DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato & Ableton Bridge "Mixtape" Fader Automation w/DJM-700 via Midi

Dj JesC 6:48 AM - 22 April, 2011
Hey guys I've been working on this for about 2 weeks. I got SSL and Live to record Mixtapes similar to a Rane 57 & 68. All you need is a midi to usb (Roland UM-1) cable and a little mapping within Live. Basically what I get is all the EQ/Fader/BPM automation. It still has some bugs but im sure with some tweaking it will just get better. I posted the video to the link below.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Hope that Serato would let 3rd party mixers work with the Bridge to record this midi info.
DJ P Dot 8:55 AM - 22 April, 2011
had to be the first to "like" this :)
Dj JesC 6:24 PM - 22 April, 2011
damn i think this thread needs to be moved over to the Bridge sub forum.
kryptonitednb 3:26 AM - 28 April, 2011
This is great man! Any way you can do a written or video tutorial on how to set everything up?
DJ Tecniq 6:55 AM - 28 April, 2011
I use the 700 with a cakewalk um-1g to crossfade audio/video with VSL. Fuck a TTM57! Pioneer DJM-700 is much cheaper and works flawlessly. Check my video mix. Nothing special just scratchin & mixin video! shameless plug
Watchvimeo.com
Dj JesC 8:35 PM - 29 April, 2011
Ill check out the video Tecniq. Hey Kryptonitednb I will be working a video that shows step by step on how to set it up.
kryptonitednb 8:38 PM - 29 April, 2011
Quote:
Ill check out the video Tecniq. Hey Kryptonitednb I will be working a video that shows step by step on how to set it up.

Thanks, that will be a HUGE help :)
DJ Jonasty 9:46 PM - 29 April, 2011
This will be like vsl. Only works for Dane mixers at first but after a year or so any old midi mixer will work.
DJ Jonasty 9:47 PM - 29 April, 2011
Rane. Stupid ipod
Dj JesC 9:56 PM - 29 April, 2011
Quote:
This will be like vsl. Only works for Dane mixers at first but after a year or so any old midi mixer will work.

Im pretty sure Serato will open this up, I guess they wanted to see if their was a demand for this feature to work with other midi mixers.
Rebelguy 6:36 PM - 30 April, 2011
Quote:

Im pretty sure Serato will open this up, I guess they wanted to see if their was a demand for this feature to work with other midi mixers.

Or sell a few mixers.
Dj JesC 2:25 AM - 17 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Or sell a few mixers.

yup at the end of the day its all business and serato and rane have a great partnership,
deckspin 11:43 PM - 23 November, 2011
Hey Jes, this is great! Can you please also let me know how to set upl? If Rane had a controller I might get one, but I just don't want to invest in one of their mixers as I want something portable. And for me, the whole point of Mixtape is that you can record the automation. If you can send me how to do this I would be forever grateful! Does it also work with DJM-800s? And/or the DDJ-S1?
Dj JesC 2:30 AM - 26 November, 2011
Quote:
... Does it also work with DJM-800s? And/or the DDJ-S1?

This works with any midi mappable mixer. as far as the ddj-s1 i would have to get one in my hands. hit up pioneer to send me one.
DJ Eazy B 3:01 PM - 26 November, 2011
Like deckspin said, would you be able to send or upload the automation file. I have the DJM 700 and am not 100% on midi mapping in Ableton. Cheers
carakita 5:33 PM - 27 January, 2012
Hi serato.com,

I need to set up my denon MC6000 with Ableton Live 8.2, automate the equalizer in the mc denon 6000 and the value is 0, but ableton when I move the knob goes from 0 to -13 dB
I can do?
or not using Ableton EQ?
what are the fader that I have to automate?
Dj JesC 7:45 PM - 27 January, 2012
yeah you can do it, just drop a 3 band eq in ableton and map each eq knob from the MC-6000 to Live.
carakita 8:33 PM - 27 January, 2012
I know, but the knobs do not work the same ways as in ableton and denon mc6000.

if I move the denon knob, the knob moves abruptly ableton understand?
Dj JesC 9:27 PM - 27 January, 2012
you have to change the setting or threshold on the mapping in ableton.
carakita 9:45 PM - 28 January, 2012
like?, sorry
phatbob 1:15 PM - 29 January, 2012
Thavius Beck: When MIDI mapping any parameter with a range in value (like a fader, a knob, filter frequency, etc.), not only can you set the minimum and maximum values of the range, but you can also invert the minimum and maximum values. To do this, just hit the MIDI button in the upper right corner to enable the midi map mode, then map a fader, knob, or row of buttons to a parameter in Live. Now on the left you will see the what you have just midi mapped, and you will also see the minimum and maximum values (which can be changed). If you right-click on any of those midi mappings, you will be able to invert the minimum and maximum values as well.

I found it wiv da googles
phatbob 1:16 PM - 29 January, 2012
You need to change the min/max values for the mapped knob.
Dj JesC 11:27 PM - 29 January, 2012
you have to change the settings cause as soon as you turn a knob to goes forward all the way.
RAYMIXX 4:01 PM - 12 February, 2012
Hey DJ JesC,

Any updates on a tutorial on how you mapped your mixer to Ableton step by step?? I'm using a DJM800 and still trying to figure it out

Thanks
Dj JesC 8:30 PM - 13 February, 2012
hey Ray, believe me i want to get a video out, but getting a hold of a djm-700 , 800 or 900 is tough. They video is the easy part. it would only take about 1hr. I even hit up Pionner and they didnt even care. Im sure if my name was deadmouse5 or non skill-rex they would overnight it to me.
RAYMIXX 10:20 PM - 13 February, 2012
lol...damn