DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BRIDGE Compatibility automation with 3rd party controllers ( Midi...etc )

0DD1 12:03 PM - 2 February, 2011
Due to SL1, SL 3 and SL4's not being able to record automation, It would be nice to be able to record fader and knob automations similar to Rane 68 and TTM57 mixer when recording a Mixtape, through the use of various midi controllers.

For instance, there should be another Midi mapping tab inside Serato Scratchlive Settings, where EQ's and Faders can be directly mapped by 3rd party controllers.

The idea is to relatively do what TTM57 & Rane 68 mixer can, except its controlled by midi controllers or possibly with mixers that has midi capabilites.
SchemeAlmighty 9:37 PM - 15 February, 2011
Agreed!
Dj Ace 6:56 AM - 16 February, 2011
you will be able to this with all of the itch controllers
SchemeAlmighty 7:18 AM - 16 February, 2011
I simply don't want to give up my technic 1200's, 3rd party mixer support would be awesome.
Dj Ace 3:04 AM - 17 February, 2011
ic...you don't like the rane mixers...
SchemeAlmighty 3:28 AM - 17 February, 2011
Sure, but they are too pricey for my budget at this point... Had I known Rane mixers included Serato I would have purchased one prior to buying SL3. Its kind of pointless to go out and buy a mixer for me in that price range just for automation.
Dj Ace 5:31 AM - 18 February, 2011
good point...or you could sell your sl3 and mixer should easily get you a ttm 57...ust a thought
Mutis 1:53 PM - 18 February, 2011
It could be possible to "emulate" ttm57 with some remote scripting magic.

Nothing special on rane hardware side.
SchemeAlmighty 2:41 PM - 19 February, 2011
How could one manage that? BTW I gave in and got a DDM4000 since it was a lot cheaper and actually caught a better than decent deal at Sam Ash by chance.

Quote:
It could be possible to "emulate" ttm57 with some remote scripting magic.

Nothing special on rane hardware side.
Mutis 10:41 PM - 19 February, 2011
Learn Python.

remotescripts.blogspot.com

Inside your live directory you can find Midi controllers remote scritps like APC40, launchpad and, obviously, the Bridge.

Nothing special on hardware side... more than dongle, of course.
SchemeAlmighty 8:38 PM - 21 February, 2011
cool ZI'll check it out thanks!
Mutis 8:45 PM - 21 February, 2011
;)
SchemeAlmighty 5:57 AM - 4 April, 2011
Well I dug around, even tried to find someone that knows Python to see if a script could be written to allow just simple automation for the DDM4000 to allow fader movements to be recorded and nothing. The remotescripts site was informative but way too confusing for someone like myself who doesnt quite understand it or all the time needed to learn it. If someone made a script to allow a DDM4000 (or any Midi mappable mixer) to behave even close to a TTM57 or Rane 68 they'd be pretty sought after. I know I'd pay for it.
I mean all some of us need is simple fader control for scratching... (wishful thinking)
Mutis 8:44 AM - 4 April, 2011
Well, we hope Serato/Ableton will put the option. It is possibe to midimap for DDM4000 on SSL? Maybe it could pass over the bridge...

In other hand manual midi mapping inside Live for 2 record channels and crossfader isn't so difficult and will do the "hack" for your mixer.
SchemeAlmighty 4:22 AM - 5 April, 2011
Yes Midi mapping is possible for sure, triggering serato cue points etc, though I dont use my DDM4k for that, I have a Traktor Kontrol X1 that does everything I need for the most part. I have recorded sets using the Bridge and Ableton with my DDM4K and all the songs are in place separately same way as described with I think is great... but you can still hear all the backtracking of the record and horrible atte,pts to get the mix in time because the crossfader movements arent recognized.

I thought about midi mapping in ableton to automate the X-fader but, I'd lose the ability to use serato the way it was intended I'd think? I'm not so sure it would work... =/
Mutis 9:35 AM - 6 April, 2011
Ok.

Then you could check the Live.app/content/resources/midi remote scripts/

Inside it you will find one "user" customizable where xfade is avaliable (or must be).

;)
SchemeAlmighty 9:55 AM - 6 April, 2011
I'll definitely look into this. Thanks. :)
BleedR 9:32 AM - 16 April, 2011
To be honest I'm pretty disappointed that no 3rd MIDI support is available :/

I mean I can get video mixing with the faders on a Pioneer working, I'm pretty sure not to buy a RANE mixer for some stupid mixtapes that I used to make my whole life without pc editing ;)

Editing the MIDI files and stuff can do the trick I guess... I remember my DENON controller's buttons couldn't be assigned the way that they were then with a custom midi mapping from serato/denon.
Dj JesC 2:00 AM - 23 April, 2011
hey guys I figured out how to send the midi info from my djm-700 to live check the link below. serato.com
mr187 5:32 AM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:
Sure, but they are too pricey for my budget at this point... Had I known Rane mixers included Serato I would have purchased one prior to buying SL3. Its kind of pointless to go out and buy a mixer for me in that price range just for automation.

I feel you I can't afford a 57 or 68 at the moment what I am having to do is record in tracktor on a second laptop whick kinda suck as mistakes can't be edited out like in ableton
mr187 5:33 AM - 19 October, 2011
using sl-1
Al-Ski Love 4:01 AM - 13 June, 2013
Just found this thread and I'm using an SL4 and a Denon DN-X1600. For the sync solution I midi mapped a push button on the mixer to the SSL record button and the Ableton record and play buttons.

One Ableton note that might not have been mentioned yet...you want to assign your left and right deck to an A or B Ableton fader assignment in Session view. Arrangement view on the right side of the screen shows the deck and track assignments. Mine are showing Deck 1 as tracks 2 and 3 and Deck 2 as tracks 4 and 5. In Session view I clicked A for both 2 and 3 and I clicked B for 4 and 5.
SchemeAlmighty 2:43 PM - 19 June, 2013
Gave in and copped a 68 last year for $900. :)