Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Tags still updating for every track played

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Sound Technique 8:21 PM - 26 September, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

Tags are still updating for every song played....
DJ Sound Technique 8:27 PM - 26 September, 2010
Funny thing, I restarted serato 2 times then it stopped doing it...
DJ Sound Technique 9:32 AM - 10 October, 2010
Been using it for 2 weeks now, it still does it just not for every track and it is causing mad USB dropouts too....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:25 AM - 11 October, 2010
Hi DJ Sound Technique,

Are you using The Bridge? Do you have "Autofill Overviews" turned on in the Library panel on the Setup screen?
DJ Sound Technique 8:39 PM - 11 October, 2010
Michael I am using 2.1.1 but not using the bridge with ableton, Autofill Overviews is not turned on
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:34 AM - 12 October, 2010
Do you know what format these files are? Are these files on an internal or external hard drive? Are you doing anything to these files once you've loaded them to a deck (e.g. set a cue point, save a loop)?
DJ Sound Technique 4:14 AM - 12 October, 2010
These are .mp4 files on an external drive and with 2.0 and earlier I had no issues with this ever, including the USB dropouts that are now prominent in 2.1.1, I am convinced it has something to do with the continued tag writings. I am not doing any cue points or edits
DJ Sound Technique 12:39 AM - 17 October, 2010
Michael - I just checked my DJ laptop and Autofill Overviews is on, I had always had it on with other versions, I will try it tonight with it off and see what happens
DJ Sound Technique 10:30 PM - 17 October, 2010
It made no difference with autofill overviews on or off, still had dropouts all night, I made it a point to check cpu usage when it dropped and it was only running at 57%-72%
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:33 AM - 18 October, 2010
Hey DJ Sound Technique,

Thanks for the info. Are the tags being written when you load the track to the deck or when you eject/load another track? If you rescan your ID3 tags before you play does Scratch Live still write tags?
DJ Sound Technique 6:00 PM - 18 October, 2010
It doesn't show that it is writing the tags like 2.1.0, but I still get the dropouts around the time one track is unloaded and another is put on the deck. And no, if I rescan the ID3 tags it does not write them again.

What I will do is check the file date on the songs that are playing during a dropout and see if they have been modified
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:35 AM - 20 October, 2010
You should always see a message when Scratch Live is writing any tags, so if you aren't seeing any message this may not be what is happening (unless this is a bug of course ;). Any luck checking the date to see if the files have been modified?
DJ Sound Technique 3:47 AM - 20 October, 2010
not yet, I have not been back to the club yet to play but will check soon and advise
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:39 AM - 21 October, 2010
Ok thanks, please keep me posted.
DJ Sound Technique 4:31 PM - 24 October, 2010
I did not realize the dropoutcount file does not track the date and time of the dropout so it is going to be hard to figure out. I may be getting the SL3 next week....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:10 AM - 27 October, 2010
You could try renaming the DropoutCount.log before you start testing. Scratch Live will then make a new one, so you can then see if any dropouts occur in your next session.
DJ Sound Technique 2:57 AM - 27 October, 2010
Yeah there were 247 dropouts in the last session...... I will have to keep track of the songs playing during a dropout and then go back and check the file dates to see if they have been modified.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:33 AM - 29 October, 2010
Maybe you could try a practice session with a small amount of files and see if the date modified for any of these files has changed?
pueblofunky 5:33 AM - 29 October, 2010
@DJ Sound Technique:

I'd the same problems with 2.1.1 (only playing WAV files). Updates on files & dropouts during djing when I e.g. move a track over a deck.

I never had this issue until 2.0. I've never tested 2.1.

I've switched back to 2.0 and last night I've played without any problems.

I highly recommend to switch back to 2.0.

There is also another ticket opened by myself: serato.com
DJ Sound Technique 4:06 PM - 30 October, 2010
MIchael I played last night with a SL3. same issues. I only played a short set so what I am going to do is pull the playlist from SL and search my drive for all files modified last night and will send you the results. I must have had 50 dropouts in a hour and they were bad enough the messed up the playback
10:14 PM, 30 Oct 2010
DJ Sound Technique attached a file: tag writting.pdf
Download· Permalink
DJ Sound Technique 10:15 PM - 30 October, 2010
This is really getting old..... Here is the proof that it is modifying the files. Serato playlist and a search of files modified last night from my hard drive.
I played a small set last night, 27 tracks and it modified 20 of the 27 files. All overviews were built previous, I added no cues or loops to these tracks. This is for sure what is causing the dropouts, It does not show that it is writing tags but it obviously is. With 2.0 I had no issues, going back to 2.0 next weekend unless you guys get around to posting an update....
pueblofunky 5:28 AM - 31 October, 2010
Although all my files are READ-ONLY, SSL 2.1(.1) has tried to update the files and I'd the dropouts.

Partially SSL writes a status message that it is updating the file. I also don't under why SSL is trying to do that (ALL versions) although my files are READ-ONLY. It might update the database - but not the files.
DJ Sound Technique 7:19 AM - 31 October, 2010
Yeah it was fine before version 2.1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:38 AM - 2 November, 2010
Hey DJ Sound Technique,

Thanks for the PDF, I can see that those files have been modified as you said.

Can you tell me, if you now reload one of these tracks again is the file modified again?

Also, there are some MP4 tag writing changes in the next release of Scratch Live which should hopefully address this issue.
DJ Sound Technique 4:13 PM - 7 November, 2010
Went back to 2.0 played all night last night with no issues... Is the update close?
sorry i forgot to try and load some of the same files before I loaded 2.0 back on
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:58 AM - 9 November, 2010
We're working on a new version now, no release date yet sorry. There are some tag writing fixes in this next version which will hopefully address the issue you are having.
7:00 AM, 23 Nov 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.