DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Traktor 2 is greater than the bridge

Caliber 8:32 PM - 31 March, 2011
I must say if anyone haven't tried the demo for traktor 2, you should give it a go. The ease of use with the samples decks is everything i thought the bridge would of been. I think serableton needs to do something about that. my biggest problems with the bridge is beatgriding and warping songs and not able to load tracks from ssl interface
djogb 9:12 PM - 31 March, 2011
Caliber,
I hear you loud and clear. I shelled out additional $380 just to have full Ableton Live and after a bunch of shoot and misses in trying to have them (Ableton & SSL) play well along I abandoned the idea. Who knows, I thought I was alone on this warping and having to work my butt off to make them work together. I think Serato have to rethink it's collaboration with Ableton because they wasted our time
DJ Remy USA 9:33 PM - 31 March, 2011
serato and ableton are very hands on software. They do play nicely together but they dont make things a simple a traktor. Its more production based you have to get your tracks warp in ableton which makes it a pain to even essentially "remix on the fly" Like I said its more production based. Traktors new program is a beast I just dont feel like reanlyzing tracks.
Dj Ace 10:02 PM - 31 March, 2011
I love the bridge but I am no tech nerd. So simple and works every time. What is the problem? Auto syncing sp6...cough...cough? Serato and Rane are very smart companies give them time and I'm sure they will blow our minds...soon. Also I have traktor 2 and still don't like the library, registration is ass, and you can't just plug into a buddies laptop with authorization first...whew but it is a lot better than it was but still no Serato IMO
Dj Ace 10:04 PM - 31 March, 2011
Also remember we are only at bridge 1.0....
djogb 10:21 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
I love the bridge but I am no tech nerd. So simple and works every time. What is the problem? Auto syncing sp6...cough...cough? Serato and Rane are very smart companies give them time and I'm sure they will blow our minds...soon. Also I have traktor 2 and still don't like the library, registration is ass, and you can't just plug into a buddies laptop with authorization first...whew but it is a lot better than it was but still no Serato IMO

Ace,
Traktor 1 or 2 have library problems even when piggy backing on iTunes. SL is the boss when when it comes to track organization.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:30 PM - 31 March, 2011
scratch live's library could do with improvements too.
Dirty Digits 10:42 PM - 31 March, 2011
Bridge 1.0 or not, Dubspot is killin it with their newest entry to their blog. They basically show how to route & assign audio from Trakor 2 into dedicated channels in Ableton via Jack OSX. Very similar to the Bridge & definitely worth a look

blog.dubspot.com
Dj Ace 10:44 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:

Ace,
Traktor 1 or 2 have library problems even when piggy backing on iTunes. SL is the boss when when it comes to track organization.

I agree...
Dj Ace 10:49 PM - 31 March, 2011
the bridge is off the hook already and is only going to get better....You can already sync to decks, control an Ableton live set with a deck (no scratching yet), route effect to SSL (via a trick big wiz found) and use mixtape with rane mixers. You can even sync ableton live set to Video's...it is crazy sick don't fall for all the marketing hype (like I did) and buy into traktor 2.0 if you already have serato, video sl, and/or ableton it is a waste of money! will continue using to see if they iron out the bugs but don't see use bounds coming soon..
Dj Ace 10:50 PM - 31 March, 2011
"see use bounds" = don't see any great leaps and bounds coming soon...LOL sorry on an iphone
Dj Ace 10:58 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
scratch live's library could do with improvements too.

I agree but Its good now...

You can already drag a crate directly out of your library to a drive or your desktop to create a folder! You can rename, add pic, and delete from your hard drive all within SSL.

It would be perfect if we could drag direct from SL library to the bridge, and also auto-create sub crates from sub folders, and sync crates with folders on any drive so they auto update when tracks are added.
Dj Ace 11:02 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
Bridge 1.0 or not, Dubspot is killin it with their newest entry to their blog. They basically show how to route & assign audio from Trakor 2 into dedicated channels in Ableton via Jack OSX. Very similar to the Bridge & definitely worth a look

blog.dubspot.com

This is very cool but this can already be done with the bridge which is already free...
Dj Ace 11:14 PM - 31 March, 2011
and way less complicated...geez
Dj Ace 11:16 PM - 31 March, 2011
Check this out...
Watchvimeo.com
echa1945mf 11:27 PM - 31 March, 2011
beeen on traktor for a year crashed 6 times . once when im headlining a rave in front of 3000 people (worst night of my life ) using serato for more than 2 years , never crashed (except one time where i forgot to plug the power to my laptop,and that idiotic part was on me), so yeah even the new T2 dont impress me at all , stability is all i need and nope wont see me going back to that
StreetFighta 11:44 PM - 31 March, 2011
traktor in the past never crashed on me, but scratch live has, so the stability thing on both ends has been exaggerated
DjWoody 11:50 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

blog.dubspot.com

This is very cool but this can already be done with the bridge which is already free...

Bridge is not free. You have to buy Ableton Live Suite and Serato to own it. That's already over $1000!
Dj JesC 12:22 AM - 1 April, 2011
I use both serato and traktor. I cant really talk too much on TSP2 cuz NI hasnt sent me my s/n. I used Traktor Scratch (Pro) at every gig for many years, i switched now im using SSL.

Both systems are stable and both have pros/cons and are great DVS.

Dont take this personal Caliber, but this post looks like its just here to stir things up on the Serato forums.
Caliber 1:08 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
I use both serato and traktor. I cant really talk too much on TSP2 cuz NI hasnt sent me my s/n. I used Traktor Scratch (Pro) at every gig for many years, i switched now im using SSL.

Both systems are stable and both have pros/cons and are great DVS.

Dont take this personal Caliber, but this post looks like its just here to stir things up on the Serato forums.

its cool Dj JesC, wasn't trying to get the guys rowdy. I use both ssl and traktor pro. both great programs. Just keeping an open mind about the traktor and bridge. I just think that a few feature that traktor 2 has is what some bridge users were looking for.

Dj Ace mention that we are still on bridge 1.0 which is true and im hoping that ableton and serato works it out but just the fact that beatgriding is ridiculous and I would have to warp. Im not a dj that makes playlist for a certain night, its just one folder with hip hop and one for dancehall and i go from there. Having to pre set a ableton live with music is an headache for me because i think of tracks to play at that moment cause no crowd is the same. So i dont want to have a set and it just doesnt work for the crowd that is there on that night.

All im saying is try the demo and give yours thoughts
Dj JesC 2:09 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:

its cool Dj JesC, wasn't trying to get the guys rowdy. I use both ssl and traktor pro. both great programs. Just keeping an open mind about the traktor and bridge. I just think that a few feature that traktor 2 has is what some bridge users were looking for.
All im saying is try the demo and give yours thoughts

Caliber, keep in mind that you came on the Serato forums and said Traktor is better. Lots of guys here have invested a lot of time working on playlist, cue points, etc. You are asking them to try the demo, which they cant even try out the DVS side unless the have a cert. mixer or NI A4/6/8/10. But most of the guys here are turned off by one simple feature, its the sync button.

I did try the demo for TP2 and wasnt truly impressed. But I have to wait until i get my s/n to make up my mind for TSP2. The first thing I did was look under the hood and midi mapping is the same which is a pain in the butt.

The bridge is awesome and in time it will get better with time. NI has Traktor and Maschine that it can intergrate, but they focused on releasing maschine 1.6 with the VST support.
Caliber 2:42 AM - 1 April, 2011
there was suppose to be a question mark at the end of that topic. my bad
DjWoody 4:57 AM - 1 April, 2011
WOW!!!! I'm in love with the new TRAKTOR 2.0!!! Been messing with it all night. NI took it to a whole different level. Serato needs to step it up quick!
RogerRabbit 5:52 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
WOW!!!! I'm in love with the new TRAKTOR 2.0!!! Been messing with it all night. NI took it to a whole different level. Serato needs to step it up quick!

Explain..
StreetFighta 6:27 AM - 1 April, 2011
The ease and flexibility of recording and throwing things to sample decks is pretty damn dope. Colored waveforms are alright, dont care too much about them.
DJ Unique 6:40 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Explain..

Yes... explain.
Pros with TP2 that are cons with SSL.
Pros with SSL that are cons with TP2.
DjWoody 7:15 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Explain..

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

serato.com

Explain..

Yes... explain.
DjWoody 7:16 AM - 1 April, 2011
DjWoody 7:27 AM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Explain..

Yes... explain.

Both SSL & Traktor are very similar. They both do the same basic functions. However, once you start digging in deeper, you start noticing the differences and that's where Traktor is king. Traktor is very detailed and gives you as much control as you need. You have total control over custamization.

Traktor Pros...
- Sample Decks!!! Well worth it. They are a lot of fun, and it unleashed my creativity.
- Sound Quality!!! AMAZING!
- 4 Decks or up to 16 virtual decks (Sample Decks)
- Sync Button... Let the flamming begin. I decided to put this on the pro's rather than the cons, because as a producer, if I wanna remix on the fly, there's no way in hell I can sync 16 decks at the same time and keep them all in time while trying to mix them all. The sync button is very handy when using one shots & loops for live remixing. It simply keeps all your loops in time. It's no different than the sync button on the Bridge or in Ableton.
- Effects. 30+ on the Pro version.
- Easy to use
- Works perfectly with Beatport tracks.

TRAKTOR CONS
- The library is still not up to par like Serato's. It's a bit of a pain, so you better have all your tracks ready ahead of time.
- No Video Plugin (but I honestly don't see Traktor going that route)
dj pesh 8:14 AM - 1 April, 2011
I would try traktor if they catered for video DJs but at the moment Scratch Live suits my needs. Thank you for your review DJ Woody, it gave me a little insight into Traktor 2.
Evon 8:16 AM - 1 April, 2011
Pros with TP2

-sampledeck sync
-looprecorder
-more cuepoints
-midi in/out
-more/better fx
-sync 4 decs with sync funktion
-Open format meaning you can use use any midi controller out there.
- Now with TP2 you can use the S4 as a mixer and connect your precious technics, or you can choose to be Mobile.
-Less costly.

Cons:
Interface. I like Seratos better. But thats preference I guess
Library mangement

Serato Pros
-Interface
-Library Management
-The Bridge
-Free updates
-ease to use

Cons:
-No looprecorder
-No sampledeck with sync
-No midi out
-No sync ( I regard this as a con, some might not)
-Not a all in one solution like TP2. If you wanna be mobile you have to buy a Itch certified controller.
-Costly

Serato got the bridge, but NI did a clever countermove with the sampledeck and loop recorder. In my opinion I would rather have sampledeck than the bridge, because of integrated library and you don't have to spend ours preparing tracks.
With all this cons I can't justify not to buy tp2, but still gonna keep my sl3. Doesn't hurt to be able to spin both DVS.
Evon 9:16 AM - 1 April, 2011
A big pro for Serato is the customer support team. Very fast responstime the few times I had any issues. Usually my own fault ;)
dj pesh 6:10 PM - 1 April, 2011
Just seen this about a new mixer, Pioneer DJM-T1

forums.pioneerdj.com
DjWoody 6:21 PM - 1 April, 2011
Pioneer replied to that thread and said they're announcing a new product next week at Musikmese.
DJ Awyse 6:47 PM - 1 April, 2011
I've used TSP2 a lot in the past two days, I also use The Bridge/Serato.

TSP2 Pros:

- Better Waveforms
- Sample Decks
- Loop Recorder
- X1 Natively supported/Maschine support
- More MIDI options
- Sync Engine
- Better FX
- More Cue Points

Cons:

- Sample decks limited to 48 Seconds
- Sample decks can't use cue points like Serato
- You need a BIG laptop (17") if you want to use 4 decks with sample decks
- Library management
- Interface has improved, although still not as simple as Serato
- MIDI is still a pain to configure

Serato/Bridge

Pros:

- Library management is light years ahead
- Interface is very intuitive
- Sample S6 has no limit to time/can adjust with cue points
- VSL
- Bridge
- Loop Roll

Cons:

- Mixtape is essentially worthless without a 57/68
- Bridge is still not stable/Errors
- Lacks Loop recorder/sampler ability
- Still lacks a lot of features that IMO should have been there day 1
- Warping/Beat Griding is a pain in the ass
- VSL still has codec issues
- No Sync
- Issues with non-serato affiliated midi controllers

Overall summary, I will be keeping the SL3 but I will also be getting Traktor Scratch Pro 2. A lot of the places I work have miserable booths that are prone to vibrations that cause skipping/latency issues with Serato. I used to scoff at the idea of using sync, but now it's something I need because I'm tired of constantly pushing/pulling due to vibrations along with the rare case of turntables with bad motors.

The Bridge still needs a lot of work. IMO the reason why we haven't seen a massive flood of videos using the bridge in mind blowing ways is because the limitations it has. I know it's version 1.0 but maybe Serato should have held off a year to releasing it and focused more on 2.0. Mixtape is worthless without a 57/68, and with the massive amount of users that have a DJM-800 as their midi mixer, I think it's pretty deplorable that support for it wasn't included from the get go. I'm not a programmer nor familiar with the code the programs use, but as far as I know 57/68 faders are midi just like the DJM-800 and if the VSL can recognize the MIDI faders on the 800, I'm sure as hell that Mixtape can. As for the Transport, yes I'm aware there's little tricks and what not to get around the limitations, but I really don't want to deal with that. I know the bridge will continue to evolve and get better, but right now for what I want to do, Traktor and its sampledecks/loop recorder suit me a lot better.

Both programs are good, and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Currently, I will have both programs and that brings the freedom to switch back and forth to whatever program currently suits me for what the environment demands. I will continue to use Serato for videomixing, and I will start using Traktor for non-video gigs. Depending on the how the programs evolve, I will adjust accordingly.
DjWoody 6:51 PM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
I've used TSP2 a lot in the past two days, I also use The Bridge/Serato.

TSP2 Pros:

- Better Waveforms
- Sample Decks
- Loop Recorder
- X1 Natively supported/Maschine support
- More MIDI options
- Sync Engine
- Better FX
- More Cue Points

Cons:

- Sample decks limited to 48 Seconds
- Sample decks can't use cue points like Serato
- You need a BIG laptop (17") if you want to use 4 decks with sample decks
- Library management
- Interface has improved, although still not as simple as Serato
- MIDI is still a pain to configure

Serato/Bridge

Pros:

- Library management is light years ahead
- Interface is very intuitive
- Sample S6 has no limit to time/can adjust with cue points
- VSL
- Bridge
- Loop Roll

Cons:

- Mixtape is essentially worthless without a 57/68
- Bridge is still not stable/Errors
- Lacks Loop recorder/sampler ability
- Still lacks a lot of features that IMO should have been there day 1
- Warping/Beat Griding is a pain in the ass
- VSL still has codec issues
- No Sync
- Issues with non-serato affiliated midi controllers

Overall summary, I will be keeping the SL3 but I will also be getting Traktor Scratch Pro 2. A lot of the places I work have miserable booths that are prone to vibrations that cause skipping/latency issues with Serato. I used to scoff at the idea of using sync, but now it's something I need because I'm tired of constantly pushing/pulling due to vibrations along with the rare case of turntables with bad motors.

The Bridge still needs a lot of work. IMO the reason why we haven't seen a massive flood of videos using the bridge in mind blowing ways is because the limitations it has. I know it's version 1.0 but maybe Serato should have held off a year to releasing it and focused more on 2.0. Mixtape is worthless without a 57/68, and with the massive amount of users that have a DJM-800 as their midi mixer, I think it's pretty deplorable that support for it wasn't included from the get go. I'm not a programmer nor familiar with the code the programs use, but as far as I know 57/68 faders are midi just like the DJM-800 and if the VSL can recognize the MIDI faders on the 800, I'm sure as hell that Mixtape can. As for the Transport, yes I'm aware there's little tricks and what not to get around the limitations, but I really don't want to deal with that. I know the bridge will continue to evolve and get better, but right now for what I want to do, Traktor and its sampledecks/loop recorder suit me a lot better.

Both programs are good, and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Currently, I will have both programs and that brings the freedom to switch back and forth to whatever program currently suits me for what the environment demands. I will continue to use Serato for videomixing, and I will start using Traktor for non-video gigs. Depending on the how the programs evolve, I will adjust accordingly.

Exactly how I feel.
StreetFighta 6:54 PM - 1 April, 2011
same, I feel like for straight up audio djing, I have a lot more fun with traktor. I sold my TSP a while back and switched to SL, but I might pick up that new PIO mixer and rock both in the future.
Dj Ace 7:40 PM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

blog.dubspot.com

Bridge is not free. You have to buy Ableton Live Suite and Serato to own it. That's already over $1000!

The bridge is fee if you already own SL and Ableton already....You don't need the suite either just the regular full version around 399.00 most places.
Dj Ace 7:50 PM - 1 April, 2011
Even though the bridge is at 1.0 it does a lot of things right also and super easy to use on a 57/68 for the record...
the syncing does work great...the way it shares the sound cards on the 5768 is a dream and the use of ableton effects is awesome. MIxtape is awesome if you own a 57/68 and soon to be itch controllers.

Don't believe the hype. Learn ableton using the demo and try out for yourself before you purchase. Mashups are off the hook, beat gridding is easier on serato (just as much work on either traktor or serato), don't believe fanboy-ism. I have both and really trying to justify having bought traktor when serato was already so much more...my 2 cents
DJ Awyse 8:56 PM - 1 April, 2011
I've used Ableton for a long time, since version 7. The Bridge does a lot of things right, that doesn't discount the fact that there's still a lot missing. I don't think I'm in the minority believing that we're still a far way from the delivering point of the initial expectations of the relationship between Serato and Ableton. Furthermore, it's not a very good selling point that in order to get the most out of it you need a mixer that is priced out of most peoples budge that still has firmware issues (68). As for using Ableton's effects, they put a massive strain on the CPU that affects performance if you have anything less than a desktop replacement laptop.

It's not just beat griding, you have to warp songs too. I don't have the time to constantly warp hundreds of tracks each month either, nor do most people here. Traktor's beat griding isn't that bad, and it's a lot easier to deal with and for the most part you just need to make little adjustments from the intial placement.

Going back to your strawman point about fanboyism, looking over this forum there are still a visible group of users that are still using versions prior to 2.0 for stability reasons. I doubt these are dedicated traktor users that have purposely signed up for this forum to discourage users from upgrading and spent years creating a cover to make that point.
DjWoody 9:22 PM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
Going back to your strawman point about fanboyism, looking over this forum there are still a visible group of users that are still using versions prior to 2.0 for stability reasons. I doubt these are dedicated traktor users that have purposely signed up for this forum to discourage users from upgrading and spent years creating a cover to make that point.

I'm one of those. I'm still using 1.9.2. It's the most stable release for me. I wonder how Maschine interacts with Traktor. I don't own Maschine, that's why I ask. If Maschine now supports VST's and somehow you can route those into tracktor and add them to a sample deck, who! You'll have a beat! IMO, Traktor is no longer just a DVS system, it's way more now. It seems like it's quickly becoming a central hub for live remixing/live production.
Dj Ace 2:10 AM - 2 April, 2011
what firmware issues?
Dj Ace 2:11 AM - 2 April, 2011
just wondering coz my 68 and version works good...unless i am missing something?
Dj Ace 2:11 AM - 2 April, 2011
VERSION 2.2