Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Possible Faulty Hardware???

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djpetey 9:16 AM - 12 August, 2004
Tonight I took SSL to the club with me for the first time.... Its amazing and Im in love with it, but I ran into a problem.... for some reason, anything coming out of channel 2 was only coming out of the right side.... fortunately, the club I was spinning at wasnt hooked up in stereo, so it was essentially half the volume which I could make up for with gains.... BUT, I played with it a lot to try to find the problem and heres what I know....

1) this was happening in all modes (abs, int,)
2) it wasnt dependant on the turntable plugged into it.... I actually started out the night spinning with one table and using the input reverse trick (which is damn sexy by the way).... I had my one table plugged in on the left side and it would work fine on channel one, but when I reversed it so the same tables was using channel two, no left side again.....
3) I tried replugging, switching, and replacing the rcas.... no help....same issue....
4) real records worked fine on that side (full stereo sound)

SO, this leads me to believe that somewhere between the line out on channel two and line in on my mixer, we're having problems.... again, its not the rca cord....

I then plugged a cd player into line two just to see if it was my mixer (rane ttm56) and it worked fine....

the only thing I can come up with is the physical ssl box is the problem..... Is there something Im missing? Please help.... even with this pretty big issue, its such a good product.... I really want to use it..... Ive never even heard of a rane quality issue as far as physical hardware, so I know this is kinda weird, but let me know what my next step needs to be..... Thanks for your time....1....PT
BassChamber 11:35 AM - 12 August, 2004
i experienced similar problem first week i got SSL, but it has never happened to me again...

i used SSL in my last gig and everything was ok.

really, i love SSL :)
Lephunk 5:32 PM - 12 August, 2004
i come across this quite often... and no it's not your SLL hardware... try licking the connectors on your needles... and then screw it in tight... that should fix your problem... if it's not your needles... then ummm... go ask someone else...
SpinThis! 8:09 PM - 12 August, 2004
i ran into this one time as well... restarting fixed it and I haven't heard from this gremlin since.
djpetey 11:11 PM - 12 August, 2004
it wasnt needles....because I was using the same turntable to run both sides and channel 2 was in internal mode when it was losing one of the channels.... so basically, you guys are saying this is something that kinda happens once? Any info from rane/serato on this?
Serato
Josh 9:32 AM - 13 August, 2004
I haven't seen or heard of this problem before, so my advice would be to keep trying, try it connected directly to an amp, etc. Then if the problem persists, contact Rane directly.