Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SSL Freezes (Mac)

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Stuart Ramdeen 11:52 PM - 4 August, 2004
I had a tune playing on deck 2 and was scratching using a cbr 256k stereo mp3 on deck 1. All was going well for about 15 minutes and I was scratching as bad as usual ;-)
Then all of a sudden SSL just freezes. The audio stops and no matter what I do to the control cd it has no effect on the ssl screen.
All of the knobs and sliders still work in SSL, although now they don't actually do anything. I can for instance change it to internal mode and try to continue the tune that has stopped halfway through, but nothing actually happens when I click on play.

The browsing works, I can see all of my tunes. I can even drag a new tune onto either deck, but it just won't play at all.
If I click on setup, again, all of the buttons click and highlight as they should. The sliders move, the knobs twist, but nothing actually happens. If I play the ssl control cd the circles do not appear nor do the digits in the grid display move.

any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? Whist this is going on, there is nothing at all in my system log that is bad. Also, a quick top -du reveals that Scratch LIVE is taking up 0.9% processor time.

I try and quit, it quits. I reload and all I get is the SSL grey screen with the spinning wheel. I do a force quit. Scratch LIVE! disappears from my open programs list in the force quit menu, but it's still in the dock and it's still actually open. I control click and force quit it from the dock. It disappears from the screen, but the icon is still in the dock with a black triangle underneath it. I try to reload it once more from the Applications folder but I get the following error:

"The operation could not be completed
An unexpected error has occurred (error code -600)."

After a reboot, all is fine and I can't get it to do it again. This has happened now about 5 times and it always seems to be when I'm moving the vinyl/control cd back and forward really really slowly so it's only barely making ssl move the song back and forward.

Oh well, enough for now. I'm gonna give it a rest and go watch Scratch

stu
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 12:02 AM - 5 August, 2004
What version are you experiencing this with?
Stuart Ramdeen 1:24 AM - 5 August, 2004

stu
Stuart Ramdeen 2:38 PM - 7 August, 2004
ok, exactly the same happened again today. I'm using the cds, 'clip cueing' a song ready to release it in the mix and SSL starts to stutter and then just gives up on me. same error as above. force quit, no help. restart is the only way

stu
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 12:59 AM - 10 August, 2004
Have you tried exiting the normal way? Have you tried unplugging and replugging the interface?
Stuart Ramdeen 10:23 AM - 10 August, 2004
urgh. that should of read 'SLIP CUEING' rather than clip cueing. Dam late night typing.

I haven't tried unplugging and plugging when this happens. I will next time. I just wish I could reproduce it reliably!!!! bloody intermittent problems. Exiting the normal way works when it first freezes, but trying to reload it just gives you the grey screen which requires a restart. I'm using the adapter btw. 9v 500mA

s
Lephunk 10:39 PM - 11 August, 2004
try downloading the new mac update... 10.3.5... it has some usb fixes i believe...
djkenace 1:19 PM - 14 August, 2004
10.3.5 corrected my gray screen after shutting serato scratch down and rebooting up