DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

PETITION TO MAKE RANE 68 FULLY MIDI MAPPABLE +1 THIS THREAD!!!!!

Henry GQ 1:50 AM - 4 January, 2011
ok.. im seriously PISSED OFF that i have a $2600 mixer and it wont give us permission to midi map anything but VSL and SL. this is complete BULLSHIT!

I cant midi map any functions on Mix Emergency or any other program of my choosing????!!! SERIOUSLY THATS A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!!
I OWN VSL. WHAT THE PROBLEM!?!?!?!

Rane. or Serato... who ever is in charge of this.. please change this IMMEDIATLEY!!!!

+1 ON THIS THREAD IF U AGREE AND LEAVE COMMENTS ENCOURAGING SERATON/RANE TO CHANGE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VJ Justin Allen 2:12 AM - 4 January, 2011
+1 This does seem a bit harsh that they would lock down the midi out. Are you sure this is the case?
Henry GQ 3:04 AM - 4 January, 2011
100% sure.
this is what another person from another company has said.

Quote:
"The problem here is that there are basically 2 modes that the Rane 68 is run in to communicate with your computer. I'm not sure what the official terms are for this, but for now I'll just call them the Public and Private mode.

In Public mode you can use the Rane 68 as an audio and MIDI device in any programs you want to.

In Private mode you can only use the Rane 68 with Scratch Live. The audio and MIDI becomes unavailable to any other programs.

When you run Scratch Live it will automatically go into the Private mode. "
DJBIGWIZ 5:54 AM - 4 January, 2011
Quote:
WHAT THE PROBLEM!?!?!?!

The problem appears to be the absence of an apostrophe s
;)

But aside from that, I agree it would be better if MIDI was open to outside programs from the 68 while using SSL.

Starting a thread for this was a good idea (nik) ... throwing a fit and yelling ... not so much.
Henry GQ 6:33 AM - 4 January, 2011
whats the problem.

Watchwww.youtube.com

i dont know what ur talking about....
Henry GQ 6:35 AM - 4 January, 2011
Quote:
whats the problem.

Watchwww.youtube.com

i dont know what ur talking about....

i seriously felt like this when i found out i couldnt midi map. no joke. no baby
DJBIGWIZ 7:25 AM - 4 January, 2011
hahaha
s3kn0tr0n1c 5:46 PM - 4 January, 2011
why not ask nicely in the feature request section.
VJ Justin Allen 7:29 PM - 4 January, 2011
Because he paid $2600 for a mixer that has lots of bugs in it, seems unreliable and not cannot perform even the basic functions of other midi-capable mixers?

Maybe.
Henry GQ 11:04 PM - 4 January, 2011
Quote:
Because he paid $2600 for a mixer that has lots of bugs in it, seems unreliable and not cannot perform even the basic functions of other midi-capable mixers?

Maybe.

facebook like!
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:53 PM - 4 January, 2011
Quote:

Maybe.

The 68 works a treat for me, it had one fader/fx bug when i got it, I posted a helpful video of the problem and helped rane get to the bottom of it. Now its gone and rane sent me a nice thank you "care package" for my help. I didnt come on here spitting the dummy.

Im pretty sure it will evolve and have this feature, he'll just have to ask nicely. There are ways to get things done.
DJBIGWIZ 12:33 AM - 5 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe.

The 68 works a treat for me, it had one fader/fx bug when i got it, I posted a helpful video of the problem and helped rane get to the bottom of it. Now its gone and rane sent me a nice thank you "care package" for my help. I didnt come on here spitting the dummy.

Im pretty sure it will evolve and have this feature, he'll just have to ask nicely. There are ways to get things done.

+1
Yelling and talking shit are never the best first option.
Ranting and raving should not be your "go-to" initial action.
Kill 'em with kindness.
Henry GQ 12:38 AM - 5 January, 2011
back to topic please.
Dj Ace 4:22 AM - 5 January, 2011
hahahaaha....
Rane, Support
Shaun W 12:34 AM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:

100% sure.
this is what another person from another company has said.

Quote:

"The problem here is that there are basically 2 modes that the Rane 68 is run in to communicate with your computer. I'm not sure what the official terms are for this, but for now I'll just call them the Public and Private mode.

In Public mode you can use the Rane 68 as an audio and MIDI device in any programs you want to.

In Private mode you can only use the Rane 68 with Scratch Live. The audio and MIDI becomes unavailable to any other programs.

When you run Scratch Live it will automatically go into the Private mode. "

Connect the second USB port of your Sixty-Eight to your Mac and use the mixer as an additional USB audio and MIDI device.
Henry GQ 1:25 AM - 6 January, 2011
that will get me by for now. thnx shaun.

but it does suck up a usb port of mine on the macbook :(
i already am running a nano kontrol and the dicers :/

i only have 2 usb outs on the mac. one is for the rane 68
ancientyouth 2:14 AM - 6 January, 2011
That's what they sell USB hubs for
nik39 2:58 AM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
Connect the second USB port of your Sixty-Eight to your Mac and use the mixer as an additional USB audio and MIDI device.

It didnt work cleanyl for me, because I had the feeling SL did not know on which USB port to switch the mixer to SL mode.
djcrap 3:38 AM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
that will get me by for now. thnx shaun.

but it does suck up a usb port of mine on the macbook :(
i already am running a nano kontrol and the dicers :/

i only have 2 usb outs on the mac. one is for the rane 68

if you are on a macbookpro early 2008 it has a pcmcia card slot

so am guessing all you need is this and you got your self 2 more extra usb ports on your laptop

www.tekserve.com
Henry GQ 8:03 AM - 6 January, 2011
mine is brand new.. 2010.

and ur right ancientyouth... but how many wires u want coming out of ur macbook ? and r u gonna set this up up every single time. 3-4 times a week?

it gets annoying after a while.

was using the pio 800. sl-1.. and it was just a pain setting up the sl-1 every time i played haha. call me lazy...

but when i got my rane 68... it was nice not to worry about if i brought my sl-1.. or if i hooked it up right or.....

anyways. please rane/serato make the 68 midi period.
Henry GQ 8:04 AM - 6 January, 2011
im just confused on how my crossfader works with ME in general? anyone cre to explain that !!! hahaha weiiirrrrrrrd
nik39 9:16 AM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:

Yeah. That other thing is an ugly workaround. Imagine you are playing with two DJ's ping pong style - that won't work.

Quote:
im just confused on how my crossfader works with ME in general?

I assume SL handles that internally, and ME reads that somehow internally. The 57 also works and it doesnt support Midi.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:37 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:

Actually, this has nothing to do with the MIDI capabilities of the Sixty-Eight mixer and everything to do with the custom drivers Serato uses for Scratch Live.

As said above, when Scratch Live is open the Scratch Live drivers override the Sixty-Eight's Multi-client Core Audio and ASIO drivers, "kidnapping" one of the USB sound cards for Scratch Live use only. As far as I know, the only way around this (besides my above suggestion) is for Scratch Live to allow/support the Sixty-Eight's Multi-client Core Audio and ASIO drivers. This would allow the Sixty-Eight to work with Scratch Live and stream audio/communicate with multiple applications simultaneously.

If I recall correctly, the reason for Scratch Live not supporting Core Audio and ASIO is performance. Basically, the custom Scratch Live drivers provide lower latency communication than Core Audio and ASIO drivers.

In regards to general MIDI devices (eg M-Audio Trigger Finger, Kontrol X1, APC 40 and etc) being able to communicate with multiple programs simultaneously, I do not think this is possible with out using third-party MIDI tweaking applications. I haven't looked too deep into this, so please correct me if I'm wrong :)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:46 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It didnt work cleanyl for me, because I had the feeling SL did not know on which USB port to switch the mixer to SL mode.

Have only one USB connected to your computer when launching Scratch Live. After the program opens, then connect the second USB and assign it as your Core Audio device:)
radikarl 8:50 PM - 6 January, 2011
what about stealing midi messages with something like bomes midi translator or midi pipe, altering them and then passing the result on to SSL?

i remember J.J. mentioned that he does the same with his Denon HC4500 to achieve a custom mapping.
that could work, right?
J.J. 5:25 AM - 7 January, 2011
Interesting radikarl. Steal the 68 MIDI output. I will try this using MIDI-OX. However, I don't think this will work considering SSL needs the whole 68 to unlock the software.
nik39 9:18 AM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
what about stealing midi messages with something like bomes midi translator or midi pipe, altering them and then passing the result on to SSL?

Don'T think that this will work...

1. Remember the Dicers? You can't steal the messages, cause SL seems to listen to the port somehow on a device level.

2. IF the mixer is in SL mode it simply does not transfer Midi messages - only SL will see them.
radikarl 10:23 AM - 7 January, 2011
nik39 you may be right with the first concern.

but i don't remember too well.
in my memory it was possible to steal the dicers messages and therefore flip sides of the two dicers manually by unchecking them in the SL setup screen beforehand.
but what indeed was "on a device level" was the reception of midi messages by the dicers. that was the part which was not stealable.
(lights were still the normal way -> so when flipping the functions then the lights where "reversed" iirc)
but maybe i am wrong. that's a while ago when i thougt about it. what i do remember for sure is that it did not work too well, and i ended up buying a usb extension cable instead.

the second concern you have - i am not sure if that is true. why invent the wheel twice? it seems more reasonable to me if they just use midi.
i think i have read somewhere that the 57 is HID only, and the 68 is midi only. (?)

i don't own a sixty eigth so i can not test - but you guys could:
do you see some midi messages with "Midi Monitor" when you use the sixty eight?
if you do, then i think the wohle stealing think might work.
nik39 10:32 AM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
the second concern you have - i am not sure if that is true. why invent the wheel twice? it seems more reasonable to me if they just use midi.
i think i have read somewhere that the 57 is HID only, and the 68 is midi only. (?)

That is probably true. SL might read (some?) messages via Midi but using some kind of "internal path". If you connect the 68 and start SL, no Midi device is visible to the OS.
nik39 10:33 AM - 7 January, 2011
Thats what I meant with "Only SL will see them".
radikarl 10:35 AM - 7 January, 2011
ok, didn't know that.
WarpNote 6:58 PM - 9 January, 2011
+1 for "Midi Freedom"
Ziggenpuss 9:31 AM - 10 January, 2011
+1 From MIDI please..
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:30 PM - 10 January, 2011
Please read :)
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, this has nothing to do with the MIDI capabilities of the Sixty-Eight mixer and everything to do with the custom drivers Serato uses for Scratch Live.

As said above, when Scratch Live is open the Scratch Live drivers override the Sixty-Eight's Multi-client Core Audio and ASIO drivers, "kidnapping" one of the USB sound cards for Scratch Live use only. As far as I know, the only way around this (besides my above suggestion) is for Scratch Live to allow/support the Sixty-Eight's Multi-client Core Audio and ASIO drivers. This would allow the Sixty-Eight to work with Scratch Live and stream audio/communicate with multiple applications simultaneously.

If I recall correctly, the reason for Scratch Live not supporting Core Audio and ASIO is performance. Basically, the custom Scratch Live drivers provide lower latency communication than Core Audio and ASIO drivers.

In regards to general MIDI devices (eg M-Audio Trigger Finger, Kontrol X1, APC 40 and etc) being able to communicate with multiple programs simultaneously, I do think this is possible with out using third-party MIDI tweaking applications. I haven't looked too deep into this, so please correct me if I'm wrong :)
DJBIGWIZ 5:37 PM - 10 January, 2011
Quote:

In regards to general MIDI devices (eg M-Audio Trigger Finger, Kontrol X1, APC 40 and etc) being able to communicate with multiple programs simultaneously, I do not think this is possible with out using third-party MIDI tweaking applications. I haven't looked too deep into this, so please correct me if I'm wrong :)

I would think so... if you are sending info on different MIDI channels to the different programs.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:44 PM - 10 January, 2011
This would be interesting to test. Can you split a MIDI device so that half the controls are MIDI channel 1 and the other half MIDI channel 2, as so the single MIDI device can communicate with multiple applications simultaneously? Interesting indeed :)
DJBIGWIZ 6:04 PM - 10 January, 2011
Quote:
This would be interesting to test. Can you split a MIDI device so that half the controls are MIDI channel 1 and the other half MIDI channel 2, as so the single MIDI device can communicate with multiple applications simultaneously? Interesting indeed :)

Sure... in most MIDI devices you can choose the MIDI channel each pad etc is connected to either on the hardware or on a software editor that usually comes with the controller
luiscript 4:50 PM - 13 January, 2011
Other mixers not only can comunicate with other software, you got midi out connection so you can control devices too.

I'm a new 68's owner and I really need this feature too, so

+1 for MIDI
DJ Black Plague 7:12 PM - 15 January, 2011
Just picked up the $2K+ mixer the other day thinking it would be MIDI mappable. I mean, it does does say it can be MIDI mapped on the 5 different pages. But it really can only control Scratch Live on those pages. Really, who needs 5 pages of Scratch Live controls on the 68? It does most of them by default!

It's a shame that even lesser quality mixers can be mapped (Behringer DDM4000), but my 2 thousand dollar Rane can't! This is a major fail and I hope they correct it soon!

+1 for FULL MIDI CAPABILITY
Dj Ace 2:31 AM - 17 January, 2011
thats not ranes fault coz it is fully mappable just not when scatchlive is open...
Henry GQ 5:43 AM - 17 January, 2011
we already established that.

so were now were beggin serato stop this non sense
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:09 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
thats not ranes fault coz it is fully mappable just not when scatchlive is open...

Unless you connect the second USB port to your lappy and use the 2nd sound card as your "MIDI device"
Dj Ace 9:21 PM - 18 January, 2011
^^^^good work around...
nik39 11:35 AM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
^^^^good work around...

No way. It's an awkward way for something which should have worked in the first place.

What happens if you use one of the most strongest features of the 68 - connecting two laptops to play back to back? You're out of luck.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:03 PM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
No way. It's an awkward way for something which should have worked in the first place.

Just so everyone is clear, this has nothing to do with the MIDI capabilities of the Sixty-Eight mixer and everything to do with the custom drivers Serato uses for Scratch Live. Unless something can be done within the Scratch Live software to "release" the Sixty-Eight's MIDI functions, the above (inconvenient) workaround is it.

To reiterate, when Scratch Live is open the Scratch Live drivers override the Sixty-Eight's Multi-client Core Audio and ASIO drivers, "kidnapping" one of the USB sound cards for Scratch Live use only. As far as I know, the only way around this (besides my above suggestion) is for Scratch Live to allow/support the Sixty-Eight's Multi-client Core Audio and ASIO drivers. This would allow the Sixty-Eight to work with Scratch Live and stream audio/communicate with multiple applications simultaneously.

Henry GQ 5:41 PM - 19 January, 2011
notice how not 1 "serato" mod has jumped in this thread. sigh.

this is very wack serato. very....
it seems like serato is like. yaya. who cares that u payed rane 2600 for a mixer.
radikarl 5:46 PM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
In regards to general MIDI devices (eg M-Audio Trigger Finger, Kontrol X1, APC 40 and etc) being able to communicate with multiple programs simultaneously, I do not think this is possible with out using third-party MIDI tweaking applications.

AFAIK this is not true
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:55 PM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

In regards to general MIDI devices (eg M-Audio Trigger Finger, Kontrol X1, APC 40 and etc) being able to communicate with multiple programs simultaneously, I do not think this is possible with out using third-party MIDI tweaking applications.

AFAIK this is not true

Cool, I haven't done a lot of research into this or tried it for myself (yet), so I wasn't sure if it is possible or not. If someone knows how (perhaps splitting a MIDI device into separate MIDI channels?), please let me know :)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:04 PM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
notice how not 1 "serato" mod has jumped in this thread. sigh.

this is very wack serato. very....
it seems like serato is like. yaya. who cares that u payed rane 2600 for a mixer.

Please don't think I'm throwing Serato under the bus or anything. The Sixty-Eight is the first MIDI assignable Scratch Live mixer and this is the first time the need for MIDI assignable controls (outside of SSL) is needed from the custom Scratch Live drivers. With a bit of software/driver tweaking, perhaps a feature can be added to allow the custom drivers to multi-client communicate (or perhaps not). The first step in the process is figuring out what's needed (which you've done) and the second is to ask the Serato team to look into it and determine if it's possible :)
radikarl 6:14 PM - 19 January, 2011
i think usually, midi is handled as a BUS.
every program that speaks Midi can send and listen to the BUS

i know that ScratchLive does this differently for native controllers. they have some method to avoid that the software is sending to the BUS, e.g. when lighting up the Dicers (which is reasonable, but is also why we can not alter the data to modify the colors - i tried that with nik39 once)
but if you have e.g. Ableton Live and SSL running at the same time, and use a non-native midi controller, its messages will arrive at both programs.

i don't have a sixty eight, but what i know is that e.g the midi messages of the Dicers are at least visible in Midi Monitor. so i assumed native controllers messages can be "kidnapped".
That is why i proposed to "steal" and alter the midi data which comes from the sixty eight and forward the altered messages to the BUS, since SSL will listen to it anyways.

but now that i think of it again, i doubt they can be "kidnapped" in the literal sense (not being where they should that is), i think they can only be used to create additional action, but the original action will most probably still execute

i think this would also be true for the workaround you proposed when connecting both usb ports to one computer.
Henry GQ 8:58 PM - 19 January, 2011
hey Shaun
is the led lights in the buttons of the 68 color changeable?\

what im asking is. can they change color like the dicers?
VJ Justin Allen 12:20 AM - 20 January, 2011
I used to link the Trigger Finger and the Edirol V4 via Midi all the time in the past. Midi allows a "pass-thru" option if there is an out available. If not, you just have to have the item without an "out" last in the chain.

And make very sure you set up your midi commands the right way :)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:29 PM - 20 January, 2011
The colors are not changeable for customisation. There are a few like the Control Point light that will have 2 colors depending on which function they are performing..
WarpNote 4:59 PM - 23 January, 2011
I believe that Chad
So the cues have both green and orange leds.
In theory, you woiuld be able to control the intensity of these,
(should probably be possible as there is the "Button Backlight" option in setup,
ie dimmed leds) and thereby create a "new" color based on the intensity mix factor.

But truthfully, I don't really see the point of doing this, appart from it "looking cool".

What I would like however, is the ability to control general intensity at least for dimmed state, as these are way to intense, and very hard to distinguish from the fully lit ones.

Yes, I know i can turn off backlight, and it's first thing I did when I got the mixer.
The main reason backlights are way to intense. So what I'm saying is, swap out the "Button Backlight" toggle for a "Button Backlight Intensity" knob, and all is well :D
Henry GQ 5:18 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:

But truthfully, I don't really see the point of doing this, appart from it "looking cool".

i would like to set the colors for the same reason as they are set within the program. u are able to identify where ur cue points are. cant remember them on every song.

i dont know why noone would have thought about this for future use. personally i think there was alot of stuff overlooked one the 68. but at the same rate... theres alot of stuff that i didnt think about either... but i dont get paid to do this shit.
Henry GQ 5:19 PM - 23 January, 2011
for some reason i dont think theres alot of people that bought the 68. or the whole rane 68 discussion thread woul be blowing up liek the 57.
WarpNote 5:38 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
i would like to set the colors for the same reason as they are set within the program. u are able to identify where ur cue points are. cant remember them on every song.

I sort of got that point Henry,
I still don't think it would do any difference for me if the cue buttons had all the colors in the world...

You know that the cues can be sorted chronological right?
Setup > Playback > General > Sort Cues Chronologically

That's the reason I would'nt need all those colors, and if in doubt, whenever I load the next song to the deck not playing out, I'll just cue all the cuepoints in the headset before playing it. I would have to be quite drunk to forget those cues within the few minutes/seconds before I'm about to play it...

Know what-I-mean?
WarpNote 5:57 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
for some reason i dont think there's alot of people that bought the 68. or the whole rane 68 discussion thread woul be blowing up liek the 57.

As the 68 sells for 2.4 times more than a TTM57, and about about 1.9 times more than a DJM 800 (Club standard around my parts), it's not really comparable. You wouldn't really expect to reach huge sales numbers for most highend flagship products. I might be wrong, but I don't think the comparable (price range wise) A&H XONE-DB4 and Pioneer DJM2000 has made huge sales numbers either.

If you have a look around this is true for any high-end product: cars, mountain bikes, real estate, you name it....
DJBIGWIZ 8:06 PM - 23 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

for some reason i dont think there's alot of people that bought the 68. or the whole rane 68 discussion thread woul be blowing up liek the 57.

As the 68 sells for 2.4 times more than a TTM57, and about about 1.9 times more than a DJM 800 (Club standard around my parts), it's not really comparable. You wouldn't really expect to reach huge sales numbers for most highend flagship products. I might be wrong, but I don't think the comparable (price range wise) A&H XONE-DB4 and Pioneer DJM2000 has made huge sales numbers either.

If you have a look around this is true for any high-end product: cars, mountain bikes, real estate, you name it....

+1
also, the 68 has not even been out for a year yet and the economy is still not back up where it should be... give it time.
WarpNote 8:45 PM - 23 January, 2011
Exactly,
Also I seem to remember that it took quite some time before the TTM57,
started to sell really well...
Most people, (unlike Henry & myself) will wait a while when there is a completely new product/model coming out. I would wait too if it weren't for 2 facts:

1. BigWiz gave a very convincing Demo at a local Club.
2. my Pioneer was stolen just before X-Mas

That said, only having owned it for approx one month, I really dig this mixer.
And I'm sure Serato & Rane will do their best to have midi working when running VSL.

Henry, when running a software company like Serato, you really never have the chance of really finishing what you want to implement. Once something is ticked of the to-do list, there will be new great ideas emerging. They'll have have to constantly balance resources, keeping the software stable, implementing new features, supporting evolving hardware (ie 68 & SL4).

I'd rather have to use external midi for VSL for some time, than crashes due to premature midi features in VSL...
DJBIGWIZ 9:11 PM - 23 January, 2011
Warp, not sure what you mean by have midi working when running VSL but you know there is a custom group in the 68 that control the VSL plug-in already right?
WarpNote 9:44 PM - 23 January, 2011
Maybe Ive misunderstood Henry's issue, I thought he had trouble midi mapping stuff with the mixer, either VLS or ME.. Myself, I still haven't decided on what solution to choose, so have yet to try.

Think I might even buy both packages. Will need to work on my visuals first anyway.
VSL has a "free" upgrade path after initial purchase, like SSL, no?
DJBIGWIZ 10:14 PM - 23 January, 2011
right... VSL upgrades are free just like SSL

There should be no trouble with VSL- 68 and control... like I said, it's already in there... Just switch to custom group 5 and toggle the Layer/Shift button to switch control between the channel section and the transition section.

I will have a video for this soon.
Henry GQ 12:09 AM - 24 January, 2011
all im saying is that

1. the mixer should be midi assignable. period. no workarounds.

serato need to fix this asap.
Henry GQ 12:12 AM - 24 January, 2011
and just on another note...

it would be great if the led buttons worked the way i think they should. colors and all. all im saying. its an opinion. i wasnt looking for a debate.

if SL ever implemented midi out. i would be willing to pay someone to put color leds in the mixer. warranty or not..
nik39 9:27 AM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
all im saying is that

+1.

It should be fully midi assignable when using SL and using *one* usb port. Some dj's don't have another spare usb port. Even if... it makes little sense to use up the other USB port on the 68, cause then you wont be able to use one of the most helpful features on the 68 - being able to transition between 2 dj's on the fly by having two laptops connected to the 68.
DJBIGWIZ 8:23 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
cause then you wont be able to use one of the most helpful features on the 68 - being able to transition between 2 dj's on the fly by having two laptops connected to the 68.

+1
That takes away one of the most powerful and unique features of this mixer.
nik39 8:32 PM - 24 January, 2011
Thanks for translating my fugly danglish to proper english :)
Henry GQ 9:29 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

all im saying is that

+1.

It should be fully midi assignable when using SL and using *one* usb port. Some dj's don't have another spare usb port. Even if... it makes little sense to use up the other USB port on the 68, cause then you wont be able to use one of the most helpful features on the 68 - being able to transition between 2 dj's on the fly by having two laptops connected to the 68.

totally agree with this statement.
Henry GQ 9:29 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

cause then you wont be able to use one of the most helpful features on the 68 - being able to transition between 2 dj's on the fly by having two laptops connected to the 68.

+1
That takes away one of the most powerful and unique features of this mixer.

glad to have u on board sir. :)
DJBIGWIZ 10:27 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Thanks for translating my fugly danglish to proper english :)

haha... you do a fine proper job with out my help.
Just backing up your (very good) point.
Henry GQ 12:35 AM - 25 January, 2011
man.. im telling you i need to get rid of this remote keyboard and go back to wired. shit fucks me up. i sound 'danglish' if thats ever a word lol

hello i be russia. i like to date u daughta
Henry GQ 3:42 AM - 25 January, 2011
yah so... i tried doing that work around tonight. thats not really a good look. u have to use ur control point button to go from SL to any midi function u wanna control. thats not a good workaround. too much jumping around..

i downloaded the core drivers for the mac too to do this. SL crashes after u unplug the usb cable. and its not the usb cable used for SL

:(
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:30 AM - 25 January, 2011
If they do implement this i hope they give us the option of not using it as i read on a thread from one of the mods that it would increase latency and thats why they use this "special SL" driver.

LOW latency is the most important feature for me......
Henry GQ 8:36 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
If they do implement this i hope they give us the option of not using it as i read on a thread from one of the mods that it would increase latency and thats why they use this "special SL" driver.

u have the 68 ?
what laptop u using with it if so ?
nik39 9:24 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have only one USB connected to your computer when launching Scratch Live. After the program opens, then connect the second USB and assign it as your Core Audio device:)

Just tried it again to confirm. This is what is happening:

1. Connect USB A
Now SL got a connection to the mixer in SL mode
2. Connect USB B
Now another connection has been estables to the mixer in CoreAudio/Midi mode

3. Now when you disconnect USB B, SL should still keep the SL connection and SL should still play audio.

Sometimes it does continue to play, sometimes it just stops playing. This is unpredictable behaviour thus not usable IMHO.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:08 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

u have the 68 ?
what laptop u using with it if so ?

serato.com

In house i use home build desktop, 6930p for gigs
Henry GQ 6:47 PM - 25 January, 2011
well. im not concerned on the latency issues. i got everything turned up in my SL and its not even glitching. so midi ALL THE WAY
DJBIGWIZ 8:32 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
. i got everything turned up in my SL and its not even glitching.

that's because the 68 is using the SL drivers... if you use the asio or core drivers it wont be the same performance is what they are saying.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:56 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
well. im not concerned on the latency issues. i got everything turned up in my SL and its not even glitching. so midi ALL THE WAY

As do I. My Latency is on smallest setting.

Quote:

that's because the 68 is using the SL drivers... if you use the asio or core drivers it wont be the same performance is what they are saying.

Yup that's what i meant , see if he had read the other thread on this topic he would know this ;)

So would you sacrifice latency for midi? I defo wouldnt, id much rather keep my 68 for SL and if i want to map ableton(or another prog) id get a controller to do that.
Henry GQ 4:57 AM - 26 January, 2011
i did use the core drivers. and didnt see any difference...
DJBIGWIZ 6:14 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
i did use the core drivers. and didnt see any difference...

SSL runs on it's own drivers so you didn't use it with core.
nik39 7:36 PM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Just did that... disconnect the 2nd USB cable and SL crashed.
Henry GQ 7:41 PM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

same thing happened to me.
Henry GQ 10:59 PM - 5 April, 2011
are we still gonna let this mixer not become fully midi mapable ?
cuz if so this is bullshit.
Niro 12:40 AM - 6 April, 2011
+++1
Henry GQ 1:09 AM - 6 April, 2011
please serato.... sam.. someone make this happen. to pay $2600 for a mixer that doesnt do midi outside of serato is craaaaazy.

PLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:42 PM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you using Mac or PC? Does the same crash occur on both platforms?
Henry GQ 6:43 PM - 10 April, 2011
im using a mac..
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:45 PM - 10 April, 2011
Do you have a PC you can test this with? I'm curious if this is a Mac only bug :)
Henry GQ 9:46 PM - 10 April, 2011
i dont my pc is broke... go figure haha
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:47 PM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
i dont my pc is broke... go figure haha

Leave it where it lay (RIP PC) :)

I'll give it a go on a PC we have here at Rane
Dj-Pyro 1:54 AM - 19 March, 2012
So what's the word on this? Getting a 68 and really would like to use MIDI without having to use a 2nd usb. Seriously, it should've been like that since release. Also, why is it that Rane answers with "Serato needs to handle it", but no Serato peeps have responded in any of the MIDI threads? Unless I missed it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:50 PM - 19 March, 2012
Still no word on this.
Just to clarify... you can MIDI map any other software to the mixer.
You just can't do it using one computer while SSL is open.

I can't comment on why your not seeing any Serato mods chime in on this topic.
We are separate companies. Just know that there does need to be a software change on their end to get this to work.
morningstarr 12:24 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:
ok.. im seriously PISSED OFF that i have a $2600 mixer and it wont give us permission to midi map anything but VSL and SL. this is # BULLSHIT!

I cant midi map any functions on Mix Emergency or any other # of my choosing????!!! SERIOUSLY THATS A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!!
I OWN VSL. WHAT THE PROBLEM!?!?!?!

Rane. or Serato... who ever is in charge of this.. please change this IMMEDIATLEY!!!!

Ok so rane 68 needa 2 usbs 2 control midi on mixer with other programs and serato usb for serato so u can use the fx of serato on reason

+1 ON THIS THREAD IF U # AND LEAVE COMMENTS ENCOURAGING SERATON/RANE TO CHANGE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
morningstarr 12:25 AM - 20 March, 2012
yes 1 usb as sound card 2 usb for serato same time
Dj-Pyro 12:35 AM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:
Still no word on this.

We are separate companies. Just know that there does need to be a software change on their end to get this to work.

Zach, don't you guys communicate with each other? This was brought up over a year ago and none of you guys ever mentioned it? I understand it's their software, but it's your hardware... Not trying to be rude. Just seems like no one is trying to address the customers needs here.
Dj Nyce 1:54 AM - 20 March, 2012
so 68 came out and this was requested over a year ago with no resolution to date.

not looking too good for the 62 then
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:40 PM - 20 March, 2012
Quote:
Zach, don't you guys communicate with each other? This was brought up over a year ago and none of you guys ever mentioned it? I understand it's their software, but it's your hardware... Not trying to be rude. Just seems like no one is trying to address the customers needs here.

Rane hardware ships with it's own ASIO and Core Audio drivers which support midi. These drivers are used with 3rd party software applications.
When Serato uses our hardware, they change the product ID of our hardware. This means that our drivers do not recognize our device and are not loaded when a device is connected.
Serato then uses their own drivers, which do not provide midi support.

We would prefer that Serato use our drivers so that our devices work with third-party applications and Scratch Live with full MIDI support and have communicated that preference.
Dj-Pyro 6:50 PM - 20 March, 2012
OK, thanks. Could you tell me who would be the best person to talk to at Serato about this issue?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:47 PM - 20 March, 2012
You could PM any of the Serato support staff here or just email support@Serato.com.
I don't know who the best person would be to talk to about it though.
Serato
Brigid 10:09 PM - 20 March, 2012
Hey guys,
No need to PM us. Zach might not be aware, but Serato and Rane dev and engineers are talking about this behind the scenes and have been for a while. More on this soon!
Dj-Pyro 12:03 AM - 21 March, 2012
Good news! Thanks Brigid. Nice hat btw ;)
Henry GQ 3:40 AM - 21 March, 2012
yay! for brigid!

but might be a lil late with the whole serato thingy not working with ME
DJ Tapout 5:01 AM - 21 March, 2012
Quote:
Hey guys,
No need to PM us. Zach might not be aware, but Serato and Rane dev and engineers are talking about this behind the scenes and have been for a while. More on this soon!

+1 can not wait
erange 11:11 PM - 21 March, 2012
in the computer world, the key to longevity is upgrades. thats kind of why apple is the best. they update the hardware with software/firmware. we've had ONE firmware update on your supposed FLAGSHIP mixer since it was released. it took more than a year just to get the sound card option AVAILABLE. you guys need to huddle in the conference room/lab and get this resolved.

i sold my dim 800 mixer when i first got the 68. instead of picking up a 62, i bought another used djm800 to gig out & vdj with. that should tell you something.
Dj-Pyro 1:01 AM - 23 March, 2012
I don't have the 68 yet. Buying it for a new club. Seems like you guys at Serato are spread a little thin. I understand that the whole controller thing is where it's at for you guys financially, but I feel as though you guys are hurting yourselves in the long run. I'm seeing a lot more Traktor boxes in the club. I've personally seen a few friends make the switch to the dark side. The sad thing is that Serato users can't use the argument of Serato being stable anymore and that used to be THE selling point....
WarpNote 7:45 AM - 23 March, 2012
Pyro, the Sixty Eight is a kick ass mixer. I love mine! Also if someone wants to run Traktor on it, they can, although without timecodes. And the switch-over is so much better than hooking up boxes.
djcrap 6:50 PM - 23 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Rane hardware ships with it's own ASIO and Core Audio drivers which support midi. These drivers are used with 3rd party software applications.
When Serato uses our hardware, they change the product ID of our hardware. This means that our drivers do not recognize our device and are not loaded when a device is connected.
Serato then uses their own drivers, which do not provide midi support.

all i need is Serato to incorporate the Rane hardware Asio and core Audio drivers into the bridge sera to sound card tunnel and i will be a happy camper with my Rane 68

We would prefer that Serato use our drivers so that our devices work with third-party applications and Scratch Live with full MIDI support and have communicated that preference.
djcrap 6:52 PM - 23 March, 2012
^^^^^^^^ahahahaha quote fail........this is what i meant to say all i need is Serato to incorporate the Rane hardware Asio and core Audio drivers into the bridge sera to sound card tunnel and i will be a happy camper with my Rane 68
Dj-Pyro 6:14 PM - 29 June, 2012
OK, got the 68 now. Where we at with this?
Henry GQ 3:00 AM - 6 July, 2012
no where. u should have bought the 62 lol
Dj-Pyro 1:35 PM - 6 July, 2012
Had to get the 68 for my club. Need 4 channels. 62 has no ME support either :( Seems crazy that I can't do this with a mixer at this price.
Rane
TrevorW 3:57 PM - 6 July, 2012
Quote:
Seems crazy that I can't do this with a mixer at this price.

We have great Core Audio and ASIO drivers for the Sixty-Eight so you may use it with any software you like.
Dj-Pyro 4:50 PM - 6 July, 2012
That's nice, but I should able to midi map it to another program while using Serato without using two USB slots...
Rane
TrevorW 4:59 PM - 6 July, 2012
Sorry, that's up to Serato.
Dj-Pyro 5:09 PM - 6 July, 2012
I know :/
You-Lee 5:18 PM - 6 July, 2012
All this time the 68 has been out and its still not mappable is BS!!!!

Serato is full of it!!!
Henry GQ 11:21 PM - 8 July, 2012
i love how serato has gone totally corporate and no one gives a fuck about us anymore.

like.. we got our money lets run shit like McDonalds and give people all over the world a bad product!!!!
You-Lee 12:38 AM - 9 July, 2012
Quote:
i love how serato has gone totally corporate and no one gives a fuck about us anymore.

like.. we got our money lets run shit like McDonalds and give people all over the world a bad product!!!!

I won't say I love it. I DON'T! But I got you.

Serato just said FU to there customers. That's why nothing still hasn't been done about those piece of shit buttons the 68 has let alone the midi mapping. That's why serato has said a word about it.
You-Lee 1:11 AM - 9 July, 2012
Typo. That's why Serato hasn't said a word about it.
Henry GQ 11:58 PM - 10 July, 2012
yup. they said we'll continue to let everyone use ME and get addicted to the program we'll pull the plug and put all our resources into a new code... and waste more of everyones time. and just watch everyone get pissy and do nothing about it. awesome!
You-Lee 1:05 AM - 11 July, 2012
Quote:
yup. they said we'll continue to let everyone use ME and get addicted to the program we'll pull the plug and put all our resources into a new code... and waste more of everyones time. and just watch everyone get pissy and do nothing about it. awesome!

SERATO IS FULL OF SHHHHHHH!!!! That's the bottom line.
Dj Nyce 10:26 PM - 22 July, 2012
so this issue exists for the sixty-two as well. smdh.
Dj-Pyro 10:36 PM - 22 July, 2012
Not too surprised. We need to make some signs and picket Serato since it has nothing to do with Rane.
nik39 10:11 AM - 23 July, 2012
Quote:
so this issue exists for the sixty-two as well. smdh.

:(
Dj Nyce 4:56 AM - 28 July, 2012
is serato aware of this problem? trying to find out if they are even looking at this issue.
nik39 12:47 PM - 28 July, 2012
It's not a bug or something, so it's by design :(
Dj Nyce 1:37 PM - 28 July, 2012
still i think instead of crippling the mixer they should allow for its full functionality while ssl is running. a midi mixer is useless if you can't send midi when ssl is running.
You-Lee 2:03 PM - 28 July, 2012
Quote:
is serato aware of this problem? trying to find out if they are even looking at this issue.

They know all about the issue with the 68. SEARTO JUST SUCKS!!!!
First Aid 5:18 PM - 28 July, 2012
Mr. Zach from Rane stated in March in this thread.

Quote:
Still no word on this.

I am using a sixty-one and I love it.
Rane's mixers are very cool.
But Serato's software development doesn't seem to be cool...
Serato software restricts Rane mixers' function for no reason.
I hope this will be fixed soon.
You-Lee 5:29 PM - 28 July, 2012
Quote:
Mr. Zach from Rane stated in March in this thread.

Quote:
Still no word on this.

I am using a sixty-one and I love it.
Rane's mixers are very cool.
But Serato's software development doesn't seem to be cool...
I hope this will be fixed soon.

Again Serato Sucks!!!!
nik39 5:35 PM - 28 July, 2012
Quote:

Guys relax.

Just because you don't see a reason, that doesn't mean they don't have a reason.
First Aid 5:59 PM - 28 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Guys relax.

Just because you don't see a reason, that doesn't mean they don't have a reason.

Oh, yes, you are right, nik.
There might be a reason. (I don't think Serato sucks )
But at least even Rane side doesn't seem to know the reason. Hmmm..
Again hope it wil be fixed in the near future.
You-Lee 7:41 PM - 28 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Guys relax.

Oh, yes, you are right, nik.
There might be a reason. (I don't think Serato sucks )
But at least even Rane side doesn't seem to know the reason. Hmmm..
Again hope it wil be fixed in the near future.

Serato the company sucks. Near future? Really? Ask yourself this. How long has the 68 been out? How long ha the 62 been out? A lot of the major issues were addressed with the 62 and it's not even 6 months the 62 has been out. Even hardware issues. Which anyone with a 68 has a major hardware problem with those cue buttons. Reason? We know serato has a reason, that's why it's not done. The reason could be as simple as we don't want to or 1 person saying no. Doesn't matter what the reason is, that's totally unacceptable for the 3k for a 68 and all the time that has passed. Its BS!!!
Henry GQ 1:18 AM - 29 July, 2012
im selling my rane 68 at the end of August anyways. considering the 62 or other options(s)
You-Lee 2:05 AM - 29 July, 2012
Quote:
im selling my rane 68 at the end of August anyways. considering the 62 or other options(s)

You will love the 62 if you don't need 4 channels. I may sell my 68 also. Serato is not going to do anything about it and Rane isn't going to fix or replace the cue buttons. They SUCK!!!
WarpNote 9:34 AM - 29 July, 2012
Quote:

Considering the same thing, had a 62 on loan this weekend, great mixer. -> serato.com
nik39 12:06 PM - 29 July, 2012
Quote:

Remember ... the 62 has the same Midi "issue" as the 68!
erange 10:58 PM - 29 July, 2012
Does the DJM-900 have these same issues?
Dj Nyce 11:30 PM - 29 July, 2012
Quote:
Does the DJM-900 have these same issues?

nope. when using a djm-900 you would use an SL box. serato isn't even aware of the DJM. the djm is full midi.
Dj-Pyro 11:05 AM - 30 July, 2012
Yeah, this is really retarded. The worst part is that I don't see how it could be a problem to allow it. Doesn't make sense how we can use a non Serato mixer like a djm-900 and map the controls, but if we use a Rane mixer we're screwed. Doesn't really inspire users that want flexibility to go with Rane.
You-Lee 12:31 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Yeah, this is really retarded. The worst part is that I don't see how it could be a problem to allow it. Doesn't make sense how we can use a non Serato mixer like a djm-900 and map the controls, but if we use a Rane mixer we're screwed. Doesn't really inspire users that want flexibility to go with Rane.

Yes makes no sense.
Dj Nyce 3:01 PM - 30 July, 2012
another reason why you only see pioneer mixers in nightclubs. the mixer works exactly the same whether you use cd's or a DVS.
You-Lee 3:08 PM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
another reason why you only see pioneer mixers in nightclubs. the mixer works exactly the same whether you use cd's or a DVS.

Agreed
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:26 AM - 31 July, 2012
Hey guys,

Let me try and clarify why you can't currently MIDI map the Sixty-One, Two and Eight while Scratch Live is running.

To allow MIDI mapping of the mixers, the Rane Core Audio or ASIO drivers must be used. When running Scratch Live, we don't use these - we use our own drivers. The original reason for this is that our drivers provided lower latency than the Rane drivers did, which is important to many users. The way Scratch Live is written is to use these drivers, and to use other drivers would require a large re-write of how we do things. This isn't impossible, but it is a large chunk of work. It's definitely something we are looking into, but for now we have to use our drivers. We would also need to be sure that we can offer the same low latency.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer - we definitely aren't just blocking MIDI mapping for no reason.

Please hit me up if you have any questions.

Cheers.
Dj Nyce 6:40 AM - 31 July, 2012
thanks for the input Michael. i don't know the technical aspect of core audio, but can ssl forward midi events to core audio while still using the ssl drivers?

also why does ssl try to grab the second usb even if the input is set to ph/cd 1/2 and ph/cd 3/4?
First Aid 6:50 AM - 31 July, 2012
There are some technical information on Core Audio and Serato Drivers' latency.
Check out the link :)

Rane 62 signal flow questions
serato.com
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:14 AM - 31 July, 2012
Quote:
Hey guys,

Let me try and clarify why you can't currently MIDI map the Sixty-One, Two and Eight while Scratch Live is running.

To allow MIDI mapping of the mixers, the Rane Core Audio or ASIO drivers must be used. When running Scratch Live, we don't use these - we use our own drivers. The original reason for this is that our drivers provided lower latency than the Rane drivers did, which is important to many users. The way Scratch Live is written is to use these drivers, and to use other drivers would require a large re-write of how we do things. This isn't impossible, but it is a large chunk of work. It's definitely something we are looking into, but for now we have to use our drivers. We would also need to be sure that we can offer the same low latency.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer - we definitely aren't just blocking MIDI mapping for no reason.

Please hit me up if you have any questions.

Cheers.

yeh keep latency to a minimum for us skratchaz, no 1 priorety (for me) is to feel like vinyl....thx
Henry GQ 1:40 AM - 1 August, 2012
yay.. finally an answer! thnx michael.

and basically what he said is.. u will never see this happen, cuz of the work.. understandable.. and not happy about it . poop!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:12 AM - 1 August, 2012
Hey guys,

After re-looking at what I posted yesterday, I can see that I may have posted something unintentionally misleading. When I said our drivers provided lower latency, I was meaning in the past tense. The current Rane Core Audio/ASIO drivers from initial testing look to be as good if not better. Hence why we are wanting to move towards using them.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:13 AM - 1 August, 2012
Hey Dj Nyce,

Quote:
can ssl forward midi events to core audio while still using the ssl drivers?

No it can't.

Quote:
why does ssl try to grab the second usb even if the input is set to ph/cd 1/2 and ph/cd 3/4?

What do you mean by "grab the second usb"?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:15 AM - 1 August, 2012
Hey Henry GQ,

Quote:
and basically what he said is.. u will never see this happen, cuz of the work..

That's not what I said at all. We really are looking to move to using the Rane Core Audio/ASIO drivers at some point, what I wanted to make clear is that it wasn't something easy that we could do quickly.

Also I wanted to let you all know that there is a technical reason as to why this is, not some random reason that we don't do it :)
Dj Nyce 2:47 AM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
Hey Dj Nyce,

Quote:

No it can't.

Quote:
why does ssl try to grab the second usb even if the input is set to ph/cd 1/2 and ph/cd 3/4?

when i plug in both usb cables with ssl started, both usb connections are being utilized by ssl drivers. the 62 is not seen by the computer even if the pgm 1/2 source is set to cd/phono 1-4. and it doesn't matter the order they are plugged in.

when ssl is closed, the computer sees the 62 on usb a or usb b.
Rane
TrevorW 4:05 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Dj Nyce,

Quote:

No it can't.

Quote:

when i plug in both usb cables with ssl started, both usb connections are being utilized by ssl drivers. the 62 is not seen by the computer even if the pgm 1/2 source is set to cd/phono 1-4. and it doesn't matter the order they are plugged in.

Hey Dj Nyce!

If I am understanding this right, you're plugging both of the mixer's USB ports into the same computer? If that is the case...

We didn't design any of our dual port Serato mixers to have both ports plugged into one computer. While this may be possible to do, we did not design the device and the drivers to have this sort of configuration, and doing so may result in undefined behavior. It is not officially recommended to plug both USB ports into one computer.

That being said, the computer views each USB port as a separate device. Almost as if you are plugging two mixers into one computer. The connection between the computer and the device is also established regardless of what the Source Select knob is set to. This is probably why you are seeing SSL trying to connect to both ports when you plug them both in.

Hope that sheds some light, but again, plugging both USB ports into one computer is not recommended.
Henry GQ 9:54 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Dj Nyce,

Quote:

No it can't.

Quote:

Hey Dj Nyce!

If I am understanding this right, you're plugging both of the mixer's USB ports into the same computer? If that is the case...

We didn't design any of our dual port Serato mixers to have both ports plugged into one computer. While this may be possible to do, we did not design the device and the drivers to have this sort of configuration, and doing so may result in undefined behavior. It is not officially recommended to plug both USB ports into one computer.

That being said, the computer views each USB port as a separate device. Almost as if you are plugging two mixers into one computer. The connection between the computer and the device is also established regardless of what the Source Select knob is set to. This is probably why you are seeing SSL trying to connect to both ports when you plug them both in.

Hope that sheds some light, but again, plugging both USB ports into one computer is not recommended.

o wow. i was just about to buy the 62, thinking that i could use the other usb as the midi assign in ME, now i cant. fudge.
nik39 11:02 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
To allow MIDI mapping of the mixers,

... you could create a virtual Midi device. Is that not possible?
nik39 11:03 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:

Hey Trevor,

how comes that...

a. this was most of the times possible with the 68, and
b. it was even suggested by Rane mods...?
Dj Nyce 12:57 AM - 2 August, 2012
is it possible for changes to be made to ssl to ignore the 2nd usb device if one is already in use? i would be fine with having to use two usb cables to get this functionality.

flow would look like this...

ssl starts
hardware check
no ssl hardware detected
usb a is plugged in
ssl hardware detected (usb a)
do something
usb b is plugged in
ssl hardware detected (usb b).
ignore ssl hardware on usb b because usb a is already in use
Rane
TrevorW 4:17 PM - 2 August, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Trevor,

how comes that...

a. this was most of the times possible with the 68, and
b. it was even suggested by Rane mods...?

Hey Nik,

Plugging in both ports to one computer does work sometimes, even most of the time. Thing is is that we didn't design it to do that, and it results in undefined behavior. Undefined as in, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and we can't predict it. It seems that if you get the order of operations right, it works, but sometimes it doesn't, even when you get the order of operations right. (You gotta work around SSL snatching the device)

As far as mods recommending to plug both ports into one computer, hopefully they were also identifying it as a rough workaround and clearly stating that it is not officially supported. I do know some people have successfully used it as a workaround. We just can't guarantee the results.

Sorry, I know that sounds really political, but that's the honest truth. If it works for you and you understand that it is an unsupported workaround, go for it, I just can't promise what kind of results you will see.

We are working on a long term solution to this multi-client problem.
nik39 12:54 AM - 3 August, 2012
Thanks for the answers Trev. Everything you said makes sense to me :)

Quote:
Quote:

Michael, could you answer this please?
djpuma_gemini 10:14 PM - 6 September, 2012
+1 for the 62
Henry GQ 6:58 AM - 8 September, 2012
+1 for the 62
Dj-Pyro 2:29 PM - 8 September, 2012
+1 for 62 and +1 for 68
First Aid 5:58 PM - 12 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I know what you are saying.
It's like this, right?
djfdrk.blogspot.com
(I used to use this dj software called Tra**** from German, and I hate it except this function.lol)
You-Lee 6:48 PM - 12 September, 2012
+ 1 for 62 & 68
Dj-Pyro 11:56 AM - 24 October, 2012
Is this going to happen? Really not happy that I can't do something that I thought would be a given...
Ziggenpuss 12:44 PM - 24 October, 2012
I'm giving up waiting...
Dj Nyce 1:26 PM - 24 October, 2012
It's been quiet on this front
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:21 PM - 24 October, 2012
Quote:
Is this going to happen? Really not happy that I can't do something that I thought would be a given...

We (Rane) hope that it does and are pulling for it every chance we get. The change needs to be done within the Scratch Live software.
the smooth operator 2:35 AM - 10 November, 2012
i swear when i was messing with the bridge it let me midi map ableton. so why then couldn't it be done with mixemergency
the smooth operator 9:00 PM - 5 February, 2013
last night i used two usbs for 3 hours at a gig to have ME controlled on the 68. it worked with out a problem. I've tried it a few times and it was normally afteri midi mapped both a scratch live function like an effect and a mixemergency functon. I used the mic controls for the left and right deck effect levels in ME. I'm going to keep experimenting. It felt pretty amazing to focus on the mixer and no other secondary midi controllers