DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Custom CV's

2Seven 7:07 PM - 23 January, 2011
Any mods done to your Clear CV's....this means stickers, slip mats, spray paint, fluorescent paint. I want pics, details on products used, tips, do's and don'ts. To quote Dub on this:

"show off your collection.

Pics or it doesn't exist.

Haters need not apply."
lumas13 7:14 PM - 23 January, 2011
Victim Def Jam
www.flickr.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:22 PM - 23 January, 2011
Sick!!! Tracking this thread.
jwagner 7:26 PM - 23 January, 2011
tracking
Dubplate10" 7:27 PM - 23 January, 2011
Marked
Jensen Määäm 7:38 PM - 23 January, 2011
I just talked to my brother and told him about spraypainting Serato CVs...he said, be careful if you do it, don't put to much paint on them. What is your experience?
jbnyc 8:19 PM - 23 January, 2011
*running to home depot to buy 3 krylon cans*
anthracite98 8:35 PM - 23 January, 2011
Thanks 2Seven! Tracking. Going to work on washing a label today. Will post pics when finished and then more when painted
Jensen Määäm 8:47 PM - 23 January, 2011
^Did you see my post yesterday about taking labels off? I found an article online and they used a hair dryer...
WarpNote 9:12 PM - 23 January, 2011
Jensen,
you wont be able to remove labels using that method you posted.
The labels are pressed into the vinyl, its not a regular sticker...
Yes, I've tried...

You're better much better off putting label stickers on top of labels.

Lumas, thats cool, maybe I should try the opposite...
2Seven 9:16 PM - 23 January, 2011
Surely the best way of removing labels is the OG way.....in a batch with lukewarm water?
2Seven 9:22 PM - 23 January, 2011
and by 'in a batch' I meant in a bath....stupid predictive text on my mobile!
DJ Deebar 9:23 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
and by 'in a batch' I meant in a bath....stupid predictive text on my mobile!

Ahahaha... I am also confused, in a batch of lukewarm water.. good thing you corrected it.. :D
WarpNote 9:36 PM - 23 January, 2011
Well, all i can say, I've tried lukewarm water, solvents and the label is "ball & chain married" to the plastic, it wont come entirely off without ruining the vinyl.
If anyone have removed them successfully, leaving a clean plastic surface, please show me. (Pictures or it don't exist...)
DJWALDO 9:43 PM - 23 January, 2011
Yea at this point I'm way more interested in how the painting of the vinyl has turned out versus the ability remove a label which is pretty much made to practically never come off. Come on... people have tried this...
WarpNote 9:46 PM - 23 January, 2011
My point exactly...
Jensen Määäm 9:47 PM - 23 January, 2011
I remeber back in the days, some of the labels came off my vinyl easily, sometimes there were more than just one label on it...of course it's easier to slap one on top, but maybe you want them all off, like I would like to see some of the CVs with no label on...
2Seven 9:50 PM - 23 January, 2011
you mean like this:

i1035.photobucket.com
Jensen Määäm 9:58 PM - 23 January, 2011
Yep, like this Stuart. But I wouldn't take the label off the GC marble purples...I want it off the Def Jams.
2Seven 10:07 PM - 23 January, 2011
Slightly presumptuous there Jens!
roman a 10:39 PM - 23 January, 2011
looks like a sa-ra lavender
Jensen Määäm 10:42 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:

I'm sorry, if you feel offended. You can do what you want to do, but I don't think that I was presumptuous.
DJ_Phenom 12:01 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, if you feel offended. You can do what you want to do, but I don't think that I was presumptuous.

I think he means that it is presumptuous to assume its a GC purple
2Seven 12:03 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I think he means that it is presumptuous to assume its a GC purple

or that I took it off in the first instance
Jensen Määäm 12:19 AM - 24 January, 2011
Stuart, I'm sorry.
2Seven 12:21 AM - 24 January, 2011
haha, no worries Jens...all good!
Mike_P 12:26 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Victim Def Jam
www.flickr.com

dope! how'd you do that?
lumas13 12:32 AM - 24 January, 2011
I just place a piece of electrical tape on my marker (Snoopy Sticker) across the record then painted it
blackavenger 12:37 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Any mods done to your Clear CV's....this means stickers, slip mats, spray paint, fluorescent paint. I want pics, details on products used, tips, do's and don'ts. To quote Dub on this:

"show off your collection.

Pics or it doesn't exist.

Haters need not apply."

Cool....I do feel modding does deserve it's own thread. Let's hope this catches on.
Mike_P 12:45 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
I just place a piece of electrical tape on my marker (Snoopy Sticker) across the record then painted it

the paint doesnt interfere with the grooves?
Jensen Määäm 12:47 AM - 24 January, 2011
No, Mike. The spraypainted site is ruined than, can't use it anymore. The other side only.
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:55 AM - 24 January, 2011
The labels can be removed. Ask Kool DJ Sheak One about it.
Mike_P 2:39 AM - 24 January, 2011
Ah! Gotcha. Thanks
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:12 AM - 24 January, 2011
Peeling is an artform...

check my custom clear joints in action:

whitelabel.net

also got those glow in the dark markers!

s110.photobucket.com
BERTO 3:22 AM - 24 January, 2011
You can try plastic razor blades to take labels off....www.google.com
sacrilicious 9:28 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
also got those glow in the dark markers!

s110.photobucket.com

I bet those are super functional/dope looking in the booth.
feniks 2:39 PM - 24 January, 2011
Gotta say...not a big fan of mutilating vinyl, especially if it's limited. That being said.......this has got my interest. I'm gonna lurk for a while.

*tracking*
Djaward 5:43 PM - 24 January, 2011
I put a BEETLE sticker on all my CVs. Im at work so I only have one pic right now. Sorry its bad, but I'll get better ones tonight.
sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net
Joshua Carl 6:28 PM - 24 January, 2011
labels are pretty simple if you use full-face cd labels. (they go almost all the way to
the spindle hole< they extend just a lil past the actual label)
here was my old design: sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net
the only picture i could find of them in use:
i129.photobucket.com

yeah, I was the kicked in the nuts guy for halloween.

I had fakemake make my newer ones...
sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

Im really interested in painting the backside of a CV though.
right now Im using a Tarheel Blue slipmat to make the cvs match up.
sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net
obviously, before I put the fakemake labels on.
anthracite98 10:54 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Gotta say...not a big fan of mutilating vinyl, especially if it's limited. That being said.......this has got my interest. I'm gonna lurk for a while.

*tracking*

I agree with no mutilating EXTREMELY limited vinyl, but remember just playing records destroys them, so if its vinyl you're going to play out with, why not make it unique -> stickers, paint etc.

With that said, I'm only putting stickers on inexpensive vinyl, or limited vinyl i have SEVERAL copies of (sky blue king breaks, sa-ra, Chicos, etc). As far as paint, I would only paint the clears. They are $9-$15 each. that is replaceable to me. I wouldn't paint Def Jams as they are basically $20-$25 each, and the point of those is the tracks on the other side...

my 2 cents...
Audio1 11:01 PM - 24 January, 2011
WHAT KIND OF PAINT works for painting CV's? I was always under the impression that adhering paint to CV's would cause tracking issues with the timecode?!?!?
jbnyc 11:01 PM - 24 January, 2011
how can i tell if a clear vinyl has an old label or the new one? are the sleeves printed different? anyone has pics? i want to buy few clears with the old label and i dont think they'll let me open up all the sleeves @ GC lol
2Seven 11:04 PM - 24 January, 2011
If you're going to paint them, why don't you go the whole hog and print your own labels too?
Joshua Carl 11:04 PM - 24 January, 2011
you paint the non-tracking side of a clear vinyl.

(essentially making on side useless...)
I imagine you would have to use a glossy paint, perhaps with a coat
of gloss sealant so it still slips nicely on the slip mat.

Im considering messing with this
Ill report back with results.
Joshua Carl 11:04 PM - 24 January, 2011
One Side*
Audio1 11:11 PM - 24 January, 2011
Makes sense
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:12 PM - 24 January, 2011
Old labels haven't been around for a long time.

The sleeves have a "clear vinyl" round sticker in the bottom left corner and a red diagonal band the say "second edition" in the top right corner

The new clears have a silver/gray diagonal band on the top right corner that says "clear vinyl"

There is a variation betweet the two that may still be sitting in bins. That sleeve has two bands in the top right comer, one silver and one red. Those sleeves have EITHER new or old labels clears in them. Have fun checking those if you find them.

Clears also vary in transparency. There are actually two different kinds of clear use for records. One is crystal clear like the Def Jams and the other is milky like the stones throws. The Serato CV in clear come both ways.
Jensen Määäm 11:13 PM - 24 January, 2011
Take a look, jbnyc, comparison old label & cover and new label and cover.
img12.imageshack.us
jbnyc 11:23 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
If you're going to paint them, why don't you go the whole hog and print your own labels too?

most of my vynils like slinkies,sa-ra's,sky blues have labels with my logo, but since my favorite vinyl (yellow promos) are nowhere to be found im gonna make my own bootleg garage yellow promos, so thats why i want the OG label, my OG label clears have my logo on one side so i rather buy another set than painting over my logo,thanks :)

Quote:
Old labels haven't been around for a long time.

The sleeves have a "clear vinyl" round sticker in the bottom left corner and a red diagonal band the say "second edition" in the top right corner

The new clears have a silver/gray diagonal band on the top right corner that says "clear vinyl"

There is a variation betweet the two that may still be sitting in bins. That sleeve has two bands in the top right comer, one silver and one red. Those sleeves have EITHER new or old labels clears in them. Have fun checking those if you find them.

Clears also vary in transparency. There are actually two different kinds of clear use for records. One is crystal clear like the Def Jams and the other is milky like the stones throws. The Serato CV in clear come both ways.

thanks!! i saw those clears with the round sticker @ guitar center last week, im on my way there right now lol,thanks! (i hope i get lucky enough to get the crystal clear ones)

Quote:
Take a look, jbnyc, comparison old label & cover and new label and cover.
img12.imageshack.us

thanks a lot Jens!!!
Joshua Carl 11:25 PM - 24 January, 2011
yes, I almost flipped out on the poor guys at AGI becuase I thought they sold me 1st editions...becuase like said, they dont say "2nd edition" like all the other 2nd editions do...
Jensen Määäm 11:25 PM - 24 January, 2011
Jbnyc, if they have the old label reds there, get me a pair! I need them!
jbnyc 11:37 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Jbnyc, if they have the old label reds there, get me a pair! I need them!

i will!! ( i assume the old label reds have a round sticker too and the big letter sleeve also,right?)

anyone else want something while im there?? a 68 perhaps? XD
Jensen Määäm 11:39 PM - 24 January, 2011
Exactly, ScratchLive written in biger letters and in two lines, sticker saying red vinyl on it, red band saying second edition in the right upper corner.
jbnyc 11:51 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Exactly, ScratchLive written in biger letters and in two lines, sticker saying red vinyl on it, red band saying second edition in the right upper corner.

got it
Jensen Määäm 11:53 PM - 24 January, 2011
The old label covers + stickers are all the same, for green, gold, black, clear, blue and red. And there is that big ass Rane print (white) in the right bottom corner. The back of the cover looks different too.
lumas13 12:04 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

*tracking*

I agree with no mutilating EXTREMELY limited vinyl, but remember just playing records destroys them, so if its vinyl you're going to play out with, why not make it unique -> stickers, paint etc.

With that said, I'm only putting stickers on inexpensive vinyl, or limited vinyl i have SEVERAL copies of (sky blue king breaks, sa-ra, Chicos, etc). As far as paint, I would only paint the clears. They are $9-$15 each. that is replaceable to me. I wouldn't paint Def Jams as they are basically $20-$25 each, and the point of those is the tracks on the other side...

my 2 cents...

Its not like the Def Jam tracks are the best that Def Jam has to offer
anthracite98 1:47 AM - 25 January, 2011
^^that's true, but its a $ thing at that point. I'll always be able to sell sealed Def Jams for $30-$50 if i'm super broke, but clears? no. So i'll just buy a few more clears, muck em up a little (stickers AND paint), and use those. I mean if you already own 3 pairs of Def jams, sure...but I only have 2 sets and wont be buying more.

And even though the Def Jam tracks are just ok, they will get any pop/hip hop DJ through a restart with no problem. That's just me being Devil's advocate, I hook up my iphone if I need to restart, so pressings are cool and all, but only a backup when its not my setup and there may not be an iHookup.

Quote:
WHAT KIND OF PAINT works for painting CV's? I was always under the impression that adhering paint to CV's would cause tracking issues with the timecode?!?!?

For my oranges I used Ace Glo Spray Fluorescent. Be careful to NOT get the washable stuff they often use in construction.

my gold metallic is: Rustoleum Metallic Finish

both didn't rub off at all last weekend using them all night. Slipmats are clean and they had only dried for a few hours when used. I didn't notice much slip drag either. AND I was using horrible old school Wu-Tang slipmats.

So just go buy some spray paint and try it. My pics are either above or in the other CV forum. I have some glow paint en route from amazon this or next week and will attempt pics in light and dark
Proto J 9:58 AM - 25 January, 2011
i want more old label clears, they're my every night use cv's.... but even if i find a stash of 'em somewhere online, i really like to be able to open 'em up and make sure they aren't warped down slightly on the 15 minute side and don't have much of a spin back (cuz all i use is the 15 min side).

at guitar center and sam ash, b4 i'd buy them, i would get them to let me open their clears and put 'em on a turntable and make sure they weren't warped down on the 15 min side and had plenty of spin back, lol...
DJ506 1:59 PM - 25 January, 2011
~ My clears with Fake Make labels. :)

www.facebook.com
Dj.Mojo 5:08 PM - 25 January, 2011
looks like Prince logo.
DJ506 5:30 PM - 25 January, 2011
~ It is. I'm a huge Prince fan. O(+>

:)
jbnyc 5:41 PM - 25 January, 2011
(o)(o)
djdalite 7:59 PM - 25 January, 2011
how bout this : i118.photobucket.com
anthracite98 8:34 PM - 25 January, 2011
That gives me some ideas with inverted stickers..
Dubplate10" 9:15 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:

Very good effort! How long did that take?
Joshua Carl 9:32 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:

damn, thats serious....
Rob Alahn 9:42 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

damn, thats serious....

Hot shit right there paw paw!!! Better stock up on clears. I'm not nearly as talented but the graphic artist/graffiti and tattoo artist in Vegas will certainly be hearing from me. NICELY DONE!!!!
Jensen Määäm 9:42 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

damn, seriously baby got back....

fixed
anthracite98 11:08 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:

seriously sick as hell!!

So you did the black lines first, then the entire thing white, then selective red to finish the woman and pattern bg? (thinking in reverse here...

and removing the label (since we've discussed a few methods that have been yay'ed or nay'ed)??
BERTO 11:28 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

seriously sick as hell!!

So you did the black lines first, then the entire thing white, then selective red to finish the woman and pattern bg? (thinking in reverse here...

and removing the label (since we've discussed a few methods that have been yay'ed or nay'ed)??

Just look for rc car body painting tutorials you can do some sick work on clear painting backwards, basecoats last will make your colors pop, white, silver and pearl make good last color on clears
BERTO 11:32 PM - 25 January, 2011
jbnyc 12:19 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:

what method did you used to remove both stickers?
djdalite 12:34 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

lol i gave myself to much credit - actually its not a CV, its a shitty break record, my buddy takes images online and then paints that shit ontop of the vinyl - pretty much makes it unplayable, but looks dope as hell and sits well in the studio - i think if he did a light enough coat with some clear or something it would probably be functional
jbnyc 12:46 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

lol i gave myself to much credit - actually its not a CV, its a shitty break record, my buddy takes images online and then paints that shit ontop of the vinyl - pretty much makes it unplayable, but looks dope as hell and sits well in the studio - i think if he did a light enough coat with some clear or something it would probably be functional

lol,thanks for the info! ok any good methods anyone used to take their labels off???
anthracite98 12:59 AM - 26 January, 2011
I think i'm going to put a record (regular good will donation record) in the dishwasher and see if it gets warped. if not will try a used up black CV (why do i still have it then??) then a clear.
fcprod1 4:55 PM - 27 January, 2011
So i soaked my clear vinyl for about 24hrs to try to gt the label off.. the only thing that i was able to get off was the top layer of the label. The bottom layer wont come off. Any suggestions?
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:04 PM - 27 January, 2011
goo gone, just don't get it on the grooves
blackavenger 6:17 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:

Why, will it melt them? Honest inquiry....
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:32 PM - 27 January, 2011
yes, but it may be the only way to really remove the labels.
fcprod1 7:08 PM - 27 January, 2011
no discoloring on the vinyl?
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:36 PM - 27 January, 2011
I'm quickly getting out of my league here. I haven't done it myself.
anthracite98 7:40 PM - 27 January, 2011
one question, are the new label and old labels equally hard to remove? wondering b/c I have a bunch of old label blacks that are worn to Sh*T and will do some testing on those, but if they are completely different than new label adhesion process, then its a waste of time...

still waiting on plastic razor blades to arrive from amazon...
Jensen Määäm 7:40 PM - 27 January, 2011
I'm surprised Dub, you never took a label off before.
Jensen Määäm 7:41 PM - 27 January, 2011
Ha, anthracite, I purchased 6 (new) old label blacks today, yeaaaah!
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:55 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
one question, are the new label and old labels equally hard to remove? wondering b/c I have a bunch of old label blacks that are worn to Sh*T and will do some testing on those, but if they are completely different than new label adhesion process, then its a waste of time...

The process is the same for the all the records. The paper is melted into the plastic. The only way to get it off is to melt it again which is basically what goo gone is doing.

I've covered a bunch of labels but never felt the need to remove.
fcprod1 7:57 PM - 27 January, 2011
will try tonight and let u guys know. Thanks for the info Dub!
Hi-Tek 8:11 PM - 27 January, 2011
Isn't the melted plastic (patty) bonds to the label.

If the paper is melted into the plastic, what kind of paper is it?
Joshua Carl 8:31 PM - 27 January, 2011
I know not everyone has access to one, but a PowerWasher might do the trick.
www.amazon.com

In College I worked for a painting company, and with the right nozzle these thing
can clean anything, and not totally damage the surface.
some allow for solvents & heat as well (Bleach and such)
I dont really have access to one anymore... but somone might want to try it.

the other option might be a steamer.
www.google.com
Thats a consumer grade...u might need something more powerful

just spitballing ideas
fcprod1 9:40 PM - 27 January, 2011
those sound like a good idea i just dont want to warp it with pressure and heat.
Dj BuddyLove 10:57 PM - 27 January, 2011
Jensen Määäm 11:04 PM - 27 January, 2011
Thanks BuddyLove!
Dj BuddyLove 11:05 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:

the old labels are. they seem to be alot cheaper label material.

the best i cold do on some old gold cv's.

picasaweb.google.com
picasaweb.google.com

i used my spit..hahaha
laugh if you want it works
Dj BuddyLove 11:08 PM - 27 January, 2011
^ahh hell im gonna catch heat for that one. lol
fcprod1 11:32 PM - 27 January, 2011

I saw that too but that is to take like markers or other type of stickers off of the labels. Its not to take the actual label off.
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:21 AM - 28 January, 2011
The best way to take labels off is to soak the label with goof off for about twenty minutes, then carefully razor blade that bitch off and wash the record after.
I have peeled reds, clears,golds, blacks,oranges(no sixxx) and fucked up some first run greens so be careful kids!
practice on some old ones first!
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:58 AM - 28 January, 2011
that's the info you were all waiting for^^^^
djchrischip 5:34 AM - 28 January, 2011
y not just put a sticker over the old sticker
ninos 6:20 AM - 28 January, 2011
you can get vinyl wet? like soak it and nothing with be wrong with it??? (dont flame, please)
blackavenger 6:34 AM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
you can get vinyl wet? like soak it and nothing with be wrong with it??? (dont flame, please)

Yeah, you can get vinyl wet ;)

www.enjoythemusic.com
Dj BuddyLove 6:35 AM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
The best way to take labels off is to soak the label with goof off for about twenty minutes, then carefully razor blade that bitch off and wash the record after.
I have peeled reds, clears,golds, blacks,oranges(no sixxx) and fucked up some first run greens so be careful kids!

regular razor blades or plastic ones
Proto J 11:00 AM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:

i used to use goo gone on vinyl to remove the sticky residue left by removing tape markers on my records for needle dropping routines...

don't recall it ever hurting the grooves at all.
djmallon 3:59 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:

yeah dude! I always wash my CVs with some water and dish soap.
Ingo B 5:01 PM - 28 January, 2011
^^^ Seconded. I used to wash my "real" vinyl back in the day the same way. Two things: use cold water, and DO NOT scrub. Gently...like you would treat your woman.
room213 6:18 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
Gently...like you would treat your woman.

With cold water and dish soap?

;)
blackavenger 7:45 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Gently...like you would treat your woman.

With cold water and dish soap?

;)

Funny :)
jbnyc 8:15 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:

Do you have any pics by any chance?
fcprod1 9:00 PM - 28 January, 2011
I tried the goof off and let it soak on the label for about 20 min but some of it got on the vinyl and discolored it. So i think even if it does get it off its gonna mess up the record anyways
feniks 9:17 PM - 28 January, 2011
Goof off does damage the vinyl....
Kool DJ Sheak One 12:32 AM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:

first run clears : s110.photobucket.com

reds are peeled but with my custom removable glow in da dark labels :s110.photobucket.com

@ Buddylove- Metal blades
jbnyc 2:38 AM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

reds are peeled but with my custom removable glow in da dark labels :s110.photobucket.com

@ Buddylove- Metal blades

great job on the first one!!

any tips on how NOT to get the goof off on the vinyl? i want to do this project this weekendn :) thanks in advance for the advice!!

ps: FML i bought 4 clear vinyls new label and 2 of them came with few black swirls and now my project wont look clean :( plus the clear is a little opaque, not the crystal clear like the def jams :(
Joshua Carl 6:20 PM - 29 January, 2011
Ill also got mine today...
Ill report back with some images....
RogerRabbit 7:28 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:

This looks the a portion of a face, with an eye with eyelids and eye brows... cool..
2Seven 7:47 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:

Sick slipmat bro!
Joshua Carl 8:48 PM - 29 January, 2011
fyi, turpentine works like shit.

takes the out label right off with some scraping... thats about it.
Joshua Carl 8:48 PM - 29 January, 2011
outer* (ie the black)
roman a 10:13 PM - 29 January, 2011
3M adhesive remover works like a charm
jbnyc 11:07 PM - 29 January, 2011
Ok, here is the first homemade gold records...

The victim..

i641.photobucket.com

1st layer

i641.photobucket.com

2nd layer

i641.photobucket.com

The outcome with my custom logo sticker

i641.photobucket.com

i641.photobucket.com

Now if i get those labels off the other clears without messing out the vinyl my new project would be cool...
nik39 11:34 PM - 29 January, 2011
Nice.
blackavenger 1:20 AM - 30 January, 2011

That looks great.....can't wait til' it warms up here a bit, I live in an apartment and will have to paint out in my parking lot. Lovin' these custom CVs!!!
Victor L 8:11 AM - 30 January, 2011
where it all started ... custom oranges

i863.photobucket.com

working on new ones, will have pics up soon
jbnyc 4:01 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Nice.

thanks!
Quote:

That looks great.....can't wait til' it warms up here a bit, I live in an apartment and will have to paint out in my parking lot. Lovin' these custom CVs!!!

thanks! im just wondering if there's different shades of gold spray paint...i want a more brighter gold for my other project..
RogerRabbit 6:13 PM - 30 January, 2011
Video tutorial anyone?
Jensen Määäm 6:20 PM - 30 January, 2011
^Try to convince Konix, lol.
DJ_Phenom 6:25 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Nice.

thanks!
Quote:

thanks! im just wondering if there's different shades of gold spray paint...i want a more brighter gold for my other project..

Try the metallic brass, still looks gold but is much brighter. Used it on a pair of old shoes for a costume and it looked good.
RogerRabbit 6:28 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:

Nah just need someone who's done it before to post up a vid tutorial..
With something like:

Type of paint used
How much paint used
Number of coats applied
Tips
Etc..

I am not artistic I a want to try this but I don't want to mess up anything on the first try..
DJ_Phenom 6:29 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

With something like:

Type of paint used
How much paint used
Number of coats applied
Tips
Etc..

I am not artistic I a want to try this but I don't want to mess up anything on the first try..

Isn't that half the fun?
RogerRabbit 6:32 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

With something like:

Type of paint used
How much paint used
Number of coats applied
Tips
Etc..

Isn't that half the fun?

If you could be a pack of Cv's like how you buy a pack of cd's yeah... But at $15 a cv - Nope.. Don't want to mess it up
Victor L 6:36 PM - 30 January, 2011
It really isn't that difficult or that well planned or thought out for me. I got clears, took them in the basement, sprayed one coat of rustoleum on side B, 20 minutes later they were done and looked great. I've used them 15 times this year and even just leave them on the TT when closing my coffin. No issues whatsoever.

For my second set I am thinking of taping my logo on side B, spraying the backgroung with white or maybe try and find a neon orange that is activated by black lights, then take off the tape and spray in the logo black. Once I get started I'll take pics of the process and post the results.
Kool DJ Sheak One 8:44 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Sick slipmat bro!

thanks, this one is sicker:

i110.photobucket.com
jbnyc 8:54 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Nice.

thanks!
Quote:

Thank you! Ill try it..

Try the metallic brass, still looks gold but is much brighter. Used it on a pair of old shoes for a costume and it looked good.
2Seven 9:41 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sick slipmat bro!

thanks, this one is sicker:

i110.photobucket.com

Fair point....it is sicker!
Jensen Määäm 9:46 PM - 30 January, 2011
Sounds like Luda...
your slipmat is sick,
but my is sicker...

I know they all belonging to Kool Sheak, just saying'...
How die you painted them, Sheak?
anthracite98 9:49 PM - 30 January, 2011
^^ Sheak is saying his second SLIPMAT is sicker. That is not painted CV... see all the veiny wrinkles (misquote:go!)
Jensen Määäm 9:58 PM - 30 January, 2011
Should I ask: how did you painted the slipmat? I know that it's not a painted CV, but sombody painted the slipmat...
I even wrote: I know that both slipmats are belonging to Kool Sheak...and he said his second slipmat is sicker...
No misquote anthracite, more kind of misunderstanding, huh?
anthracite98 10:04 PM - 30 January, 2011
I gotcha, sorry about that; I see what you mean.

Are they painted or custom printed?

{and misquote was about the "veiny" comment...seems like easy fodder for Bezzle or someone...}
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:43 PM - 30 January, 2011
Those are custom drawn on.
One offs done on Frosted Plates!
anthracite98 10:45 PM - 30 January, 2011
SICK!
BERTO 10:46 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Those are custom drawn on.
One offs done on Frosted Plates!

Carbon pencil? Pen?
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:48 PM - 30 January, 2011
Thin permanent marker
BERTO 1:00 AM - 31 January, 2011
www.sakuraofamerica.com like these? I have a bunch
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:23 AM - 31 January, 2011
Those of you who are making custom labels with "Markers".

Are you setting the marker to the "REAL" cue point on the vinyl?
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:57 AM - 31 January, 2011
controlrecordguide.com

this is going to become real important in the near future
anthracite98 1:59 AM - 31 January, 2011
^^ why will this become more important?
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:04 AM - 31 January, 2011
there might be some new features in the works that will only work right if you have your markers set-up correctly.
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:05 AM - 31 January, 2011
or they might already be there
BERTO 2:12 AM - 31 January, 2011
Yea but if you hit a cue point button it doesnt mats up to your mark unless you hit it at that point where your marker is where you want it to be might be off time....correct me if im wrong
BERTO 2:13 AM - 31 January, 2011
Mats = match
BERTO 2:23 AM - 31 January, 2011
I saw your vid dub, i knew that in absolute mode but it wont work in relative mode say your 12 oclock marker is at 6 on turntable and you trigger a cue it will mess up marker position
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:06 AM - 31 January, 2011
yep, you are correct

but if you used "drop to cue", you could have the cue point line up exactly with the mark on your record every time.

or say you have your tracks load to the first cue. What if your track loaded with the first cue point exactly on the mark of your record.

or if you instant double....what if you could have the doubled record line up to the same marker position as the first record.
BERTO 3:12 AM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:
yep, you are correct

but if you used "drop to cue", you could have the cue point line up exactly with the mark on your record every time.

or say you have your tracks load to the first cue. What if your track loaded with the first cue point exactly on the mark of your record.

or if you instant double....what if you could have the doubled record line up to the same marker position as the first record.

Problem with drop to cue is it requires a needle pick up , and if you scratched on o e record and then instant double it may not be excactly same timing on marker when. Song is loaded up, i see what youre getting at with markers matching cue points, time for a see through slipmat with custom led platter to mark cues on platter according to record position!!!!
jbnyc 3:57 AM - 31 January, 2011
So i finally took both labels from both clears and this is what i experienced...

I thought that getting the "first layer" off was gonna be the easiest part and removing the white residue was going to be the hardest.......WRONG!

once you get the first layer off you can just soak a rag with hot water and let it sit on the white sticker residue for a few minutes and then just rub it off with the same wet rag (it works with your finger tip and saliva also lol trust me thats how i started but changed the strategy cause it was kind of nasty.

The first layer was a bitch to remove,i let that goo gone sit for 15 min and did nothing to the label,so i peeled the first layer off starting my way from the hole out,i used a swiss army knife to remove little 1/4 inch pieces and very carefully not to scratch the record,it took me like 3 or 4 hours to finish (ill never do this again) i even have a blister lol ok this is the way they look,i was a little disapointed that under the label the vinyl isnt clear,its kinda frosted,here is a pic

i641.photobucket.com

Ill go ahead and paint my new clears right now with a rustolium gold can,the first set i did it with a gold krylon,i hope this will look better,pics coming soon!
Joshua Carl 4:03 AM - 31 January, 2011
I found the exact opposite man.

I soaked the label in terpentine, and used a straight blade glass scraper.
(ya know...what they use to get stickers off your winshield 2.50 @ HomeDepot)

I got the outer layer off only after 5 minutes of soaking.
blade popped it right off.

then I soaked the white paper in terpentine for like 2 hours
(trying every 15 minutes to scrape some more off...no dice)
jbnyc 4:29 AM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:
I found the exact opposite man.

I soaked the label in terpentine, and used a straight blade glass scraper.
(ya know...what they use to get stickers off your winshield 2.50 @ HomeDepot)

I got the outer layer off only after 5 minutes of soaking.
blade popped it right off.

then I soaked the white paper in terpentine for like 2 hours
(trying every 15 minutes to scrape some more off...no dice)

WOW,try the wwt rag,once you get it of a little just rub it like pushing the edge like to make little rolls and it'll take you 2 minutes to take it off,post some pics if possible...
jbnyc 4:19 PM - 31 January, 2011
Here's a little video on how to get the white stuff off just with hot water and a rag

static.photobucket.com

Also im taking the idiot of the year award lol i placed a 2 liter cap under the record to raise it a little so the edge of the record wouldnt get glued on with the surface when painting it, somehow the record got oversprayed underneath so now i got to take off that paint and only rubbing alcohol works,is it bad to take that off with rubbing alcohol? Will it damage the vinyl?

So be carefull when spraypainting....
Joshua Carl 4:33 PM - 31 January, 2011
Ha...i guess i was just too lazy. thanks JB.
Dj.Mojo 5:10 PM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:

Also im taking the idiot of the year award lol i placed a 2 liter crap under the record to raise it a little so the edge of the record wouldnt get glued on with the surface when painting it,

Interesting way of doing things.
tehBEN 10:08 PM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:
Here's a little video on how to get the white stuff off just with hot water and a rag

no misquote needed.
Joshua Carl 10:17 PM - 31 January, 2011
Eff that... make her walk home with a Santa Sanchez

Quote:
Quote:

no misquote needed.
tehBEN 10:24 PM - 31 January, 2011
lol
jbnyc 11:05 PM - 31 January, 2011
lol
roman a 12:15 AM - 1 February, 2011
3m adhesive remover

solutions.3m.com

www.autogeek.net

this will take no more than 10 min for a pair,works good for overspray too,
use it in the shop all the time
works awesome for all sorts of things
crud thudd works well also for label removal
jbnyc 12:51 AM - 1 February, 2011
AWESOME! Thanks Roman!
Joshua Carl 2:37 AM - 1 February, 2011
I open that link.

my wife walks by and see's the 3m bottle...
"isnt that the stuff I told you to get the other day to do this"

such an Archie Bunker moment!
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:49 AM - 1 February, 2011
Quote:
I open that link.

doh!
anthracite98 4:26 AM - 1 February, 2011
Quote:
I open that link.

hahahahaha, awesome!
roman a 10:59 PM - 1 February, 2011
the crud thud will take the paint off an aluminum soda pop can clean and
leave not a mark
incredible
will remove labels in seconds and leave a beautiful finish
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:45 AM - 2 February, 2011
I was really tempted in the spray can aisle today....but I must stay focused.....

I was there for toilet repair supplies. Custom CVs can wait.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:46 AM - 2 February, 2011
Ha, I just had 2 toilets installed today.
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:47 AM - 2 February, 2011
yeah, well I dropped the head of a mechanical toothbrush into a flushing toilet

I wish I was in your shoes
DJ TOGTFO 3:13 AM - 2 February, 2011
I just went simple and clean and "white labeled" some black CV's

img.photobucket.com
SK1 7:14 AM - 2 February, 2011
I might have to order some clears, because my GC never seems to have them. Just picked up a pair of the black CV's though.

So far I've seen you guys talking about Rusto and Krylon... but has anyone tried Montana paints? They're artist cans, and have a wide variety of colors and shades. I personally prefer them for anything that I spray paint that has to look nice. You can achieve a nice high quality even spray with these cans and a medium or fat cap.

They tend to cost twice as much as your normal spray paints, but look more than twice as nice. I'm going to try it as soon as I can get the clears, I've already got a nice collection of Montana.

www.montana-cans.com
Jensen Määäm 10:42 AM - 2 February, 2011
If somebody needs a clear for a test run...there is a single clear with the most beatup cover on earth sittin' on US esway for weeks now (that's the cheapest clear I've seen so far)...beside that, that place is packed with other ppl selling clears, you'll find what your GC doesn't have...
feniks 2:14 PM - 2 February, 2011
Yeah...that cover is MINT!! Lol.
blackavenger 7:09 PM - 2 February, 2011
A Heads Up to those seeking Clears. Price match PSSL to your preferred vendor. I got 4 pairs for $109 shipped! I used Zzounds because the shipping was only $6 for 2 DAY (AIR) shipping to the East Coast.

And please, spare me the IBTL comments.......I am in NO WAY affiliated w' PSSL or Zzounds!
Jensen Määäm 7:20 PM - 2 February, 2011
Good job, blackavenger!
jbnyc 7:27 PM - 2 February, 2011
Wow,thats a great price,good to know,thanks!
fcprod1 8:48 PM - 2 February, 2011
Quote:
A Heads Up to those seeking Clears. Price match PSSL to your preferred vendor. I got 4 pairs for $109 shipped! I used Zzounds because the shipping was only $6 for 2 DAY (AIR) shipping to the East Coast.

And please, spare me the IBTL comments.......I am in NO WAY affiliated w' PSSL or Zzounds!

Good find!
i just spent $57 for 2 pairs @ AGI
CMOS 10:26 PM - 2 February, 2011
LOL@dudes rocking four finger caps to paint a rekkid.
2Seven 8:54 PM - 8 February, 2011
I'm guessing as it was superbowl weekend, no custom jobs to report on huh?!
Jensen Määäm 8:57 PM - 8 February, 2011
^Give 'em a day or two, Stuart, they just waking up...
ninos 8:58 PM - 8 February, 2011
mine are coming, there coming.
BERTO 8:59 PM - 8 February, 2011
i would airbrush some if i had extra clears, im a broke dude but will get some painted when i buy some fresh clears, dont know what theme to go with, thinking a pearl silver and purple.... medusa blog.ratestogo.com
BERTO 9:01 PM - 8 February, 2011
green and purple not silver
2Seven 9:05 PM - 8 February, 2011
nice, sounds good berto...would you go for marbling/mottling or a specific design?
fcprod1 9:17 PM - 8 February, 2011
Couldnt find any more Sa-Ra lavs so.................

(sorry for the bad quality on the photo)
i254.photobucket.com

i254.photobucket.com
BERTO 9:18 PM - 8 February, 2011
Quote:
nice, sounds good berto...would you go for marbling/mottling or a specific design?

specific design like i625.photobucket.com
BERTO 9:20 PM - 8 February, 2011
inspired by this www.autobody101.com
fcprod1 9:22 PM - 8 February, 2011
anyone have any success on removing the labels yet?
2Seven 9:26 PM - 8 February, 2011
Quote:
inspired by this www.autobody101.com

Looks good man. I'm looking forward to some next level ish, people playing with more than 1 colour...
BERTO 9:27 PM - 8 February, 2011
that autobody link is not my work but the business card technique is awesome and easy to do and looks sick
Joshua Carl 3:07 AM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
anyone have any success on removing the labels yet?

The 3m remover + copious amounts of elbow grease seem to do the trick.
I also incorporated a brass bruch, just to scratch up the surface of the label
so the liquid will saturate the paper faster.
blackavenger 3:35 AM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
The 3m remover

I can't find what Y'all are talking about on Google.....it would help if I knew the exact name of the product. Can someone post a link to the product's page. Thanks.
Joshua Carl 3:38 AM - 9 February, 2011
www.drillspot.com

obviously you dont need the 5 Gallon jug for 90.00
blackavenger 3:41 AM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
www.drillspot.com

obviously you dont need the 5 Gallon jug for 90.00

Thanks, Bro.
ninos 9:43 PM - 9 February, 2011
where do you guys spray paint you cv's? i wanna do it in the garage, but my garage isint heated and i dont wanna go out there because dont you need a certain temp for the paint to cure? i cant do it in my house it will stank up and my mom will kill me. damn
2Seven 10:02 PM - 9 February, 2011
ninos, think about the graff writers out in sub zero temperatures at night. spray paint doesn't need any special temperature to dry. you can do it in your garden bro.
dj red 10:58 PM - 9 February, 2011
2Seven 11:06 PM - 9 February, 2011
^Link Fail
tehBEN 11:15 PM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
^Link Fail
dj red 11:16 PM - 9 February, 2011
works for me what does it say?
dj red 11:17 PM - 9 February, 2011
www.facebook.com

that work?
2Seven 11:18 PM - 9 February, 2011
That's more like it bro! NICE!
BERTO 11:18 PM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
www.facebook.com

that work?

Yea looks good
2Seven 11:19 PM - 9 February, 2011
What paint you use for them dj red?
Jensen Määäm 11:23 PM - 9 February, 2011
That's a nice blue!
dj red 11:25 PM - 9 February, 2011
thanks guys lowes does that color match stuff right.... well now they can do it for spray paint any color you want! POW!!! LOL
feniks 12:50 AM - 10 February, 2011
Stokyo delivered today...and some Yo MTV Raps cards to boot.

a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net
feniks 12:50 AM - 10 February, 2011
oopss...disregard that. wrong thread.
jbnyc 12:56 AM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
oopss...disregard that. wrong thread.

hahahahaha
djchase 1:20 AM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Stokyo delivered today...and some Yo MTV Raps cards to boot.

a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

custom man dont show off here

ppfft double poster
feniks 1:34 AM - 10 February, 2011
i know....i'm tracking this thread and the CV thread and i opened this by accident.
Victor L 7:07 PM - 11 February, 2011
1st coat of paint is drying, needs another coat and once its dry I'll take a pic and post it.

watching paint dry is as fun as it sounds
Ingo B 7:25 PM - 11 February, 2011
^^^hahaha^^^ Post Of The Year.
Victor L 12:18 AM - 12 February, 2011
They are finally done. Came out even better than I imagined they would. Uploading photos to photobucket now... 20% done

yeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEE (excited like a little kid)
Victor L 12:27 AM - 12 February, 2011
Here it is ....

Lights ON: i863.photobucket.com

Lights OFF: i863.photobucket.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 12:29 AM - 12 February, 2011
wow, that's dope!!!!
Jensen Määäm 12:30 AM - 12 February, 2011
^Cool, respect, good job!
Victor L 12:33 AM - 12 February, 2011
RogerRabbit 12:35 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Here it is ....

Best mod so far...
RogerRabbit 12:36 AM - 12 February, 2011

Send me a pair...
Joshua Carl 12:38 AM - 12 February, 2011
serious work!

which paint is that?
Im about to paint mine too... but still debating on a 2nd color
Dj BuddyLove 12:52 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
wow, that's dope!!!!

+1
nik39 12:55 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Here it is ....

Best mod so far...

+1
tehBEN 1:25 AM - 12 February, 2011
+2
ninos 1:28 AM - 12 February, 2011
+3 they look unreal
Dj Farhan 1:29 AM - 12 February, 2011
take that traktor CVs! ;-P `
DJ_Phenom 1:46 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:

But traktor users never had to resort to this...
Dj Farhan 1:48 AM - 12 February, 2011
ahh whatever...;-P
RogerRabbit 1:53 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

But traktor users never had to resort to this...

haha true..
jbnyc 1:56 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
+3 they look unreal

+4
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:28 AM - 12 February, 2011
is that a black light makin them pop?
looks far out man!
room213 11:02 AM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

But traktor users would never have to brains to do this...

fixed ;)
jbnyc 4:48 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
is that a black light makin them pop?
looks far out man!

Thats what i was thinking cause even the label's letters look like they glow in the dark..
Victor L 5:21 PM - 12 February, 2011
Yes blacklight, fluorescent paint with a blacklight is much brighter and lasts as long as the light is on versus having to recharge glow in the dark paint. Out last night:

i863.photobucket.com
feniks 9:42 PM - 12 February, 2011
Just FYI...glow in the dark paint also fluoresces under the black light. You could have the best of both....glows under the backlight yet continues to glow when you turn the light off. Just saying...
Joshua Carl 10:34 PM - 12 February, 2011
www.clearneon.com

goes on clear, lights up w blacklight.
Victor L 6:56 PM - 13 February, 2011
^ OMg I wish I would have found that instead of the brush on type. May have to have another go at it.
jevo9 7:10 PM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:
www.clearneon.com

goes on clear, lights up w blacklight.

wonder how that would look!
Joshua Carl 7:11 PM - 13 February, 2011
Ill let ya'll know in about a week
Victor L 8:23 PM - 13 February, 2011
haha, which color you going with? I'm thinking red or a blue would look good because of the lights on my technics.
Dj BuddyLove 5:30 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
^ OMg I wish I would have found that instead of the brush on type. May have to have another go at it.

FYI,
Woolite is clear with lights on glow with black light.
www.atsko.com
i have a black studio room and i dipped a paint brush in it flicked the bristles around the wall. instant space atmosphere w/ lights off & black light on. :)
jbnyc 5:40 PM - 14 February, 2011
Pics^^^^
Dj BuddyLove 6:01 PM - 14 February, 2011
ive tried to take pics in the past w/ my cheapo cam.
you cant really see anything..
try it trust me
jbnyc 9:02 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
try it trust me

i believe you, just wanted to see how bright it looks :)
Dj BuddyLove 3:31 AM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

try it trust me

i believe you, just wanted to see how bright it looks :)

its pretty bright
room213 7:45 PM - 15 February, 2011
I think I've found some decent glow in the dark paint at a local d.i.y. shop. It claims to glow for 4-5 hours after being exposed to white light for 30 mins.

Now I have to wait for some new clears to arrive.
jbnyc 9:13 PM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
I think I've found some decent glow in the dark paint at a local d.i.y. shop. It claims to glow for 4-5 hours after being exposed to white light for 30 mins.

Now I have to wait for some new clears to arrive.

awesome!! what brand is the paint? im interested!!
BERTO 9:17 PM - 15 February, 2011
Just saying Serato....make them for sale! And not limited either
Victor L 10:52 PM - 15 February, 2011
Just a warning on the glow in the dark paint, per the owner at the first site that comes up when you google "glow in the dark paint." They said fluorescents lit with black light will be much brighter, especially if you aren't a very dark room. Green glow in the dark is the brightest and lasts the longest so maybe that is the color you are after, I personally wanted white. Just a tip. Either way post a pic!
room213 12:36 AM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:

awesome!! what brand is the paint? im interested!!

Here is the link:

www.diy.com

Thanks for the heads up Victor, green is the colour I was going for as I have had a Kraftwerk 12" that is green glow in the dark since the early 80's and wanted to replicate that with CVs.
djbanno 2:56 AM - 16 February, 2011
Quote:
Just saying Serato....make them for sale! And not limited either

+1
BERTO 12:38 AM - 17 February, 2011
Kind of sad we have resorted to spray painting cvs lol
blackavenger 12:52 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:

I rather like the idea.......now we get to have whichever color "we" choose.
BERTO 12:54 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I rather like the idea.......now we get to have whichever color "we" choose.

I agree with that but you loosea side, and they can just make the colors and well buy them....granted they are not limited and sell out on presale
BERTO 12:55 AM - 17 February, 2011
Kind of ghetto we are spraypainting our cvs lol
Joshua Carl 1:24 AM - 17 February, 2011
I spray-painted a cvs

1.bp.blogspot.com
blackavenger 2:38 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
I agree with that but you loosea side, and they can just make the colors and well buy them....granted they are not limited and sell out on presale

I only use the 15min. side anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me.
DJ_Phenom 4:28 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I only use the 15min. side anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I actually prefer the 10min side for the larger grooves
blackavenger 9:49 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
I actually prefer the 10min side for the larger grooves

Cool....to each their own :)
blackavenger 9:56 AM - 17 February, 2011
I like spinning on 45rpm (reminds me of my old DnB vinyl), thus the 15min. side affords me more time (in REL) before it engages INT Mode. Sometimes with really long tunes (like Atmospheric DnB), the 10min side ends too quickly.......whatever, it's all about personal preference. That's the beauty of DVS....we have options now ;)
Dubplate10" 11:11 AM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
I like spinning on 45rpm (reminds me of my old DnB vinyl), thus the 15min. side affords me more time (in REL) before it engages INT Mode. Sometimes with really long tunes (like Atmospheric DnB), the 10min side ends too quickly.......whatever, it's all about personal preference. That's the beauty of DVS....we have options now ;)

Cant beat a nice 10min Good Look Records track ;)
blackavenger 1:57 PM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
Cant beat a nice 10min Good Look Records track ;)

Love Good Looking Records :)
Kool DJ Sheak One 4:55 PM - 17 February, 2011
Looking Good Records are good too :)
Dubplate10" 5:07 PM - 17 February, 2011
oh yes Looking Good :)
blackavenger 8:47 PM - 17 February, 2011
Quote:
Looking Good Records are good too :)

Indeed. Do Y'all like Cookin' Records as well?
Got just about all of the Cookin', GLR, and LGR tracks......all on vinyl :)
I've since recorded them to FLAC. (hafta' mix them in ALAC though)

Watchwww.youtube.com ......back when a track had time to present itself ;)
Dubplate10" 9:31 PM - 17 February, 2011
Yes mate, I have all the LGR & GLR on vinyl and a few TP's & Dubs to boot ;)
Victor L 11:14 PM - 17 February, 2011
Labels arrived today. Put them on my Orange CVs and am going to put them on the glow in the dark pair as well.

Here is them on my OJs:

i863.photobucket.com
fcprod1 11:22 PM - 17 February, 2011
niice! real clean
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 3:22 PM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
Yes blacklight, fluorescent paint with a blacklight is much brighter and lasts as long as the light is on versus having to recharge glow in the dark paint. Out last night:

i863.photobucket.com

How are you using the discs with paint on them? I want to do the same thing.
Jensen Määäm 3:37 PM - 19 February, 2011
^The paint is on the backside and becuase you spray paint clear vinyl, the colour shines through...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:21 PM - 19 February, 2011
Clears are gonna be extinct in a minute...
Jensen Määäm 4:26 PM - 19 February, 2011
You predicted that a while ago already, but nothing happened...
clears are still available in retail, on ebay,...still the same price...
maybe the hype of diy is not big enough yet, maybe there are just not enough epople who are willing to spray paint to make your prediction come true...
we will see
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:58 PM - 19 February, 2011
Are the OG Clears extinct?
Jensen Määäm 7:01 PM - 19 February, 2011
They are out of print and hard to find these days...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:33 PM - 19 February, 2011
Hmmm...maybe they are now...

I wonder if all the NEW Clears are as heavy as reported here...
blackavenger 6:01 AM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Clears are gonna be extinct in a minute...

I bought a bunch ;)
sacrilicious 9:37 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
Hmmm...maybe they are now...

I wonder if all the NEW Clears are as heavy as reported here...

Even if not, they will be once you add a layer of paint
Rob Alahn 5:01 PM - 22 February, 2011
Just spreading the word...please show your love and support!

serato.com
D-Twizzle 1:45 AM - 27 February, 2011
Here's my fluorescent pinks..

no flash: img39.imageshack.us
flash: img251.imageshack.us
video: blog.betatesterz.com
in the video there's a black light directly over the left turntable, doesn't shine much over the right turntable.
ninos 6:34 AM - 27 February, 2011
soooooooooo sick!!! wat kinda paint/how do they track?!
Kool DJ Sheak One 9:26 AM - 27 February, 2011
im sure they track fine since the paint is underneath the record.
jbnyc 2:56 PM - 27 February, 2011
This is the second gold custom record i've done,on the first one i used krylon and on this one rust-oleum paint (the gold rust oleum paint looks way batter IMO) here are the step by steps with my logo in the middle...

reverse logo stickers..

i641.photobucket.com

gold paint over...

i641.photobucket.com

carefully peel off the decals..

i641.photobucket.com

black paint over..

i641.photobucket.com

i did another gold layer over the black just to make it look better on the paint side..

and this is how it looks...

i641.photobucket.com

a video in action....

Watchwww.youtube.com
BERTO 2:59 PM - 27 February, 2011
^ sick, thats how its done!
Jensen Määäm 3:03 PM - 27 February, 2011
How did you get the label off, jbnyc?
jbnyc 3:12 PM - 27 February, 2011
Quote:

thanks!!

Quote:
How did you get the label off, jbnyc?

i just peeled the tip of an edge corner with my nail and pull it slowly and it came off smooth,i did 2 layers of gold paint,i guess if you do more layers it will be harder to peel off the decal...o wait..lol you mean the serato label? if thats how you meant i just let some water sit on the first layer of the label and peel it off (the first layer was the harder for me) then with a wet rag just like rolling the dges it comes off quick... i did a video i posted earlier,somewhere up there ^^^
Jensen Määäm 3:19 PM - 27 February, 2011
Yep, I meant the original Serato label.
Good work!
Dj BuddyLove 5:42 PM - 27 February, 2011
Quote:

sweetness!
Dj BuddyLove 5:42 PM - 27 February, 2011
Quote:

in the video there's a black light directly over the left turntable, doesn't shine much over the right turntable.

very cool!
Victor L 8:04 PM - 27 February, 2011
Really diggin' the pink!
2Seven 9:55 PM - 4 April, 2011
Anyone doing anything new that we haven't seen before?
Victor L 10:50 PM - 4 April, 2011
I have the clears, I have the idea, just haven't done it yet. I'm also a little hesitant about it getting to a point where its obvious I spent A LOT of time and money making myself custom vinyls. I want to do a glow in the dark/fluorescent plaid pattern. I will say its more fun making them than it is using them, once they are done its just like, now what.
djmallon 1:26 AM - 19 April, 2011
just bought this: i.imgur.com

gonna do it up tomorrow! I'll post pics when they're ready!
Dj Farhan 1:30 AM - 19 April, 2011
can somebody try black chrome? i am interested to find out how that comes out
Jensen Määäm 1:35 AM - 19 April, 2011
^Sounds like, can you do please jump off the bridge, I don't know how deep the water really is...
Do it yourself!
Dj Farhan 1:39 AM - 19 April, 2011
^ haha! i know i am gonna fudge it up!
DJS/R 3:27 AM - 19 April, 2011
Do you need to put a clear coat on? or just flat or glossy paint cool?
Victor L 4:03 PM - 19 April, 2011
I don't think it matters if you use flat(matte) or glossy paint, because the side you look at and play on will still be shiny.
Joshua Carl 4:26 PM - 19 April, 2011
i imagine a gloss coat on the Bside would help (or maybe hurt depending on ur style)
how much slip the record has on the slipmat.

you might want some sort of sealant over the final coat so it doesent eventually rub out (NH)
djmallon 6:28 PM - 19 April, 2011
Came out mad sexy!

During: imgur.com
After: imgur.com
Jensen Määäm 6:39 PM - 19 April, 2011
^Cool!
Caley Martin 7:03 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:

looks really good... what kind of paint did you use?
ninos 10:37 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

i.imgur.com
D-Twizzle 11:01 PM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:

i forgot the brand, but i got it at walmart. cost $4. flourescent pink, i think there was 3 other flourescent colors to choose from.
Caley Martin 11:04 PM - 19 April, 2011
right on. I am pretty tempted to attempt this.
Dj Farhan 11:05 PM - 19 April, 2011
^ doo iittt!
djmallon 11:34 PM - 19 April, 2011
thats my paint ninos, not twizzle's
2Seven 12:33 PM - 20 April, 2011
Quote:
Came out mad sexy!

During: imgur.com
After: imgur.com

Diggin those...I see you're using Montanas....what cap/tip you use?
djmallon 2:23 PM - 20 April, 2011
The cap that it came with...didn't switch it out or anything.
Victor L 3:33 PM - 11 May, 2011
Got bored and painted a set of clears white to see how they would come out, not nearly as good as I hoped and expected. My orange and glow in the dark cv's came out much better. These look like clear with paint, where as the other sets actually look like the vinyl is the color of the paint. Oh well.

- Disappointed in Detroit
Victor L 4:07 PM - 11 May, 2011
I take it back, bringing them upstairs into the light they actually look much better and I put 2 coats on. Here they are, blackberry camera ...

i863.photobucket.com
DjPolarCa 11:41 PM - 11 May, 2011
Quote:
I take it back, bringing them upstairs into the light they actually look much better and I put 2 coats on. Here they are, blackberry camera ...

i863.photobucket.com

that might be something i might do....
DJS/R 11:45 PM - 11 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

i863.photobucket.com

that might be something i might do....

That may possibly be something I may possibly do as well....
DjPolarCa 11:48 PM - 11 May, 2011
but i just may remove the sticker and paint on the infamous red or green dog...
beatdown 6:37 AM - 12 May, 2011
anyone tried sanding down the back side to get a more transparent finish (and reduce the weight gained by painting)?
DJ metaphor 8:30 AM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
anyone tried sanding down the back side to get a more transparent finish (and reduce the weight gained by painting)?

I was just thinking of this idea the other day, Seems genius to me. there was a topic around here awile back saying that serato should release lighter CVs for the DMC DJs.

What kind of white paint did you use victor?
Jensen Määäm 11:44 AM - 12 May, 2011
I slapped all my Serato CVs on a scale and I can tell you the old label clears were the lightest 12" records out of all the Serato CVs (exept some Promos I couldn't weigh - Nikes/Yellows/Marble Grays). 120 gram a single record. All Serato need to do is press them again. I think taking material off one side is pretty hard to do because you wont an flat, an perfectly even surface and on the other hand, all the material you are taking off shouldn't touch the other side of the record...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:11 PM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
I slapped all my Serato CVs on a scale and I can tell you the old label clears were the lightest 12" records out of all the Serato CVs

I keep tellin' 'em dat...

They don't listen...
Victor L 5:22 PM - 16 May, 2011
I just used Krylon bright white paint for plastics, has a picture of a plastic lawn chair on the can. Interesting idea about sanding down the back side, if you could figure out a technique to do it perfectly.
psalmon 7:29 PM - 6 January, 2012
i'm gonna pick up some clears today and do them this weekend. thinking of going blue or purple with some glow in the dark stripes. will post up here if i get it done
HandsomeRobDJ 7:40 PM - 6 January, 2012
Two ideas I've had for a while and not tried yet that you cats might like:
1. Get a vinyl sticker of my DJ logo backwards cut, put it on the bottom of a clear record with some butter rugs or other non-decorated slip mats. So it looks like my DJ logo is in or on the vinyl but its still playable. FedEx/Kinkos can cut it for not TOO much money.
2. Have a sticker printed (again, cheap at FedEx/Kinkos) of a circle the same size as the label that's already on the record with my DJ logo on it. Cut it out and stick it over the existing label. So the record is labeled with MY DJ logo.
HandsomeRobDJ 7:44 PM - 6 January, 2012
Why are you guys weighing your records? Did you get out of the D game and you're looking for a reason to dust off the scales?
anthracite98 8:56 PM - 6 January, 2012
Where are the cheapest clears these days? I'm finding about $13 each. I may try looking on ebay "make an offer" and go for bulk 10 or so...
DJWALDO 9:11 PM - 6 January, 2012
Quote:
2. Have a sticker printed (again, cheap at FedEx/Kinkos) of a circle the same size as the label that's already on the record with my DJ logo on it. Cut it out and stick it over the existing label. So the record is labeled with MY DJ logo.

www.12inchskinz.com
D kenny G. 6:16 PM - 24 May, 2012
jpg the whole vinyl thats what im on
forget the spays and the lablel
its 2012 time to the vinyl game to a whole
new new!! (never a hater) just so exclusive
ha ha ha!!
D kenny G. 6:18 PM - 24 May, 2012
sry..time to set the vinyl game up to a whole
swagga aint nobody doin yet!!
(real talk!!)
DJ GOOK 9:48 PM - 24 May, 2012
do you have any samples
Rob Alahn 1:19 AM - 14 June, 2012
<--intrigued by the jpg idea.
jCU3 5:45 AM - 13 August, 2012
Omg i love this thread tracking and one question do you guys just spray paint over the clear vinyl or just one side
2Seven 9:30 AM - 13 August, 2012
Quote:
<--intrigued by the jpg idea.

Rob - kind of what 12inchSkinz are doing?!

Quote:
Omg i love this thread tracking and one question do you guys just spray paint over the clear vinyl or just one side

JCU3 - only mess with the side that the needle is not playing on. Just to put it in layman's: if you play the 15 minute (B) side...only mess with the 10 minute (A) side of your clear vinyl!
djbanno 10:03 AM - 13 August, 2012
Amazing where this DIY idea has gone...Props.
Jesus Christ 5:50 AM - 15 August, 2012
Awwww... how cute. Solid paint on Clear CVs.

Here you go: drstank.onfinite.com

Enjoy!
jCU3 8:12 AM - 15 August, 2012
Quote:

Enjoy!

Are you using paint or spray paint
Jesus Christ 8:26 AM - 15 August, 2012
Hand-paint, airbrush and other methods. :)
blackavenger 11:54 AM - 15 August, 2012
Quote:

Enjoy!

I don't normally like leopard Print...anything....but those came out GREAT!
blackavenger 11:55 AM - 15 August, 2012
The snake-skin's are pretty badass as well ;)
Jensen Määäm 9:45 PM - 15 August, 2012
They are all bad ass, but the RUN DMC's are my favourites.
Jesus Christ 12:17 AM - 17 August, 2012
My art is starting to resemble my records:

onfinite.com
onfinite.com
onfinite.com
onfinite.com
Jesus Christ 2:57 AM - 20 August, 2012
Will be posting all of my custom-painted CVs here: www.facebook.com

Feel free to like and share.
D kenny G. 5:20 AM - 21 August, 2012
shop.turnlabels.net
Quote:
Will be posting all of my custom-painted CVs here: www.facebook.com

Feel free to like and share.
DJ Johnny Falvelo 5:37 AM - 21 August, 2012
www.Yourdjskins.com for vinyl labels.
Jesus Christ 5:44 AM - 21 August, 2012
Idiots! Don't get the thread locked!
HandsomeRobDJ 3:56 PM - 22 February, 2013
*BUMP*

We may have covered this already, but... Anybody know how I can get the factory labels off of these clears I bought?
feniks 5:58 AM - 20 April, 2013
Soak Em in hot water
Rob Alahn 5:59 AM - 20 April, 2013
store.serato.com

Carry On
DJ Semi 1:27 AM - 9 June, 2013
Just wanted to show you guys the custom Serato clears my new company is creating over at [link removed]. They are official Serato clears, customized to our customers specifications. Here are a few personalized CVs we've done recently:

Funkmaster Flex's 'Inflexwetrust.com Edition' Custom CVs:
[link removed]

Hip-Hop Artist Apathy's 'Demigodz Edition' Custom CVs:
[link removed]

DJ Frank Jez' Custom CVs:
[link removed]

And many more in the works. I am a DJ and a graphic designer who is glad to have finally found a way to "mash-up" 2 of my passions. Hope you guys like our work.

Stay Fresh.
Jesus Christ 1:45 AM - 9 June, 2013
DJ Semi 1:50 AM - 9 June, 2013
My apologies, wasn't meant as an advertisement, more of a showcase. Remove if necessary. Thanks
9:52 PM, 9 Jun 2013
Discussion locked by ChrisD