Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Freezing

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dj Greg G 2:43 AM - 21 July, 2004
I'm scratching back and forth using the cd's and ssl just stops, for about 3 or 4 seconds and then it comes back on. It's happened to me several times in the week that I've had it. It's happened with the vinyl as well. What's up? I got ssl because I have two new Den~~n s5000's that shut off sometimes during play. I thought that I wouldn't have to go through this annoying feature again. Please tell me that this is just a glitch. I've done the update. Somebody talk to me.
Serato
Josh 3:24 AM - 21 July, 2004
OS, Spec?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 3:28 AM - 21 July, 2004
Are you running any other applications at the same time?
Dj Greg G 4:45 PM - 21 July, 2004
No I'm not.
Dj Greg G 4:47 PM - 21 July, 2004
Athlon xp 2600+, 200gb, 512mb Windows xp.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 11:45 PM - 21 July, 2004
That's a beast of a machine. You shouldn't be having any problems with freezing. Do any other programs pause like that? Have you checked for viruses/malware etc?
Dj Greg G 2:20 AM - 22 July, 2004
No nothing else pauses like that. I checked and scanned no virus/malware.
Serato
Josh 4:36 AM - 22 July, 2004
Is there any specific situation needed for this behaviour to occur, e.g. it only happens when both tracks are playing?

When you say:

Quote:
It's happened with the vinyl as well

Do you mean to imply it's only happened a few times?

Do you only play one kind of audio mainly? WAVs, Audio CDs etc?
BadCompany 3:32 PM - 22 July, 2004
DJ Greg G does it happen w/ all audio files or just certain ones?
djtrippin 8:13 AM - 23 July, 2004
Nice computer! Is the 512RAM very distinguishable over 256? Im curious because I'm up grading my 256 to 512 soon and wondering if its worth it. I have the same motherboard/processor as you almost...

good luck on your ssl problem.. no freezing here thus far.
Dj Greg G 11:16 PM - 24 July, 2004
It hasn't happened at all lately. I posted another question on the forum about clicking and popping in the cd's, I'm using the Denon s5000s and I was using the key adj button with the pitch control. I stopped using the key adj and the clicking and popping stopped. I don't know if this had something to do with the freezing, but so far it's been thawed out. Upgrade to 512mb, I think it's worth it. If you guys think using the key adj button caused this problem, let me know. I couldn't tell you which files it happened with, the last time this happened was about a week ago. I played last night for about three hours, she,s running nice and smooth. Thanks again eveyone.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:31 AM - 27 July, 2004
dj greg g, see this discussion for an explination of why you can't use a CD player's key adjust: scratchlive.net
Lephunk 1:08 AM - 27 July, 2004
during a 6 hour gig... serato had multiple hiccups... when importing on the fly, and also playing off a audio cd... the laptop i'm currently using is a dell pentium4 about 2.6 gigs... and using a external harddrive for the music storage... the audio sometimes also gets muddy at times... is this a overheating laptop issue? or an instabilty issue? anyone else experiencing this type of behavior from their SSL??
nik39 4:52 PM - 27 July, 2004
All I can say about the on the fly usage of audio cd's, is that the cd has to be readable w/o any read errors, otherwise you will experience dropouts/hiccups. So, before I play anything from the CD I make sure to copy the tracks on the HD as a wave file to make sure they are read properly. This is not a problem of SSL by the way.