now they are loop roll. May be hard to go back and forth...

agreed! Thus, I decided to use Hold-Mode on Loop Roll and modify the colors!
fcprod1 12:32 AM - 11 June, 2011
that would be sooooo nice!

anyone heard if the new dicers with a knob are going to be made?
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:00 AM - 11 June, 2011
the Knicer....nothing yet
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:46 PM - 11 June, 2011
this is how I'm rolling

www.facebook.com
Free Man 2:25 AM - 12 June, 2011
Quote:
this is how I'm rolling

www.facebook.com

that's exactly what i want!
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:45 AM - 12 June, 2011
If you can find the right LEDs and solder microscopic welds, it can be done.
radikarl 9:51 AM - 12 June, 2011
i think you would more likely burn the circuit board with your soldering stick while loosening the old ones
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:13 AM - 12 June, 2011
yeah, that's why I happily paid djtechtools a $70 premium for some blue lights.

;-)

Hey DiceTools gurus....

would it be possible to switch colors on the main banks? For instance...these new LE Dicers have Red as bank 2 instead of 1. Would it be possible to switch the colors of bank one with bank two. That way we can match these new Dicers to the old ones. Some people may even want to switch around their stock colors if this is possible.
DJ Sniffles 10:35 AM - 12 June, 2011
Yup! I'll use the keyboard and hit buttons! Thanks!!!! But no thanks!
radikarl 11:24 AM - 12 June, 2011
since the main banks are dynamically controlled by SSL,
you could do this, but it would reverse as soon as you use them in SSL

for instance: once you load a new track, the cue point page is reloaded and would be in the original color again

once you play a loop roll or auto loop it would fall back to the orignal color
radikarl 11:27 AM - 12 June, 2011
btw dub, what is the third color on the new white dicers?

old ones have red, green, and yellow plus the mixed colors.
do they have 3 LEDS to achieve this or two? (i assume 3)

new ones have red, blue and?
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:44 PM - 12 June, 2011
Yellow is just a mix of green and red.

These new ones mix red and blue into pink. Purple can be achieved as well
geeunot 9:10 AM - 14 June, 2011
so u paid $250 total for your new dicers dub?
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:42 AM - 15 June, 2011
no, $150

I was already in the market for a second pair which I can pick up for $80, but for an extra $70 I got blue lights.

The excitement has already faded though, now I want blue lights in my 57!
WarpNote 7:52 AM - 15 June, 2011
Hey Dice Gurus, anyone thought about this issue yet? -> serato.com
Deck foucs for the dicers just like the shortcut keys (and for HC1000S)
geeunot 9:12 PM - 18 June, 2011
man i havent gotten mine yet. wtf. i just sent em an email.
geeunot 1:34 AM - 21 June, 2011
turns out they sent it to the wrong address. Fremont, instead of San Jose.
Free Man 5:20 PM - 21 June, 2011
Quote:
turns out they sent it to the wrong address. Fremont, instead of San Jose.

I miss the bay area... grew up in san jose...
radikarl 6:46 AM - 22 June, 2011
Quote:

actually you can.

BUT - MacOS treats jar files as archives, thus as folders.

=> you can put it in the area on the very left where your folders and trash bin reside.
WarpNote 7:35 AM - 22 June, 2011
Thanks for that tip radikarl! Ive kept it in the left finder column (along with a python script),
thats about to change... kewl!
SiRocket 9:44 AM - 22 June, 2011
awesome point radikarl!
nik39 9:51 AM - 22 June, 2011
Look at that.. radikarl is a TechMate now... Congrats :)
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:10 PM - 7 July, 2011
RGB LEDs in Midi Controllers

lividinstruments.com

I want Dicer RGB
uperkut94 10:56 PM - 31 July, 2011
When I run "Dicetools_windows", it tell me he couldn't find dicer device and may be an application is accesing them but I have no application which is open and my dicer are plugged.

thank you.
nik39 7:52 AM - 4 August, 2011
Which windows version are you using? Can you start a new thread in the DiceTools forum?

Thanks.
WarpNote 11:56 AM - 15 August, 2011
Don't know If already suggested, or even possible:
How about a backlit function, like the Sixty Eight buttons? A backlit dimmer would be best way to implement it IMHO.

I wish Rane/Serato would make a dimmer instead of the on/off setting for Sixty Eight too, hint hint,
if anybody is reading... ;-)
Dj Wunder 9:56 AM - 27 August, 2011
Is there any way to map a function to the page keys? Right now I have shifted page 2 and 3 mapped to ultraknob and superknob fx. If long pressing the page shift buttons (entering shift lock mode) could actually switch djfx to ultra or super mode that would be the ish
Dj Wunder 10:32 AM - 12 September, 2011
Is there a way to set the LEDs to chase mode while not using the dicers or on a specific page?
nik39 10:52 AM - 12 September, 2011
Nope.
radikarl 11:02 AM - 12 September, 2011
Quote:
Is there any way to map a function to the page keys? Right now I have shifted page 2 and 3 mapped to ultraknob and superknob fx. If long pressing the page shift buttons (entering shift lock mode) could actually switch djfx to ultra or super mode that would be the ish

yes but it would not only send when entering shift mode but also when entering the unshifted mode.
radikarl 11:03 AM - 12 September, 2011
i.e. not only "if long pressing" but on any pressure.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:04 PM - 12 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yes but it would not only send when entering shift mode but also when entering the unshifted mode.

That would be cool if you had it open/close certain panels like the sp6 or DJFX
DJ Super Mario 4:44 PM - 27 September, 2011
So have tried to register on Scratchtools site (twice) so I can download and test, however I have not received the activation email. Already checked spam folder/settings and no such luck. Any insight on this radikarl or nik?
nik39 11:55 AM - 10 November, 2011
Bump
SiRocket 8:53 PM - 10 November, 2011
ill give it another bump for an awesome program! anything new on the horizon for this or other projects nik?
nik39 10:37 AM - 12 November, 2011
I'd like to... but lack of time :-/
SiRocket 11:07 PM - 12 November, 2011
i agree with you on that! :)
DJPhilgood 9:58 AM - 28 December, 2011
Im having a problem getting the dicetools program to start, can anyone help i really want to use this tool. I downloaded the windows .jar file from the website as instructed then doubled clicked the file to start the program, i recieved a box asking me to "use the web to find an approptiate program to open file". I have now assumed that being a .jar file i have associated it with the "java" program & now when i double click the dicetools.jar icon i just get what looks like a command prompt box for a milli second & nothing after that, the program is just not opening or starting, any info on this matter would be great, thanks
radikarl 10:28 AM - 28 December, 2011
install the latest JRE from www.java.com,
then double click should work
radikarl 10:35 AM - 28 December, 2011
if double click still does not work after installing the latst java runtime environment, then you might be mising the PATH variable in your windows environment.

easiest way is then to install the latest JDK instead of JRE, as this also automatically sets the system variables if i remember correct.

if that still does not help, make a new textfile with notepad,
copy and change this to your need:
Quote:

@echo off
java -jar C:\path\to\my\file\dicetools.jar

and save as e.g."dicetoolstarter.BAT" (NOT ".txt") on your desktop.
double clicking it should start dicetools
DJPhilgood 10:50 AM - 28 December, 2011
sorry but both dont seem to work. i cant install the latest jdk because im running vista 32 not 64. i saved the notepad as u said but double clicking on it results in the split second command promp again, still wont start
radikarl 11:25 AM - 28 December, 2011
Quote:
i cant install the latest jdk because im running vista 32 not 64

then get the JDK for 32 bit windows

www.oracle.com
accept the agreement, then click on
jdk-6u30-windows-i586.exe
(second from the bottom in the list)
DJPhilgood 11:46 AM - 28 December, 2011
No still not working, do i need to open dicetools with the jdk version?
radikarl 11:51 AM - 28 December, 2011
when you have java installed properly it should just work with double click on the jar file
DJPhilgood 11:53 AM - 28 December, 2011
i have installed the latest versions of both javas you have specified & double clicked the jar file & it is not opening the program. it seems like i am missing something completely here
DJPhilgood 12:00 PM - 28 December, 2011
the dicetools jar file has a coffe cup symbol on it is that correct? it is named "dicetools_windows" is that correct? do i hav to associate it with the java program for it to run? is there something im missing?
DJPhilgood 7:38 PM - 28 December, 2011
?
SiRocket 7:56 PM - 28 December, 2011
i think a little patience here will work better.... expecting a response from someone in a few hour turn around is a little bossy don't you think?
SiRocket 7:56 PM - 28 December, 2011
hours*
DJPhilgood 7:59 PM - 28 December, 2011
sorry didnt realise, i was talking back & forth earlier, just frustrating me as i dont know what is wrong...
radikarl 8:14 PM - 28 December, 2011
click Start, execute, type "cmd", enter

Type "java -version"
enter

what du you see now?
DJPhilgood 9:13 PM - 28 December, 2011
java version 1.6.0_30
java (tm) se runtime enviroment (build 1.6.0_30-b12)
java hotspot (tm) client vm (build 20.5-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
DJPhilgood 9:13 PM - 28 December, 2011
i believe its the right version
DJPhilgood 10:15 PM - 28 December, 2011
problem fixed it looked the .jar association had been hijacked by another program on my system. I used a program called "Jarfix" which sorted it out

johann.loefflmann.net
nik39 9:21 PM - 29 December, 2011
Thanks for the link, Phil!
SiRocket 9:03 AM - 9 February, 2012
nik!!! i got Chris Kilmore from the US Band Incubus onto Dicetools back in January... you can spot his custom color setup in this video at the 7:02 mark :) --> Watchwww.youtube.com
WarpNote 9:15 AM - 9 February, 2012
NICE!
anthracite98 12:40 AM - 10 February, 2012
oooooh those decks are sick!!! Custom dicer color is cool too!
freshtodeath 5:02 PM - 11 February, 2012
I loose the CUE (red) LEDS when I use Dicetools. I also can't map. The other pages work (Loop Roll, Autoloop).

Anyone know what might be wrong?
geeunot 11:21 PM - 11 February, 2012
@sirocket wow thats dope. the dicers are built into it.
radikarl 11:23 PM - 11 February, 2012
@freshtodeath does this only happen when you use DiceTools?
Trinicapone 12:19 PM - 22 February, 2012
hot!
geeunot 11:25 AM - 28 February, 2012
Just donated! You should have received a payment from "Michael"
nik39 11:35 AM - 28 February, 2012
Thanks Michael :)
Dj K.Smith 8:20 PM - 2 April, 2012
Quote:
Thank you for your ScratchTools donation! :-) We appreciate your support.

Payment Details

Name: Kerry Smith
Item: Donation for ScratchTools - the ultimate ScratchLIVE Crate Editor ;)
Amount: 25.00 (USD)
Email: djksmith@gmail.com

Donation Sent...
SiRocket 6:38 AM - 3 April, 2012
awww yeah! welcome kerry!
Dj K.Smith 3:20 PM - 3 April, 2012
Waiting on my tools and email confirmation kid...
djaction 11:29 PM - 21 April, 2012
i made an account on the forum but it wont let me login? so i cant download it :(
nik39 12:04 PM - 22 April, 2012
did you check the spam folder?
djaction 6:43 PM - 22 April, 2012
Quote:
did you check the spam folder?

i received a confirmation email and clicked the link.. it said my account was activated but i cant login to the forum.. says bad password or account not active.. bizzare
nik39 6:47 PM - 22 April, 2012
Send me a PM with your Email address.
echa1945mf 2:44 AM - 5 May, 2012
im confused , everytime i use this my dicer stays in hold modes
DJ Wonder - Hardtime Productions 9:10 PM - 1 January, 2013
Yeah, if we using this removes the need to press and hold the mode button, how then do we access the mods?
Niro 2:45 AM - 5 February, 2013
Used the dice tools this weekend, worked like a charm. Thanks Nik
SeriousCyrus 12:57 PM - 1 June, 2013
Just got this and made my dicers useful again after getting a sixty two. Works brilliantly, thanks!
nik39 10:43 PM - 1 June, 2013
:)
DJ Matty Stiles 7:58 AM - 2 June, 2013
yall seen Jazzy Jeff's Blue dicers? Did Novation do that for him?
nik39 8:53 AM - 2 June, 2013
Pics?
DJ Matty Stiles 9:20 AM - 2 June, 2013
Jensen Määäm 11:00 AM - 2 June, 2013

Those are the white ones, not blue! They come with different LED colours as well. DJ Techtools made them and sold them when the dicers where released. I forgot how many they sold, was it 50 sets or was it 150 sets?
DJ Matty Stiles 11:18 AM - 2 June, 2013
yeah I meant blue as in the LED colour
nik39 1:07 PM - 2 June, 2013
Limited set. Got one too ;) i dislike the original LED colors. These are much better.
WarpNote 10:01 PM - 2 June, 2013
So JJ was sponsored by Crane but still use an uberstand?
phatbob 11:26 PM - 2 June, 2013
Pretty sure Jeff never endorsed Crane. There was a video of him being shown the dual leg thing (which never got released), but that's it.
DJ Matty Stiles 7:41 AM - 3 June, 2013
^centerstage?
Jensen Määäm 8:26 AM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
^centerstage?

Of couse, what else could it be?
Here you are: Watchwww.youtube.com
WarpNote 6:43 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
Pretty sure Jeff never endorsed Crane. There was a video of him being shown the dual leg thing (which never got released), but that's it.

He was given a custom lazer etched logo stand, and I think he more or less convinced them to make the center stage feet prototype. You might be right about endorsement though.
nik39 6:03 PM - 26 June, 2013
Those suffering from a nasty bug where the GUI does not fire up completely, please install this update from Apple:

support.apple.com

Apple has screwed up the Java update.
Evan Ruga 4:18 AM - 27 June, 2013
Can you still change the hold mode colors without turning hold mode on? So if I hold the LR or AL buttons to access my mapped functions the buttons will light up custom colors but will revert back to standard when I release the mode button.
armed98 4:30 PM - 27 June, 2013
Dicetools stopped working after i updated my mac....Apple strikes again
armed98 4:59 PM - 27 June, 2013
@Nik39 I installed the update still no Dice, do you know of any other troubleshooting tips to get Dicetools to work again?
Quote:
Those suffering from a nasty bug where the GUI does not fire up completely, please install this update from Apple:

support.apple.com

Apple has screwed up the Java update.
nik39 7:48 PM - 27 June, 2013
Which update did you install?
armed98 3:00 AM - 28 June, 2013
I Installed the update in the link, I got to work after I un-installed the version of Java I had on my machine (version 7) so if anyone is having this issue un-install Java then install the update .Thanks again nik39!!!
Dj Owe 12:58 AM - 2 December, 2013
hi fam i am having a problem where my dicers are not saving the settings. so before i play i have to open up dice tools click apply and close every time i spin out.

is there any work around i can get for this please.
Dj Wunder 1:11 AM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:
hi fam i am having a problem where my dicers are not saving the settings. so before i play i have to open up dice tools click apply and close every time i spin out.

is there any work around i can get for this please.

I don't think that was ever a feature, I've always applied the settings before each gig

I have a question about Midi out in ssl 2.5 and custom dicer botton colors: when I midi assign something to the dicer, with midi output activated, the stock color of the dicer button comes back. Is this something that needs to be updated?
chokidj 11:44 PM - 14 December, 2013
How install .jar in mac??
Menace 9:22 PM - 5 February, 2014
Thanks for the good tool. I have 2 questions, though:

1. If I midi map "Sync" to a button why is the assigned LED always on even when "Sync" is turned off?

2. Is there no way to disable the Hold-Mode again to play with loops without touching the DiceTools?

I hope DiceTools can change this in a future update. If not it's still very useful.
Menace 9:38 PM - 5 February, 2014
Maybe I can answer it myself :-)

1. No, "this tool does not interact with ScratchLive in any way" … but I hope it will soon.

2. Yes, if I disconnect the dicers …. but it would be cool, if I press the mode buttons again for the determined time to switch back to loop mode.
nik39 8:43 AM - 6 February, 2014
Hey Dennis,

long time no hear. I thought you "finally switched to Traktor"? ;)

Quote:
1. No, "this tool does not interact with ScratchLive in any way" … but I hope it will soon.

Actually the reason is different. SDJ does not support any configurable MIDI output which you would need for output lighting. This is not a shortcome from DiceTools, it's a limitation of SDJ.

Quote:
2. Yes, if I disconnect the dicers …. but it would be cool, if I press the mode buttons again for the determined time to switch back to loop mode.

You're wrong again. Whatever you have set as a hold-mode-value... Hold that button for that period of time, and you will exit the hold mode. Then press that loop layer button shortly, and you're in the regular loop mode again.
Menace 2:22 PM - 6 February, 2014
Thanks, I have tried to press the loop layer button shortly but it didn't go back to the regular loop mode. I guess I must have done something wrong and I will try this again for sure since it should work like you have mentioned.

Thanks for the other info, too.

BTW, I returned to Serato and it's good to know that you still provide Serato users infos, help, support and an app like this ;-) Keep it up.
Dj Wunder 9:45 PM - 6 February, 2014
Is it possible to have the dicer buttons reflect the cue point colors and such?
SiRocket 10:32 PM - 6 February, 2014
RGB output would be slick! either way i love my dice tools!

Here is my studio version of my set from the Namm - Serato / Rane / Agiprodj / Stokyo Afterparty a few weeks ago…

You can see how i use dicetools for 30 minutes :)

--> Watchwww.youtube.com
Menace 10:22 PM - 8 February, 2014
I have managed to get it working. Thanks nik39. I have just changed the DiceTools' hold-mode value from 100ms to 300ms and now it's easy to return to the regular loop mode again. DiceTools is a great app.
A-Roq77 10:39 PM - 2 August, 2014
Hey Si Rocket, How do get them to change to blue
DJ GOODFOOT 10:44 PM - 2 August, 2014
Quote:
Is it possible to have the dicer buttons reflect the cue point colors and such?

+1 Great feature!!!!!!
djsmuggla 5:50 PM - 20 December, 2014
Is this working properly for you guys using the latest Serato DJ?

For me when i use this the shifted buttons only light up if there's nothing middi mapped to the button. The buttons 1,2,3 i've got mapped to turn the effects on/off & buttons 4,5 are blank on each dicer, but it's only buttons 4,5 that are lit. I've selected yellow for all 5 of the buttons.

Also it dosent save the settings. Every time i turn my pc off and back on, the dicers are back to default. (Without disconnecting them)

Anyone else having these probs?
radikarl 6:44 PM - 8 January, 2015
if you use the midi output feature of serato DJ 1.7.2, that will control the LEDs on its own.
radikarl 6:45 PM - 8 January, 2015
and reset them to OFF when the Serato DJ button is OFF.
djsmuggla 5:21 PM - 10 January, 2015
I got a weird problem when i use the output lighting built in serato with the dicers. When i trigger a button that ive mapped, i get the sound of a piano. The button works the effect turns on & the light comes on, but with the sound of hitting a key on a piano... wtf
Gldn 12:30 AM - 29 June, 2016
Where can i find this software??

Thanks
Gldn 12:30 AM - 29 June, 2016
Where can i find the software DiceTools 1.1.0?

Thanks
radikarl 8:38 AM - 2 August, 2016
since nik39 took his site down, I now host this on my page

radikarl.de/freecontent
Gldn 1:55 PM - 2 August, 2016
Thanks a lot. I was able to find it sifting through many Google results. Thanks though.