Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

VCI-300 Jog Wheel Lubrication - Your thoughts?

amada32 1:12 PM - 31 March, 2011
MY VCI is starting to have issues with the jog wheel (again) and rather than send it in, I'm going to clean it myself.

In this thread, serato.com, Carl mentions that Vestax recommends standard ball-bearing grease, white lithium grease or silicone oil.

I don't think any of the lubricants above are electrically conductive, which may cause them to not keep the connection when dust and/or grime builds up, and may be the root cause of the jog wheel issue I am having.

What if we (VCI owners) used something like this to lubricate the jog wheel spindles? It may cost a little more than convententional grease, but it may pay off in the long run. www.grainger.com

My thinking is that the condictivity of the grease will stretch (not eliminate) the time required between jog wheel servicing. I'm specifically looking for Carl to take this item back to Vestax and get their thoughts on it, but appreciate thoughts and feedback from forum members as well.
kraal 1:55 PM - 31 March, 2011
i used white lithium grease over a year ago and have not had to do it again yet
elliotg 7:19 PM - 31 March, 2011
did mine with carbon conductive grease and is fine. Mine had been in for service and started playing up weeks after getting it back.It was away for 2 months. When doing it myself only took hours.
Dj Fitty 7:32 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
did mine with carbon conductive grease and is fine. Mine had been in for service and started playing up weeks after getting it back.It was away for 2 months. When doing it myself only took hours.

used conductive grease also, picked it up from micro center. Just put a little on q-tip swap and apply it to the post where it makes contact to the flex metal thingy. try not to get the grease on other parts. I did and had to wipe my entire unit down with alcohol to get it to function right.
amada32 12:09 AM - 1 April, 2011
How often do you guys gig with your VCIs? I use mine once a week at a small gig and at home a lot. I may try the lithium grease if it has worked for over a year.

I think the root problem is that the spindles become electrically or magnetically charged and attract dust and lint. The buildup seems to be mostly fibers on my VCI.
kraal 12:30 AM - 1 April, 2011
2 to three times a week every day at home
amada32 1:30 AM - 1 April, 2011
Cool. I'm gonna go for the lithium grease. What did you use to clean the spindles? I was thinking about using deoxit then applying the grease.
elliotg 1:36 AM - 1 April, 2011
absolute alcohol/isopropyl alcohol which can be brought from most electronics stores
amada32 2:50 AM - 1 April, 2011
Thank you very much.
kraal 7:46 AM - 1 April, 2011
i used deoxit
Dj Fitty 8:49 AM - 1 April, 2011
use my for practice every day and then 6 nights a week working, but i am more concerned about the crossfader than I am the jogs.
amada32 8:34 PM - 1 April, 2011
Cool. Thanks guys.
amada32 5:13 PM - 3 April, 2011
Update: Cleaned the spindles with Deoxit and lubricated with a small dab of white lithium grease and the jog wheels are good as new, if not better than new. Thanks to everyone for their help.