Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

anyone have any probs with the full release of 2.1?

tomatoslice 8:06 PM - 15 August, 2010
i am probably the only one that had an issue.

the full release of 2.1 froze on me in the very first video i played.
this was with ME and 2 dicers running.

granted i had a feeling there would be a hiccup since i was in the beta.
i can admit i was not the best tester. i knew of issues but did not follow up on them fully.

you guys running the full release 2.1 well with any video plug-in?
DJ SHY 10:12 PM - 15 August, 2010
gettin more drop outs with 2.1 beta's and final... a few vids froze on me as well...

i never had these issues with 1.9.2..
dj red 11:15 PM - 15 August, 2010
Ok so I just tried my best to get 2.1 to crash and nothing happened. I was using serato 2.1 w/ ME 1.5 running 2 large video files in high quality on the spinning cube 2 transition and looped both tracks on my dicers.

dicers were plugged into the usb port closest 2 the front
57 plugged into the back usb port
macbook pro specs -
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

[IMG]i954.photobucket.com[/IMG]

[URL=s954.photobucket.com][IMG]i954.photobucket.com[/IMG][/URL]
tomatoslice 12:12 AM - 16 August, 2010
Red,
what was Brett running altogether when he had his issue and what happened?
dj red 12:44 AM - 16 August, 2010
sl3 - (usb powered)
dicers & a midi dongle
and VSL
nik39 12:55 AM - 16 August, 2010
So far...

SL 2.1.0 tries to rewrite each mp4 file on any load (even if you don't add/change cue points etc.). In other words on top of the two concurrently playing videos, SL reads the unloaded video, and writes it back to the drive. This seems to have cause some serious dropouts and freezes for me. My current workaround is to have all videos set to read only :-( Obviously this means I have to re-add cue points everytime.

SL should at least fall back to reading/writing xml-metadata files when it finds read-only files. SL 2.0 does this.

Also if you use the 68 and video... be warned! There is a bug in SL 2.1.0 where the video screen will turn black whenever you press the LAYER/SHIFT button. This has been reproduced by several users.
DJ Scorpion 6:28 AM - 16 August, 2010
Quote:
So far...

SL 2.1.0 tries to rewrite each mp4 file on any load (even if you don't add/change cue points etc.). In other words on top of the two concurrently playing videos, SL reads the unloaded video, and writes it back to the drive. This seems to have cause some serious dropouts and freezes for me. My current workaround is to have all videos set to read only :-( Obviously this means I have to re-add cue points everytime.

i noticed that, too. however i was lucky enough that this did not result in a single dropout (or something worse) when i first used 2.1. last weekend in the club.

is there any word from the admins on that issue?

personally i set all my cues & loops before the gig, so your workaround will do it for me (thx! ;-)) but i feel like this can't be the way it should be, right?
PopRoXxX 4:00 PM - 16 August, 2010
I've gotten a quick drop out here and there. Nothing too major, but that shouldn't happen either.

Unfortunately I don't have ME or Dicers (yet), but I DO have jealousy! Lol :-P
Dj Nyce 7:46 PM - 16 August, 2010
Quote:
So far...

SL 2.1.0 tries to rewrite each mp4 file on any load (even if you don't add/change cue points etc.)

same here. any file thats get loaded (mp3, mp4) ssl is updating something in the file even if nothing has changed. if you reload the same file twice, it will update it twice.
DJ-Phat-AL 8:26 PM - 16 August, 2010
that's crap...

so... should I stay at 2.0 then?

I haven't had any issues with it..
djpuma_gemini 8:52 PM - 16 August, 2010
I'm sticking with 1.9.2.
dj red 10:05 PM - 16 August, 2010
FYI guys I used the exact same settings as I listed above to do my show last night with zero problems ran vid for 6 hrs and used the dicers heavily
djpuma_gemini 10:20 PM - 16 August, 2010
with 2.1?
Dj Nyce 1:10 AM - 17 August, 2010
i don't have issues with 2.1 but i'm not using dicers. just an akai lpd8
dj red 7:52 PM - 17 August, 2010
yes puma I was running 2.1
Alixx J 12:18 PM - 18 August, 2010
When I tried the 2.1 beta my waveforms became a mess unless I downgraded the settings to medium, the full release of 2.1 has slightly better waveforms, but they're still quite jittery.

I had higher CPU temperatures, which i noticed as my laptop has a powerfan directed at it and it's sat on a cooling pad too! (I'm a bit anal about overheating since my last external drive fried on me mid gig!).

I'm hoping a new update on vsl will address the temperature and waveforms, as I didn't have this issue in 1.9.
D-Twizzle 5:25 PM - 18 August, 2010
Quote:
My current workaround is to have all videos set to read only :-( Obviously this means I have to re-add cue points everytime.

Good to know, I'll only use 2.1 if I'm using the TTM68 since I was getting crashes on 2.1. Otherwise I'll still use 1.9.2 and my 57.
djpuma_gemini 5:49 PM - 18 August, 2010
I'll install 2.1 today and do a test run tonight.
Alixx J 4:54 PM - 21 August, 2010
tried 2.1.1 last night and I couldn't attach a video to an mp3 file, i dragged the video onto the assign button and nothing...
PopRoXxX 7:51 PM - 21 August, 2010
Hey Twizzle, are you using 1.9.2 with 1.2?
DJ Sound Technique 9:38 AM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:
So far...

SL should at least fall back to reading/writing xml-metadata files when it finds read-only files. SL 2.0 does this.

Also if you use the 68 and video... be warned! There is a bug in SL 2.1.0 where the video screen will turn black whenever you press the LAYER/SHIFT button. This has been reproduced by several users.

First night out, mine did the same thing
Millz 4:12 PM - 22 August, 2010
tomato,

try shutting dj fx off. (if it wasnt already)
tomatoslice 7:00 PM - 22 August, 2010
naw, i don't use the fx. is that something that is on automatically?

from what i am guessing i bet it's an ME with 2.1 issue.

are the people using vsl and 2.1 having any issues?
Marine 7:52 PM - 22 August, 2010
It still does it even if you turn off the dj fx in the setup menu. I use vsl and it re writes every video and serious drop outs. The waveform actually disappears for few seconds and the audio drops out and then comes back on after a few seconds. I use a macbook pro I have two macbook pros and happens on both. I even tried four different hard drives same problems. I have no problems with 2.0 only with 2.1.
DJ Tecoy 8:08 PM - 22 August, 2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the rewriting of files. 1st night with 2.1 = also my 1st crash! Not cool!
DJ Sound Technique 8:21 PM - 22 August, 2010
It is the tag rewriting for sure that was causing the issues, it was causing mine to have USB dropouts and I never have that issue. The other screwed thing is is was rewritting all my bpm tags for ones that I had manually fixed
triz-a 3:11 PM - 23 August, 2010
I'm having problems loading visuals for my tracks .. videos working fine! please help .. bout to go back to 2.0
tomatoslice 4:25 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
I'm having problems loading visuals for my tracks .. videos working fine! please help .. bout to go back to 2.0

hmmm...that sounds like something different than what we may be dealing with.

did you start a thread in the help section?
tomatoslice 4:30 PM - 23 August, 2010
and my thought that it could have something to do with ME is completely off imo.

btw i am on a pre-unibody.

anybody know why i would get a usb dropouts when i use firewire 800?
is this a "usb dropout" to the 57?
or is "usb dropout" just some generalized term for a spectrum of issues unrelating to usb specifically? maybe usb refers to "however you connect your media source. we just call it usb even tho it's firewire."
Joshua Carl 5:11 PM - 23 August, 2010
yup.
I was sticking with 1.9.2 + 1.2

but when 2.1 went final thats when the problems started.
serious USB dropouts.
so I nixxed everything, effects ect ect ect...
still get em...

I rolled back to 1.9.2 and now Im getting usb drops there.
I might have to roll back the drivers or something.
u can see here in the help topic I opened
serato.com

with the help of the guys we ran bunch of tests and are trying to figure out whats up on the usb side.

I certainly see the re-write
everytime I add new files ( i do it manually by date modified) I can see the last songs
that I played, becuase they have all been modded.
Millz 5:41 PM - 23 August, 2010
there is no compatibility issues with 2.1 and me. the explanation I got for rewriting each file is because of the mapping to do with the bridge and ableton...which kinda sucks if you dont use ableton.
PopRoXxX 6:15 PM - 23 August, 2010
Analyzing files is waaaaayyyyy slow now on 2.1 as well. I have definitely rolled back to 1.9.2 for analyzing.

Hey Josh, has 1.9.2 and 1.2 run efficiently for you in the past. I was thinking about going ahead and doing this, but, I wasn't sure if those two versions played well together
nik39 6:19 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
Analyzing files is waaaaayyyyy slow now on 2.1 as well.

Same impression over here. It's the Beatgrid I assume.
PopRoXxX 6:22 PM - 23 August, 2010
Yeah. It goes through the first section normal. The second section is waayyyy slow. Then it stops and just waits a while before it finishes off the third section. WTF?! haha!
nik39 6:29 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
Then it stops and just waits a while before it finishes off the third section.

Is that for video files?
Joshua Carl 7:16 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
Yeah. It goes through the first section normal. The second section is waayyyy slow. Then it stops and just waits a while before it finishes off the third section. WTF?! haha!

yes yes yes... that too!
totally forgot bout that, it took 3x as long as it usually does.

yeah, Im runnin 1.9.2(222) and 1.2 with zero issue, have been since february'ish
Joshua Carl 7:21 PM - 23 August, 2010
Watchvimeo.com this was 6 months ago
tomatoslice 8:48 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Then it stops and just waits a while before it finishes off the third section.

Is that for video files?

yes
nik39 8:55 PM - 23 August, 2010
That's because SL creates a copy of that file including the updated metadata. So if the file is 100MB big, then SL will read the 100MB and at the same time write the 100MB. After it has created the copy it will delete the original. During that time the 2nd bar will stop. I guess it should move according to the progress of creating the copy (incl. the updated metadata).
tomatoslice 8:57 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:

but when 2.1 went final thats when the problems started.
serious USB dropouts.
so I nixxed everything, effects ect ect ect...
still get em...

I rolled back to 1.9.2 and now Im getting usb drops there.
I might have to roll back the drivers or something.

yea, what's up with that? i did the same thing,
had no usb drop outs ever. started beta of 2.1, had a few issues. 2.1 was released, tried it, had instantaneous problems.
went back to 192 and getting usb drop outs there now.
maybe 1-2 a night.
DJ Pimp 9:05 PM - 23 August, 2010
@ Joshua Carl
Didn't you say that you're switching to Mac?
Joshua Carl 9:22 PM - 23 August, 2010
I am..
Im waiting for a check ...with any luck in the next two weeks.

I even said: before i installed 2.1 i didnt even know what the usb light looked like.
now it pops up whenever...i dont even have to be doing anything...just playing a track!
yeah..jump on that help topic.
djpuma_gemini 10:25 PM - 23 August, 2010
so if I want to use 2.1 at a gig, I should rebuild overviews on all files.
PopRoXxX 8:10 PM - 24 August, 2010
it rebuilds them on the fly anyway when you load any track
DJ Soup 8:32 PM - 24 August, 2010
2.1 has been corrupting my video files. I think it has something to do with the way it writes the tags but I'm not sure. I'm going back to 2.0 and I'm setting all my video files as read only.
tomatoslice 9:49 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
... I'm setting all my video files as read only.

for us noobs, how do you do that?
are there any side effects to this?
D-Twizzle 10:16 PM - 24 August, 2010
i'm sure he's referring to going into the setup menu and checking the box that says protect library in the library tab.
nik39 10:25 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
i'm sure he's referring to going into the setup menu and checking the box that says protect library in the library tab.

This won't prevent SL from altering your files (changing metadata such as overviews, cue points etc.).

I have set my files to read only. This prevents SL from rewriting the entire video file from scratch.
Joshua Carl 10:28 PM - 24 August, 2010
I believe you highlight all your files, and right click, goto properties and put a "tic" mark in a the read-only box.
tomatoslice 11:37 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:

I have set my files to read only. This prevents SL from rewriting the entire video file from scratch.

how do i do this on a mac?
D-Twizzle 11:51 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

This won't prevent SL from altering your files (changing metadata such as overviews, cue points etc.).

You're right, I just tried and it still modifies the file if you choose protect library.I'd rather not change the attributes of my files to be read only. I'm just going to stay away from this release then.
tomatoslice 4:36 AM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:
...I'd rather not change the attributes of my files to be read only. I'm just going to stay away from this release then.

guess i will be doing the same especially based on what nik39 says is about read only.
i have way too many cue points i depend on.

Quote:
My current workaround is to have all videos set to read only :-( Obviously this means I have to re-add cue points everytime. ...

one word...thisfkingsux
Ronsupreme 3:45 PM - 25 August, 2010
OK all of this crap is da same to me what I need to kno is r they gonna fix this problem or do we have to go back to the old download? need to know b4 the weekend.
tomatoslice 11:38 PM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:
OK all of this crap is da same to me what I need to kno is r they gonna fix this problem or do we have to go back to the old download? need to know b4 the weekend.

uh...you can count on it NOT being fixed b4 the weekend. and if it were going to be fixed by then they would not tell us beforehand. even then the new version could be sketchy.

if you have issues then use a previous version that you have tested and you know works.
DJ Soup 2:15 AM - 26 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
... I'm setting all my video files as read only.

for us noobs, how do you do that?
are there any side effects to this?

Quote:
I believe you highlight all your files, and right click, goto properties and put a "tic" mark in a the read-only box.

Yep I just set all the file properties to read-only but it does suck to not be able to have it remember the cue points, loops and gain. I do go back and take off the read-only when I'm adding cue points and such but I think I might just go back to not using read-only cuz it is a pain.

I ran 2.0 with 1.2 last night on my PC with no problems so I think I'm gunna stick with 2.0
Sticky K 6:47 AM - 26 August, 2010
Hey, some of my video files have been corrupted by 2.1 as well. I load the video, it plays fine for a while, then load something else then reload that video and its broken! Wave form is gone and the file wont play in any other player...

This does happen with all files though.
Joshua Carl 4:17 PM - 26 August, 2010
I personally didnt have that happen in 2.1

but after 2 gigs on 2.1 I rolled back to 1.9.222
carter 4:50 PM - 26 August, 2010
I've been running 2.0 but heard about all of the issues so I never did the update. Had my first crash ever running 2.0 and now am also back at 1.9.2
Selector Josh 12:34 PM - 27 August, 2010
Running 2.1 and 1.2 on an iMac in the club with no issues. Also using ME. Guess I'm going to wait until 2.1 is stable.
Selector Josh 12:36 PM - 27 August, 2010
Sori i meant im running 2.0 not 2.1.
DJCheLu 6:34 PM - 27 August, 2010
This is sad, i was really looking forward to my dicers working the way they are supposed to.
Sticky K 7:18 PM - 27 August, 2010
yeah, and I'm actually enjoying the new ultra-knob effects... Suppose I will use 2.0 for video gigs...
Joshua Carl 7:24 PM - 27 August, 2010
yeah...Im not even a big effects guy... but after fussing with 2.1 for a while I was totally
digging the effects layout...
then I started gettin those crazy USB drops.
then I disabled the efx plugin all-together...
rolled back.
Im still getting them.

I wonder if it has anything to do (crack-pot theory perhaps)
that 2.1 (or the drivers for the 68) are set for USB 2.0, and the 57 runs 1.1
so serato is trying to send information at 2.0 speeds and getting strangled
by the 1.1 bandwith?

I still have to do a proper rollback of the 57 drivers... I just bumped it back to
1.9.2... didnt go an re-install the 1.9.2 drivers for the 57
Sticky K 8:12 PM - 27 August, 2010
To me, the echo out sounds much better than the 57s echo out and easier to trigger... But I think I'm over using it... LOL!
Joshua Carl 8:14 PM - 27 August, 2010
Theres quite a few open help tickets and conversations.. ALL about this issue.

Im sure the boys will have it figured out and remedied soon
Millz 5:07 AM - 28 August, 2010
buy a mac (had to) :P

Im having zero issues with my cdj2000s runnin HID with my dicers 2.1/1.2 and/or Mix Emergency (with DJ EFX off) runnin my DJM 2000.
Millz 5:07 AM - 28 August, 2010
...and the bridge, but Im not utilizing it as of yet...
tomatoslice 7:16 PM - 28 August, 2010
soooo is anyone with a unibody having issues?
Dj Nyce 7:02 PM - 29 August, 2010
no problems other than ssl writing files everytime you load a new track. not really a problem tho...more of an annoyance.
Millz 7:40 PM - 29 August, 2010
Im having the very same issue Nyce...using HID with the cdjs. At first I was nervous about it freezing up for a second or 2, but now I realize no audio/video is being affected...although last night one time it froze my GUI and both cdj menus for about 25 seconds, take about nervous :\
Marine 9:10 PM - 29 August, 2010
I tried using 2.1 with the cdj 2000's in hid mode and the waveforms disappear and music and video stops playing for a few seconds and comes back on. I would never again use 2.1 out in a live situation .
tomatoslice 6:22 AM - 30 August, 2010
here is what absolutely kills me.

i had 192, if i moved videos around my hd the cues and what not stayed.
i loaded 2.0, and went back to 192. now when i move files cues are gone.
192, no usb drops. go to 2.1 instant fkup. go back to 192 usb dropouts begin.
192 analyzing files is fine. install 2.1, go back to 192. analyzing slows on the last section or hangs.

from what i can tell JUST installing and trying 2.0 and 2.1 totally fucked 192 for me.
all i can think to do is delete EVERY scratchlive folder and a full uninstall.
DJ DisGrace 4:26 PM - 30 August, 2010
Quote:
Im having the very same issue Nyce...using HID with the cdjs. At first I was nervous about it freezing up for a second or 2, but now I realize no audio/video is being affected...although last night one time it froze my GUI and both cdj menus for about 25 seconds, take about nervous :\

*slowly reaches for backup CD.....
Joshua Carl 8:08 PM - 31 August, 2010
U guys can follow my open help request...

maybe some of the solutions they have proposed might work for you.

serato.com
tomatoslice 5:39 PM - 3 September, 2010
so has anyone dloaded the NEWEST beta?

2.1.1...i am just waaaay too scared to try it.
Millz 5:43 PM - 3 September, 2010
been running the latest betas of ssl for over a year...also the most current updates to osx.
tomatoslice 5:44 PM - 3 September, 2010
wait, you have been using 2.1.1 ssl beta for over a year?
tomatoslice 5:49 PM - 3 September, 2010
we're talking ssl not vsl...right?
Millz 5:50 PM - 3 September, 2010
ive been using the most current beta of ssl (which were many different versions) for well over a year...since I got my mbp, ive had zero issues
Millz 5:50 PM - 3 September, 2010
..maybe there was one or 2 versions that were screwed up, but were detected and fixXd be4 a live show.
tomatoslice 5:53 PM - 3 September, 2010
but there is no way, i hope, that the beta you got a year ago is EXACTLY the same as the current 2.1.1. they had to have made some changes along the way, i would hope.

so is it working well for you with vsl?
you're on a unibody, right?
Millz 6:05 PM - 3 September, 2010
what i meant was serato has been stable for some time and the people who claim 2.1 is unstable often have something setup wrong, not enough ram/processor or a faulty hard drive/bad/corrupted files. i think you misread me...what i meant to say is that many of the previous betas have been stable... 21111 is the most current version of ssl beta :)

I gave up on VSL a few months ago and now use Mix Emergency. I hate to say it but where VSL stops, M/E picks up and exceeds.
tomatoslice 6:08 PM - 3 September, 2010
aaah, ok. thanks Millz.

i am still skeered to try it. have no idea what settings to adjust...
and what the heck am i asking about vsl for?!? i've been using ME for well over a year.
Millz 6:09 PM - 3 September, 2010
2111 (imo) is the same as 2.1 final with the exception to the bridge files...
DJ-Phat-AL 6:10 PM - 3 September, 2010
@ Millz... you also use Virtual DJ too ... right?

i158.photobucket.com
Millz 6:14 PM - 3 September, 2010
For the show, I did use Virtual DJs HID. As I do have friends in that company, I can say this: They have come a long way since I last used/tried VDJ...but they still have a ways to go...the response is much tighter in serato.
Res-Q 6:24 PM - 3 September, 2010
Quote:
21111 is the most current version of ssl beta :)

The latest beta is 2.1.1 (21117)

It fixed (amongst other things) the problem with MP4's tag being rewritten everytime you load a track. Less load on the cpu/hd when spinnin' now.
tomatoslice 6:34 PM - 3 September, 2010
Quote:

It fixed (amongst other things) the problem with MP4's tag being rewritten everytime you load a track. ....

that is what we needed to know the most!!

going to wait until monday for a test run.
Res-Q 6:48 PM - 3 September, 2010
;-)
Millz 6:56 PM - 3 September, 2010
see what happens when you get a good nights sleep :)
Joshua Carl 7:03 PM - 3 September, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

It fixed (amongst other things) the problem with MP4's tag being rewritten everytime you load a track. ....

that is what we needed to know the most!!

going to wait until monday for a test run.

co-sign
DJ Tecniq 7:12 PM - 3 September, 2010
so how is the new scratchlive 2.1? I upgraded. Is it okay to play out live with it? Have had no probs in 2.0
Joshua Carl 7:56 PM - 3 September, 2010
serato.com

link to 21117

I was reading it...I didnt really see what the fix was. but hey, if it works.
Alixx J 8:03 PM - 3 September, 2010
sample player problem is back in 21117... They still trigger when using midi when you don't have the box checked. Also cues and output channels aren't saved :(
djcrap 8:06 PM - 3 September, 2010
Quote:
what i meant was serato has been stable for some time and the people who claim 2.1 is unstable often have something setup wrong, not enough ram/processor or a faulty hard drive/bad/corrupted files. i think you misread me...what i meant to say is that many of the previous betas have been stable... 21111 is the most current version of ssl beta :)

I gave up on VSL a few months ago and now use Mix Emergency. I hate to say it but where VSL stops, M/E picks up and exceeds.

i think Nathan will come through as always! my guess is that he has been too busy with a big pile of to dos. since the announcement of the bridge since also i think he is the main brains for the bridge code programing so am thinking his main priority has been mostly on getting the bridge to work and released first before he can go back to videoscratchlive programming of new versions.

so just be patient
ma two cents
Kadilac 8:21 PM - 3 September, 2010
2.1 won't shut down, I always have to force it, even after deleting the V2 database!
Joshua Carl 8:23 PM - 3 September, 2010
Quote:
2.1 won't shut down, I always have to force it, even after deleting the V2 database!

21117?
Res-Q 8:51 PM - 3 September, 2010
I hope all you guys posting here to report problems also post in the Help area (if it's a stable final version) and in the Beta area (if its a beta version).
Otherwise bugs will get fixed much slowlier.
(I dont speak for all the SL forum hustlas, like Joshua, Millz, CheLu, Nik, etc..., only for those who's name I never see in the Help/Beta area)
tomatoslice 8:56 PM - 3 September, 2010
Quote:
so how is the new scratchlive 2.1? I upgraded. Is it okay to play out live with it? Have had no probs in 2.0

read everything above...with exception of 21117
tomatoslice 5:46 PM - 8 September, 2010
so JCarl, did you ever load 21117?

i haven't and probably won't.

every time i load a new ssl it fksup an old solid version on my system.
it's just not worth the headache or the risk.
Joshua Carl 5:54 PM - 8 September, 2010
Ditto man, I got 2-3 nights a week...all video, always pretty damn packed.
Im not one for gambling with a room full of people.

the only way to really run a proper check is to hook everything up and run solid
4 hour set, pushing all the envelopes at home, or on a slow night.
and thats something I havent had time for, which i know is MY fault.

I had actually planned to do it sunday, but then the bar told me they were expecting a good crowd...and sure enough....
tomatoslice 6:26 PM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:

I had actually planned to do it sunday, but then the bar told me they were expecting a good crowd...and sure enough....

GetThefkout?!? it gave you probs?

was this with 21117?
Joshua Carl 7:40 PM - 8 September, 2010
no no no...I meant that I was expecting no-one on sunday.
So I was going to install 21117, and if it got freaky on me Id save face with only
a hundred people or so.
but when they called and said it was going to be busy, i decided it wasnt the best
Idea to give it a test run live, and sure enough, we were very busy.
I think I had 2 Red USB drop outs, but only a second long each.
and had some clicks and pops in yellow a few times (this in 1.9.2 & 1.2)

Thing is, I dont really care so much at the moment about the effects and such.
Im sure as I learn them and such Ill be more inclined to use them.
but now that I have dicers I really want to use them in native, not midi-mapped.
but that isnt reason enough for me to gamble with 2.1 until I see a host of people
singing its praises.
Im confident the Serato boys will fix it.
tomatoslice 8:00 PM - 26 September, 2010
so 2.1.1 is out.

has anyone installed it and used it with VSL or ME?
Sticky K 8:55 PM - 26 September, 2010
2.1.1 crashes every-time on my mac when loading / analyzing videos...
Marine 8:56 PM - 26 September, 2010
I get my djm 2000 tomorrow I'll give it a run with the cdj 2000's in hid mode and see how 2.1.1 performs. I'm definitely going to try it out with one of my backup hard drives in case there's problems. I did notice when I tried re analyzing all my videos in 2.1.1 it kept crashing. I use a macbook pro pre unibody 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo 2gb ram.
Dj Nyce 1:46 AM - 27 September, 2010
Quote:
so 2.1.1 is out.
has anyone installed it and used it with VSL or ME?

i've installed and am using it with ME. works great.
lvmez 3:26 AM - 27 September, 2010
just installed 2.1.1 along with 1.2(vsl) on mbp, no problems so far.
jbnyc 3:24 AM - 28 September, 2010
lucky guys!! i had "usb dropouts" not sure if that was a usb drop out but all of a sudden my waveforms would disappear and the sound would go out for a split second.it happenes 3 times in one gig,i was looking down pretending it was a cable or something lol, embarasing!!!
tomatoslice 3:25 AM - 28 September, 2010
Quote:
lucky guys!! i had "usb dropouts" not sure if that was a usb drop out but all of a sudden my waveforms would disappear and the sound would go out for a split second.it happenes 3 times in one gig,i was looking down pretending it was a cable or something lol, embarasing!!!

this is with the newest ssl, the one with the bridge, released a few days ago?
jbnyc 4:24 AM - 28 September, 2010
si :(
PopRoXxX 3:39 PM - 28 September, 2010
2.0 was "okay"
2.1 kinda sucked (or just sucked)
2.1.1 has been rocking great for me

BUT, I still build all my overviews in 1.9.2 cause it's so damn fast. Better than the 2.X versions (although I have NOT tried it on 2.1.1 yet)

I'm using 2.1.1 with 1.2 - Probably getting ME this month sometime and hopefully some dicers. It will be fun with a crazy setup: SSL-ME-Dicers-Line6 POD w/Floorboard-Kaoss Pad-Techs-57. We'll see what happens.
Marine 7:48 PM - 30 September, 2010
I just tested the new serato 2.1.1 with my backup macbook pro 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo. The equipment I used was the new pioneer djm 2000, 2 cdj 2000 in advanced hid mode, kontrol x-1 midi controller and mix emergency. I played for about an 1 hour and had no problems ran great. I noticed that it seems they fixed the writing tag issue in 2.1. The only problem that I have with 2.1.1 is analyzing my videos and audio it crashes everytime, so I just analyze everything in 1.9.2.
Joshua Carl 7:58 PM - 30 September, 2010
Quote:
I just tested the new serato 2.1.1 with my backup macbook pro 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo. The equipment I used was the new pioneer djm 2000, 2 cdj 2000 in advanced hid mode, kontrol x-1 midi controller and mix emergency. I played for about an 1 hour and had no problems ran great. I noticed that it seems they fixed the writing tag issue in 2.1. The only problem that I have with 2.1.1 is analyzing my videos and audio it crashes everytime, so I just analyze everything in 1.9.2.

Make sure you upload that crash report!!!
Joshua Carl 9:53 PM - 1 October, 2010
so... a theory.

back when 2.0 i dropped the talk was: HOW COME I CANT GET THE 3RD DECK ON THE 57?
( serato.com) SEE?

And the gurus stated that the 57/SL1 was usb 1.1 and cant handle anymore data.

so, here we are around 2.1+

and we've now added plenty of features and bells and whistles to the system.
all still running, for alot of folks, though that usb 1.1 line.

is it possible we have too much running on 1.1 now with all this?
if as much as a simple audio line was TOO MUCH for 1.1 to handle, so 57 users
could have 3 decks... how is all this new stuff going to work on that SAME
1.1 line?

just a theory.
nik39 10:02 PM - 1 October, 2010
I can't follow you, Joshua.
Joshua Carl 10:37 PM - 1 October, 2010
err... if i had a nickel

basically saying PRE- 2.1 the reason we couldnt have a 3rd deck on a 57 was the bandwith of the usb 1.1 was maxed out... couldnt handle any more data.

takehome point: the usb 1.1 has reached its cap for data transfer

post 2.1 theres all sorts of new stuff traveling that usb 1.1 cable.
which previously, we were told was running at capacity.

so... is there now TOO MUCH going on for usb 1.1 to handle???
making tt57sl and SL1 users have all these issues?
tomatoslice 11:38 PM - 1 October, 2010
[quote...

is it possible we have too much running ...?

that's really all you have to say.

yes, it's always possible, anything is possible.

but just because THEY say it's maxed out does not necessarily mean it is.
it's just maxed out according to their coding or what the program/harware is currently capable of. maybe if it were optimized or given to top of the line genius stuxnet coders more information could be passed over less bandwidth.
jbnyc 11:58 PM - 1 October, 2010
thank god we can count with this forum geniuses that can find a way for us 57 users to have a third deck!! ;)
G-man NYC 3:51 AM - 2 October, 2010
I tried loading all my video tracks (about 2000 via FW 800) with 2.1 and it crashed constantly. It simply didn't work. Went back to 1.9.2 and all was fine.
lvmez 11:38 AM - 2 October, 2010
i load 5,000 no problem. no crashes yet.
lvmez 12:46 AM - 5 October, 2010
Quote:
i load 5,000 no problem. no crashes yet.

wow, was i wrong. so i decided to erase my gig drive(500gb lacie firewire drive) and start over. so i started with about 1500 videos. i decided to build overviews and every time i load videos, serato crashes. i went to 2.0 and everything worked BUT when i tried to use 2.0 i'm getting a weird sound on both decks like the needles are dirty. the sound on 2.1 is fine. not sure what's going. 2.1 is working fine other than loading a large number of files.
djpuma_gemini 1:09 AM - 5 October, 2010
what's 2.1
1.9.2 is all I need
lvmez 1:15 AM - 5 October, 2010
i like the text effect. does 1.9.2 have text?
tomatoslice 2:29 AM - 5 October, 2010
Quote:
i like the text effect. does 1.9.2 have text?

nope and neither does 2.1
djpuma_gemini 2:33 AM - 5 October, 2010
I use ME for text effect.
lvmez 2:34 AM - 5 October, 2010
you can use text in 2.1. i'm currently using it.
tomatoslice 2:38 AM - 5 October, 2010
no, you can not
tomatoslice 2:44 AM - 5 October, 2010
BUT...you can with 1.2
jbnyc 2:55 AM - 5 October, 2010
text comes with vsl not with ssl (correct me if im wrong)
tomatoslice 2:56 AM - 5 October, 2010
Quote:
text comes with vsl not with ssl (correct me if im wrong)

right!!!

and that is why 2.1 does not have text.
lvmez 12:10 PM - 5 October, 2010
sorry, thats what meant. 1.2.
tomatoslice 4:23 PM - 17 October, 2010
went to 211 this past week.
it ran well. some videos coded differently sent the cpu and ram temps soaring but that can be expected.
got one or 2 drop outs especially when doing a lot of things in ssl and video.

over all 192 uses less resources than 211.
my monitoring and even Rane support have confirmed that to me.

vsl used more cpu than mix emergency.
mix emergency used more ram than vsl.
i used the highest settings for both programs.
the winner was ME with less cpu and cooler temps.
it ran more types of videos with less problems.

the features of 211 are great and the setup of the dicers was lovely.

it seems the best thing with VSL, ME and SSL is to have a newer mac with higher specs.
people with pre-unibodies will have some slight glitches.
211 worked but not perfectly. with tweaking it can be worked out.
i am not a tweaker, i want it to work on high and just go.
i want it to work on HIGH. i played on two 3 story video screens this past week in front of about 5,000 people. my shit HAS to look good.

until i get a unibody i will stick with 192, ME and less glitching.
Joshua Carl 4:54 PM - 17 October, 2010
its so nice to be back runnin on high problem free.
playing with potential issues complete hinders your sets .

my main reason for going to 2.1. was the dicer support. but now, that Ive had em mapped the way I like for a solid month or so, I dont want that to change!
I can live without a indicative loop light.
tomatoslice 4:55 PM - 17 October, 2010
BTW 211 did mess up my 192. whether it's suppose to or not, idc. whether serato says it will or not, idc...it happened.
had to to a full uninstall with an app cleaner to get it straight.
Joshua Carl 12:39 AM - 18 October, 2010
yeah, I did a full system restore....
jbnyc 3:00 AM - 18 October, 2010
i was doing great with 2.0 beta,not one glitch but when i installed 211 it fucked my 2.0 beta :'( i'm running 1.9.2 with no issues right now, im gonna buy me a set of dicers this weekend! :)
Joshua Carl 4:12 AM - 18 October, 2010
I dont understand why they wont acknowledge that possibilty..

plenty of us are stating that the second we installed 2.1 we had the same issues.
and a normal rollback to 1.9.2 isnt fixing it.

but a complete removal of all things SSL is required for 1.9.2 is to work again
tomatoslice 8:54 AM - 18 October, 2010
Quote:

plenty of us are stating that the second we installed 2.1 we had the same issues.
and a normal rollback to 1.9.2 isnt fixing it.

has anyone pointed this out to them especially in the help section?

while the mods were back last week, thanks to yours truly, and may still be here i would not expect a reply on this matter in this section.
Joshua Carl 3:56 PM - 18 October, 2010
oh yeah man... I refer'd to this thead, linked other help theads with people having
post 2.1 issues.... in my help thread which has been open since july...

its certainly the elephant in the room at this point
DJ Sound Technique 3:14 AM - 20 October, 2010
2.1.1 has issues, I have help tickets open for dropouts with 2.1.1 w vsl, they suggested rolling back, I did not have issues with 2.0 PC / XP / SL1

And the text box for VSL on 2.1.1 does not work, it will not let you type, was told it is a known bug
carter 10:39 PM - 5 November, 2010
Ran 2.1.1 completely fine until yesterday. Text and image were both working fine. Imported in some new videos and boom. Crash. Reopen. Crash. Finally got it opened and removed the files. Ran 2.1.1 with no issues during the night. Tried to reimport today and crashed. Downgraded to 1.9.2 and imported them with no problem. Analyzing all right now and so far so good.
Joshua Carl 10:56 PM - 5 November, 2010
whats the file man!!!!!

update since my last post 18Oct, when I reformatted my copmputer, and didnt let
anything buy 192 & 1.2 see it

money.
shit is soooooo smooth
carter 12:15 AM - 6 November, 2010
No idea which file. I loaded everything into my folders and then imported my whole folder just like always. Scanning tags...crash. No matter what folder I tried to import, I have them broken down like Extends, Old skool extendz, originals, old skool originals, Reggeaton, etc...it's like it had it's fill of loading up my stuff. Checked them all with MIB and removed a couple that looked like bad encodes. Tried it again..same thing. Rolled back to 1.9.2 today and imported them with no probs. Analyzing went fine too. Tested them out and everything looks good. We'll see tonight. I'll have my iPod hooked up JIC.
Sticky K 7:25 AM - 6 November, 2010
I had the same issues with that 2.1.1 - crashed every time when importing / analyzing. It will be fixed in the next version :)
lvmez 11:10 AM - 6 November, 2010
Quote:
i was doing great with 2.0 beta,not one glitch but when i installed 211 it fucked my 2.0 beta :'( i'm running 1.9.2 with no issues right now, im gonna buy me a set of dicers this weekend! :)

i had the exact problem. 2.0 beta was flawless. now i use 2.1 but have to switch to 1.9.2 to import videos because 2.1 is crashing importing a large number of files to analyze. not happy.
tomatoslice 6:18 PM - 6 November, 2010
i would really like to use 2.1...but have found too many problems when i ran it.

not sure if it's a pre-unibody thing or not but my comp just does not like it. :(
i really do wonder if i am suffering from feature creep.

anyone on a unibody have problems?
DJ Sound Technique 7:36 PM - 6 November, 2010
I am back to 2.0, dropouts and tag writing issues with 2.1.1
jbnyc 9:56 PM - 6 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

i had the exact problem. 2.0 beta was flawless. now i use 2.1 but have to switch to 1.9.2 to import videos because 2.1 is crashing importing a large number of files to analyze. not happy.

Exactly the same here,except im affraid to use 2.1 @ a gig,thats why i run 1.9,this week ill use 2.1 for 5 or 6 hours @ home to see how it handles and ill take it from there.
Joshua Carl 11:35 PM - 6 November, 2010
when I get my i7 next week, 1.9.2 + 1.2 + ME
tomatoslice 11:45 PM - 6 November, 2010
Quote:
when I get my i7 next week, 1.9.2 + 1.2 + ME

not even going to give 2.1 a try with a unibody??
carter 6:10 PM - 7 November, 2010
I have a late 2008 unibody with the 2.53 core 2 and 512 9600GT. I'm having mad lag issues lately. I'm about to pick up 2 new FW drives and reinstall my original 320 gig Mac drive reformatted with just SSL, VSL, and ME. Even with 1.9.2 I'm getting lag in jumping cue points, wave form, and tracking. I've added a Cakewalk midi/usb and a djm 800 to the mix and that's been my only major change. Video still runs flawlessly on the screen so it seems like something's eating up system memory. I'll probably do the reload on Monday and use my current external setup. Next gig isn't until Wednesday so I'll have Monday and Tuesday to reanalyze and test everything out at home.
@Sticky...didn't get that invite this time. Didn't have enough time on the last one to submit any feedback so I'm waiting on the PB.
vio0633 4:18 AM - 8 November, 2010
Quote:
No idea which file. I loaded everything into my folders and then imported my whole folder just like always. Scanning tags...crash. No matter what folder I tried to import, I have them broken down like Extends, Old skool extendz, originals, old skool originals, Reggeaton, etc...it's like it had it's fill of loading up my stuff. Checked them all with MIB and removed a couple that looked like bad encodes. Tried it again..same thing. Rolled back to 1.9.2 today and imported them with no probs. Analyzing went fine too. Tested them out and everything looks good. We'll see tonight. I'll have my iPod hooked up JIC.

I have had the same issues as well, but I was using 2.0. I had to actually delete all my crates and start over again by reimporting them. Im glad I have my folders setup to mirror my crates.

Analyzing files sucks as well. Crashes, hiccups, and slow speeds. Whats up with Serato and overviews now? Why is it the shit just keeps crashing and locking up so bad?

I reverted back to 1.9.2 for the mean time. Im probably going to make the ME switch here soon. No updates on VSL and the shit is just to unstable. I cant even get a Mod to help me out when I do have issues :(
Joshua Carl 5:55 AM - 8 November, 2010
yeah, the ME website is pretty thin, unless I overlooked something.

hopefully its not too much of a learning curve ....
Sticky K 8:16 PM - 8 November, 2010
@Joshua - did u get your mbp yet?
Joshua Carl 9:22 PM - 8 November, 2010
It was delivered today, I actually had it shipped to a family friend in NH to get
it tax free.

Ill be driving up in a few hours to get it
tomatoslice 10:01 PM - 8 November, 2010
Quote:

hopefully its not too much of a learning curve ....

hahahaaaa....ha! haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

when i read that about ME i just have laugh out loud.

hahah...you will see why Joshua
Joshua Carl 10:14 PM - 8 November, 2010
well..Im readin the manual....

(psss....i never read manuals....)
DJ-Phat-AL 11:51 PM - 8 November, 2010
Quote:
It was delivered today, I actually had it shipped to a family friend in NH to get
it tax free.

so was the savings in taxes comparable to driving to get it?
Millz 11:58 PM - 8 November, 2010
...did you really just type that?
Joshua Carl 12:21 AM - 9 November, 2010
You've obviously never been to TAXACHUSETTS.

$180/190 Vs. 30 minute jaunt to NH
Millz 12:24 AM - 9 November, 2010
Obviously!!
DJ DisGrace 1:01 AM - 9 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

it tax free.

so was the savings in taxes comparable to driving to get it?

I drive an hour to the US for a tank of gas! .... and it's still cheaper!
DJ-Phat-AL 1:18 AM - 9 November, 2010
wow.. it was just a valid question.

didn't know the exact of taxes per state, how far he was driving, what vehicle for MPG ratio...

so yeah Millz I really did type that.

alrighty then....
Millz 1:22 AM - 9 November, 2010
u think too much! have a brew and root for the Steelers!
DJ-Phat-AL 1:43 AM - 9 November, 2010
I don't drink and I don't root for just any team.

and there is no such thing as thinking too much... gets shit done!
Serato
Brigid 11:26 PM - 11 November, 2010
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd chime in on this thread, I know we've been a bit quiet recently on the Video-SL front, but that doesn't mean we haven't been working on it :)

We're well aware of the Video issues in the 2.x series, and we apologise to all the DJs having problems. There will be a fix coming for the mp4 issues in 2.2. We dedicated a bunch of time and resources into investigating these issues, so we have great confidence in the fixes.

And we're not just working on Video-SL bug fixes - there are some cool changes we're working on that I hope a lot of you will like - of course, I can't tell you anything about them, but we have not stopped working on Video-SL and are looking forward to releasing the future developments we have in store.

We're always listening/reading, so keep posting - we really value your feedback.
Res-Q 11:31 PM - 11 November, 2010
Thats great news Brigid. Cant wait to try out the new "cool changes"
DJCheLu 1:06 AM - 12 November, 2010
Hurray thats great news :).
fcprod1 1:10 AM - 12 November, 2010
any hints on when it will be released?
DJ-Phat-AL 1:25 AM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
We're always listening/reading, so keep posting - we really value your feedback.

Anyway you read all the features that Mix Emergency has and incorporate those? There are plenty of threads and posts here about it.
Res-Q 1:44 AM - 12 November, 2010
^^^^and do it better
Mac version & pc version separate maybe?
DJ-Phat-AL 1:52 AM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
^^^^and do it better

AMEN to that!!

Get more done that way...

PC version could be limited on features due kind of like a VSL Lite version.

The PRO version could be MAC only and have EVERYTHING you need!!
Niro 1:56 AM - 12 November, 2010
I'm hoping for Midi-Mappable transitions, especially if you're using the 68, way too many steps to get there.
Res-Q 2:09 AM - 12 November, 2010
Watch this thread turning into a feature request for vsl.

-Mac (pro) /PC (lite) VSL
-Midi-Mappable transitions for 68/57
-Record video sets within VSL/SL (video & audio)
-Choose which, and in what order, the crossfader transitions are applied.
DJ Soup 2:36 AM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

^^^^and do it better

AMEN to that!!

Get more done that way...

PC version could be limited on features due kind of like a VSL Lite version.

The PRO version could be MAC only and have EVERYTHING you need!!

I know you jokin' but I think they should just focus on a PC version since people who have MACs are gunna use Mix Emergency. Mix Emergency will probably never make a PC version so I'm kinda stuck with Video-SL
Serato
Brigid 2:44 AM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
Watch this thread turning into a feature request for vsl.

You don't need to start a new thread about features, we've already been reading the other thread entitled "What VSL features would you like to see?" - I think pretty much everything is in there that has ever been thought of :)

We do have great plans and a list that is very long, so we appreciate your patience as we try to balance optimisation and maintenance with the addition new features.
tomatoslice 3:53 AM - 12 November, 2010
haha...oh he means the one of many threads that i am a complete ass in.
tomatoslice 3:55 AM - 12 November, 2010
carter 9:47 PM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
haha...oh She means the one of many threads that i am a complete ass in.

Fixed.

Thanks for the info on the development of Video-SL Brigid. Good to hear from NZ every once in a while.

Patiently waiting on the 2.2 PB... ;-)
Serato
Brigid 11:10 PM - 12 November, 2010
Quote:
Fixed.

Cheers :)
djpuma_gemini 5:18 PM - 13 November, 2010
Let us (myself really) know when you need so public or private beta testing. I'm ready to push VSL to the next level.
lvmez 8:34 PM - 13 November, 2010
a second ago you were raving about mix emergency.
djpuma_gemini 8:51 PM - 13 November, 2010
I still am, but I wouldn't mind beta testing (cloak and dagger)
tomatoslice 11:42 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
Let us (myself really) know when you need so public or private beta testing. I'm ready to push VSL to the next level.

Quote:
a second ago you were raving about mix emergency.

yea, soooo...

push it...it will get better and then ME will get better, VSL get better, ME will be even more awesome and so on.

frankly, who here does NOT know that VSL needs to be pushed to the next level? anyone?

i loooooove ME and inklen is incredible.
even i will push VSl...BUT ONLY a working version.
fix the current issues in beta and i am cool.
vinylmanipulator 12:03 PM - 14 November, 2010
you know tomato....you sure have been "vocal" for awhile....hell longer than me...:-).....oh wait a minute....I stopped a long time ago and just decided the good folks at Serato know what their customers want.........time will tell.
vinylmanipulator 12:04 PM - 14 November, 2010
btw....I think Xmas may come a little early for 57 users......
DJ-Phat-AL 12:57 PM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:

oh do tell....
Millz 3:49 PM - 14 November, 2010
lol womp
tomatoslice 5:11 PM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
you know tomato....you sure have been "vocal" for awhile....

i have been waiting for someone to call me out. i promised myself that i would try to chill when that happened. 100% of the time i feel like the biggest dick out there...don't count on it. hopefully, i will go out like my hero and acquaintance Andy (Roctakon)
tomatoslice 5:15 PM - 14 November, 2010
btw i am a complete ass a LOT. i am VERY passionate about EVERYTHING.

however, i do have an equal and opposite side.
the people that know me here have probably seen that.
you know who you are.
djpuma_gemini 6:39 PM - 14 November, 2010
Take life one "slice" at a time.
nik39 7:26 PM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
i have been waiting for someone to call me out. i promised myself that i would try to chill when that happened. 100% of the time i feel like the biggest dick out there...don't count on it. hopefully, i will go out like my hero and acquaintance Andy (Roctakon)

Hey, we don't have any beef, tomatoslice, do we?
jbnyc 7:57 PM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
Take life one "slice" at a time.

Lol

Quote:
Quote:

Jerry Jerry Jerry Jerry Jerry
nik39 9:43 PM - 14 November, 2010
Jerry?
nik39 9:43 PM - 14 November, 2010
Ah, lol.
jbnyc 10:08 PM - 14 November, 2010
lol
vinylmanipulator 12:07 AM - 15 November, 2010
Lol...tomato.... No worries bro. I think most of us here in this particular section of the forum are very passionate about what we do and wanting the best. Trust me, I was there too....check some of my past posts of vsl "stepping it up"...lol. I think I'm just bit more chill now as I know we won't see any vsl beta till prolly first quarter.....but you never know maybe it will be sooner. For now I'm happy with my new present...
vinylmanipulator 12:08 AM - 15 November, 2010
Lol. At taking life one "slice" at a time....
GRiNDBoX 5:23 AM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

oh do tell....

???

whats the surprise???
tomatoslice 6:40 AM - 15 November, 2010
Quote:

oh hell, no.