Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

HELP! startup device failed message.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Rolando 5:05 AM - 6 August, 2004
i have a 1.33 ghz, 12" powerbook with 1.25 gig of ram running OS 10.3.4. I have othing else connected to the USB ports. I've had SSL for 3 months now, and I've never needed a power adapter for the box. What's a little odd though is that after initially working on both of my USB ports, the SSL box won't work on one of the USB ports. Well, last night, before my gig the "startup device failed" came up. i restarted the computer several times and got the same message every time. Any ideas why this would happen now? After all this time without needing a power adapter?
Serato
Josh 5:12 AM - 6 August, 2004
This is going to sound like a real cop out, and I certainly don't intend that at all. But you should seriously consider asking apple that question...
Rolando 5:40 AM - 6 August, 2004
Wow. Yeah Josh, That sounds like a pretty bad cop out. I was actually expecting better from you guys.
Serato
Josh 6:46 AM - 6 August, 2004
heh, don't write us off yet, I was just referring to this thread:

www.scratchlive.net

Where our testing indicates that Apple laptops are not meeting the USB spec in this regard. The fact that it happened suddenly after seemingly not being a problem, would perhaps point to circumstances better able to be narrowed down by the manufacturer of the laptop.

Since all our apple laptops needed the power supply, we've not experienced this sudden revert to needing one as far as I'm aware.

We're not leaving you in the cold whatsoever, when AJ sees this he may well have some more info for you, not to mention the guys at Rane...

When I said I didn't want to sound like copping out I meant it. If we can help you with this, we absolutely will. Simply because another manufacturer is throwing us a slight curve ball, doesn't mean we'll turn around and say "not out problem"... If it means testing, finding workarounds etc etc, we'll do it. The point I was making was; Apple could help.
DJ White Lightning 8:58 PM - 7 August, 2004
Quote:
This is going to sound like a real cop out, and I certainly don't intend that at all. But you should seriously consider asking apple that question...

I think you guys should be asking apple this question. Being that your a manufaturer representing possibbly thousands upon thouasnds of Apple users they are more apt to listen top you guys then just one caller asking a poor Tech service question that he will get shuffeled around for days while they figure out the right department to ask this question.

Apple tech support is good but not great. They will ignor and not answer this question and I'll bet they will say the same thing as you - ask Rane...

Funny (correct me if I am wrong, previous TFS users) but once again here is a problem that I never heard about with TFS and its manifesting quite often here (with MACS). I still like SSL beter and just the fact we are here debating this with company techs and employees shows true dedication to this product. I will never go back. But I really think its your companys job to contact apple and keep on their asses until they answer you abou this issue.

Thanks,
Jamie
DJ White Lightning 9:00 PM - 7 August, 2004
and in the meantime you guys should add a DC or AC Power Plug with all new systems until this is figured out. After all TFS came with a plug for the Scratch Amp.
SpinThis! 6:29 PM - 9 August, 2004
remember adding a 9v adapter just complicates distribution to other countries since you need multiple versions.
DJ White Lightning 8:20 PM - 9 August, 2004
Quote:
remember adding a 9v adapter just complicates distribution to other countries since you need multiple versions.

Oh, good point. or maybe with the European version they can send an adapter.
SpinThis! 3:07 AM - 11 August, 2004
I wouldn't mind seeing rane send you one if you needed it. when i got a viewsonic monitor years ago, i needed a mac adapter. all it took was a phone call and they sent one out.