DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 68 vs 62, should I sell my 68 and "downgrade"?

WarpNote 2:58 PM - 27 July, 2012
Been running the Sixty Eight for about 1,5 yrs now. Just went by my local DJ store today, and the let me borrow the Sixty Two for the weekend, free of charge. Good times :D

Been testing it with 2 laptops, Bridge, FX inserts and ME, and will continue to test it during the weekend. Have a gig sat, but dont dare to take it out for playing, as I borrowed it for free.

Loving the buttons, upgraded FX and the easy switch over. What Im kind of missing though, is 3 bands hardware eq for the bridge & SP6, having completely separate channels for them both. Although the filter goes a long way. Would be cool if the 68 got the upgraded FX as well, especially the resonance settings. Also, actually not loving the joystick, having issues midi mapping it to the beat settings for internal SSL FX. (The 68 has separate buttons instead.) But I guess Ill be getting used to it. (I never played much on the 57..).

Normally I dont use the bridge playing out, and Im a 2 channel kind of DJ, sometimes I actually plug in 2 mics, but I guess I could do with an extra mic mixer for those instances.

So, any of you cats done the "crossgrade"? Should I just do it, or stay with my old mixer?
aLiEn 6:11 PM - 27 July, 2012
I just switched from a Sixty-Eight to a Sixty-Two this week. I'm selling my Sixty-Eight...nuff said! =)
WarpNote 6:20 PM - 27 July, 2012
Yeah, been messing with the 62 for a few hours now, really liking the non crowded fader area.
aj5000 6:51 PM - 27 July, 2012
I own a 62 and at one of my residencies there a 68 and man I've try so hard to try to like the 68 but no dice . I just don't like it!!
1 Up-faders suck to close to each other can't cut with them very well
2 Cute points buttons don't work & are too hard
3. EFX are lame screen is way to small & FX are to harsh and lower the master volume at times
3. Filter is to sharp compar to the 62 filter
4. In the dark u can hardly see if your touching the filter or the eq it sucks I messed up a few times

The Rane 62 is not prefect but I love it and I'm getting better and better using it!!!

Oh tho the DJM-800 is a cheaply made mixer and seeing my friend's 800 falling apart!! I still rather used that then a 68 if needed a 4 channel mixer SMH
Dj Nyce 6:57 PM - 27 July, 2012
i passed on the 68 even tho i wanted one really bad. i'm not a fan of the layout and the price. i need my mixer to be symmetrical.

anyways i love the 62, everything missing from the 68. only downside is that it's only 2 channels.

p.s. the core audio/midi issue that plagued the 68 is present with the 62. (when serato is running 62 can't send midi out or use core audio) it is a serato problem.
WarpNote 7:57 PM - 27 July, 2012
Ive gotten used to the filters, no issues there for me. As I used it in no dark conditions at first, I know where everything is. And Ill take the 698 over a djm 800 any day. Youre right about the cues though, the 62 buttons are real smooth, still the dicers are even better imo. And a dont really have an issue with the fx screen either, sure it could be better, but works well for me.

Really DIGGING the easy switchover, thru mode on 62.
Any of you 62 guys managed to map the joystick for SSL internal fx beat count?

Just did a home session with ME, nice to see everything working smooth.

Will put the 68 up for sale locally, still Im probably not switching if it means much money out of my pocket....
nik39 10:49 AM - 28 July, 2012
Quote:
Really DIGGING the easy switchover, thru mode on 62.

ΓΌ1
nik39 10:49 AM - 28 July, 2012
Uhm.. +1.
Trinicapone 2:11 PM - 28 July, 2012
Dude 62 all the way we have an sl3 and pio 800 shit have dust on it now the 62 is hot shit! Just my .02
WarpNote 2:35 AM - 30 July, 2012
Quote:
Any of you 62 guys managed to map the joystick for SSL internal fx beat count?

@nik39, did you ever try this? Kind of a basic request no?
Kepik 4:22 PM - 30 July, 2012
Had the 68 and also got the 62. Sold the 68, but at an unfortunate much lower price. The updated hardware features on the 62, IMO makes it far superior, despite it not being 4 channels with 2 mic inputs.
s3kn0tr0n1c 5:38 PM - 30 July, 2012
I have both and like both mixers.

If you only need 2 channels id go with 62 but if you need 3 or 4 go with 68.

Rane defo took what they learned from 68 into 62. Better buttons, easier switch over of laptops, updated fx/filters etc. Also has all magnetic faders where the 68 only has magnetic for cross fader.

There are things i prefer on 68 tho-

The straight line of gain>eqs>filter knobs>fx send>cue on each channel. Much prefer the fx insert right above PGM faders which allows cutting and punching in fx easier.

The ability to have button led's off when not selected(this could be updated into 62 tho)

Routing sp6 into spare channel (i use 3 decks) allows you to see levels on meter to cue easier. Plus you have full eq/filter controls.

It depends on your style and how many decks you plan on using. Both mixers rock tho.
Dj Ace 3:08 AM - 31 July, 2012
Love the workflow of both of them...and the cue buttons are not a problem since I us the dicers
WarpNote 6:09 AM - 1 August, 2012
The 62 I had on loan this weekend sadly went back to the store tuesday,
I did hold on it for another day ;) Great mixer, tried it with regular 2 deck DJing, the bridge and ME.

If my 68 sells, Ill switch. I was kind of annoyed by the constant on state of the lights though.
The mixer needs an led off/state like the 68, all in due time I guess... Actually prefer the knobs on the 68, except for loop & library scroll, but no big deal. The new ones are good too.
WhattaMac 10:02 PM - 3 August, 2012
Played on a 62 in the store for an hour or so, liked it and would buy it but alas I own (2) 68's and don't want to downgrade. It was nice I liked the buttons and such (but never hated my 68's buttons) and the joystick was nice. However I prefer the layout of the 68 better. I am not a scratch/cut with the line fader kinda guy so the faders being close together aren't an issue for me..

I like the mic pre's on the 68 better. (2 of em) and the SPDIF inputs for CDJ's is nice..

For me I wouldn't sell my 68 to get a 62, but thats just me... The 62 is nice tho!!