Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Moving and Sorting songs in any field/Columns

DJ Qstorm 12:35 AM - 9 September, 2010
This should be something that Serato implemented from day 1. Please allow us to sort songs in any fields. Meaning after you sort the songs by, Artist, bpm, #, etc, if you want to move a song up or down in the crate you can't, you can only do this in the # field.

Before you all jump on my case please read and try what i am saying...this only works in the # field. Moving a song up and down in a crate
Evil_banana 3:39 PM - 10 September, 2010
So, basically you want to be able to re-order the alphabet?

It does exactly what you're asking it to do. By clicking "artist" you are asking SSL to sort all the tracks, by their artist name according to the alphabet. First letter (a,b,c,d,...), then the second letter (a/b/c/d,...) and so on.
But you are asking to have it sorted by alphabet, and then re-arrange it. That's a no-go, because afterwards if you click "artist" again you are asking again to order it according to the alphabet, but the software doesn't know if you want to order according to THE alphabet or to YOUR custom alphabet.

I guess what you are looking for, is to arrange tracks e.g. by artist, THEN re-number their # value, so you can re-order them afterwards, while still having them sort of alphabetical...
But this is going to be a drag I'm afraid. Because once you add new songs to the crate, you have to do the whole thing over again.

This works only in the # field, because that is the only value you actually assign to it, and then you're sorting by # numerically. You can't sort by ARtist-name alphabettically and then expect it NOT to follow the alphabet.

I'm afraid you need to rethink your request my man.
DJ Qstorm 10:07 PM - 10 September, 2010
No Not at all. Maybe I wasn't really clear. I don't want to re-order the alphabet, All i would like to do is once you have sorted by artist, song, genre etc, is to have the ability to drag songs up and down in that crate to a different position.
I don't know how other DJ build their crates but most that I know build according to BPM. How i build is according to BPM as well but i need that ability to move a song up or down in my list and you don't have that capability, only when sorted by the "#" column. Why don't you have the option to move a song up and down in your list under any sorted column is the question. So if a new song comes out and i want to put it in a special spot on my list, i can't do it when sorted under any other columns other than "#".....I hope i am a little clearer now...Thanks
Evil_banana 7:03 AM - 11 September, 2010
I understood you fine the first time, but I think that you didn't read everything I wrote. (which is a bit much, I admit)

What you are asking is "not possible".
By sorting by BPM, you are EXPLICITLY asking SSL to sort all tracks from high to low BPM (or vice versa). But then you want to start moving them around... but that is NOT what you asked the software. So how the hell does the software know what you want? The software doesn't understand "Sort all tracks, just not this one and this one and this one..."

Software is not "artificial intelligence". Think from software perspective. Lets say you arrange by artist, and then you move new hot crap like Lady Gaga all the way to the top (basically in FRONT of the letter A). Next you go mess around, arrange by BPM, arrange by trackname and so on. And then, you are going to sort by "artist" again.
Tell me, how does the software know whether you are asking it to REALLY sort it by alphabet, or that it has to sort according to YOUR alphabet where Lady Gaga comes first.

THAT is what I'm saying... you're asking to re-arrange the alphabet!

But I don't get why you can't find your new tracks right now? Here's how many people would do it:
- arrange by "date added", I'll guarantee you it will show you the latest added tracks!
- add a tag "NEW_SHIT" to the comment-box for your new tracks. To find them, click the search-box and enter "NEW_SHIT", it will show you all tracks within the crate with that tag
- Create a subcrate within your bigass crate called "NEW HOT SHIT", and put all your new (and hot) tracks in there. Whenever you feel lost, just scroll 1 crate down and digg in your crate of pearls
- Go oldskool, sort by # and start arranging them manually by BPM or artist, whatever you want and put your new tracks manually in front of the rest. A little more work, but exactly what you're asking for. Those DJ's you know build their crate manually as well, no software that does this automatically.

Plenty of options and I'm sure you'll be able to think of a few more once you're on a roll.
DJ Qstorm 9:28 PM - 14 September, 2010
I totally agree with you sorting and rearranging via songs, artist, etc....My "MAIN" concern is about the BPM field and i am not talking about moving a 92bpm after 96bpm. I agree that would be a sorted field anymore....But within the same bpm range would be nice.
I think a DJ that goes out and search for songs during a gig is not well organized unless, its a request or he choose to do something different on the fly.
I personally go with playlist in sequence of what i am going to play, with cue points set etc...I don't want to have a million crates, I just like it simple... I play mostly REGGAE, then hip hop and whatever else...
With reggae music, we have X amount of songs on 1 beat, so sorting by BPM is excellent. And yes i know its easy to grab the next song and load it from wherever it is, but i like the idea of having my songs in order..
Thanks for the response....I will work with the manual for now :)
serkan 6:58 PM - 15 September, 2010
First of all I think SL sorts the BPM with it's decimal numbers (which are there but not shown). But to be honest, I don't know it and am to lazy to check ;)

I think it already would've been great if we could sort by more than one column.

How it is now if you first click title, then artist:

Artist------------------------Title
AAA--------------------------ZZZZ
AAA--------------------------MMMM
AAA--------------------------RRRR

How it should be if you first click title, then artist:

Artist------------------------Title
AAA--------------------------MMMM
AAA--------------------------RRRR
AAA--------------------------ZZZZ
jalderwood 5:47 PM - 19 December, 2010
I wouldn't expect to be able to move things around in a sorted list but *renumbering* the list according to current sort is useful.

Rekordbox has this feature, surprisingly. Sort, right click the column head, then Renumber Track Order.
Metaverse 6:44 PM - 18 August, 2014
Why in Traktor this is possible and in serato isn't ???
DJ Gabriel Diggs 9:53 AM - 8 December, 2015
Hello,
Here are instructions for anyone still wondering how to custom sort your crates by any column and then re-number by that new sort order. I just tested this in Serato 1.8 on a Mac. I did not test this on Windows but it may work there as well:

1. Sort crate by column of choice.
2. Select all tracks (Command+A Mac)
3. Make a note of the track number at the top of the list. This will be a random number since the first track in this new sort order is probably not number "1"
4. With all of the tracks in the playlist still selected resort the crate by the "#" column.
5. With all of the tracks selected grab the track that was in first position and drag it up to the very top of the list into position 1.
6. Your tracks should now be sorted in your new chosen order beginning at 1 and descending.
7. You can now safely deselect all tracks and the new sort order should be permanent.

Please feel free to comment if any of this is unclear.