DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Get your fader working like a charm.

s3kn0tr0n1c 12:35 PM - 15 November, 2010
For scratchers and people who like really slidy faders and super quick cut in times.

For a while ive just been cutting with the fader as stock issue but last week it started to feel a little gritty. So thinking it was prob some dirt on the fader rails i took it out to clean.

It turned out to be the spring that rests on the underside of the rail-

www.skratchworx.com

When fader was being moved from side to side the spring was sort of stuttering on rail making it feel bad/gritty. So what i did was to move the spring as described on this page to the top side of rail -

www.skratchworx.com

Now it looks like this - www.skratchworx.com

Also when i had it opened I put a little plastic washer on the rail between the side wall and the rubber stopper on rail. This now stops the fader from having too much dead spot as it cant move as far on the rail. Just a REALLY thin nylon washer was used - about3/4mm thick. I did this as opposed to bending the hall effect sensor as described on skratchworx mod page.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT HAS MADE. Defo makes my 68 a better skqwatch friendly mixer.
Res-Q 5:34 PM - 15 November, 2010
The spring mod is nice s3k, I did it on my 57, but didnt do it on the 68 as I'm quite happy with the feel of the crossfader as it is (although they're the same manufacture).
I'd be quite interested to see a pic of what you're explaining on your last paragraph, I cant really figure what you're doing there. What's a plastic washer?
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:29 AM - 16 November, 2010
yeh i was happy at first with fader till it spring started "bouncing" and made it feel gritty.

Im well happy with the feel of it now.

See this pic - www.skratchworx.com

You can see the rubber stoppers at each end of the top rail, well between the rubber stopper and the side panel. i put a plastic/nylon washer - www.modelfixings.co.uk

Do do this i had to remove the side panel, place washer on rail then screw side panel back on. This now stops the fader from being able to move 3/4mm as far hence shortening the dead spot. I only had to do this on one side of fader as the other side was already perfect.

The washer i used was a little too thick to start with so i rubbed it on fine sand paper to thin it down to desired thickness.
Res-Q 6:28 PM - 16 November, 2010
oh ok I see, now that's moding.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:29 AM - 16 May, 2012
Heres how it looks-

Left side - i48.tinypic.com

Right side- i45.tinypic.com

Top view - i46.tinypic.com

If you do this just do one side at a time buy unscrewing 1 end piece, slide on washers, screw back on. Then repeat for other side.
dj shadow from detroit 2:04 PM - 16 May, 2012
where did u purchase these end pieces ? and what size did u purchase ? thank u
i notice with the new 61 fader it has a gap on both sides ( not like the 57 )
thanks
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:17 PM - 16 May, 2012
These are just basic M3 (3mm hole)Nylon washers. You should be able to get them at any hardware or hobby shop.

www.rapidonline.com

I just took them from the drawer at work ;)

I choose nylon as it is non conductive/corrosive etc and definitely will not interfere with fader performance.

If you get a few you can experiment with 1 or 2 , maybe 3 washers on each side. My 68 has 1 washer per side. This xfader (in pics) is from a 62 and Ive put 2 washers per side as the gap felt a little large after new firmware (v1.14)

I've yet to try it in mixer so may drop it back to 1 washer per side once i see how it feels..... I'm still at work ;)
Niro 6:13 PM - 18 May, 2012
I remember adding plastic washers to my all of my Vestax faders, but they needed it. I'm not sure how much of dead space you have on my 62's, but dead space is needed. I remember a lot of guys trying to eliminate all of the dead space, mainly so they could do crab scratches. But when you don't have enough dead space, your scratches will sound muddy and not clean.
s3kn0tr0n1c 6:48 PM - 18 May, 2012
Quote:
I remember adding plastic washers to my all of my Vestax faders, but they needed it. I'm not sure how much of dead space you have on my 62's, but dead space is needed. I remember a lot of guys trying to eliminate all of the dead space, mainly so they could do crab scratches. But when you don't have enough dead space, your scratches will sound muddy and not clean.
My dead space is prob just over 1mm but no more than 1.5mm...Luv it now
djaminican 10:04 AM - 5 June, 2012
So S3k,

Do you recommend these mods over bending the sensors? I have the same 62 fader problem as many. I want to even out the dead space on both sides, but am paranoid abt touching the sensors.
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:10 PM - 5 June, 2012
Yes. I defo would NOT recommend bending sensors. I think these should remain upright in the correct position.

What I did was to modify the end stop. See this thread -

serato.com

Just get rubber stoppers lined up with markings on circuit board, and use washer if REALLY needed ;)

Good luck
wicked223 5:25 PM - 5 June, 2012
Quote:
So S3k,

Do you recommend these mods over bending the sensors? I have the same 62 fader problem as many. I want to even out the dead space on both sides, but am paranoid abt touching the sensors.

I've tried all the "fixes". Bent the sensors, modified end stop. And even swapped a line fader with xfader . Still gap remains.

My mixer comes back from rane tommrrow and ill see if they fixed it.
s3kn0tr0n1c 6:12 PM - 5 June, 2012
Yeh, hope they fixed it..

Although i cant understand how stopping the fader from moving as far with a washer/extra stopper etc wouldn't remove that unwanted dead spot. Ive done this on just about all mixers ive ever had.

Have too much dead spot area = block it from moving as far by whatever means suits fader.

Anyways you dont have long to wait now...good luck
dj shadow from detroit 8:11 PM - 5 June, 2012
wicked223 did u send your mixer in only because of the fader issue ? which mixer do u have 61 or the 62 ?

i have the same issue and tried everything also. firmware did not fix it?

thank you
asthmatic 10:11 PM - 5 June, 2012
Sent mine in before the fader firmware update. It was 'labeled' fix. I fixed it myself with paper stuffing/washers.
wicked223 11:01 PM - 5 June, 2012
Quote:
wicked223 did u send your mixer in only because of the fader issue ? which mixer do u have 61 or the 62 ?

i have the same issue and tried everything also. firmware did not fix it?

thank you

No I did have a broken button also but I wrote them a note to look at my fader with the dead spot explaning I tried everything already, including the firmware update.

We will see what happens when I get it back tommrow.
wicked223 11:17 PM - 5 June, 2012
Oh and I have a 62
funkyfresh2012 3:03 AM - 6 June, 2012
Has anyone tried to use the 57 xfader in the 62? They may be the same or whatever but i wanted to see if someone had both that can test it out anyway.
wicked223 3:11 AM - 6 June, 2012
I think they are different faders in some way. I may be wrong though.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:27 PM - 6 June, 2012
They are the exact same fader the TTM56, 57, and Sixty-Eight have.
dj shadow from detroit 4:04 AM - 7 June, 2012
it has to be a firmware update fix.... i changed all faders on the 61 and updated firmware... still same result. not the same as my 57...
wicked223 1:35 PM - 7 June, 2012
So I got my mixer back yesterday.

They replaced all the plastic buttons with new ones but nothing about the fader on the invoice it said "found nothing wrong with the fader it tested to spec". Lubed and Adjusted hall sensors calibrated and installed newest firmware. Etc.

I only got to play with it a little last night and it seemed to be better. Both sides seemed to have the same sized cut in now as opposed to the larger one on the right side. I will play with it more tonight to see for sure.

Only thing new I did on my end was uninstalled drivers then reinstalled my 62 with the disc version that came with the mixer then i installed the newest beta but I don't think that mattered.

So I really don't have any useful information to give you guys. Sorry.
hersh20 7:53 PM - 15 June, 2012
Quote:
it has to be a firmware update fix.... i changed all faders on the 61 and updated firmware... still same result. not the same as my 57...

THANKS DUDE i had a feeling that this was the case the whole time...hopefully they fix!
Dj Immaculate aus 9:11 AM - 27 June, 2012
Does the spring mod work on the line faders as well ?
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:10 PM - 27 June, 2012
Quote:
Does the spring mod work on the line faders as well ?
If it is a magnetic type it will work..

Which mixer you have?

Tbh im thinking about putting the spring back and just re-lubing the rails(on my 68 xfader) as i now prefer the feel as they are on 62(with spring and good lube).
wicked223 4:58 PM - 27 June, 2012
Line faders on the 68 are apparently not magnetic like the other mixers.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:20 PM - 27 June, 2012
Quote:
Line faders on the 68 are apparently not magnetic like the other mixers.

Correct, they're a complete different type of fader.
weshstyle 2:33 AM - 1 July, 2012
As you may have noticed there is a problem with the faders & crossfader 61 & 62
The cut on the left is less than 1 mm
and the cut on the right is more than 4 mm

How is it that when buying a new product
What Rane proposes to solved this problem!?

The firmware update doesn't change anything because it's a hardware problem
is it possible to give me a quick and simple solution?
thank you
wicked223 3:38 AM - 1 July, 2012
Quote:

thank you

You either have to send it in to rane and hope they fix it. Or do it yourself with trial and error via calibration and hall sensor bending etc. Etc.

Not ideal but those are your options.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:26 PM - 2 July, 2012
Quote:

thank you

Quick question, is the dependency an audible difference in fader travel time or a visual/cosmetic alignment of the decor and lexan top cover?
Dj Immaculate aus 10:39 AM - 3 July, 2012
Ive got the 61 , I tried it and I prefer how they are out of the box , I just cleaned and relubbed them and they were silky smooth .
weshstyle 10:53 AM - 3 July, 2012
I clearly see a difference between the left and right end position on the crossfader and also on the faders !

2 solutions :
Could you give us a soft to adjust the end position on rane 61 & 62 ?
Or could you send us some new crossfaders and faders without this problem ?

Thank you
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:56 PM - 3 July, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

thank you

Quick question, is the dependency an audible difference in fader travel time or a visual/cosmetic alignment of the decor and lexan top cover?

Same question as above ^
weshstyle 4:26 PM - 4 July, 2012
Quote:

Same question as above ^

It's an audible difference in fader travel time
uNo 3:57 AM - 21 January, 2014
I'm having this issue with my 56S. I've swapped out all three faders and the problem persist with all three. Cut-in on the left side is less than 1mm and the right side is close to 3mm.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:01 PM - 21 January, 2014
Call us at 425-355-6000 and we'll get you setup for factory service :)