DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Roll Call: Custom Rubberized Button Kit for the 68?

WarpNote 6:18 PM - 23 January, 2011
So, will Rane be doing a custom soft button kit for the 68?
With a light, soft feel, ie Akai, Novation or Denon feel,
and if needed, actually sacrificing some longevity.

Had the needle jumping more than once, hitting the cues on 68,
and I also need to be dead on the button, a little to the edge and it won't trigger.
So I still bring Denon HC1000S with the 68 to gigs, kind of tired of that...

I'd happily pay something like 350 USD for shipping it to Rane and have it done.

How about it 68 owners, would you want a custom modification like that?
I'm trying get some opinions, and hopefully if there's enough people who want this,
we could even convince Rane to do it?

I'm Sorry if has come up in another thread,
just want to have a dedicated thread to this issue, without a lot of other things burying it.
Dj Intel Army 6:53 PM - 23 January, 2011
+1 apc buttons would be sweet
Henry GQ 3:47 AM - 24 January, 2011
i would def do the same and feel that most people would do this if they knew about it. if possible.
Ziggenpuss 1:02 PM - 24 January, 2011
I've missed a couple of CUE hits because I pressed it slightly off-centre...
+1 for a kit..
Henry GQ 9:41 PM - 24 January, 2011
i probably wouldnt mind sending it once in a while to replace buttons either.. bhut it is what it is.... :(
BillyBoy 2:59 PM - 25 January, 2011
Guys the buttons are made the way there made 4 a reason
Durability.. The akai apc 20/40 is just a midi controller no offense to
Akai but the build quality dosent compare to that of a rane mixer
Your 68 is built to withstand the test of time so that's y your buttons are made like that
If your getting lag you need a faster computer the rane 68 is a
Powerfull machine and takes up lots of CPU and USB system bus...
If your buttons were made like the akai you would
Need to replace them every 2 years IMO....
Ziggenpuss 3:07 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:

I don't think anyones getting lag..?? Example my set up..MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz with 4GB RAM and the only audio apps are SSL Ableton and Logic.Everything else was wiped from the machine.. It runs fast 'n smooth..

'Sometimes' a slightly off-centre push of the button or maybe not hard enough 'cos your also pressing/tweaking a filter or something ends up missing the CUE.
WarpNote 3:52 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Your 68 is built to withstand the test of time so that's y your buttons are made like that

BillyBoy, there are ways to build rubberized buttons that last.
Have a look at the older MPC buttons from AKAI, very nice feel, and they do last.

Also, this issue has nothing to do with strain on the USB bus or CPU. Make no mistake about it, this is strictly a mechanical issue. The "hot" area for trigging these buttons is quite smaller than buttons itself, and hitting them to hard will make the needle jump.

Myself I run a 2.4 w/ 4GB MPB, and using a Denon HC1000S or Akai MPD24 with the 68 mixer for the cues is, in my opinion, a better/smoother experience. - Even if it puts even a little more strain to the USB bus...

Billyboy, I do respect you're choice, some would want to modify the buttons if possible, others would'nt. It's my reason for started this thread, to get a feel for what other 68 owners think, and how much they would be willing to pay for such a modification.

All opinions greatly appreciated, pro & con :D
DJWarrenKelly 6:03 PM - 25 January, 2011
I use to feel this way..I now Midi map those cues for DJ FX on one side and SP-6 on the other and I use Dicers for cues. I'm now happy with the way they are and would NOT send my mixer in for cue button exchange...Yea I said it ;)
djcrap 6:45 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
I use to feel this way..I now Midi map those cues for DJ FX on one side and SP-6 on the other and I use Dicers for cues. I'm now happy with the way they are and would NOT send my mixer in for cue button exchange...Yea I said it ;)

holy crap this is the best set up idea i have seen so far....am so coping this style

thanks
Henry GQ 6:49 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:

we didnt ask you ur opinion. and u dont know that. i have had my apc 40 for a year and and i pound on it waaaaay more than my 68. and i havent had a single issue.
Henry GQ 6:52 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:

u shouldnt even have to use the dicers with the 68
Henry GQ 6:54 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think anyones getting lag..?? Example my set up..MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz with 4GB RAM and the only audio apps are SSL Ableton and Logic.Everything else was wiped from the machine.. It runs fast 'n smooth..

'Sometimes' a slightly off-centre push of the button or maybe not hard enough 'cos your also pressing/tweaking a filter or something ends up missing the CUE.

i also have my dicers hooked up with the 68. they are far more easier to use and have a better feel to them!!!

i dont believe the rane 68 buttons have any value. this is just one subject i will never change my mind on.
WarpNote 7:42 PM - 25 January, 2011
Hold your horses Henry, I DID ask for EVERYONES opinion:
Quote:
How about it 68 owners, would you want a custom modification like that?
And I would like any 68 owner to chime in, whether they would do a custom or not.

Also I do agree with you, that a workaround (dicer, hc1000s or any other MIDI) should'nt be necessary. As I normally play back-to-back with only 2 turntables, Dicers would only be a solution for DJ A, and no soultion for DJ B. I too plan to get the APC20 for the Bridge, my MBP on has 2 usb ports, and I really wanna avoid those pesky hubs, if I can.

I do think the Rane 68 buttons have good value, I just think they could be improved even further.

So please Henry, my friend, let's all keep cool and discuss this as the highly intelligent people we are ;D
WarpNote 7:46 PM - 25 January, 2011
[noedit] my MBP on has 2 usb ports [/noedit]
[edit] my MBP only has 2 usb ports [/edit]
s3kn0tr0n1c 9:09 PM - 25 January, 2011
I personally dont have a problem with the cue buttons on 68.

I use them for loops, loop rolls, cues all on different layers, still got 2 layers to go so may try mappin sp6 or fx like DJWarrenKelly has.

What i WOULD like to see is an indication of what layer i am in, whether it was on lcd screen or a button indication (flashin cue button 2 for indicating scene 2 for example or a fully lit, different colour button on the scene you were on, if it's possible to change the colour sent to cue buttons).

Back to button feel - yeh they are a little hard but i have no problem in jammin with them, been jugglin between 2 decks but without touching records just banging cues- no probs there......5 cues each decks on different sentences to make up battle phrases between the 2.......and for cues, loop rolls and loops- NO PROBLEM AT ALL. Been dropping tunes in on beat(in headphones) with them now rather than lifting needle to start of record.
Ziggenpuss 9:14 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
What i WOULD like to see is an indication of what layer i am in, whether it was on lcd screen or a button indication (flashin cue button 2 for indicating scene 2 for example or a fully lit, different colour button on the scene you were on, if it's possible to change the colour sent to cue buttons).

+1 for this... I totally agree.
DJWarrenKelly 1:05 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1 for this... I totally agree.

Yep..I'm feelin that!
Henry GQ 5:12 AM - 26 January, 2011
sorry i just get irritated with people that dont agree with me. my fault
BillyBoy 6:43 PM - 26 January, 2011
Whateva u say gq. Maybe djing ant your thing
I mean if u don't have good timing to drum your cues
Don't blame the machine maybe u just need more
Practice
Henry GQ 7:19 PM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Whateva u say gq. Maybe djing ant your thing
I mean if u don't have good timing to drum your cues
Don't blame the machine maybe u just need more
Practice

listen here. thats not it. its the buttons. havent u seen all the complaints. maybe u need to go serve french fries at mcdonalds
nik39 7:35 PM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
And I would like any 68 owner to chime in, whether they would do a custom or not.

I would ...

+1 for rubberized buttons.
Henry GQ 7:42 PM - 26 January, 2011
+1 4 custom
BillyBoy 12:09 AM - 27 January, 2011
Hold on a sec gq I'm not the one complaining
About the buttons so can u SUPER size my fries
and I'd like a baked apple pie with that thanx!
Henry GQ 12:19 AM - 27 January, 2011
see u know the routine. congrats.

i think u'll be perfect for taking orders.
Henry GQ 12:19 AM - 27 January, 2011
anyways back to thread.
WarpNote 3:12 AM - 27 January, 2011
Take the drama to PMs please. No pissing contests allowed ;)
Stay on topic ladies & gents, thank you.
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:24 AM - 27 January, 2011
what about a rubber button overlay that added extra cushion and always hit the sweet spot on the hard button.

like a 68 button condom

little sticky around the edged (removable but doesn't pop off)

no $300 retrofit. just a $20 replaceable job.

I'm looking at my mac keyboard cover and thinking if it was just a little thicker, it may do the trick.
WarpNote 4:00 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
what about a rubber button overlay that added extra cushion and always hit the sweet spot on the hard button.

Someone else mentioned this somewhere, unfortunately I believe this would make the buttons even harder to trigger. Think about it, even with clever marking, does a condom really enhance "response"/sensitivity? We all know the answer to that one ;-)

Seriously though,
I bought the KB cover keyboard overlay myself. -> www.kbcovers.com I did use it for a while, however I got pretty fed up with it as keys gets worse response from it. Ditched it soon after getting my first midi.

Even though the title of the thread is "Rubberized Button Kit", my main issue is not the fact that they're made of plastic, but the amount of pressure you need to apply to them, and if you're slightly off center, they won't trigger. That's the pro with any rubber midi I've tried, Akai, Denon, Korg, TriggerFinger, NI, Novation. They all trigger effortlessly.
Henry GQ 8:44 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Someone else mentioned this somewhere, unfortunately I believe this would make the buttons even harder to trigger. Think about it, even with clever marking, does a condom really enhance "response"/sensitivity? We all know the answer to that one ;-)

Seriously though,
I bought the KB cover keyboard overlay myself. -> www.kbcovers.com I did use it for a while, however I got pretty fed up with it as keys gets worse response from it. Ditched it soon after getting my first midi.

Even though the title of the thread is "Rubberized Button Kit", my main issue is not the fact that they're made of plastic, but the amount of pressure you need to apply to them, and if you're slightly off center, they won't trigger. That's the pro with any rubber midi I've tried, Akai, Denon, Korg, TriggerFinger, NI, Novation. They all trigger effortlessly.

i agree with this. it feels like u have to hit them hard to make them respond. this is not the case with any of the midi controllers out there. i'd still be willing to pay for an upgrade/replacement...
WarpNote 9:35 AM - 27 January, 2011
Just discovered this:
As long as you hit the center or lower corners of the buttons, they are quite responsive. The issue occur when hitting near the upper corners. I'd still do a custom though, if that meant even better response...
WarpNote 9:36 AM - 27 January, 2011
At least, that's how my 68 behaves...
nik39 11:36 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Even though the title of the thread is "Rubberized Button Kit", my main issue is not the fact that they're made of plastic, but the amount of pressure you need to apply to them, and if you're slightly off center, they won't trigger.

Just to correct you, actually it works best if you press it at the lower bottom. The buttons seem to be built with a hinge construction. This means that the buttons are connected at the top of each button.
nik39 12:00 PM - 27 January, 2011
Uhm, sorry WarpNote, you just said that ;)
ancientyouth 4:31 PM - 31 January, 2011
^^^^^ what he said, u gotta use the bottom.......
also im finding myself changing my cuepoints from right on the beat (where i set using my 57), to slightly before, which sucks.....but,

rane would have to be insane to develop an add on/replacement for a 68, they SHOULD redesign it.....
You have to think about it in a logical way...... when you are making a product to sell you want it to be usable for as many people as possible, not just a handfull of 68 users whod rather have this or that........ so lets say you pay just one guy to work on it, 6 months later you are at least 30,000 into it ..... theyd be lucky to sell 50 sets a year...... that wouldnt even pay the janitors SALARY, let alone MAKE money....
Henry GQ 7:44 PM - 31 January, 2011
i been playing with the dicers alot more lately... and u can tell the difference in the buttons. i almost dont even use the button on the 68 when the dicers are hooked up. its bad. its very bad.

i was even comparing the buttons to the buttons of the pioneer 800. and the 800s buttons are even easier to tap! and more receptive

this is a HUUUUUUGE flaw in the mixer.
with that said...
heres the famous words of a infamous dj

"someone needs to be fired"

and there needs to be a recall on the mixer!
Henry GQ 7:44 PM - 31 January, 2011
the layout of the mixer is almost perfect. i will say that
WarpNote 8:00 PM - 31 January, 2011
Henry.
I told you once, I think everyone knows your opinion by now.
This thread is a roll call for for 68 owners, don't hijack this this thread
for your own daily complaining. Once that happens, no one will take this issue seriously.
DJWarrenKelly 8:06 PM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:
Henry.
for your own daily complaining. Once that happens, no one will take this issue seriously.

+1 OVERKILL
Dj Ace 8:18 PM - 31 January, 2011
LOL
Henry GQ 8:29 PM - 31 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Henry.

+1 OVERKILL

overkill overkill +2
BillyBoy 10:45 PM - 31 January, 2011
Overkill +100
BillyBoy 10:48 PM - 31 January, 2011
The buttons aren't that bad there workable
I mean if they were not functional then I could
Understand a recall but they work.... If u don't
Like the buttons just use your dicers
firestitchfilms 6:03 PM - 1 February, 2011
They function for awhile, unless they are faulty and stop functioning. Then you have to send it in. +1 for reliable buttons.
BillyBoy 1:41 AM - 2 February, 2011
Y did u send yours in 4 the buttons .
firestitchfilms 2:33 AM - 2 February, 2011
The 1st cue button on the left deck stopped cue-ing. I thought they were hard for
durability reasons. Five months dudes.
Henry GQ 8:35 AM - 2 February, 2011
Quote:
The 1st cue button on the left deck stopped cue-ing. I thought they were hard for
durability reasons. Five months dudes.

interesting..
WarpNote 3:38 PM - 6 February, 2011
Quote:

Phaser FX button nearly dead now... probably need to send the mixer in for service?
Now, if I could get a rubber kit upgrade, I'd gladly wait a few weeks for the return...
Oh well, that's life I guess..
Dj Ace 5:51 PM - 6 February, 2011
create a thread in the help section?
WarpNote 8:30 PM - 6 February, 2011
I will...
WarpNote 9:06 PM - 6 February, 2011
Quote:
create a thread in the help section?

serato.com
RapMaRz 12:36 AM - 7 February, 2011
my buttons r slowly starting to wearout, n i use them so gently. Yeah i have a warranty, but what full time dj has time to send in their mixer and be without mixer for days. What do i need to do??? buy another 68 so i can have a backup when the buttons fail (cause they will) or buy a 57 and deal with the same button issue (which I had with my 57)

RANE...any advice?
J.J. 11:52 PM - 7 February, 2011
+1 for CUSTOM RUBBERIZED BUTTON KIT FOR THE 68

Pressing the middle to lower part of the button has helped with them engaging. However, the CUE points really need to be rubberized. My fingers hurt after engaging a few cues, and I have calluses on the tip of my fingers from playing classic guitar with Steel-strings.

This is a huge weakness and this Ultimate Mixer. The other is the loop/selection knobs interior (plastic white part) crack real easy. RANE has sent me replacements, but I don't expect them to last that long. I am real gentle on pressing down on the knobs.
WarpNote 12:08 AM - 8 February, 2011
Quote:
The other is the loop/selection knobs interior (plastic white part) crack real easy

I've had this problem too, not sure if there's really a problem with the knob, or if I just had a little bad luck with mine. Anyway, looks like I'll have to ship the mixer to Rane US (I'm in Europe) to have it fixed, so now would be a good time for Rane to offer that rubber option, he-he ;)
nik39 12:10 AM - 8 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

The other is the loop/selection knobs interior (plastic white part) crack real easy

I've had this problem too, not sure if there's really a problem with the knob, or if I just had a little bad luck with mine. Anyway, looks like I'll have to ship the mixer to Rane US (I'm in Europe) to have it fixed, so now would be a good time for Rane to offer that rubber option, he-he ;)

Shouldn't your local distributor take care of it?
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:22 PM - 8 February, 2011
Take knob off and see if Pot is loose on mixer or knob is loose on Pot.

If its just a new knob needed rane will sort you, no doubts.
WarpNote 12:30 PM - 9 February, 2011
I know, s3kn0tr0n1c.
Gonna send it in for repair, as a have 2 other minor quirks.
My local DJ store will hook me up with another mixer while the 68 gone. Good stuff.

If someone got the impression that I'm dissatisfied with the 68, that's not so.
Yeah, the buttons could have been smoother, but still love this mixer.
djmallon 12:41 AM - 10 February, 2011
Well I'm pissed. my right cue 1 button doesnt work unless I really mash it. I've used this damn thing less than 10 times. It's only been in my possession less than 5 days! Video: Watchwww.youtube.com
J.J. 12:52 AM - 10 February, 2011
Dang, that sucks djmallon.

Everyone said the buttons were hard because it must be durable to meet RANE standards. Well, thats not the case. Where is the rubberized button kit for the Sixty-Eight.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 1:00 AM - 10 February, 2011
Quote:
Well I'm pissed. my right cue 1 button doesnt work unless I really mash it. I've used this damn thing less than 10 times. It's only been in my possession less than 5 days! Video: Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

We would be more than happy to help get that sorted out. It's 4:59 and I'm leaving for the day, but please call me in the morning. I'll be here at 8am PST. Hopefully be with the mixer and we can try what we need to and we can get the info we need if it needs to come here. Sorry to hear about the troubles, but we will get to the bottom of it and have you rocking the crowds again very soon.

Our number is 425.355.6000
djmallon 1:42 AM - 10 February, 2011
Thanks Chad...I'll bring the mixer to work tomorrow and give you a ring.
Henry GQ 3:02 AM - 11 February, 2011
wow. thats shitty to hear. but im not saying nothing about the buttons.. everyone already knows
djmallon 3:02 PM - 11 February, 2011
Rane's taking care of me though, and for that I can't complain!
Henry GQ 7:03 PM - 11 February, 2011
good to hear1 they are a very good to their customers.
Mr. Goodkat 9:06 PM - 11 February, 2011
Quote:
Rane's taking care of me though, and for that I can't complain!

you are a really nice person.
firestitchfilms 1:23 AM - 12 February, 2011
They fixed mine very quickly. It seems like repairing a brand new item, at no cost, would be an obligation for any company. A 'thanks for your patience/support', or 'sorry for the inconvenience' would have gone a long way though. Nothing says "we care, so we repair", like a Rane watch...
This mixer is rad, I hope I don't have to send it again.
WarpNote 3:04 AM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:
This mixer is rad
+1
You-Lee 8:27 PM - 17 February, 2011
What's up all 68 owners. I totally agree that RANE should do something about these buttons. For the coat of this mixer RANE should of put the MPC style pads on this mixer.

Please RANE do something about this issue. It is a major flaw on the design of this mixer. Compare your buttons to the DICERS that are $100. After paying $2500 for your mixer you shouldn't have to buy another device to do the same thing if not better. Just makes no sense at all.

It's is obvious people love your products so you should do the right thing and come up with some replacement kit for the buttons or something to solve this issue.

Again PLEASE....
Henry GQ 4:18 AM - 19 February, 2011
its funny... i was playing around with the cues alot this past weekend. i developed several calus on my fingers.
DJWarrenKelly 4:35 AM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
its funny... i was playing around with the cues alot this past weekend. i developed several calus on my fingers.

Don't blame that on the cues..LOL ;)
Henry GQ 4:31 PM - 19 February, 2011
haha funny.
djcrap 8:50 PM - 19 February, 2011
i think Rane should ship a pair of free dicers as a temporary replacement kit to all customers who bought the 68......that will only be fair on there part.
Henry GQ 2:41 AM - 20 February, 2011
f that. i already bought them. they should just replace the buttons.
WarpNote 3:29 AM - 20 February, 2011
true henry, Id still pay a premium for that kind of update. pretty please Rane...
j_dim 5:34 AM - 16 March, 2011
it doesnt have to be rubber to be responsive, maybe it can be like the hot cues on the CDJ 2000. its hard but very clicky/responsive you will never miss a beat using the hot cues on a cdj. I also think the shape of the cue buttons have something to do with it not being responsive. they should just leave it flat.
Henry GQ 5:41 AM - 16 March, 2011
Quote:
it doesnt have to be rubber to be responsive, maybe it can be like the hot cues on the CDJ 2000. its hard but very clicky/responsive you will never miss a beat using the hot cues on a cdj. I also think the shape of the cue buttons have something to do with it not being responsive. they should just leave it flat.

i kinda agree with this..
nerdy by nature 12:02 AM - 21 March, 2011
Quote:
true henry, Id still pay a premium for that kind of update. pretty please Rane...

+1
erange 6:21 AM - 29 March, 2011
I personally think you guys are crying over nothing. The cue buttons are not MPC buttons. It's not a sampler, it's a cue. But I use it to play with samples, and I have no complaints. Reminds me of my old SP-1200 pads.
Henry GQ 7:38 AM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
I personally think you guys are crying over nothing. The cue buttons are not MPC buttons. It's not a sampler, it's a cue. But I use it to play with samples, and I have no complaints. Reminds me of my old SP-1200 pads.

blah
WarpNote 11:12 PM - 31 March, 2011
Cue botton on channel 1 kind of died during gig tonight.
Also, booth volume knob is messed up bad. Didnt notice before
as Ive always used session out rca for monitoring.
Not that worried though, will be sending the mixer off to service after this weekend.
Still love this thing! Just wish the buttons were more responsive and tougher built.
Wrp
RapMaRz 11:55 PM - 31 March, 2011
Quote:
Cue botton on channel 1 kind of died during gig tonight.
Also, booth volume knob is messed up bad. Didnt notice before
as Ive always used session out rca for monitoring.
Not that worried though, will be sending the mixer off to service after this weekend.
Still love this thing! Just wish the buttons were more responsive and tougher built.
Wrp

AGREE!!! thats why i use dicers, check out some stuff I did with em at www.djrapmarz.com or your mobile device www.djrapmarz.com

I've had the 68 since it came out and it does its job...I Enjoy it...But the cues shouldnt have been made for cues, they should have been made for sampler. Good thing u can customize the buttons.
DJWarrenKelly 12:06 AM - 1 April, 2011
Actually starting to have problems with the Blue Flex FX button on Ch.1...I have to now hit it on the side to get it to go on...just weird :/
WarpNote 7:41 AM - 4 April, 2011
WarrenKelly, this is the same kind of issue I'm having the cue button for ch 1 and the one of the fx buttons.
DJWarrenKelly 3:49 PM - 4 April, 2011
Quote:
WarrenKelly, this is the same kind of issue I'm having the cue button for ch 1 and the one of the fx buttons.

Starting to wonder about this mixers durability ...I haven't even had this thing a year yet and I def. don't pound on the Flex FX or Cue buttons. Whats weird is the button doesn't stick at all..it just doesn't turn on at times.
WarpNote 4:41 PM - 4 April, 2011
Extactly, same thing here. I wonder if its mechanical, or anything to do with my computer.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:44 AM - 5 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Starting to wonder about this mixers durability ...I haven't even had this thing a year yet and I def. don't pound on the Flex FX or Cue buttons. Whats weird is the button doesn't stick at all..it just doesn't turn on at times.

Its defo a software /firmware bug so dont stress your mixer is fuked...just holla at rane/sl to sort it with an update....lol

I get it from time to time with cue button 3 on right side, channel 3 flex fx or channel 3 cues buttons..

Stuff come in 3's apparently.. 3 button all labeled 3.....lol
Henry GQ 11:43 PM - 5 April, 2011
hey guys check out this thread please.

serato.com