Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

video tracks get anaylized durring start up of SL

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
djgaetano 12:30 AM - 4 August, 2010
Product: video-sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.8
---

EVERY TRACK IN MY HARD DRIVE HAS BEEN RE SCANNED AND ANALYZED. WHEN I CLOSE SL AND REOPEN IT THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 40 TO 50 VIDEO TRACKS WITH THE TIME AND DATE THAT I OPENED SL. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH VIDEOS. EVERYDAY I OPEN SCRATCH LIVE 40 - 50 VIDEOS WILL HAVE TODAY'S DATE. THIS IS BECOMING DIFFICULT TO FIND NEWLY ADDED TRACKS WHEN OLD TRACKS ARE SHOWING UP EVERY TIME I OPEN SCRATCH LIVE. ANY IDEAS? THIS HAPPENS WITH VERSION 2.0, & 1.9.2 ALSO.

I ALREADY RENAMED THE DATABASE V2 FILE

Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 6:09 AM - 9 August, 2010
Hi djgaetano,

Are these video files on an internal or external hard drive? Are these files in any of your crates?
djgaetano 11:05 AM - 9 August, 2010
all my music and videos are on an external drive. Most of the videos are in crates
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:53 AM - 10 August, 2010
Thanks for that.

Quote:

Was this the database V2 file on the internal, external or both drives?

Is this only happening with video files? If so, what format are these files?
djgaetano 1:36 PM - 10 August, 2010
I renamed both external and internal. It only happens to video files .mp4/ .mov

everytime I open scartch live it re anaylazes about 40 -50 video files
djgaetano 11:04 PM - 10 August, 2010
Ahhh I still have no solution, do you?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:44 AM - 11 August, 2010
The date added should be saved to the database, when you made a new one all of the dates would have been reset. Can I please get you to try this:

1) Click on the "All Videos..." crate in Scratch Live.
2) Click in the Library window and press ctrl + A to highlight all your video files.
3) Drag and drop these files onto the "All..." crate.

If you now restart Scratch Live does the date added still change? Doing this might change the date added to today, so you might need to try this then open Scratch Live the next day to see if the date changes (I hope that makes sense!)
djgaetano 12:57 AM - 11 August, 2010
doesent work. when i reopen SL I can see the time and date.
8/10/10 8:52:50
8/10/10 8:52:49

so on and so on. Its liek it will anyalize as many videos as it takes to start up. If it takes 30 seconds I will have 30 - 40 videos anylaized
djgaetano 1:03 AM - 11 August, 2010
and what about the video tracks that willnot hold the tag after I re name it
Res-Q 12:16 AM - 12 August, 2010
I ve got the same problem with some video files always appearing as if they were just added to my library. All my files are on my mbp internal hd. Using 2.0.1 or 2.1 rc3.
I noticed that this happens on video files as well as mp4 overlays that I've used to assign to some of my mp3s.
Gaetano do you use vsl and can you check if those video files are assigned to mp3s?
djgaetano 12:51 AM - 12 August, 2010
I do use VSL and some of the videos are assigned to mp3's but for the most part everytime I open SL it will anaylaze different mp4s and it will do it for as long as it takes to open.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:04 PM - 12 August, 2010
Version 2.1 full release, grab it and try it. Some m4a file support goodies.
serato.com
djgaetano 1:43 AM - 13 August, 2010
close but no cigar. It still scans the video tags. One good thing though is that the video re tagging/naming is fixed. The files that use to revert back to the original tag now get tagged. The columns now sort correctly. That really almost does me no good with the videos because I will never be able to find new tracks that were loaded because its always scanning old files and putting them at the top of the order date and time. Nice try. As they say back to the drawing board. I also tried starting SL with out the External hard drive plugged in and then plugging it in but that didn't work.
djgaetano 2:11 AM - 13 August, 2010
wait.... when sorting videos by date added it stil does not sort correctly. (ONLY WITH VIDEO FILES) If I click the added tab it will sort from current to last but then the dates get out of wack half way down
Res-Q 9:17 AM - 13 August, 2010
i ll try 2.1 this weekend and let u know how it goes for me. But I'm pretty sure the date added problem u got with video files is the same as mine and has nothing to do with internal/external drive but rather to video files that have been attached as overlay to a mp3.
djgaetano 2:57 AM - 14 August, 2010
shit now that I've taken a better look I think you are correct. Why does it do that? So really I just need to scroll down to the date prior for all my new adds.
djgaetano 2:13 AM - 31 August, 2010
I was thinking that the tracks that show up were mp3s with video files attached to them but that is not one hundred percent accurate.. I'm stilll getting 30 - 40 video tracks analyzing on start up. The tracks show the time of SL start up when hard ware is not attached. Any other solutions. This does not happen with audio files
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:28 PM - 31 August, 2010
That would be good to know for certain if it is only happenning on audio tracks that you have attached video to. Let us know :)
djgaetano 8:34 PM - 16 January, 2011
this problem is present with 2.2. It analyzes all my video files that are attached to audio files. It's even worse now than the other versions. On Start up it will show over 50 files on the date and time SL starts up? Is there a valid reason this is happening and why there is not a fix for yet. I was told in another thread that this would be fixed with build 22016, we are at 22033 and its the same issue
Res-Q 9:59 PM - 16 January, 2011
^^^been the same for me for a loooong time.
Posted reports about it too.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:56 PM - 17 January, 2011
We will no doubt have to do some investigating. To do so, can you attach 4 or 5 video files that this happens to every time? We might be able to duplicate it here using them.
djgaetano 1:18 AM - 18 January, 2011
I get the same result using a completly different model hard drive on a PC as I do with the Mac. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one complaining about the issue. No matter what type of drive or PC I use I can produce the issue. This has been on going since 2.0 I believe
Res-Q 2:14 AM - 18 January, 2011
I dont have much time right now Chad, but try to associate 1 mp4 video to 5or6 different mp3s and see if u get the same result please
djgaetano 2:23 AM - 18 January, 2011
heres the deal. This problem is consistant with 2.1 up to the present vesion 2.2 (22033)
I just used a Western digital hard drive that has my back up files and serato crates with a PC laptop and I get the same issue.
djgaetano 4:26 PM - 18 January, 2011
I had a little more time to follow up with this issues. This morning I down loaded the mac drive software to my windows pc to trick my pc into opening my mac formatted Lacie hard drive. On my windows vista Pc I CAN NOT duplicate the problem using my Lacie Hard Drive. So now it's a Mac problem.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 7:53 PM - 18 January, 2011
Hey guys,

Quote:
Is there a valid reason this is happening and why there is not a fix for yet.

This is a bug and should not be happening. I've had this bug logged for a while, but unfortunately sometimes what seems like an easy fix can take a while. We are working on this but I can't give you a release date sorry. I'll check in with the development team again and see how they are going with this.

Thanks.
djgaetano 3:39 AM - 19 January, 2011
ok thanks. I have faith in you guys
DjBoozie 1:24 AM - 24 January, 2011
Ok try this...U might have to reformat ur hard drive...try reformatting it to fat 32 and see if that work..I got a new seagate and I was having the same issue...Although I'm running a Mac..I can use it on both mac and pc...Sounds like ur hard drive isn't writing to ur files
djgaetano 2:46 AM - 24 January, 2011
Does it matter that I can use the same drive on my pc and it works fine? Both drives are dismayed for mac and on my pc I use a software called mac drive to trick the pc into thinking opening. But lacie does not recommended formatting to fat 32
djgaetano 3:50 AM - 24 January, 2011
come to think I believe my hard drive was fat 32 and I had the problem back then and that was since 2.0. Then I bought a new Lacie drive and left it as is (formatted for mac). Do you think if I re format the drive to fat 32 and re copy all my files it will work fine?
djgaetano 1:28 PM - 24 January, 2011
I reformatted the hard drive and rr copied the files. I open SL and everything loaded fine. Then I shut down SL and re opened SL and it scanned my mp4s again. So that did not fix the problem
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:16 PM - 24 January, 2011
The hard drive format shouldn't be the cause of this, it's a bug in the software. I'll keep you guys posted when I find out where we're at with this.
djgaetano 1:10 AM - 25 January, 2011
is this happening just with macs? I know I have no problems with a PC
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:51 AM - 25 January, 2011
It's been reported on both PC and Mac, but I've only reproduced it on a Mac.
KMXE 3:55 AM - 25 January, 2011
wow - i thought i was the only one with this problem

i reported this back in Dec 2009

serato.com

somewhere around 2.1 is where this problem has stopped for me, but when this exact same thing was happening it was annoying the living sh*t out of me!
KMXE 11:52 PM - 26 January, 2011
just added to my original thread serato.com

it happened again to me this morning on 2.1.1

as per the other thread the only thing i did was add some tags on some MP4's which were missing
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:15 AM - 27 January, 2011
Hey KMXE,

Have you tried 2.2, and if so do you still have the same problem?
3:00 AM, 10 Feb 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
djgaetano 12:02 AM - 23 December, 2011
After finding a temporary solution I finally found the problem why SL is righting video tags on start up. This is only happening when My Video SL plug in is enabled.. Meaning if I don't dis able my Video SL plug in before I shut down then Iit will randomly scan video tags on the next start up. So that puts about 50 - 70 video files on the top of DATE ADDED.. If I disable Video SL before I shut down I won't have the problem on the next start up.. weird?

Quote:
EVERY TRACK IN MY HARD DRIVE HAS BEEN RE SCANNED AND ANALYZED. WHEN I CLOSE SL AND REOPEN IT THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 40 TO 50 VIDEO TRACKS WITH THE TIME AND DATE THAT I OPENED SL. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH VIDEOS. EVERYDAY I OPEN SCRATCH LIVE 40 - 50 VIDEOS WILL HAVE TODAY'S DATE. THIS IS BECOMING DIFFICULT TO FIND NEWLY ADDED TRACKS WHEN OLD TRACKS ARE SHOWING UP EVERY TIME I OPEN SCRATCH LIVE. ANY IDEAS? THIS HAPPENS WITH VERSION 2.0, & 1.9.2 ALSO.

KMXE 6:05 AM - 13 January, 2012
Quote:
After finding a temporary solution I finally found the problem why SL is righting video tags on start up. This is only happening when My Video SL plug in is enabled.. Meaning if I don't dis able my Video SL plug in before I shut down then Iit will randomly scan video tags on the next start up. So that puts about 50 - 70 video files on the top of DATE ADDED.. If I disable Video SL before I shut down I won't have the problem on the next start up.. weird?

im gonna try this and see if i get the same result.

i noticed with 2.3.3 it was fine for a while (ie video files weren't being added at the top) then straight after I did TimeMachine backup (with my TimeMachine HD still connected) I opened SSL and it happened again.

I've sorta seen this happen before where everything will be fine for a while then I do a backup, then afterwards it starts again. I cant pinpoint a pattern (cant remember if Ive always left the HD connected or not as Im not trying to diagnose) but maybe something else to consider?
djgaetano 6:15 AM - 13 January, 2012
Try this and tell me what happens.. Open SL, go to set up, then plugins.. TURN OFF OR Disable the Video SL Pluggin.. Restart scratch live.. No files are being scanned on my end.. What I've been doing is turning off the plug in before I close SL.. WALA.. Obviously I shouldn't have to do it like that but it's been working ok...This only occurs when I'm using my FAT32 drive.. When I use the drive that is formatted for mac I have other issues I don't want to get into.. Also 2.3 is still buggy with video tags.. That's a whole other thread..
KMXE 8:24 AM - 19 January, 2012
finally had a chance to try this - and no this doesnt work for me. my files are still being scanned on start up!
djgaetano 8:59 PM - 26 February, 2012
This is crazy.. I don't have the problem with 2.3.1 on startup but with 2.3.3 and 2.4 it analyzez like 100 video tracks on startup and then puts them right at the top of date added.. so freaking frustrating
Res-Q 4:10 PM - 27 February, 2012
gaetano, are these vidz attached to mp3 as overlays too?
djgaetano 5:10 PM - 28 February, 2012
these vids are not all attached to mp3 files but most are just videos and it's random..It will scan 50 - 100 different videos on start up.. I can't believe there is no fix for this yet.. It happens with 2.4, 2.3.3 and 2.3.2 Not so much with 2.3.1 but I have other little issues going on with that
djgaetano 1:22 AM - 8 March, 2012
why would it matter if the videos are attached to mp3 files/.. It shouldn't do it.. period
djgaetano 1:47 AM - 29 August, 2012
STILL NO SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. FROM 2.0 TO 2.4.2 Video files are being analyzed on start up and put at the top of date added with the time and date of start up. I've been using 2.3.1 because its the only version that does not replicate the problem. But 2.3.1 still has issues. Like it builds overviews when I cue up tracks after my entire library has been analyzed. SMDH that this issue has been going on for over 2 years
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:51 PM - 3 September, 2012
Hi djgaetano,

Can you please upload one of the files you are experiencing this issue with consistently? (use the "attach a file" button on this thread.

How many files does this roughly affect?

What format is your external drive currently?

What Operating System are you using? Are you still on 10.5.8?
djgaetano 1:26 PM - 3 September, 2012
everything about my mac is the same. 10.5.8, running a lacie firewire and mac formated harddrives. I doubt use both at the same time ones a back up. It effects up to 100 tracks on start up. I have to leave the video plug in turned off in order for it not to happen. Also thats why I'm still using 2.3.1 because 2.4 it does it with or with or without the plug in on or off. I'm but at my mac to get you a file but I'll try later today
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:59 PM - 3 September, 2012
Ok thanks, that would be helpful. Also, if you could right click on the drive (you have this problem with) and select "get info" then take a screenshot so I can see all the information. I specifically after information about permissions and also the type of mac formatting.

phatbob 6:24 PM - 3 September, 2012
It's definitely related to video files which are linked to audio files. It happens as soon as a second drive is hooked in to SL, regardless of where the audio and video files affected are stored.

Been happening for years for me, and still happens with the latest Itch and SL.
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:50 PM - 3 September, 2012
Oh right, thanks phatbob, have you ever created a bug report in any beta areas regarding this bug?
phatbob 8:59 PM - 3 September, 2012
Oh yes... ;-)

I'll PM you mate.
skyy 9:34 PM - 3 September, 2012
same here phatbob
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:23 AM - 5 September, 2012
Ok, so it sounds like other users are having this issue, I just need to reproduce myself so it can be logged as bug. Let me try this out and then I will report back here!

1:00 AM, 19 Sep 2012
djgaetano 3:00 PM - 2 October, 2012
can I just fly to California and show you guys all the little issues I have ?
phatbob 7:31 PM - 2 October, 2012
Do you mean you'll fly via California on the way to New Zealand?

Because that's where Serato are...
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:48 AM - 3 October, 2012
Hey djgaetano,

We are located in New Zealand, so that flight might be more costly than you think.

I did manage to reproduce the main issue of the video tracks being analyzed, what other issues do you have?
djgaetano 1:57 AM - 3 October, 2012
i just want that issue fixed because I am stuck using version 2.3.1. the new version do the same thing. It adds extra unnecessary time for start up and then puts 100 tracks at the top of date added.I have to disable the plugin in order for it not to happen but with the new version it scans the video files with our with out the plug in turned on
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:15 AM - 3 October, 2012
I have logged the bug in our bug tracking system, so it will be fixed hopefully in the next update of Scratch Live.

Do you still have this issue in Scratch Live 2.3.3? What about 2.4.1??
djgaetano 2:55 PM - 3 October, 2012
I'm using 2.3.1 because that is the only version that does not have the bug. Although when the video plug in is on and then I close serato it will scan the video tags on start up. so as long as I turn off the plug in before I close SL then I don't have the problem the next time I start up
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:58 PM - 8 October, 2012
Hey djgaetano, sorry about the lack of reply.

I appreciate the extra information, I will add this to the bug report :)
9:00 PM, 22 Oct 2012