Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Option for Dicers (and HC1000S) to follow deck focus.

WarpNote 11:25 PM - 14 June, 2011
The deck focus (tilde key) is really handy for quickly switching keyboard shorcuts to the secondary decks and back to the primary, so why not have an option for the dicers to follow this as well? Very useful when
working with 4 virtual decks but only 2 turntables. (SL4/Sixty Eight)

And while you're at it, do it for the other native subcontroller, Denon HC1000S too?

I know, there is a workaround: Go into setup, change primary decks from 1+2 to 3+4, but this is akward at best. And the workaround only work for the dicers, not the HC1000S...
radikarl 9:36 AM - 15 June, 2011
you can midi map this "going from 1+2 to 3+4 in the setup".
radikarl 10:35 AM - 15 June, 2011
i think what would be more convenient with 4 decks but two turntables / dicers / cdjs only
would be instant doubles from everywhere to everywhere midi mappable
WarpNote 12:07 PM - 15 June, 2011
Absolutely agree on the instant double, still, its fairly easy to do this with the shortcut keys...

Often I would only have a drum loop going on the "non-turntable-deck" ie 3 or 4,
and setting a cue at the beginning of the loop is a quick way to get back in sync if it drifts slightly off...
I've basically mapped all the buttons on the dicer, and I would argue that midi mapping it still is a work-around, although a lot more elegant work-around.

IMO it would only make sense have the native controllers mirror what the short cut keys does?
At least with the HC1000S and somewhat was the dicers too, I think the main focus was the traditional 2 deck setup when designing the units. Now, with the rane 4 channel hardware options, I would argue it makes sense to evolve the functionality as well...?
WarpNote 9:50 PM - 20 June, 2011
Nobody else want this?
FYI, switching deck focus with the tilde key, will switch the cue buttons on the Sixty Eight to the secondary decks. So basically I'm just looking to have the same functions using the the dicers or HC1000S with the SL4 when I leave my Sixty Eight at home.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:39 AM - 21 June, 2011
yes, this should be streamlined.
radikarl 10:23 AM - 21 June, 2011
WarpNonte, you can also have two pairs of Dicers at the same time.
the first pair connected controls primary decks, the second pair connected controls secondary decks.
WarpNote 2:07 PM - 21 June, 2011
I know radikarl, and I think thats a great feature, but that would probably need 2 separate usb ports right?
Most of the places I play typically has 1 set of techs and another set of cjds. As long as I bring the Sixty Eight its no big deal, but it would sure be nice to travel light once a while. (ie just control vinyl & CD's, SL4, 1 set of dicers, mac, and no usb hub...)
radikarl 1:10 PM - 26 June, 2011
Quote:
you can midi map this "going from 1+2 to 3+4 in the setup".

actually you can not. i just checked
WarpNote 1:17 PM - 26 June, 2011
Even more useful to have this fixed then...
(at least with the SL4, on the Sixty Eight its a lot easier to work around...)
radikarl 1:23 PM - 26 June, 2011
you can use the shift pages on the dicers for now to control decks 3 and 4
(at least for 2/3s of their functions, since first shift page is already mapped)

If you use Dicetools, this is *almost* as good as the layer shift on the Sixty eight

but still, i agree and cosign your request
WarpNote 1:50 PM - 26 June, 2011
I really dig dicetools, and I put a donation in at nik's page the day I installed it :D

I've Mapped page 2 for emergency transport controls for each deck, and manual loop in/out,
mapped page 3 for library scroll, tab focus & load. (edited xml to have scroll on both sides..)
The dicetools light feature is really nice for this! Thanks again.

Now, about this feature request, I know there's a lot of ways of midi mapping around it, ('Ive got 4 different midicontrollers now) but, as the Dicer and the HC1000S are native supported by serato, it makes sense to have consistent behavior for all controllers. ie like the Sixty Eight follows deck focus...

Sort of baffled that not "everyone" is jumping on this request,
but maybe there isn't that many DJs playing 4 decks in SSL ?
BleedR 12:37 AM - 20 June, 2012
Sorry to dig this out, but it seems like nothing happened since then :/?

I'm +1 to add some support for channel 3&4!
WarpNote 5:11 AM - 20 June, 2012
Thanks for digging out!
Was thinking about this issue again while trying out the 2.4.2 beta yesterday. I mean, the way it works on the 68 is really nice. Maybe some mods could share insight to if deck focus is doable for the HC1000S and the Dicers ?
DJ TeeOh 1:02 PM - 29 June, 2012
Great idea. It was actually Ean Golden from DJTechtools who worked with Novation to create the dicers. I've spoken to him about possible remaking of the dicers and providing and OPEN midi function so users can completely customize them. Unfortunately, Novation isn't looking at producing things like that unless there is a significant audience for it. So we all need to contact Ean and Novation with ideas.

My idea was to combined 4 dicers. One set in the adapter spot and one just below the tonearm. You could use 2 sets of regular dicers to do just about anything, EXCEPT regulate the effects. My other idea was to take a set of dicers and replace the pads with rotary knobs. This could be used for scrolling, loading, effects, etc.
DJMINGIA 2:13 PM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:
but maybe there isn't that many DJs playing 4 decks in SSL ?

I have the SL 4 and do play 4 decks. It would be nice if I was able to FULLY control decks 3 + 4 with MIDI the same way as decks 1 + 2 without having to MIDI map and have LED feedback. I mean really, if you're gonna offer 4 decks, make them all have the same ability to be controlled natively. 4500 only works on decks 1 + 2 natively and since 2.0, you can't even MIDI map a 4500 anymore (Well technically, if you have 3rd party software, but again, no LEWD feedback). Dicers can be MIDI mapped to decks 3 + 4, but not natively, and no LED feedback. Denon 1000's only on decks 1 + 2.

The Pioneer MIDI unit for Serato DJ is OK for 4 decks, but only 2 platters controlling 4 decks, and you have "shift" click to switch what was controlling deck 2 to now control deck 4 (Or 1 for deck 3).

I guess maybe there really isn't enough DJ's out there who are spinning 3-4 decks and want true, 3-4 deck, independent control at the same time, or at least the ability to slam into deck 4 without having to shift click from one deck to another. Traditional, true independent 4 deck MIDI control would be great.

This post isn't meant to slam Rane/Serato. You guys make great products. Just frustrating to spend all this money and not get true 4 deck designs.
WarpNote 2:20 PM - 14 February, 2013
Well said Mingia.

I picked up the SX myself, as its great fun for home practice,
while my techs & CDJs are packed up in flight cases.

I prefer the SSL with SL4/68 though...
J.J. 3:13 AM - 15 February, 2013
Quote:
4500 only works on decks 1 + 2 natively and since 2.0, you can't even MIDI map a 4500 anymore (Well technically, if you have 3rd party software, but again, no LEWD feedback).

There wasn't enough DJ's using Ableton + SSL, but that didn't stop Serato. It would be great for 4 deck support. I wasn't aware Pioneer was able to switch decks. What model? Maybe we can look at the XML and use it for other controllers.

I was able to get the LED's for the DN-HC4500 and custom map the 4500.
www.poweronplay.com

The trick is routing the MIDI In from the 4500 and leaving the MIDI Out alone. I'm sure this would work on the Dicers, but it's frustrating starting another software before you boot SSL.

RPM allows me to hit a button on the DN-S3700 and it will cycle through the unused software decks. Plus the platter works great in MIDI, not Hybrid.
DJMINGIA 4:04 AM - 15 February, 2013
Quote:
I wasn't aware Pioneer was able to switch decks. What model? Maybe we can look at the XML and use it for other controllers.

The DDJ-SX allows four decks with Serato DJ, but you have to toggle between 1 + 3 or 2 + 4 on each respective side of the controller. You don't have true 4 deck independent control at the same time.