Websites Discussion

Talk about our websites Serato.com and Whitelabel.net
To talk about a Serato product such as Scratch Live or ITCH please find the appropriate forum area.

Quality Vs. Quanity

Kool DJ Sheak One 6:09 AM - 29 December, 2006
Being that this is just the start, and things are still pure (almost), Will there be some type of filter we can use, to tailor to our tastes. Like reccomendations based on how we rate a song. It would be great to not even allow songs like Laffy soup, or Chicken noodle taffy to be accessed.Being that this is made by/for djs, could'nt we restrict all the crap that is forced upon us, and just allow good, ground breaking music to come through? Since we are the taste makers of our society, don't we owe it to the public, and other upcoming djs, to have only the best available? Is that unrealistic? Or should we just settle to be cluttered with caca. I know it might not be easy to just get permission to use any track, but is'nt there enough good music out there to find and offer to the Serato community?
dj cubicle 6:26 AM - 29 December, 2006
So how do you propose that Serato decides what should be considered good, groundbreaking music? I'm sure the rating system will be coming and when the labels see that we think some of the songs are garbage, they in turn won't be as apt to help Artist A or Producer B. It's no different than digging for that unheard gem to drop into your set. I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting to find here...
mexicannnnnn 6:30 AM - 29 December, 2006
Maybe we can have some kind of rating system "Club rating" and "Quality Rating". That way we can separate the pop junk that might have a high club rating from the quality stuff.

Laffy Taffy might get a CR of 4/5 but a QR of 0/5 where as J5 might get CR of 1/5 and QR of 4/5.

Maybe we can apply filters based on the user averages (ie. hide all CR under 2).
Kool DJ Sheak One 6:49 AM - 29 December, 2006
So how do you propose that Serato decides what should be considered good, groundbreaking music?
Quote:

I like a rating system for club vs quality and filters.
I propose that there is a system which bases new ratings on old ones you have made. If you like anything Premiere does and rate him as a 5 star producer, anything that he puts out, will have a higher suggested rating.

I understand that digging is part of the fun in finding a hot track, but it would be nice to dig through less obviously bad stuff. I guess that is where a custom rating system would be nice.
(i reversed the quote)
dj cubicle 6:59 AM - 29 December, 2006
you no likey the chicken soup? :-)

yeah, that one's in the trash. LOL
KMXE 9:35 AM - 31 December, 2006
what song is good or bad for whatever market is completely relative..... a song that works in the clubs in the states may not work in the clubs in Australia and vice versa. A rating system would give a general consensus - and im not against a rating system, but there have been times where a track received a bad rating, and it turned out to be a club banger and the same the other way around.

Quote:

I like a rating system for club vs quality and filters.
I propose that there is a system which bases new ratings on old ones you have made. If you like anything Premiere does and rate him as a 5 star producer, anything that he puts out, will have a higher suggested rating.

i kinda like this idea..... if there was enough options i think this would work for most DJ's.
stendek 4:58 AM - 2 January, 2007
I gotta say something here. I think Laffy Taffy is brilliant. It's almost Neo-Classical in it's simplicity. The beauty of it is that if you can't find the instrumental of it on line, you can make it yourself with a $50 drum machine and a fart noise. But in all honesty, I think if I had to name the most brilliant song of the year, it would have to be Chain Hang Low by Jibbs. Like Laffy Taffy, the instrumental can be self made; all you need is a $50 drum machine and an ice cream truck.
society 11:20 AM - 2 January, 2007
Quote:
I gotta say something here. I think Laffy Taffy is brilliant. It's almost Neo-Classical in it's simplicity. The beauty of it is that if you can't find the instrumental of it on line, you can make it yourself with a $50 drum machine and a fart noise. But in all honesty, I think if I had to name the most brilliant song of the year, it would have to be Chain Hang Low by Jibbs. Like Laffy Taffy, the instrumental can be self made; all you need is a $50 drum machine and an ice cream truck.

That's assuming your mixing and mastering skills are up to snuff...
Bluefunk 7:30 AM - 3 January, 2007
What's up to all my fellow DJs and Technicians? I'm Bluefunk and also new to the forum. I DJ every Friday and Saturday at clubs in a college town and I also work with the college radio station. How can I get some hot music for the clubs and radio. I read that certain music was open to club and radio DJs. How can I get the blessings. I DJ in a town where I am the sole provider of what people will party to. I want to keep it real and keep my rep as a party banger!!! (Two Turntables and a Mic style, although I am trying out the CD players). Help me to feed and lead the people. (About 22,000 Undergraduate and Graduate students, Holla Back) Hip Hop, R & B, Reggae, and House Music is what I Spin.
Bluefunk 10:00 AM - 3 January, 2007
I read the Read Me part on the forum and my question was answered.
mexicannnnnn 10:31 AM - 3 January, 2007
You dont need to know how to mix to make a track.
Talrinys 12:59 PM - 3 January, 2007
To make it a hit? Damn well you do, you won't survive for long without having a brilliant mixdown.