DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I'm opening for DJ Khaled and I'm looking for suggestions/opinions...

DJ CON-STRUC 2:42 AM - 17 January, 2011
I'm not really sure what he is going to do as far as a performance, I'm wondering if I should do a normal "opening dj" set or if I should just kill it. There are 2 dj's before me and my set is gonna be 30-40 minutes long and Khaled is going on right after me. What do you guys think?
TheChef 2:42 AM - 17 January, 2011
Play some 50 cent
DJ CON-STRUC 2:44 AM - 17 January, 2011
HAHA!! I will just do a half hour 50 cent mega mix
bill-e 2:49 AM - 17 January, 2011
play all his song
DJLRock 3:03 AM - 17 January, 2011
is he DJing or performing? i've worked with him before
DJ Remy USA 3:08 AM - 17 January, 2011
jus do you what you do best. Play the music that fits the time block that you have. Its a no brainer dont play his music but do hype up the fact that he is next after you.
DJ CON-STRUC 3:10 AM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:

I'm not sure really, have you ever seen him dj?
djpuma_gemini 3:18 AM - 17 January, 2011
his name is DJ khaled
DJLRock 3:18 AM - 17 January, 2011
yeah but when i worked with him he "performed" and when he performs all he does is his little part of all the tracks hes on and thats it
djpuma_gemini 3:19 AM - 17 January, 2011
take some vocal samples from his songs where he says dj khaled, which is pretty much every song he ever made and hype up the crowd with some cutting with those vocals, not over his tracks though.
DJ metaphor 3:45 AM - 17 January, 2011
Take one of his songs thats VERY WELL KNOWN. (one that everyone in the building will know) drop 4 beats of it. and backspin into move bitch by ludacris. that will hype yo crowd up for sure.
Jcx 4:05 AM - 17 January, 2011
play all i do is win...some tpain, lil wayne..BMF.akon..ect and yea bro KILL IT
Tunecrew 5:18 AM - 17 January, 2011
who used to listen to Khaled in Mix 96 when everybody was like "who the hell is this dude???"
FunkyRob 5:54 AM - 17 January, 2011
So he did actually DJ at some time?
DJ CISC0 7:52 AM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure really, have you ever seen him dj?
He DJs in this clip.
serato.com
gotchuckz 9:09 AM - 17 January, 2011
if you're fat, then dj shirtless and say we the best.
DJ_Phenom 9:37 AM - 17 January, 2011
actually you should yell "he" the best
Tunecrew 2:52 PM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:
So he did actually DJ at some time?

Khaled rose to prominence in Miami by being the hip hop DJ on Mixx 96, which is/was a pirate station that plays mostly Caribbean stuff (reggae/soca)

The artist thing is much more recent
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:02 PM - 17 January, 2011
Should be an easy gig, ALL HE DOES IS WIN
thewevel 3:22 PM - 17 January, 2011
play 40 minutes of trance
thewevel 3:22 PM - 17 January, 2011
that should be like 4 songs
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:23 PM - 17 January, 2011
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!11
dj poisonous handz 3:56 PM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:
who used to listen to Khaled in Mix 96 when everybody was like "who the hell is this dude???"

Me.in 99.he was the resident at opium in south beach.didnt really mix.just dropped one track after the other and alot alot alot of yelling!
Dysquo 8:16 PM - 17 January, 2011
Khaled was a Big Reggae DJ, Then moved to other stuff.... Don't play any Lil Wayne, Drake, Minaj, etc... YM/CM..(He's Signed with them and will play all there stuff). Play Hip-Hop, R&B... If you are a real DJ, you can get the crowd hype without playing a current hit. If you do a good job, and he's listening you might make a good connect. If you try and go all out and ruin his vibe, all he'll do is say that opener was an ass and tried to outshine me... But "We the Best!"

www.Dysquo.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:18 PM - 17 January, 2011
depends what your opening for him, are you opiening a can of chips or a soda, if chips i would say watch your fingers
Dysquo 8:19 PM - 17 January, 2011
The Opening DJ - Nuff Said!
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 8:28 PM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:
Khaled was a Big Reggae DJ, Then moved to other stuff.... Don't play any Lil Wayne, Drake, Minaj, etc... YM/CM..(He's Signed with them and will play all there stuff). Play Hip-Hop, R&B... If you are a real DJ, you can get the crowd hype without playing a current hit. If you do a good job, and he's listening you might make a good connect. If you try and go all out and ruin his vibe, all he'll do is say that opener was an ass and tried to outshine me... But "We the Best!"

www.Dysquo.com

Good advice. Could be some good connects if it goes smooth. But that pretty much rules out all of todays new popular hip hop. I would hit em with some old school hood type stuff. Trick Daddy, Project Pat, some old Luda. Jus to kinda switch up the vibe.
DJLRock 8:32 PM - 17 January, 2011
did we find out if hes DJing or performing yet?
Dysquo 8:42 PM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:
Good advice. Could be some good connects if it goes smooth. But that pretty much rules out all of todays new popular hip hop. I would hit em with some old school hood type stuff. Trick Daddy, Project Pat, some old Luda. Jus to kinda switch up the vibe.

+1
DJ CON-STRUC 1:24 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.Dysquo.com

Word, I really don't care if I can play new shit or not. I can rock it either way. However, I'm just wondering if I would be an asshole for killing it as far as scratches, live blends, quick mixing ect. I normally don't get to perform in front of that many people and I really want them all to know what I'm capable of. So if I really go hard and kill it, will I be an asshole even if I'm leaving all the current hip hop for him to play? hmmm
DJ Tecniq 1:47 AM - 18 January, 2011
dude just do you, you are a dj if you are talented and can scratch, blend then yes fucking kill it. You will prob outshine him anyway so i wouldn't even be worried all he's gonna do is yell over the tracks he's dropping. Fucking kill it after all the dj's that are before you. Fuck them u want to show of your skills then do it if Khaled's pissed cause u outshined him then he needs to step his game up as a DJ. Sounds like he just gonna be performing if there's 3 dj's already.
DJ Tecniq 1:48 AM - 18 January, 2011
After your done get on mic & say "IM DA BEST" lol...kidding
DJ CON-STRUC 2:07 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
dude just do you, you are a dj if you are talented and can scratch, blend then yes fucking kill it. You will prob outshine him anyway so i wouldn't even be worried all he's gonna do is yell over the tracks he's dropping. Fucking kill it after all the dj's that are before you. Fuck them u want to show of your skills then do it if Khaled's pissed cause u outshined him then he needs to step his game up as a DJ. Sounds like he just gonna be performing if there's 3 dj's already.

Well put man!!
Dysquo 3:41 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:

In the end you're gonna do what you wanna do, but Khaled is the type that will call you out on the mic and embarrass you. Keep the energy up and do you, just don't rock the hits that he's gonna play/sing. If you was the star, they would've booked you as the headliner. If he gets pissed off and complains to the club owner/promoter/etc, that you suck and you tried to steal the show, do you think you'll get booked again? They obviously know you have skill already, cause you go booked in the 1st place. Worry about promoting the fact that you are doing the gig. Get pics, drops, etc.. (He'll prob be coming with Ross, T-Pain, Ace Hood, etc)
ZESH! 5:09 AM - 18 January, 2011
Tell him You Takin Ova
Audio1 5:38 AM - 18 January, 2011
CONSTRUC, Do your thing, tear it up and stay away from any of khaled/any of his label associates material... Simple. Have fun, most important above all.
DJ Tecniq 5:52 PM - 18 January, 2011
yeah and come back and post how the night went for you cause we all wanna know WHO'S DA BEST! "I run this shit *in khaled voice* Regardless.. if I was in your position i would go all out and fucking kill it I'm not making the bank they are so i would def show off my skills as a no name dj lol..no love for them dude fuck that it's everyman for himself. I could give a fuck less if i got booked again or not. That is not being cocky that is knowing your role and where you stand with what your trying to accomplish. If Khaled is a dick and calls u out on my mic just smile and get on mic and say "HE'S DA BEST" put the joke on him in the end you will get the last laugh. Your role to play is the nobody dj..do you want to play as a nobody dj or fucking kill it and let your name be known that is the question homie. Kill it but kill it your own way. Don't use the hood shit he'll play.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:06 PM - 18 January, 2011
usually I know its the openers job NOT to burn the headliner or whatever but in THIS case, where the "headliner" isnt someone whos gonna be comming back alot (if ever) and you have a huge crowd of people who may not be familiar with your work as a dj...i say KILL IT, even if THAT promoter dosent hire you back your gonna have work as that dj who killed it at the kahled show. And if you burn your bridges with kahled who gives a fuck he aint gonna offer you a tour deal he prob wont know your nname at the end of the show in either case.

Its not like anyone in that crowd is there because they respect his abilitys as a dj they just wanna hear WE THE BEST
DJ Tecniq 6:11 PM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
usually I know its the openers job NOT to burn the headliner or whatever but in THIS case, where the "headliner" isnt someone whos gonna be comming back alot (if ever) and you have a huge crowd of people who may not be familiar with your work as a dj...i say KILL IT, even if THAT promoter dosent hire you back your gonna have work as that dj who killed it at the kahled show. And if you burn your bridges with kahled who gives a fuck he aint gonna offer you a tour deal he prob wont know your nname at the end of the show in either case.

Its not like anyone in that crowd is there because they respect his abilitys as a dj they just wanna hear WE THE BEST
well put, i i def agree. fuck man i ain't making the cheese they are. Think of yourself as not a dj but a performer/entertainer. Your job is to entertain the crowd opening up for khaled i say fucking murder them skill wise. U know other dj's are gonna try to outshine you so don't let that happen plz keep use posted too!
DJ Tecniq 6:18 PM - 18 January, 2011
after your set's done hype up the crowd and say "yo everyone give it up for dj khaled make some fuckin noise HE DA BEST!" then walk off stage with confidence that you killed it and buried those dj's in the ground. If im playin a show for a dj friend of mine i don't normally show off but for dj's i don't know...oh god u best bet im gonna throw down and let my set be heard and standout. LOL. maybe that's why i don't get alot of guest spots cause i usually kill it anyway im not there to make friends this is what im best at and love doing. I can just play track after track that shits boring. When your on always stay busy and constantly doing something, wether it's cutting, blending or rockin the mic. Imagine you're there and the clubs packed all u have to do is have them in the palm of your hands and it's GAME OVER! : )
Dysquo 9:25 PM - 7 February, 2011
Update?
DJ Dac 10:10 PM - 7 February, 2011
Mr. Goodkat 11:25 PM - 7 February, 2011
win
Dj Farhan 11:55 PM - 7 February, 2011
HEEEEEEEEEEE'S THE BEST NI*************************A! ;-p