DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Bridge "Mixtape" Fader Automation w/DJM-700 via Midi

Dj JesC 1:55 AM - 23 April, 2011
Hey guys I've been working on this for about 2 weeks. I got SSL and Live to record Mixtapes similar to a Rane 57 & 68. All you need is a midi to usb (Roland UM-1) cable and a little mapping within Live. Basically what I get is all the EQ/Fader/BPM automation. It still has some bugs but im sure with some tweaking it will just get better. I posted the video to the link below.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Hope that Serato would let 3rd party mixers work with the Bridge to record this midi info.

Mod's can we close the thread below?

serato.com
phatbob 9:08 AM - 23 April, 2011
Dude that's awesome work. Can you please post a more detailed guide?
Dj JesC 1:56 AM - 24 April, 2011
yeah, ill put a step by step video on how to do it.
BleedR 10:23 AM - 29 April, 2011
Dude I can't see the video, cause it has some copyrighted material from SME and it's blocked here (in Germany)... can you reupload without audio or change something?!

Cheers!
Dj JesC 9:54 PM - 29 April, 2011
will do, i used a song from tribe called quest, go figure.
SchemeAlmighty 1:48 AM - 30 April, 2011
Hey Dj JesC great work.... have you any detailed information on how you routed this set up so we accomplish the same? I'm working with a DDM4000 and got a few things to work but still having trouble routing serato into ableton. Once again great work!
Mutis 10:09 PM - 30 April, 2011
Good work!
Steve E Wunda 2:35 AM - 15 May, 2011
Quote:

Any word on when this video might be released to the public?
SchemeAlmighty 10:58 PM - 15 May, 2011
Yes please...lol
Quote:
Quote:

Any word on when this video might be released to the public?
Dj JesC 2:27 AM - 17 May, 2011
Im working on a video showing step by step. I just wish I had more hours in the day.
SchemeAlmighty 3:06 AM - 17 May, 2011
JesC. Your work is highly appreciated and Very much appreciated. I didn't realize it was such a complex thing to route out. Take your time and thanks again. Cheers!
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:53 AM - 22 May, 2011
I use a 700 with SL3 too, waiting on your Step By Step video boss. Really need this to polish my mixes.
Dj.Mojo 1:58 PM - 25 May, 2011
Quote:
Dude I can't see the video, cause it has some copyrighted material from SME and it's blocked here (in Germany)... can you reupload without audio or change something?!

Cheers!

Just enter the Video URL in "hidemyass.com". Thank me later :-)
BleedR 12:07 AM - 26 May, 2011
Good idea Mojo :)

JesC you mind sharing the XML file, so we can take a look how it works and stuff?
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:38 PM - 7 June, 2011
Hello, what happened to this thread? Did y'all figure it out or what?

Quote:
Im working on a video showing step by step. I just wish I had more hours in the day.

JesC sir, did you post the video eventually?
Dj JesC 7:37 AM - 24 June, 2011
Sorry for the delay guys, had some personal heath problems that I need to tend to. Will post a video when Im back up 100%
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:49 AM - 24 June, 2011
@Jes C wish u a speedy recovery
BleedR 3:42 PM - 29 June, 2011
All the best dude!
SchemeAlmighty 11:07 PM - 26 July, 2011
Yawn... Great summer huh everyone?
Caliber 7:27 PM - 30 July, 2011
from what i can understand from the video. Jes C you mapped ableton live to your mixer with all the eqs, fader to djm-700 or 800. Ableton needs to be running so all automations can be saved. Then you started mixtape. After your finished recording with mixtape. You import the file into the ableton session that is running with all the automation.

Its just a theory, don't have my gear at the house right now to test it out
Caliber 7:30 PM - 30 July, 2011
Or there is some way to map all the eq and other functions and start mixtape at the same time. Damn I wish I had my gear home to try this out.

Get well soon JesC
Dj JesC 9:33 PM - 1 August, 2011
Hey guy Im back! Im going to upload the mapping for ableton so you guys can give a crack at it. The DJM-700 & 800 should send the same midi info. Any suggestions on where to upload too?
Steve E Wunda 10:25 PM - 1 August, 2011
What's up JesC, good to see you return. I would think that youtube would be fine.
SchemeAlmighty 12:14 AM - 2 August, 2011
Welcome back JesC, hope ur good man. Like Steve said YouTube should be good enough, if its under 10 mins. You know what would be great too, if you upload the mapping to like www.megaupload.com or something since its pretty easy to DL.

Once again, welcome back man :)
Dj JesC 12:20 AM - 2 August, 2011
Will do.
DJ Eazy B 7:15 PM - 5 August, 2011
Great stuff JesC. I was thinking you might have died on us!
SchemeAlmighty 10:40 PM - 5 August, 2011
God Forbid...
Dj JesC 9:52 PM - 8 August, 2011
Good News & Bad news...First the Bad...I sold my DJM-700 and got a Rane 57. Good news is I got a hold of a DJM-900 and i will be shooting a video showing how to use the bridge with a DJM series mixer. And I will post the als file with the settings.
DMAN192 9:10 AM - 11 August, 2011
hey JesC im a bit concern now........did you switch your mixer because it didnt work correctly with live....you did mention their were some bugs....were u not able to get it to work as you wanted and finally just gave in a got the ttm57??????? ive seen the djm900 work with live.....so i dont think its going to be the same as the djm 700 and 800, since the djm 900 is made to work with live since its a new product.....i love my djm 800 and i dont wanna let it go for the ttm57.......
SchemeAlmighty 12:39 PM - 11 August, 2011
Looking fwd to something soon :)
Dj JesC 1:28 AM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
hey JesC im a bit concern now........did you switch your mixer because it didnt work correctly with live....you did mention their were some bugs....were u not able to get it to work as you wanted and finally just gave in a got the ttm57??????? ive seen the djm900 work with live.....so i dont think its going to be the same as the djm 700 and 800, since the djm 900 is made to work with live since its a new product.....i love my djm 800 and i dont wanna let it go for the ttm57.......

mixtape automation midi info can be done with any mixer that spits out midi on the volume faders, eq, gain & crossfader. you just have to map it. which I will show in the video and I will also provide the ALS file for Ableton Live.

I sold my DJM-700 & got a 57 with not out of pocket cost. So it was a deal that I couldnt refuse.
DMAN192 5:11 AM - 12 August, 2011
ok kool sounds great......... so just to be clear you didnt have any problems with the djm 700 working with ableton and the serato(the bridge)??? you making want a 57 now and get rid of my djm 800..........if u didnt have no problems and it worked just like the 57 i wouldnt trade it.......plz let me know.....thanks...
DJ Eazy B 9:57 AM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
ok kool sounds great......... so just to be clear you didnt have any problems with the djm 700 working with ableton and the serato(the bridge)??? you making want a 57 now and get rid of my djm 800..........if u didnt have no problems and it worked just like the 57 i wouldnt trade it.......plz let me know.....thanks...

^^You are so anal^^
Dj JesC 8:54 PM - 12 August, 2011
the bridge works with fine with the DJM-700, I didnt want a DJM-800 cause I dont see myself dropping that type of cash on a mixer. The Rane 57 is a solid mixer and I make use off all the onboard mapping the 57 offers.

Video will come shortly.
DMAN192 10:59 PM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

^^You are so anal^^

.....im just asking questions....isnt that what forums about and interacting....im trying to gain knowledge here im not trying to be anal.......
SchemeAlmighty 6:21 AM - 16 August, 2011
play nice kiddies lol
Eskei83 10:11 AM - 21 August, 2011
how do you get the waves and the automation in sync ... do you start both recordings (ableton & mixtape) in the same time?
Code:E 3:48 AM - 24 August, 2011
when the tech guy has questions you know this might not be as easy as it looks.... really hope you post the ALS file somewhere soon :)
Eskei83 5:50 AM - 24 August, 2011
hehe :)

as far as I understand, he record a mixtape/als-file in ScratchLive without automation and record into ableton a 2nd als-file with the automation/midi-events.

After finishing you've to bring both together.

and it's not clear to me how he's doin it. because you it's not so easy to start two recordings in the same moment. is he recording the master output into the 2nd als-file as well to have a reference ?

and how is he getting the audio from the first mixtape recording in sync with the automation of the second recording.

I understand the way he has and it's great. But I think it's hard to bring both together. But maybe there's another trick :)
Eskei83 5:53 AM - 24 August, 2011
Typo :(

Quote:

I understand the way he has

I understand the idea he has ...
Code:E 10:22 PM - 24 August, 2011
what if you leave ableton open well recording, but before you start recording you load in you midi presets for the mixer controls?

I also own a M Audio X-Session Pro midi mixer, so i was thinking of recording a mixtape then opening the file in ableton and loading up some presets into the mixtape als file for control of the X-Session Pro , then recording the mix again well doing the mixer part of the work live then editing it.
Eskei83 5:38 AM - 25 August, 2011
good idea but the mixtape its not recorded into Live while it's open. the mixtape file is generated after saving.
SchemeAlmighty 11:49 PM - 3 September, 2011
Ableton is closed as mentioned by Eskei83. I got some of this to work with my DDM 4000 (Behringer) alone without serato, but cant seem to separate table A & B into their own channel without them bleeding over, as well as a few other things. I am looking to save the settings and import a serato mix w the DDM in Midi mode, in hopes that whatever midi was recorded by the serato file will be read in ableton with my saved settings.
SchemeAlmighty 11:51 PM - 3 September, 2011
Word... Even if its not totally correct we may be able to make changes ourselves and customize settings :)
Quote:
when the tech guy has questions you know this might not be as easy as it looks.... really hope you post the ALS file somewhere soon :)
SchemeAlmighty 11:55 PM - 3 September, 2011
Sorry Ableton Live is Open and recording all midi info as Serato is being run in the background as per his video.
DMAN192 4:11 PM - 4 September, 2011
The problem i have its the syncing.....i tried starting both recordings at the same time but no luck....it just doesn't seem to work......idk if it might be lagging or something...i have midi mapped the record and play in ableton to the same button i used in serato to record so it can start at the same time and no luck........
SchemeAlmighty 8:47 PM - 4 September, 2011
What I have done is keep ableton open while recording the serato set and sending all the midi notes to ableton, but my problem is I lose control of the actual fader cut off when actually making the mixtape because the mixer is being used as a midi device and the crossfader is useless unless i am listening to it thru say ableton and even then theres a lag as well and bleed from table one & two.

Like DMAN192 no luck...
DMAN192 4:11 PM - 5 September, 2011
Quote:
What I have done is keep ableton open while recording the serato set and sending all the midi notes to ableton, but my problem is I lose control of the actual fader cut off when actually making the mixtape because the mixer is being used as a midi device and the crossfader is useless unless i am listening to it thru say ableton and even then theres a lag as well and bleed from table one & two.

Like DMAN192 no luck...

to get the crossfader to work i believe you have to click the play and record button in ableton.....and there is a bleed on my crossfader aswell.....for example after i recorded my session i put both channels in abelton live an while they are playing i move the crossfader all the way to the righ and sound stops coming in...but i believe is because both channel are being output through one channel as oppose to two channels.........my biggest concern is the syncing.....i try to scratch and it sounds horrible when taken to abelton live.....i would like to see if he can scratch and record it..........going insane waiting for the video post by dj JeSc....... dieing to take my sessions to a next level.....
Steve E Wunda 3:12 AM - 7 October, 2011
How's that video coming along JesC? Any progress?
SchemeAlmighty 9:29 AM - 7 October, 2011
I gave up on this one lol good luck all
Eskei83 10:13 AM - 7 October, 2011
why do you need a video for. jus askin :) it's all explained.
Eskei83 10:18 AM - 7 October, 2011
midimap your mixer with the Ableton channels and record your audio output of your mixer in one Ableton channel.
record a the bridge set as well.
import the the bridge set into your Ableton recording. bring both recordings in sync.
copy the bridge audio into your Ableton automation recording and voila. You ready ...

if you don't know what I'm talking about: get a Ableton course ;)
DMAN192 2:51 PM - 7 October, 2011
the syncing part is my problem.........
Dj JesC 10:47 PM - 14 October, 2011
No luck on getting a DJM-700/800/900 mixer, the way I sync both recording was I mapped the record button on ableton live to fader stat button on the djm-700. I pressed the fader start button & the record button on SSL at the same time and I started recording my set.

If anyone in LA wants to meet up and have a DJM mixer ill show you how to do it and we can shoot a quick video.

Again Im really sorry for the delay, but I hardly have time to come on the boards.
SchemeAlmighty 11:27 PM - 14 October, 2011
Ah there you are! Hope all is well man. Totally understand the lack of time or video since u don't have a mixer anymore. The fact that u pointed out that you midi mapped the record buttons in both programs helps. Something so simple can sometimes be over looked when were frazzled w trying to make things work. Thanks for the insight!
Dj JesC 11:39 PM - 14 October, 2011
i only mapped fader start button. i hit the record button SSL manually. you just have to hit them at the same time. I didnt try mapping both to avoid problems with 2 programs getting midi msg from the same mixer.
Eskei83 8:53 AM - 16 October, 2011
why you guys don't record the audio in your Ableton automation set and when putting both recordings together you just match both audio tracks. that should be 100% accurate.
Dj JesC 4:58 PM - 18 October, 2011
Eskei that's what I'm doing in ableton.
Eskei83 12:24 AM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:
Eskei that's what I'm doing in ableton.

yes. That's how understand your setup. Just wondering why the other guys need a video to get it.
SchemeAlmighty 3:00 AM - 19 October, 2011
How the mixer was midi mapped file was set up was the key thing. I guess the video was only wanted because it was offered. It was the initial start for the post going to (video) as well as the mapping. I am not using the same mixer so the mapping was simply to see how the eq was set in ableton as well as xfader. I'm not too familiar with ableton so setting the xfader is where I ran into a problem because I lose xfader sound control when the mixer is mapped so I wanted to see how that was configured as well. The outputs etc. Thanks JesC for the attempt to share. Have a great eve everyone.
Eskei83 6:04 AM - 19 October, 2011
ah ok. Now I see your point as well :)
SchemeAlmighty 4:34 PM - 19 October, 2011
I like my DDM4000 but Im working on saving up for a TTM 57. The 68 would be ideal in terms of the options and buttons, since my DDM has 4 i/o's for extra lines and lots of other stuff I like to bring into the mix such as my mac etc... but that 68 is way out of the budget. I dont think thats going to be in reach anytime soon.
Serato needs to come up with a new bridge compatible mixer that is more realistic in terms of consumer reach (aka $$$) Lol
Code:E 6:07 PM - 19 October, 2011
why not just buy a sl4 for 4 channels and a djm900 or a cheap djm 800?
SchemeAlmighty 8:52 PM - 19 October, 2011
Lol probably because the word cheap doesnt apply to either product!
Code:E 9:34 PM - 19 October, 2011
I would call them cheap in comparison to other musical instrument. If you where a drummer wanting to buy a new kit you could spend $8000 - $12000. $1000 for an SL4 box and a djm800 for $1200 seems pretty good. and still far cheaper than a 68.
SchemeAlmighty 11:28 PM - 19 October, 2011
I think you'd have to re-read the posts to see what I'm driving at.
Thanks for the insight.
BleedR 12:32 PM - 3 April, 2012
ok guys, today i tried it and it seems to work, but I've some problem regarding my ableton lack of knowledge, cause I never used it that way...

so I have a few questions:
1. to what do you map the EQs? I tried to 3 EQs, but my problem is that I can't tell ableton that the position 0 on my knob = 0 db (i have min -26db and max 6db). How can I fix that, any idea? And an option to select what curve to use for line&crossfaders? i.e. linear or exponential or whatever?
2. the sound produced by the 2 EQs I'm using is quite different then the sound my DJM 800 produces, any preset that sounds similar?
3. Any idea how to make use of the gain knob?
4. Is it correct to put DECK A/B output to the input of my Ableton Audio 1/2 chanel and set Monitor to IN? Cause this way it's working for me, but I'm not sure if it's the right one!

Tnx & Cheers
SchemeAlmighty 12:47 PM - 3 April, 2012
I actually gave up on this entirely and found some guy I could hustle for the 68, got him down to $900. This would be nice to have for my other set up tho... if anything ever comes of it, I'll be interested for my spare Serato set up.
BleedR 1:35 PM - 3 April, 2012
well i figured some stuff out:

"You can most definitely map the EQ's and up-faders on the 800 in ableton. Although I would recommend using the EQ 8 as opposed to the EQ 3 because the EQ 3's zero values are not at 12 o'clock like they are on most hardware mixers, which i think is a major oversight on ableton's part because ive never found a good way to map the EQ 3 to a 12 o' clock notched MIDI pot and have it function correctly.

To do it with the EQ3 w/ knobs @ 12o'clock just add the utility plugin BEFORE the EQ3 and bring the UTILITY to +14db, Now Take your EQ3 Knob & bring them to the center position (-14db)

That's it! "
SchemeAlmighty 1:47 PM - 3 April, 2012
Right, I managed to do that with the DDM4000 as well as the fader responding but couldnt manage the left and right table to keep from bleeding into one another. Pretty frustrating lol
Dj JesC 12:24 AM - 4 April, 2012
hey guys, sorry about the lack of video but getting a hold of a DJM-700 or up mixer is getting tough. I reached out to Pioneer and didnt get a response on getting a demo unit to record the video.

in regards to the question above about the eq, I just dropped a 3-band eq. and it worked just fine.
BleedR 10:51 AM - 5 April, 2012
I was thinking of doing a video. Anyway, can you tell me the configurations of the EQ then? Are you using the gain?
For me the EQs and the Gain are pretty important things, as this makes a big difference in the sound.
BleedR 10:52 AM - 5 April, 2012
would also love to use the flanger and stuff btw, but isn'T that important!
BleedR 10:57 AM - 5 April, 2012
@JesC: looking at your video I just noticed that you use EQ3 too, but they are not set up properly.. you have to have your knobs on a different position to be at 0 and stuff, that's not the real thing...
BleedR 11:28 AM - 5 April, 2012
I found something on abletons forums:

3 Band EQ's:

DJM low: 70hz
DJM mid: 1000hz
DJM high: 13000hz

X:42 low: 420hz
X:42 mid: 1200hz
X:42 high: 2700hz

X4D low: 120hz
X4D mid: 1400hz
X4D high: 10000hz

Rane low: 300hz
Rane mid: 1200hz
Rane high: 4000hz

DDM low: 330hz
DDM mid: 1400hz
DDM high: 4200hz

Allen & Heath - 4 Band EQ's:
X:92 low: 100hz
X:92 low-mid: 250hz
X:92 high-mid: 2500hz
X:92 high: 10000hz

this should be usefull for creating a EQ8 in ableton that can be used!
There were the ready presets too, but not avaiable as they were uploaded on megaupload :(

Also you should google for DJM800-Ableton-MIDI-R2.zip which ist a complete mapping of the DJM 800 to ableton, from a Pioneer guy. Unfortunately the EQs sound kinda weird to me!
Razy 11:49 AM - 5 April, 2012
If you need Videos / Screenshots, hang on for a while and I'll do it. I have also 1 or 2 other ways to use and create your Mixtapes. Even if you dont own a MIDI Mixer like me (TTM 56S).
I'll write it down in my tutorial.
DJ Eazy B 5:14 PM - 5 April, 2012
Please, someone just make a video. This is overly long.
Code:E 5:35 PM - 5 April, 2012
Quote:
I found something on abletons forums:

3 Band EQ's:

DJM low: 70hz
DJM mid: 1000hz
DJM high: 13000hz

X:42 low: 420hz
X:42 mid: 1200hz
X:42 high: 2700hz

X4D low: 120hz
X4D mid: 1400hz
X4D high: 10000hz

Rane low: 300hz
Rane mid: 1200hz
Rane high: 4000hz

DDM low: 330hz
DDM mid: 1400hz
DDM high: 4200hz

Allen & Heath - 4 Band EQ's:
X:92 low: 100hz
X:92 low-mid: 250hz
X:92 high-mid: 2500hz
X:92 high: 10000hz

this should be usefull for creating a EQ8 in ableton that can be used!
There were the ready presets too, but not avaiable as they were uploaded on megaupload :(

Also you should google for DJM800-Ableton-MIDI-R2.zip which ist a complete mapping of the DJM 800 to ableton, from a Pioneer guy. Unfortunately the EQs sound kinda weird to me!

Dose it have the Q factor on each of those also?
jerome 10:06 AM - 20 June, 2012
wn.com
check .It's the same eq as pioneer Djm but only for windows the os x version comming soon
jerome 10:09 AM - 20 June, 2012