DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

You know you're a DJ when....

Wall•E 7:17 PM - 2 December, 2010
You know you're a DJ when you use Serato as your default music player.

What else can anyone come up with?
philldafunk 7:19 PM - 2 December, 2010
It's hard to listen to a song for more than 1.5 min
ninos 7:56 PM - 2 December, 2010
you still refer to cd's as records :)
Wazo 8:05 PM - 2 December, 2010
i use serato as my main player all the time. i dont have anythig loaded to itunes. all serato. i find its easier and i can organise as i go.

oh yeah, you know youre a DJ when you try beatmatch everything you hear. like the indicators on your car and the radio etc...
DJ Dac 8:22 PM - 2 December, 2010
when you spend all day at work on here...
jwagner 9:41 PM - 2 December, 2010
When the first two hours of going to a club on an off night that has a bad dj is hell because you notice every single thing the dj is doing wrong that you wouldn't have noticed if you weren't a dj.

And after 2 hours you drown your annoyance in booze and have an alright night, cause youre too drunk to notice.
Dj_KaGeN 10:57 PM - 2 December, 2010
when you can listen to your OWN recorded set and not find any mistakes.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:06 PM - 2 December, 2010
you start threads that several other djs have already made

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com
Wazo 11:08 PM - 2 December, 2010
Quote:

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

you have a list of all the threads ever made here and can list them off the top of your head numerically.
jwagner 11:15 PM - 2 December, 2010
you know you're a thread biter when....

Quote:

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com
DJ Lewshis 3:49 AM - 3 December, 2010
You know you're a real DJ when you've done a gig to have fun and not for the money.
jwagner 4:58 AM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
You know you're a freejay when you've done a gig to "get exposure" and not for money.

fixed.
ta2423 5:18 AM - 3 December, 2010
Fun for me but damn if Im not getting greenbacks at the end of the night.
scllab 7:10 AM - 3 December, 2010
You know you're a real DJ if you already have in mind several tracks which would compliment the song you are currently listening to while shopping at the mall. Damn that's a lot of prepositions.
DJ TOGTFO 8:50 AM - 3 December, 2010
You know you're a DJ when you read threads like this and think its gay as hell.
jwagner 9:07 AM - 3 December, 2010
You know you're a dj when you beat dj hero level 6 with 5 gold stars.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:37 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
You know you're a real DJ when you've done a gig to have fun and not for the money.

you know your a real DJ when you finally figure out thats a bullshit statment
DJ Pullout 3:52 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

hahahaha. Oh man this made me laugh. lol
DJ Pullout 3:53 PM - 3 December, 2010
Bezzle is on fire today. lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:20 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Bezzle is on fire today. lol

that was posted yesterday LOL
howcome 4:37 PM - 3 December, 2010
You know you're a dj when you catch yourself air scratching to music in public.
BERTO 5:01 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

+1 or making scratch noises to songs while they play
DJ Dac 5:04 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

you know your a drunken sorority girl when... haha um hey, can i make the song go werka werka werka, while spilling here suggary ass drink all over the place...
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

you know your a drunken sorority girl when... haha um hey, can i make the song go werka werka werka, while spilling here suggary ass drink all over the place...

lol im glad you know what it feels like to be a drunk sorority girl
DJ Dac 5:11 PM - 3 December, 2010
well i guess i am what i eat.... yeah that was bad...
CAPSLOCKED 5:16 PM - 3 December, 2010
you're at a club listening to the other dj and knowing what songs' gonna play next
BERTO 5:30 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

sorority girls are not something to be proud of .... at all
DJ Dac 5:38 PM - 3 December, 2010
it was a long time ago... I'm and old man now...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:04 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

NICE!!!!!!!!!!
Bigga Bounce Ent 6:08 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Or for us reggae dj's pressing that imaginary horn button, and all your friends now what your doin and join in and sumone says PPPPUUUULLL UUUUP!!!!!
Bigga Bounce Ent 6:08 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Audio1 6:38 PM - 3 December, 2010
you spend more time with serato than with your wife/gf/mutual partner
Audio1 6:38 PM - 3 December, 2010
"Her name is SERATA!"
jwagner 7:22 PM - 3 December, 2010
If I was gonna marry a girl whose last name is serato I'd be one of those new wave "progressive" husbands that change their last name to their wifes.
Wazo 8:00 PM - 3 December, 2010
i would NEVER use the womans last name. its just not right. those progressive "men" are just wusses who were told what to do
DJ Lewshis 9:59 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I'm gonna have to disagree. If you DJ for the money and only the money you may be called a "DJ." But I said Real DJ.
Real DJs love the art of DJing as a whole and would DJ for people just because they have fun doing it. When I DJ I feed off of the crowd, so if they're having a good time, I am too.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:07 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm gonna have to disagree..

see above..

If your good at something never do it for free

- Joker
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:09 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

I'm gonna have to disagree. If you DJ for the money and only the money you may be called a "DJ." But I said Real DJ.
Real DJs love the art of DJing as a whole and would DJ for people just because they have fun doing it. When I DJ I feed off of the crowd, so if they're having a good time, I am too.

Question for ya lew, lets say your a DJ and you just do it for the love, your invited to a party and some bitch trips and spills her pitcher of beer all over your mixer turntables and computer........how much of a real DJ are you now that you have no equipment and no funds to replace sed equipment
DJ Lewshis 10:11 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Question for ya lew, lets say your a DJ and you just do it for the love, your invited to a party and some bitch trips and spills her pitcher of beer all over your mixer turntables and computer........how much of a real DJ are you now that you have no equipment and no funds to replace sed equipment

That's why you sign a contract beforehand that says whoever you're doing it for covers any damages that are not your fault.
Wazo 10:12 PM - 3 December, 2010
^^ i agree with Lewis to a point. we all bought gear and played with it and had no gigs when we started. you dont get gigs then learn and buy DJ stuff.

eg: my brother could spill his drink on my shit at home, i dont charge him to listen cause im a "real" DJ. if i had a house party at home, i dont charge friends to come over and hang out.

its for the love of the music and the creative outlet. but DJ'ing out in a club with ALL your gear for free on a regular is another story. so to a point im with Lewis.
Wazo 10:14 PM - 3 December, 2010
we can all have our shit stolen, broken, split on, cummed on, farted on, shit on, dropped, puked on etc....

but thats life and i can say the same about my car. i dont charge my friends to get a ride if they need one. and my car is insured.
Wazo 10:18 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

see above..

- Joker

so you'll never get good at anything in life with that attitude.

how did you get good at DJ'ing in the first place? someone pay you to learn? no/

how did you get good at driving, you paid for that.

How did you get good at archiving serato forum posts? Chad isnt paying you.

etc....
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:18 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
^^ i agree with Lewis to a point. we all bought gear and played with it and had no gigs when we started. you dont get gigs then learn and buy DJ stuff.

eg: my brother could spill his drink on my shit at home, i dont charge him to listen cause im a "real" DJ. if i had a house party at home, i dont charge friends to come over and hang out.

its for the love of the music and the creative outlet. but DJ'ing out in a club with ALL your gear for free on a regular is another story. so to a point im with Lewis.

I agree with you two on the fact that yes you should get into it for the love of the music. There are alot of djs out there who get into it soley for other reasons, pussy, money, attn. So yes getting into it for love is imoportant for being a "real" DJ

But what im stressing is im fairly sure Lew has never spun at a club, had to deal with the politics of club life, had to deal with crowds, had to be there on nights you dont want to be there, been paid a large amount to do a gig. Getting paid to do what your good at is a natural step in that evolution. Theres no shame in getting paid and theres rally no honor in doing it for free. I said the EXACT same thing as him when i was getting my first gigs, that i was in it for the love and the money dosent matter ect ect.......you dont learn what it really is until you get out there.
Wazo 10:20 PM - 3 December, 2010
but a continuous outside gig with all your gear for free isnt cool.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:20 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

see above..

- Joker

so you'll never get good at anything in life with that attitude.
quote]

That dosent even make sense, you get paid for being good AFTER you get good, you get good BEFORE you get paid
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

Pretty much what im saying. I know WAAAY to many DJs (myself included at one point) who are so in love with it that they do free gigs as a badge of honor....all the while the promoter\manager\owner\venue are making a killing off yourhard work. If your going to put the investment of time, money, resources, to get good and amas a great music collection and have it all organised and in high quality and put in the time to know yuor craft then by all means get the money you earned
DJ Lewshis 10:24 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:

Do it for free at a club regularly with my own equipment? I didn't mean that. I meant like parties, sometimes at clubs, radio station guest appearance, etc.
Plus, don't most clubs already have equipment?

Quote:
But what im stressing is im fairly sure Lew has never spun at a club, had to deal with the politics of club life, had to deal with crowds, had to be there on nights you dont want to be there, been paid a large amount to do a gig.

Not yet, but I'm working on a 2011 deal.
DjLouSince82 10:25 PM - 3 December, 2010
Rode 45miles on your bike to buy 6 records back in the day ..OC to LA

bob your head to any beat from any genre to see what you can mix it with

hardcore dj when you use to use the 5 finger discount to get some new shit
DJ Lewshis 10:27 PM - 3 December, 2010
I messed up on that last one:

Do it for free at a club regularly with my own equipment? I didn't mean that. I meant like certain parties, rarely at clubs, radio station guest DJ, etc.
Wazo 10:28 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty much what im saying. I know WAAAY to many DJs (myself included at one point) who are so in love with it that they do free gigs as a badge of honor....all the while the promoter\manager\owner\venue are making a killing off yourhard work. If your going to put the investment of time, money, resources, to get good and amas a great music collection and have it all organised and in high quality and put in the time to know yuor craft then by all means get the money you earned

agreed
Wazo 10:30 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
I messed up on that last one:

Do it for free at a club regularly with my own equipment? I didn't mean that. I meant like certain parties, rarely at clubs, radio station guest DJ, etc.

its all good and yes clubs have their own stuff. (supposed to)
Dj Bacik 10:54 PM - 3 December, 2010
I've done free gigs for fund raisers and benefits. I've also done them for friends throwing house parties. And if there is one thing I learned it's never bring your A List equipment to a house party.
Wazo 10:56 PM - 3 December, 2010
^^ exactly unless all you own is that. then you have to make arrangements.
scllab 2:14 AM - 4 December, 2010
You know you're a real DJ when you argue whether money is a crucial aspect of being a DJ.
DJ Remy USA 3:43 AM - 4 December, 2010
You know its real when you still buy doubles!
bill-e 3:54 AM - 4 December, 2010
lol lewshis is like 12 he ain't got bills and shit
DJ Lewshis 6:29 AM - 4 December, 2010
Quote:
lol lewshis is like 12 he ain't got bills and shit

What? 12? Naw. Try 15 :)
ninos 7:09 AM - 4 December, 2010
bahaha
MelonHead 1:51 PM - 4 December, 2010
you know you're a DJ when...

-- customers at Guitar Center's DJ & Pro Audio is looking for you instead of the actual employee that works there..
djxatl 7:40 AM - 5 December, 2010
Quote:

-- customers at Guitar Center's DJ & Pro Audio is looking for you instead of the actual employee that works there..

I also feel this way at best buy
BERTO 4:58 PM - 5 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I also feel this way at best buy

and car dealers
Audio1 11:35 PM - 5 December, 2010
you know you're a "REAL" DJ when...

You are the only DJ using turntables.

I did a gig once this year where every DJ or trio of DJ's were mixing off ableton. I was the only one who actually scratched, juggled or DJing with decks.

Sad.
Audio1 11:36 PM - 5 December, 2010
Nothing funnier than 3 guys behind a laptop acting like they are doing something epic.
DJNick70508 1:02 AM - 6 December, 2010
When at your high school the guy "djing" is using a mp3
ta2423 1:04 AM - 6 December, 2010
I would hope everyone in this forum is using mp3 or mp4
scllab 1:13 AM - 6 December, 2010
Quote:
I would hope everyone in this forum is using mp3 or mp4

Indeed
DJNick70508 2:12 AM - 6 December, 2010
Nah. He was using an MP3 Player
ta2423 4:22 AM - 6 December, 2010
Yep... By the time high school generation is in the club scene Im sure we will be seeing alot more of that. "hope not" Hopefully the turntabalists are passing it down to their kids and keeping it alive. I can see 15 years from now a turntable will be seen just as if someone walked around talking on brick cell phone.
There is no fun in djing when you dont have to work at it to be good.
djbanno 1:07 PM - 6 December, 2010
...you feel old.
stevie o 5:48 PM - 6 December, 2010
when you realize 90% of the Djs on Hot 97 (new York) can't mix.
sacrilicious 6:41 PM - 6 December, 2010
...when you have better speakers than the venue unplugged on your living room floor
ta2423 9:11 PM - 6 December, 2010
Quote:
...when you have better speakers than the venue unplugged on your living room floor

Doesnt make you a dj... But +1
DJ Deebar 9:59 PM - 6 December, 2010
...you just don't mix, you also innovate and contribute new ideas to improve oneself and also to others who aspires to be a DJ. ^_^
Phil3345 8:37 AM - 15 December, 2010
..you dont get up till after 11 am everyday coz ur still tired from last night
Phil3345 12:02 PM - 11 January, 2011
When u spend time on the fone to apple because ur macbook pro has crashed again