Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Interoperability windows/mac SSL

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
nik39 3:11 AM - 23 July, 2004
Hi,

are there any differences between the mac and pc version, esp. if I use an external drive on my Windows machine, can I use the same crates etc. if I plug the external drive to a mac? Will the crates be imported automatically? Any issues with drivenames?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 11:45 PM - 23 July, 2004
No known issues. All the library files are platform independent (NBO Unicode). Tracks filenames are stored using root-relative unix pathnames. The drive name or letter is not stored, since it is implied by the location of the library files.
nik39 1:27 PM - 24 July, 2004
What can I say? I am _really_ impressed, everything worked w/o any problems, plugged in my external USB drive (which I used in Windows) and SSL recognize _all_ crates on the Mac. Big props for that!
nik39 8:00 AM - 26 July, 2004
Okay, after replugging the external USB drive to my pc back I've encountered following problem:

If I map a track, which has been played (and then "striped") from the external drive on a mac the stripe overview is lost! I see it flashing once, which means they have been stored within the mp3, but when I map the track and then its reset. Both (mac and pc) use the same SSL software version 1107. Any ideas?
Serato, Moderator
AJ 6:16 PM - 26 July, 2004
Scratch LIVE should only discard a file's index if it detects a change in the audio of the file. Basically, as it reads the audio that it is busy buffering, it does a quick check to see if the overview it would have created matches the overview that exists in the file, if they don't match it throws it away and builds it again. Both Mac and Win versions should build exactly the same overview.

Is it every file that was indexed on the Mac? Did you notice the same thing happen on the Mac with files that were indexed on the PC? Is it only particular files? Is it repeatable with the same file?
nik39 6:27 PM - 26 July, 2004
Files have not been altered by myseld, my PC is also clean, no viruses.

Quote:
Is it every file that was indexed on the Mac?

I have tried some files, and all those which where played/indexed by the MAC have this problem.

Quote:
Did you notice the same thing happen on the Mac with files that were indexed on the PC?

I cant tell you :( And there is no MAC right here lying around.

Quote:
Is it only particular files?

No, see above

Quote:
Is it repeatable with the same file?

You mean if I index it on mac, then again on my pc and then back on the mac and then agian on mac?
I dont know. But if you mean if the indexes are lost/rebuild when I reload them on my pc once they have been built, no this is not the case. Once they have been indexed on my pc and I stay on my pc they dont get lost.
Serato, Moderator
AJ 7:51 PM - 26 July, 2004
OK, we'll have to do some cross-platform drive switching at Serato and watch for the specific signs you are seeing. I f we can't reproduce, we may need to borrow one of the files you are using.
nik39 10:34 PM - 26 July, 2004
Sure, no problem, I will help you as much as I can.