DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

the switch

skutch 7:35 AM - 3 August, 2004
i think (i know) my next paycheck is buying me SSL

A-apparenty you dont have to analyse tracks (as in finalscratch) correct?

B-there are no issues with back cue or back spins (for juggling or just fiddling with the record while you are waiting to slam it on)
that's a real issue with FS.

C- it works and doesn't crash?

while NI and stanton are scrambling to fix their product, it looks like i'll be killing parties with SSL
DJCQ103 8:51 AM - 3 August, 2004
hey skutch...i just did the switch from tsf to ssl and I'm glad I did. Couple adjustments I needed to get use to right away was the browsing and importing of tracks. I though it was bit easier to do that with TFS. You may want to download itunes to sort out your library. Also, you'll miss the master tempo feature. Other than that..IT IS SO WORTH IT TO SWITCH.
now i need to find somebody to buy my TFS. :)
SpinThis! 3:31 PM - 3 August, 2004
Quote:
you dont have to analyse tracks

yes and no. ssl analyzes the waveform on the fly, but it has to load the overview of a track before you play it (for the first time). usually this isn't an issue so it loads within a couple seconds max. once you play tracks they load right up (which is why i don't get why people on this forum have issues with files that don't play, then they get out into an actual gig situation and complain the file doesn't work in ssl).
nik39 3:42 PM - 3 August, 2004
Quote:
(which is why i don't get why people on this forum have issues with files that don't play, then they get out into an actual gig situation and complain the file doesn't work in ssl).

Sorry, but I sometimes dont have the time to map and analyze all tracks manually. Until now SSL has no function to analyze tracks in advance with batch automatically. Thats why it happened to some users that during play time, the ran across some files which dont play.
skutch 5:57 PM - 3 August, 2004
im gonna roll down to armand's and pick it up.
goodbye finalcrash!
DJ White Lightning 1:02 AM - 6 August, 2004
Quote:

Why would you want to subject anyone to that, I donated mine to the Trash...
skutch 7:57 AM - 7 August, 2004
i got ssl and i am happy.
Hex 6:30 PM - 7 August, 2004
Quote:
Quote:

Why would you want to subject anyone to that, I donated mine to the Trash...

I felt quite guilty selling mine on ebay knowing how much trouble the poor sod was gonna have :(
DJ White Lightning 9:08 PM - 7 August, 2004
HEX,
Just curious, but how much did you get for it?
Jamie.
Hex 11:09 PM - 7 August, 2004
Quote:
HEX,
Just curious, but how much did you get for it?
Jamie.

I was actually really lucky. I had some major ground problems with my PC when I first bought it so Stanton sent me a replacement scratch amp thinking it was their hardware. It turned out not to be but they never asked for either scratch amp back so I sold them both seperately for £250 each meaning I made a profit of £55 after buying SSL for £445! :D
12micsn1 11:50 PM - 7 August, 2004
Its funny you can get most hardwear fixed but software its a whole another story. If the software is buggy an doesnt work right an the software company isnt upgrading. The product is useless to all who acquire it. I dont own FinalScratch so I guess I never have to worry owning it or selling. Sometimes being late in the game we see products get better before there reputation goes tanking down the drain. Final Scratch may get around to becoming a great product but they wont have a great reputation to support it. This supports Rane's company philosophy on there products. Rane wouldnt have backed Serato if they didnt believe in there software. For me getting SSL was a smart move an i never had to use THE SWITCH to even do it.