Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Right jog wheel song freezes when in scratch mode

Product
ITCH
Version
-
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Panotaker 2:51 PM - 11 June, 2010
Product: itch
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.3
---

I bought a used VCI-300 a couple of days ago. Since I didn't know anything about it, I let the previous owner demo it for me and everything seemed to work just fine. When I got home, I set it up, but only played with the left hand jog wheel for the first couple of days while I got familiar with all the buttons and knobs. Then I loaded a song on the right jog wheel and everything worked fine, but I had it on pitch bend mode. My problems started when I put it on scratch mode. On scratch mode, the minute I start to scratch, the song freezes when I take my hands of the platter. It sits there for a few seconds and then starts back up by itself. If like if I hit the pause button. The left jog wheel works just fine. I was going to contact the seller, but I got a feeling he had already spent my money the minute I left his house.

I did a little bit of research and saw other people having the same problem and it was due to dirt inside the jog wheel. I saw a video on youtube that shows you how to take the jog wheel apart and clean the brass shaft and the long copper bar that rubs against the shaft. I took mine apart and cleaned it, and it fixed my problem, and now the jog wheel works just fine. My question is, when I cleaned the shaft, I wiped off most of the clear grease that goes on the shaft. I need to know what kind of grease do I need to buy to put back on the shaft. I got a feeling, since I wiped most of the grease off, it will get dirty pretty quick from the two different metals rubbing together. I also noticed that the long flat copper bar that rubs on the brass shaft is getting black. I thought about sanding it, but just ended up rubbing it with my finger. Is it okay to lightly sand it to get the oxidation off or just leave it since it is working right now, or can I just order that one piece in case it gives me more problems in the future.

Like I said, I fixed my problem and both jog wheels are working perfect. I just need to know what kind of grease goes on the shaft, and where can I get it. I also need to know if I can order the little flat copper bar that rubs against the brass shaft on the jog wheel or if just lightly sanding it is good enough. Thanks.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 11:22 PM - 11 June, 2010
Hello Panotaker,

I will try to find what type is used. Have you used anything on it at this time?

Thank you,
Carl
Panotaker 11:34 PM - 11 June, 2010
No, I haven't put anything on it, all I did was wipe off the old stuff. There wasn't much on there to begin with. It barely has a light coating on it now, so it's working. The sad part is I will probably have to buy a 16 oz tube and I only need like a drop. Can you find out about the flat copper bar that rubs up against the brass shaft. Thanks.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 11:43 PM - 11 June, 2010
I am checking with the engineers about this and waiting for a response :)

how do you like the unit so far?

Thank you,
Carl
Panotaker 12:13 AM - 12 June, 2010
I tell you what, I have been DJing since the 70's and I can't believe you can have a whole DJ booth that I can put on my lap. This thing is awesome. I just picked up the VFX-1 today, but haven't had time to play with it yet, but I am sure I am going to love it. One more question, are you going to come out with different platters? I like the ones on the Typhoon. Are they interchangeable?
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 6:46 PM - 14 June, 2010
I believe they are, but the diameter of the Typhoon platters are smaller and when you try to grab the the platter it might be difficult. I would contact our US distributor and see if they have any VCI-300 custom platters.

U.S.A.
American Music & Sound
www.americanmusicandsound.com
5304 Derry Avenue #C Agoura Hills, CA 91301
www.americanmusicandsound.com
tel:866-474-7711 fax:818-597-0411

Thank you,
Carl
Panotaker 11:11 PM - 15 June, 2010
Have you found out about the grease I need to put on the brass shaft, and the availability of the flat copper bar yet? Thanks.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 10:10 PM - 16 June, 2010
I have emailed them again. I should be getting a answer shortly. I apologize for the wait.
Did you clean both decks?

Thank you,
Carl
Panotaker 10:21 PM - 16 June, 2010
No, I only cleaned the right one. The left one is working fine. I'll clean it when I get the grease. I bought mine used, from a guy that liked to scratch. I figured he only scratched on the right deck. Since I don't scratch, it will probably last me forever.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 11:39 PM - 16 June, 2010
Good news

Mos2 grease (black grease used for ball bearings in the Car industries. but it should be also possible to use lithium grease (white).
If you customer cannot get these things a tiny drop of silicone oil will do the job.

I hope this helps :)

Thank you,
Carl
Panotaker 12:54 AM - 17 June, 2010
Thanks Carl, but are you sure? The stuff that was on there from the factory was clear, not black, or white. I also think that the flat copper bar that rides on the brass shaft on the bottom of the controller (where the grease goes) is an electrical connection, I would think it would have to be some kind of conductive grease to make the electrical connection. To me it looks exactly like Vaseline petroleum jelly. I guess next time I take it apart I can try some of what you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Ralph
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 4:10 PM - 18 June, 2010
I got the info from master technicians at Vestax. I did not make it up :)

Thank you,
Carl
Panotaker 8:11 PM - 18 June, 2010
Okay, good deal. That's good enough for me. Thank you very much. I will try it next time I take it apart, but so far, it's working perfect.

Thanks,
Ralph