Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

V7 Support In Scratch LIve

amada32 5:42 AM - 4 June, 2010
I'm sure it will never happen, but I would like to see Scratch Live support the Numark V7 controller. I think Itch is great, but I am very accustomed to Scratch Live and I would love to be able to use the V7 the same way the CDJ-400 and iCDX work natively with Scratch Live.

I have a TTM57 and SL1, but even if I didn't, I would go out and buy something if it was required to run the V7 natively in Scratch Live.

I went 10 pages into the feature suggestions threads and didn't find anything, which is why I am posting this feature suggestion.

Please post your +1 if you agree.
Dj Knockout101 1:17 PM - 4 June, 2010
You can do the same thing in ITCH that you can do is Serato so why would they waste time to implement the V7 in Serato? I don't like the idea, but I am not the boss here!
amada32 6:33 PM - 4 June, 2010
Video-SL. I can go on, but that's one of my main reasons.
nik39 6:32 PM - 18 July, 2010
Quote:
Please post your +1 if you agree.

+1
Mutis 12:46 PM - 23 July, 2010

+1

If Pioneer cdj has HID support V7 MUST have support too.

Manny C dot com 11:59 PM - 17 August, 2010
+1
Manny C dot com 12:03 AM - 18 August, 2010
Or you could just go the other route:

twitpic.com
Mutis 9:15 AM - 18 August, 2010

+1 too but I still prefer native support of v7 into SSL

:)

amada32 3:49 AM - 8 September, 2010
Quote:

+1

If Pioneer cdj has HID support V7 MUST have support too.

I agree. Plus I wanted to bump this thread.

No one (especially me) is asking that the "Rane" hardware requirement for ScratchLive be circumvented (I love my 57), I'm just asking for the V7 to natively control the functions of ScratchLive. Numark already had a native ScratchLive controller with the iCDX....it's just that the iCDX did not have as much marketability as the V7 does.

It only seems fair that the V7 get the same support in ScratchLive that the new CDJs are getting. Itch is great, but it's just not ScratchLive and those subtle differences are the reason why I am asking for this feature request.
minnesotadj1 5:27 AM - 8 September, 2010
I totally would like to see the Numark V7 run SSL. Itch is pretty cool but, hey why not? Been looking at the V7 lately online and I am pretty impressed with the unit. I totally am supporting the V7 to run SSL.
Manny C dot com 11:42 PM - 8 September, 2010
Well, hopefully something will come of this. Here's Numark's response on the subject:

i.imgur.com

I've had a pair of V7's on my radar for a while now. SSL support would be just the thing to make me whip out my AMEX
amada32 1:46 AM - 12 September, 2010
Hopefully Numark, Rane and Serato look at it from a business perspective. If Scratchlive supported the V7 natively, the sales of all products necessary to run a V7 in Scratchlive would see an increase in sales.
Mutis 9:34 AM - 12 September, 2010

The Right way will be native support of HID and audio soundcard. Not SL involved but not vinyl control neither (from regular turntables) without SL hardware.

or

Add ITCH the interesting features from SSL.

Eskei83 2:14 PM - 12 September, 2010
+1
Mxtjay 2:03 PM - 19 September, 2010
+1
Djkom 9:32 AM - 6 October, 2010
I know that it's possible!

Check out this: Watchwww.youtube.com

Serato has just to implement a audio treatment that transforms V7 platter events into time code signal!
Mutis 9:38 AM - 6 October, 2010

It is more simple that this. No need for audio conversion and extra "cpu process".

Only enable remote control from midi 14 bits sysex and HID like in the pioneer CDJ2000 and that's it.

It is a matter of marketing than technical issue but very injust to V7 users.

Djkom 10:07 AM - 6 October, 2010
Quote:

It is more simple that this. No need for audio conversion and extra "cpu process".

Only enable remote control from midi 14 bits sysex and HID like in the pioneer CDJ2000 and that's it.

It is a matter of marketing than technical issue but very injust to V7 users.

It's really sad!!! but with this video now we know that is possible to use the V7 in SSL through ITCH (V7 outputs in SL/TTM inputs) but I don't know if MIDI will be avaible in SSL since ITCH already maps V7 controls...
Mutis 10:39 AM - 6 October, 2010

It is more simple.

- Enable V7 in SSL soundcard audio engine.
- Use V7 as a dongle (like Rane hardware)
- Disable vynil control from this and only make it avariable with rane hardware (more or less like cdj2000 way)
- Enable midi/hid remote control protocol from V7 for SSL.

or

- Put all the features in ITCH and maintain them separate but don't support pioneer for money and left V7 users in the way... booth are costumers.

Closerato as usual. And as you see it is not a matter of knowledge or resources, it is only about marketing and money.

jm2c.

radikarl 11:25 AM - 6 October, 2010
www.serato.com
i think to use the controls is possible with midi now ;-)
i don't know about the motorized platter movement though
Mutis 11:42 AM - 6 October, 2010

Midi controls is possible with Traktor too...

Platter movement and scratch are the "must have".

Why to buy a V7 without them? For triggering cue points?

Nanopad is cheaper, you know?

radikarl 11:44 AM - 6 October, 2010
i'm talking about the platter movement mapped to the track movement. that is what you call "scratch"
nik39 11:51 AM - 6 October, 2010
Wiggy wiggy... Karl, check your PM's ;)
Mutis 11:51 AM - 6 October, 2010

Well none of them is "avariable" (motor control or vinyl encoder) from Numark/serato to implment in other software than ITCH.

Ask DjQuartz, he tried with Traktor without sucess...

;)

nik39 11:58 AM - 6 October, 2010
Yeah, no offense, but Quartz is not that much of a tech guy as radikarl is :)
radikarl 11:58 AM - 6 October, 2010
Can anyone with a V7 then please use Midi Monitor and do some Platter movements?

then post results?
What channel, what Note or CC is used upon touch and upon motion?

If the V7 does not send platter (or "vinyl" in that case) movement information via Midi, than i see no way for now.
If it does send MIDI, chances are it works with the trick mentioned in my link.
Mutis 12:07 PM - 6 October, 2010

It seems is not a regular "cc" message.

Ask Quartz he has the tech info.

But this only solves the platter/vinyl movement (not really the motor control) and SSL still need the Rane Hardware to "get sound".

Natively support is required.

nik39 12:29 PM - 6 October, 2010
Quote:
But this only solves the platter/vinyl movement (not really the motor control) and SSL still need the Rane Hardware to "get sound".

Don't expect this to be changed.

I have no probs with the Rane Hardware to get the sound.
amada32 5:28 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Neither do I. I think Rane has an exclusive on the soundcard(s) for ScratchLive.
amada32 5:51 PM - 8 October, 2010
Plus, I alreay own 2 Rane interfaces for ScratchLive.
amada32 5:51 PM - 8 October, 2010
*already.
amada32 8:30 AM - 9 October, 2010
I tried to MIDI map my V7 to ScratchLive and noticed when the V7 is connected to the laptop's USB port, the Play button does not start the motor unless Itch is running. While it is possible to capture the MIDI signals from the V7 platter, the minute Itch is closed, the platter stops responding to the play and cue buttons.
nik39 11:33 AM - 9 October, 2010
That's most likely because the V7's are waiting for Midi commands from the software on your computer.
amada32 3:01 PM - 9 October, 2010
Thanks for the info. I'm new to MIDI.

Since ScratchLive does not output MIDI signals, I'm assuming it's not possible to use the V7 motorized platter with ScratchLive unless Serato offers native support?
Eskei83 11:34 AM - 10 October, 2010
the funny thing is that when you connect the v7 to your laptop and run scratchlive, there's an option in the midi-setup to enable the v7! but it's not working ...
nik39 2:22 PM - 10 October, 2010
This option lists any and all Midi devices, so it's not a V7 specific behaviour.
BigBoiBBp 2:08 AM - 11 October, 2010
+1 on this one.

ive been looking at getting the v7 for some time know, however there are some things i would like to see implemented if i were to get them and this is one of them...

there are so many people that think that itch and scratchlive are the same however it just isnt true. I currently use an mpd 26 with my setup and i prefer that to the hot cue buttons on the v7's, however itch does not allow for other external midi controllers to be used. this is simply one example of why i would like to see this.

i also like scratch live's gui a lot more, its what ive been using and its what im more used to. i wouldnt mind if i had to use my sl3 with the 2 v7's to have it work, as long as i could use them with scratch live as opposed to itch.

i got a bunch of reasons for this, but i will be writting them in a blog entry for another site, however ill post a link as soon as its done.
amada32 7:52 PM - 12 October, 2010
Quote:

i got a bunch of reasons for this, but i will be writting them in a blog entry for another site, however ill post a link as soon as its done.

When you are finished with the blog entry, please post the link as I would be interested in reading it.
Mutis 8:44 PM - 12 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. I was to try to say "Numark soundcard instead Rane hardware but without vinyl control (you have an V7, you don't need more vinyl control than this)"

;)

dj56_56 12:31 AM - 21 October, 2010
Looka here.. Itch is the LE version Scratch Live, a rep at Numark confirmed it. So..., I like Scratch Live over Itch and I know it is about the money when it come to Rane equipment. So, if Rane and Serato Team, if you are listening, just make and sale a dongle jump drive stick made by Rane for all the controllers that works with Itch. Then we can buy this dongle and move to Scratch Live and still use our sound card.

It will be a Deal Done. Rane still get paid and we get Scratch Live with the V7.....
amada32 3:33 AM - 21 October, 2010
Rane got paid when I bought my SL1 and TTM57. Numark got paid when I bought the V7. Serato got paid on all three purchases and I still can't use my V7 with ScratchLive. :(
nik39 7:27 AM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Looka here.. Itch is the LE version Scratch Live, a rep at Numark confirmed it.

That's bs.
dj56_56 12:47 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Looka here.. Itch is the LE version Scratch Live, a rep at Numark confirmed it.

That's bs.

Oh.. so you another one that doesn't want to accept the facts.
nik39 3:04 PM - 21 October, 2010
Facts?

Fact 1: itch had effects before SL
Fact 2: itch had 4 decks before SL
Fact 3: itch had beatgrids before SL
etc.

At the same time SL had features which itch didnt have.

Now I came up with facts.

Do you wanna give it a try and convince us about your "facts"?
dj56_56 3:11 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Facts?

Fact 1: itch had effects before SL
Fact 2: itch had 4 decks before SL
Fact 3: itch had beatgrids before SL
etc.

At the same time SL had features which itch didnt have.

Now I came up with facts.

Do you wanna give it a try and convince us about your "facts"?

Ok.. uhmm

Now.. right now... not had .. now.. ....SSL has 50 times over the features that Itch has... right now.. do you hear me.. right now... I am done with this... you figure it out
nik39 6:46 PM - 21 October, 2010
You shouldn't post uninformed assumptions.
nik39 6:46 PM - 21 October, 2010
Oh, and wassup with your "facts"?
radikarl 6:51 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
SSL has 50 times over the features that Itch has... right now.. do you hear me.. right now... I am done with this... you figure it out

Ok you want facts, then i will now give you 2 ( two ! ) proofs that nik is right, and the quoted statement is wrong:
###########
Preliminary Thougts:

Features in ScratchLive, missing in Itch:
- Video-SL (if you Pay)
- TimeCode Control with CD or Vinyl (obvious)
- The Bridge (scheduled and a.f.a.i.k in Private Beta already)
- Sample Player
- Support for Third Party Midi-Devices ("Midi-In")

Features in Itch, missing in ScratchLive:
- AutoSync (don't say i want it, just saying how it is)

I don't Count this or that Native Controller since there are some for Itch which don't work for ScratchLive and vice versa. If you want to Count them, there about as many for Itch as for ScratchLive.
I don't count "Internal Mixing" since thats the same look and feel with Itch as with e.g. the TTM57SL and ScratchLive - no GUI-Mixer in neither one.

Now that is a total score of 5:1 for Scratchlive.
######### (End of preliminary thougts)

########
Proof 1:
That is 4 more for ScratchLive
4 divided by 50 is 0.08. (You said it, 50 times)
That means: If your statement is a fact, then ScratchLive has an overall amount of less than one tenth feature.
That is (rounded) ten times less features than your bare hands,
since with them you can at least create a rhythmic sound (just clap), which is an overall of one feature.
Lets make a deal: Give me your ScratchLive Device, in change you stay with your bare hands, which means you win 0.92 features, that is almost one complete feature you win there.
Since you won't make that deal, the Statement can't be true since no one would not take a free upgrade
#########

#########
Proof 2:
Mathematically, neither set of features is is a subset of the intersection of features of both products, therefore, logically, neither one list of features can be subset to the other. Therefore neither one can be a LE to the other.
If they added AutoSync to ScratchLive in some future version (which my guess is they will, in 5 years), then maybe you could claim that, but it would then not be "right now" as your statement claims.
#########

Don't take me too serious ;-)

Now Back to Topic.
Features that are missing in both:
- Midi-Out
- uhm yeah that's about it.

We need Midi Out!

MIDI OUT!!!

MI

DI

OUT
dj56_56 7:42 PM - 21 October, 2010
@radikarl ..You just give me a headache! LOL but you are in denial just like nik39. But Serato employees are reading this thread right here. I will slow to update too, because is majority users think Itch is ok. This is crazy...LOL This maybe the reason why Serato is doing what they are doing.. LOL... Like guy said in the movie 300.. this is maddness ... LOL... LOL.. but I going leave y'all alone..
nik39 8:10 PM - 21 October, 2010
LOLS.
nik39 8:10 PM - 21 October, 2010
Leaving us alone and not posting a single fact??
radikarl 9:06 PM - 21 October, 2010
i never said itch or scratch live were ok as they are.
there is a lot to improve. (MIDI OUT for example)

still - for me SL is the best product on the market.
nik39 9:13 PM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

+1 on both.
amada32 1:12 AM - 22 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

+1 on both.

+1 on the +1
Dj Casius Tonen 3:51 AM - 24 October, 2010
WE NEED MIDI OUT , but we have a closed bridge. and to crossing the bridge, you must pay ableton live 8,

PD: ableton intro ( for dj performance ) = no bridge = no midi. arrghhhh
BigBoiBBp 2:39 AM - 18 November, 2010
so ive recently written an article on the numark v7 and my opinions on the unit. if your at all interested in giving it a read the link will be down below. feedback is always appreciated, please leave comments on the article on the other site aswell.

thanks.

link: www.ytdjs.com
Eskei83 7:44 PM - 19 November, 2010
good article! i forwarded it to Numark... I deejay the Numark "we rock v7" tour in Germany and I play every gig with ScratchLive and have itch runnin in the back ...
Djkom 12:01 AM - 20 November, 2010
Quote:
so ive recently written an article on the numark v7 and my opinions on the unit. if your at all interested in giving it a read the link will be down below. feedback is always appreciated, please leave comments on the article on the other site aswell.

thanks.

link: www.ytdjs.com

Great analyze !!! Hope you will get many good and constructive feedbacks that make both Numark and Serato change their mind!
BigBoiBBp 5:19 AM - 23 November, 2010
Very big thanks to both of you guys. i am currently starting a new article which i think you guys may like.

Quick pic of my gear: sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

As you can see i clearly see i am really a numark fan, and the V7's will soon be added to my setup.

Eskei83: thank you for the forward, the more people at numark that see the article, the better and faster our response will be.
dj mood 2 7:11 AM - 9 January, 2012
have u played all of them at the same time lol BIG UPS NICE SET UP.....
DjTom-i 2:48 PM - 9 January, 2012
Quote:
Features in ScratchLive, missing in Itch:
- Video-SL (if you Pay)
- TimeCode Control with CD or Vinyl (obvious)
- The Bridge (scheduled and a.f.a.i.k in Private Beta already)
- Sample Player
- Support for Third Party Midi-Devices ("Midi-In")

Features in Itch, missing in ScratchLive:
- AutoSync (don't say i want it, just saying how it is)

Well said, this exactly this is the core of the problems in the Serato world. Both sides want those "killer features" from the other site. Serato blocks that what all users want on both sites to spread their standing on two (or even more) "scenes".
+ in the Scratch Live "scene" there are a lot of stupid "sync blockers" who think they have better reputation if there is no sync at all in the software.

Thats how serato causes a bad feeling everywhere cause of simple missing things that are already developed "inhouse" for a sister product which has nearly the same devs.

We will see if they learn a lesson in the future and make us all happy. I dont mind anymore about missing sync in SL. I have already arranged with it and love my SL3.
dj bach 6:43 PM - 14 January, 2012
+1. it would be sooo nice with 3-4 v7´s i SSL.

no needle bumping, great vinyl feel, compact design, no need for further controllers.

I´m stil stuck with sl1, pioneer 400´s and 1210´s. a SSL support for the v7, would solve many of my problems, so sl4 would be attractive.
dj mood 2 7:54 PM - 14 January, 2012
as i look around my room ALL i see is serato product..? ...!... vci 300 ..four v7's 2of them stay cased ready to GO PARTY... rane TTM57.. O YEA 1 more thing denon x-600 usb mixer.
dj mood 2 10:46 PM - 14 January, 2012
99$ VSL CHECKIN it out now o yea the 57 has a inno fader in it
DJ-JDog 7:50 AM - 17 January, 2012
How about NS7's as well.??
dj mood 2 11:45 PM - 18 January, 2012
tea ihad 1 .....( too damm heavy )
SCRATCHMASTA JAZZY G 6:19 AM - 19 January, 2012
+1 That's A Good ? We Need SCRATCH LIVE To Work With The V7'S Totally
DJMIYAGI 9:21 PM - 2 June, 2012
Quote:
How about NS7's as well.??

NS7 is not functional as a stand alone mixer. So you'd still need at least a 2 channel mixer. A bit too much if you ask me. :/
dj mood 2 12:47 AM - 8 June, 2012
bad news NEW UPDATE KILLED EVERYTHING........ mad prob....
DJ Quartz 3:16 PM - 28 July, 2012
Just to chime in from the previous project. It basically became beating a dead horse.

I had private access to version that had the module to support the NS7 platter and mapped all the other functions via midi. From talking with a couple users, the V7 worked with the settings files with minor tweaks but there was a problem using two units simultaneously if I remember correctly.

The soundcard already worked because of the asio drivers and I had a fully working proof of concept.

However, it never went anywhere officially I'm assuming due to politics. So I stopped wasting time on the project.

SSL functions started to be merged into Itch and Traktor never supported it so I didn't see a point to go any further without support from the vendors.
amada32 1:33 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quartz, do you have the MIDI file for the V7? I would like to try it, as my main setup is a 57 and 2 V7s. If so, PM me. Thanks.
dj mood 2 4:49 PM - 1 August, 2012
Quote:
bad news NEW UPDATE KILLED EVERYTHING........ mad prob....

....so now I'm ITCHing..my...(A.XX) & rideing traktor......SO far SO Good......