DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

***HEADS UP*** Hip Hop/Top 40 Demo's Wanted for Hollywood Club

DjWoody 4:35 AM - 5 December, 2006
Just giving my SSL Fam another heads up. I just got asked to be resident at a LEGENDARY Hollywood Club. This venue is 2000 capacity with full blown EAW Sound System. I can't say the name yet, but they asked me for "DJ AM" type of demos. They're switching formats and want to go towards the DJ AM style. This venue has an extended hours license and usually closes at 4am. However, there's been times when they've done afterhours until 1pm the next day.

Anyhow, if you want me to give them the demo, feel free to upload it to my FTP server. Please include your contact info and tracklisting. If you can include a SHORT Bio and some places where you have played it, it will be great. They need people that can rock the crowd and preferably have experience with a venue this big.

To access my FTP you will need an FTP Client such as WsFTP (PC) or Fetch (Mac). You can download one from www.Download.com.

Here's the login info. Please make a folder with your name on it and upload your files into that folder.

HOST: livemag.web.aplus.net
USERNAME: mixshow
PASSWORD: upload

I'll give the demos to the promoter.

Good Luck!
- Woody
sG 9:05 AM - 5 December, 2006
sick... i'll jump on it.
J_Static 7:45 PM - 7 December, 2006
DJ AM style isn't just T40 and HipHop, he plays ALOT of things only vinyl junkies spend YEARS crate digging for!!!!!

But if Top40(which is predominately Pop, R&B, and HipHop) and HipHop is what they want, then I'm on it as well.....

P.S. Just keep Paris Hilton out of my DJ Booth! HAHAHA
djzoo 8:03 PM - 7 December, 2006
I understand you wanna hook the SSL family up (def appreciated), but why don't they just get DJ AM? Does he charge an outrageous amount or are they looking for weekly residents? Just asking.
Sim 8:07 PM - 7 December, 2006
thats a sick hook up Woody, Ill upload my last mixed tape
tig ol' bitties 8:08 PM - 7 December, 2006
Quote:
I understand you wanna hook the SSL family up (def appreciated), but why don't they just get DJ AM? Does he charge an outrageous amount or are they looking for weekly residents? Just asking.

I read somewhere he gets 10,000 for his weekly residency in las vegas
J_Static 8:12 PM - 7 December, 2006
Check the threads for DJ AM making like 160,000......

AM drops some lines in their talking about "BREAK BREAD!"

I 2nd DJ AM man, DJ's get your money on, PERIOD!
djzoo 8:13 PM - 7 December, 2006
Wow, i've read the myths about $160,000 for 3 days, and i know whe spins in Plesanton, CA once a month, but i can't see them paying him $10 gz for one night. If so, good for him.
tig ol' bitties 8:23 PM - 7 December, 2006
Quote:
Wow, i've read the myths about $160,000 for 3 days, and i know whe spins in Plesanton, CA once a month, but i can't see them paying him $10 gz for one night. If so, good for him.

hes a draw. I think he does thursdays in vegas. that club probably pulls in close to 100K or more that night. My boy frequents it and says its always packed, so 10k really isnt much for vegas
J_Static 8:55 PM - 7 December, 2006
Regardless if AM played Madonna and Britney Spears all night accompanied by the "Hokey Pokey" song, the place he spins in will pack past capacity, the club gets it's money if not double or triple what they usually get, soooo in the end they have no issues with paying that man what he's worth....

I'd love to know what his hourly going rate is!

AM's a force to be reckon with, props to him and any other DJ out there doing they're thing.
DjWoody 9:18 PM - 7 December, 2006
Quote:

It's for weekly residents. I'm sure they'll bring headliners. BTW, this venue is 2 rooms, 2 storys, 2000 capacity, and a HUGE Outdoor Patio on the second floor.
djzoo 3:44 AM - 8 December, 2006
sorry for jacking... sounds like a nice place. look out for my submission.
Dj Shamann 4:26 AM - 8 December, 2006
I never even heard of DJ AM until I came to this site, and please spare me the geeky laugh-snorts like a bunch of Trekkie's finding out someone doesn't know who Captain Kirk is, because I really don't care if I'm not cool amongst the other DJ's for not knowing who he is... You'd swear the mans nuts tasted like syrup the way they're stuck to peoples mouths around here. ;p

(that was joke BTW)

Anyway, does anybody have a link to his music, I really want to check it out, it's gotta be worth checking out after all the praise he gets.
m3sport 4:34 AM - 8 December, 2006
Quote:
I never even heard of DJ AM until I came to this site, and please spare me the geeky laugh-snorts like a bunch of Trekkie's finding out someone doesn't know who Captain Kirk is, because I really don't care if I'm not cool amongst the other DJ's for not knowing who he is... You'd swear the mans nuts tasted like syrup the way they're stuck to peoples mouths around here. ;p

(that was joke BTW)

Anyway, does anybody have a link to his music, I really want to check it out, it's gotta be worth checking out after all the praise he gets.

Agree..Whos is this all mighty DJ?
Sim 5:18 AM - 8 December, 2006
just cuz u havent heard of the kat doesnt take anythin away from him, maybe ur just not in the "scene" as much as the next kat who does kno who he is
Dj Shamann 5:57 AM - 8 December, 2006
Uh oh, did I hurt someone's feelings? LOL it's like I called it with the Captain Kirk comment, automatically it's me who's out of touch because I don't know who he is, did you read the part where I said I don't care? I can probably name 100 Dj's that you're not familiar with, does that mean you're out of touch? No, because I'm sure you could name some back. It means he's just not as much of a household name on the East Coast. I honestly don't know the difference between Sunset Strip, Hollywood, or any other West Coast area so how would I know what the DJ's are sayin out there?. Totally different scenes my man. I was out there for a week when I was younger and we stayed by 18th St, I got to see Crenshaw and Hollywood BLVD and that's it, so I'm obviously not an authority on LA, and I've never even BEEN to Vegas.

And where did I indicate that I was taking ANYTHING away from the guy? I said that he's obviously worth checking out because of the way people talk about him (and reading about the paycheck he commands) I wouldn't ask for a link if I was hating on the guy, I was genuinely curious.

Don't be so defensive, it makes you look like a Stan (not saying you are, but your comment about me not being in the scene as much as someone else because he's got all the stats on some dude and I don't could be misread as that...if I actually cared)
Dj Shamann 5:57 AM - 8 December, 2006
So yeah um...can anybody tell me where I can check him out?
J_Static 6:02 AM - 8 December, 2006
Put the gloves down first fellas....

Shamann you can find him by doing a search for DJ AM on youtube.com or go to DJAM.com
Dj Ryme 6:12 AM - 8 December, 2006
You can check him out here Shamann

www.myspace.com
Dj Shamann 6:27 AM - 8 December, 2006
Thanks guys, I can't say I was really feeling his little intro track. But I dug the video of him doing a live little rock set. That Stay Fly joint was dope too, I could hear that tearing apart a crowd. And I'm guessing with all the use of Crooklyn Clan material he's one of their guys? (I've owned maybe two Crooklyn Clan records in my life, I prefer to make my own so I'm not exactly up to date on their roster)
Dj Shamann 6:30 AM - 8 December, 2006
Oh snap! that's the cat from Entourage who punked of Turtle for his shoes! Brap!!!

Great episode.
Sim 6:39 AM - 8 December, 2006
damn homie, if u have to write a dissertation paper on the subject, maybe uve the one thats been rubbed wrong, and u wont find me statin anymore on this topic before it turns into flame war
DJJOHNNYM 6:43 AM - 8 December, 2006
LOL! Sorry cats, but I hadn't heard of DJ AM until I got here too...Maybe it's a West Coast thang....
<<<<<------- REPPIN' JERZEY!
Dj Shamann 6:50 AM - 8 December, 2006
Quote:
damn homie, if u have to write a dissertation paper on the subject, maybe uve the one thats been rubbed wrong,

LOL
Dj Shamann 6:52 AM - 8 December, 2006
Quote:
LOL! Sorry cats, but I hadn't heard of DJ AM until I got here too...Maybe it's a West Coast thang....
<<<<<------- REPPIN' JERZEY!

I think that's what it is, I notice a lot of West Coast cats on here, so to us over on this side it's just kind like out of the blue hearing about this Dj legend and you're like "How did I miss this guy?"
J_Static 6:54 AM - 8 December, 2006
Born on the East Coast, love and respect ALOT of East Coast DJ's. Reside on the West Coast, and have respect for cats out here too.... BUT I DON'T CLAIM A COAST, I claim my background.

BORIQUA'S in the place to be.....
DJJOHNNYM 6:55 AM - 8 December, 2006
Hey, I peeped him, he's alright, I guess, and I only say "Alright" because the only DJ or DJ's I look up to CONSISTANTLY are Jazzy Jeff and Cash Money as far as being an overall DJ is concerned.
jeyone 9:56 AM - 8 December, 2006
yo woody i shot you an email. thanks. one.
Q Styles 1:19 PM - 8 December, 2006
Quote:
Hey, I peeped him, he's alright, I guess, and I only say "Alright" because the only DJ or DJ's I look up to CONSISTANTLY are Jazzy Jeff and Cash Money as far as being an overall DJ is concerned.

you just admitted your ignorance. dumbasses like you shouldnt post opinions.
Monk-A 4:42 PM - 8 December, 2006
Quote:

(that was joke BTW)

in all honesty i'm from london and i'd never heard of him, until i hit this site either....

Fair play to the guy he's pretty good at what he does, and dosn't claim to be anything he's not, and from his posts on here he's got a great outlook on what he does and how fortunate he is to be doign hwat he loves, and i think that commands respect.

But i think people need to realise that there's a whole stack of people doing what he does the world over - the Ninjatune guys have been doing this kinda of mash up for years, and 90% of the London DJ scene has been this eclectic & mashup style over the last 10 years, starting out with events like the Heavenly Social where the Chemical Brothers cut their teeth and so on..... People Like Optimo in Glasgow do the same.. it's Not a DJ AM phenominan, he's just a lucky that did the hardwork and is now in a place where he can be brought up to the profile he has and earn the money he is.
DJJOHNNYM 6:57 PM - 8 December, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

you just admitted your ignorance. dumbasses like you shouldnt post opinions.

First off...your mother's a dumbass for not swallowing. I have no need to look up to anybody else, because in my opinion, they are all taking/borrowing from Jeff and Cash's style in the long run. Let me break it down to you Queer ...

Yeah, Grandmaster Flash and those early cats made radical changes to the DJ industry of their time, but Jazzy Jeff and Cash are from MY TIME, and they, in my opinion, made the MOST INCREDIBLE leaps and bounds in the DJ INDUSTRY since Flash. You would have no crabs, flares, and all that other NEWAGE scratching if they didn't bring it to the forefront.

I haven't seen anything that DJ AM has done which has broken down barriers. Again, I didn't know of him until this forum, and I can appreciate what he's doing, so that's a plus...

butunfortunately, I didn't know of YOU [b]Queer{/b] Styles, until this forum either. So, 1 out of 2 isn't bad.
DjWoody 11:28 PM - 8 December, 2006
Oh god! Please no more shit talking on my thread. I don't want the mods to shut it down or you guys geting banned.

DJ AM is good at what he does, he has a following, appeals to girls, sells out clubs, has a unique sound to him, from his threads he seems down to earth, dated Nicole Ritchie (LUCKY BASTARD!!! Hehehehe), He's a Hollywood DJ for the Stars, can play more than one style of music on his set, and much more. No wonder the club wants to go after his sound!

Lets face it, clubland is a businees. At the end of the night, the club owners don't care about what DJ started what scratch, who "took/borrowed" from who, or if the DJ's are known in other cities. They mostly care about one thing.. MAKING MONEY. And if DJ AM is going to make club owners money, he's gonna get booked! And if he's on demand, then DJ AM has the right to charge whatever he wants. Good for him. I wish I was making that kind of money.
Monk-A 11:34 PM - 8 December, 2006
absoloutely spot on post woody....
djzoo 1:50 AM - 9 December, 2006
Once again, sorry for stirring the shit, i forgot you can't ask a simple, honest question about AM on the forum without people getting their panties in a bunch.
djzoo 1:51 AM - 9 December, 2006
i repeat...
Quote:
sorry for jacking... sounds like a nice place. look out for my submission.
Serato, Support
Matt G 3:40 AM - 9 December, 2006
Q Styles, DJJOHNNYM, I ask that you both recall the first rule of this site: Be nice to others. If you have something to say that breaks that rule, then don't say it.
DJ AM 8:13 AM - 9 December, 2006

in all honesty i'm from london and i'd never heard of him, until i hit this site either....

Fair play to the guy he's pretty good at what he does, and dosn't claim to be anything he's not, and from his posts on here he's got a great outlook on what he does and how fortunate he is to be doign hwat he loves, and i think that commands respect.

But i think people need to realise that there's a whole stack of people doing what he does the world over - the Ninjatune guys have been doing this kinda of mash up for years, and 90% of the London DJ scene has been this eclectic & mashup style over the last 10 years, starting out with events like the Heavenly Social where the Chemical Brothers cut their teeth and so on..... People Like Optimo in Glasgow do the same.. it's Not a DJ AM phenominan, he's just a lucky that did the hardwork and is now in a place where he can be brought up to the profile he has and earn the money he is.

WORD UP! 1st off I never said I am breaking down SH*T as far as barriers. Im just DJing like people have for years. I just LOVE to DJ and would do it for money or not. The money is cool but NOT why i do it. I am simply a guy who can't ever be around a 1200 and not touch it. Thats just me. "I'm an addict.. Addicted to music.. maybe its a habit? I gotta use it" I respect ANY Dj who is doing it for the right reason. So many dudes wanna be Djs now cause its "cool" or whatever. I been doin this since 1985 and will NEVER stop cause of money, peoples opinions or a web blog dissing me. I just laugh and go back to the lab.. Like i am about to do now... peace!
Q Styles 9:19 AM - 9 December, 2006
Quote:

Yeah, Grandmaster Flash and those early cats made radical changes to the DJ industry of their time, but Jazzy Jeff and Cash are from MY TIME, and they, in my opinion, made the MOST INCREDIBLE leaps and bounds in the DJ INDUSTRY since Flash. You would have no crabs, flares, and all that other NEWAGE scratching if they didn't bring it to the forefront.

Crabs came from Qbert, Flares came from DJ Flare. Get your facts straight before you talk out of your ass. You obviously dont know your DJ history because you seem to credit every single innovation to Jeff/Cash/Flash. If you are so stuck in the past and think that Flash and Cash Money are still the greatest DJ's then your skills must be wack.

Not to discredit our old skool pioneers but skill-wise they cannot compare to the new skool of DJs who rip shit on a new level.
DJ Stuart (AR) 10:13 AM - 9 December, 2006
Hey AM, if you are not doin it for the money, you can deposit your paycheck in my account.
I need a new mixer.

www.djstuart.com.ar
Monk-A 2:33 PM - 9 December, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

WORD UP! 1st off I never said I am breaking down SH*T as far as barriers. Im just DJing like people have for years. I just LOVE to DJ and would do it for money or not. The money is cool but NOT why i do it. I am simply a guy who can't ever be around a 1200 and not touch it. Thats just me. "I'm an addict.. Addicted to music.. maybe its a habit? I gotta use it" I respect ANY Dj who is doing it for the right reason. So many dudes wanna be Djs now cause its "cool" or whatever. I been doin this since 1985 and will NEVER stop cause of money, peoples opinions or a web blog dissing me. I just laugh and go back to the lab.. Like i am about to do now... peace!

Exactly. props to you man. it's good to see a fellow DJ just keeping on doing his thing, working hard and getting results.

'85 huh? about the same here. it's the sh*t ain't it? :D

peace
djzoo 9:08 PM - 9 December, 2006
yo i love that AM always comes thru to defend himself. And, he doesn't even need to.
DJJOHNNYM 11:19 PM - 9 December, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Crabs came from Qbert, Flares came from DJ Flare. Get your facts straight before you talk out of your ass. You obviously dont know your DJ history because you seem to credit every single innovation to Jeff/Cash/Flash. If you are so stuck in the past and think that Flash and Cash Money are still the greatest DJ's then your skills must be wack.

Not to discredit our old skool pioneers but skill-wise they cannot compare to the new skool of DJs who rip shit on a new level.

Look who's talking out of their azz, ***your breath smells like sh*t***, (hands you a family size carton of tic-tacs****

If you DID your homework son, you'd realize that TRANSFORMING was the first exercise to take a sound and chop it in half, 3/4's whatever...Crabbing and flaring are both children born of transforming....

I've been DJ'ing since 1978, and have watched this thing of rubbing a record back and forth transform from "Noise" to a world renown talent.

Just because I still admire Jazz and Cash doesn't mean I DON'T KNOW that there are DJ's that have better TECHNICAL SKILLS....There's always somebody better at what you do than you.

As for MY SKILLS, no I don't crab or flare as well as the NEW SKOOL kids, but that's only because I've done things like....let's see, get married, have kids, pay a mortgage, you know, live a life....

Now when I was DJ'ing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday every week, you could besta believe I was KILLING every DJ in my path....and IF I kept that up, I'm sure my skills would have had you BEGGING for me to send you an autographed copy envelope filled with the dust I would have scratched offa record for you to snort, just so you can experience the HIGH I produce.
DJJOHNNYM 11:20 PM - 9 December, 2006
Quote:
Q Styles, DJJOHNNYM, I ask that you both recall the first rule of this site: Be nice to others. If you have something to say that breaks that rule, then don't say it.

What's good Matt? No disrespect, but if someone says something out of line to me, I will respond accordingly. If he plays nice, I'll be nicer. No less.
DJJOHNNYM 11:29 PM - 9 December, 2006
And like I said, I appreciate "DJ AM" for what he's doing, and he's definately holding it down, and I never questioned his skills, but don't get mad at me (Q), because I didn't know who the cat was....He doesn't even play the same type of music I do....

Different crowds altogether.
Serato, Support
Matt G 4:20 AM - 10 December, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

What's good Matt? No disrespect, but if someone says something out of line to me, I will respond accordingly. If he plays nice, I'll be nicer. No less.

If you respond accordingly again, I will be forced to ban you. The same goes for Q Styles. This is your one warning.

Be aware that Q Styles has been banned several times in the past for bad behaviour. Don't let him egg you on and in the process take you down with him.
DJJOHNNYM 5:19 AM - 10 December, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you respond accordingly again, I will be forced to ban you. The same goes for Q Styles. This is your one warning.

Be aware that Q Styles has been banned several times in the past for bad behaviour. Don't let him egg you on and in the process take you down with him.

So you're trying to tell me that you don't take into account that somebody is KNOWN for having bad behaviour, and may strike the FIRST BLOW, the person responding may get banned as well?

For example, in this particular instance, as soon as you saw that he said something slick FIRST, and that he's been banned BEFORE, why didn't you just ban that person immediately? Because now I'm on "EQUAL BANNING GROUND", simply because I was defending myself. I'm a Grown Man, and nobody can talk to me any old way, especially since I know that IN PERSON, that type of language would not be used if we were face to face. I've moderated a few forums, and am familiar with flame wars and those who choose to bait or trool. If someone is deemed a troll, they should be delt with accordingly, before they continually draw people into flame wars, just because they can...and can possibly be LET BACK to continue....IN MY OPINION.
Serato, Support
Matt G 9:47 AM - 10 December, 2006
Quote:
So you're trying to tell me that you don't take into account that somebody is KNOWN for having bad behaviour, and may strike the FIRST BLOW, the person responding may get banned as well?

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. You responded in exactly the same low tones, which means you get the same treatment. If you can respond more maturely, then you will be treated differently. But if you act the same as Q Styles, then you will be treated the same.

I'm not going to enter into "But he started it!!" debates. If you act poorly, then you will be treated as your actions deserve.
DJJOHNNYM 1:11 PM - 10 December, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. You responded in exactly the same low tones, which means you get the same treatment. If you can respond more maturely, then you will be treated differently. But if you act the same as Q Styles, then you will be treated the same.

I'm not going to enter into "But he started it!!" debates. If you act poorly, then you will be treated as your actions deserve.

So let me ask you this.... Was "Q"'s initial response to me worth a warning/banning all by itself? Or did my reaction and engagement bring this to the level of which we speak?

I could understand THAT if AS SOON as something "not nice" was said, somebody got a warning, but that doesn't seem to be the case here...

So then let me ask you, as soon as he said, what he said...WHAT was I supposed to say or do? Hit the report button? And would action have been taken?

I'm not trying to dissect anything, because your rules are your rules, but I'm really trying to understand what my options are if someone steps out of line.
Serato, Support
Matt G 2:20 PM - 10 December, 2006
Quote:
So let me ask you this.... Was "Q"'s initial response to me worth a warning/banning all by itself? Or did my reaction and engagement bring this to the level of which we speak?

Q Style's initial poor behaviour was worth a warning, but by the time I arrived you had already replied in similar fashion. So the warning went out to both of you.

Quote:
So then let me ask you, as soon as he said, what he said...WHAT was I supposed to say or do? Hit the report button? And would action have been taken?

Sure, hitting the report button would be a good move. That's what it's there for. If you'd hid the report button, then I'd (or someone else) have been here sooner and would have only given Q Styles grief.
DJJOHNNYM 7:56 PM - 10 December, 2006
Cool, fair enough.

Thanks for answering my questions!
Dj Erick Neutron 8:57 AM - 11 December, 2006
Hey woody just sent you a message. Hope you like
DJ GaFFle 7:39 PM - 11 December, 2006
[putting down my box of popcorn]...soooo DJWoody, how are those demos sounding so far?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:23 PM - 19 December, 2006
yeah, did you get mines yet?
DJ Stuart (AR) 11:34 PM - 19 December, 2006
All threads en up in pure beef and popcorn.

Was up Mike C.!!!?

www.djstuart.com.ar
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:29 AM - 20 December, 2006
tee hee ;)

just make sure no one spills and make a mess of popcorn in tha van... or else i'm gonna turn this puppy around and head back home.... no Disney for you!

wasss good stu :)
DJ Stuart (AR) 12:37 AM - 20 December, 2006
Noooo...i want my "space mountain"!!!!

www.djstuart.com.ar
DjWoody 12:40 AM - 20 December, 2006
Quote:
[putting down my box of popcorn]...soooo DJWoody, how are those demos sounding so far?

There is one that I really liked. I've been getting alot of demos from out of town DJs. I don't think they want to fly in anyone.
Dj_DuMpTy562 10:46 PM - 22 December, 2006
hey woody does this offer still stand?? well i sent a demo anyways... lol
DJPauly 10:00 AM - 23 December, 2006
I'm curious if we get to hear any of these demos... to any of the guys that sent demos, could you post them here? I'd like to hear some of these different styles.
DjWoody 10:13 AM - 23 December, 2006
I heard some of them, but now all. The demos are still on the server and I think anyone can download them and listen to them. When I show up to Spundae tomorrow **ahem*** **** SHAMELESS PLUG **** I will turn in all demos to Arena! Good Luck Guys! There's some really good ones there.
DjWoody 10:14 AM - 23 December, 2006
Oh shit! I just realized I just mentioned the name of the place! SHIT! Hahahaha I wasn't supposed to, I hope I don't get in trouble! Hahaha
Dj Ryme 12:53 AM - 24 December, 2006
damn man, I have been soooo busy with gigs I didnt get a chance to make one..... oh well... im still gonna make a new mix this week since im on vacation so get ready fellas!
sG 3:57 AM - 24 December, 2006
Quote:
damn man, I have been soooo busy with gigs I didnt get a chance to make one..... oh well... im still gonna make a new mix this week since im on vacation so get ready fellas!
Cosign. Prolly won't be as good as DUB's though.