DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

"We Fly High... BROOKYLN! (Jay-Z's Jimmy Jones Diss)...

DJ Limelight 8:36 PM - 16 November, 2006
I'm not a big fan of diss records, BUT y'all gotta listen to Jay-Z's diss of Jimmy Jones over the "We Fly High" beat. Jay rips dude a new one. If he's smart he won't respond. He destroys Jim Jones AND kinda admits that Nas killed him on Ether. Wow.

Jay has a few quotable's in this, my favorties being:

"I'm ballin' for real / you pump fakin' it"

"I will click-clack/ push your wig back further than Trya Banks' hairline."

"You're playin' Pitty Pat with a Chess player"
DJ Limelight 8:37 PM - 16 November, 2006
Umm.. yeah... that link is:

www.zshare.net
tig ol' bitties 9:14 PM - 16 November, 2006
i like "your bank vs mine, if you ballin, ni**A what im doing cant be defined"

thats a hot line.

I dont really think this record is the "diss" worthy tho, nothing like the ja/50 shit.

i really hate that beat as well i have decided
DeezNotes 9:23 PM - 16 November, 2006
Thanks for that link
nik39 9:37 PM - 16 November, 2006
Quote:
AND kinda admits that Nas killed him on Ether.

"jones cant keep up, maybe my man nas, but I got stronger after ether."

Hm, I aint getting it, Jim Jones/Diplomats and Jay-Z werent they on the same label?
djzoo 9:55 PM - 16 November, 2006
Did he also take a run at DAme DAsh- "it's over for you dames" or was he just meaning girls in general.
DJ Limelight 12:28 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:

thats a hot line.

I dont really think this record is the "diss" worthy tho, nothing like the ja/50 shit.

Yeah. That line was sick too. You don't think it's diss worthy?? Damn Tig Ol'. He pretty much went at Jimmy's throat I think.
DJ Limelight 12:36 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
AND kinda admits that Nas killed him on Ether.

"jones cant keep up, maybe my man nas, but I got stronger after ether."

Hm, I aint getting it, Jim Jones/Diplomats and Jay-Z werent they on the same label?

Nik... "Keeping up with the Jones'" is a colloquial saying that people use that kinda means you're trying to keep pace with what other people are doing. Like if my neighbor goes out and buys a BMW, I go out and get a Benz so that I can "keep up with the Jones'" - or not let them one-up me.

In the rhyme, Jay's saying that the Jones' (Jim Jones - specifically) can't keep up with HIM. But then he says, "except for my man Nas" (Nasir Jones)... And then he references that "Ether" hurt him but made him stronger (which is another American colloquial saying).

Yeah the Dipset goons were on Rocafella for a minute, but there was a fallout between Dame Dash and Jay Z when Dame made Cam the president of Rocafella without telling/consulting Jay-Z - which started the demise of their relationship.
el presidente 12:37 AM - 17 November, 2006
its a response to that track that jim jones and dame dash did called kingdom done. dont know if there were any other tracks that preceded these two. i think if this was on the album it would probably be the best track on kingdom come.
DJ Limelight 12:37 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Did he also take a run at DAme DAsh- "it's over for you dames" or was he just meaning girls in general.

I think that was a for sure shot at Dame and all of the ex Rocafella dudes that stuck with Dame and dissed Jay.
nik39 12:40 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Nik... "Keeping up with the Jones'" is a colloquial saying that people use that kinda means you're trying to keep pace with what other people are doing. Like if my neighbor goes out and buys a BMW, I go out and get a Benz so that I can "keep up with the Jones'" - or not let them one-up me.

In the rhyme, Jay's saying that the Jones' (Jim Jones - specifically) can't keep up with HIM. But then he says, "except for my man Nas" (Nasir Jones)... And then he references that "Ether" hurt him but made him stronger (which is another American colloquial saying).

Ehm, I know. Did I make the impression that I didnt understand this? Sorry. ;) Thanks though.

You answered my question in the last part..
Quote:
Yeah the Dipset goons were on Rocafella for a minute, but there was a fallout between Dame Dash and Jay Z when Dame made Cam the president of Rocafella without telling/consulting Jay-Z - which started the demise of their relationship.

Gotcha, thanks!
sG 1:30 AM - 17 November, 2006
Dipset is garbage.
Thundercat 2:04 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Dipset is garbage.

It's as if you read my mind...
DJ Limelight 2:33 AM - 17 November, 2006
Nik39... My bad man. I thought you didn't understand the Jones' part. Wasn't tryna insult your English :-)
DJ d.range 3:00 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Dipset is garbage.

It's as if you read my mind...

**co-sign
DJ d.range 3:34 AM - 17 November, 2006
i just listened to it again,the best thing to me is the fact that he recycles an old school line to get at these fools

"manhattan keeps on makin it brooklyn keep on takin it"
DJ Limelight 8:12 AM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
i just listened to it again,the best thing to me is the fact that he recycles an old school line to get at these fools

"manhattan keeps on makin it brooklyn keep on takin it"

Yeah. That's wassup. I think that people forget that dude doesn't write this stuff down too. That's amazing to me.
tig ol' bitties 2:11 PM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

thats a hot line.

Yeah. That line was sick too. You don't think it's diss worthy?? Damn Tig Ol'. He pretty much went at Jimmy's throat I think.

If i wasnt aware of the beef I wouldnt really think it was diss worthy. slightly but not too bad. Knowing the beef I feel as tho its probably a 7.5/8 on the "diss" scale.

I do concur that dipset is garbage as well. there beats are almost as redundant as dem franchize boyz, which isnt a good thing.
tig ol' bitties 6:03 PM - 17 November, 2006
they got this on digiwaxx now
scotty B 6:12 PM - 17 November, 2006
Dipset is just garbage. I can't believe Jim Jones even thinks he can compete with Jay... Hilarious. How did this beef start anyway?

This is like me stepping to Revolution, or Babu.... I would have a better chance of kickin down a tree with no legs!
nik39 6:54 PM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
I would have a better chance of kickin down a tree with no legs!

Lol.. funny picture :))
sixxx 7:33 PM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
Dipset is just garbage. I can't believe Jim Jones even thinks he can compete with Jay... Hilarious. How did this beef start anyway?

This is like me stepping to Revolution, or Babu.... I would have a better chance of kickin down a tree with no legs!

I don't think for a minute that Jim Jones thought he could compete against Jay. It's the same ol' marketing scheme. The rule is that you go against someone who's way up on the list to get exposure, free press, etc.
sG 10:43 PM - 17 November, 2006
Quote:
I don't think for a minute that Jim Jones thought he could compete against Jay. It's the same ol' marketing scheme. The rule is that you go against someone who's way up on the list to get exposure, free press, etc.

That concept doesn't work for DJs. I'd be a fool to challenge Qbert.

and I'll say it over and over again... Dipset is garbage. I hate how they have some of the hottest beats and turn em into trash. Cam's the worst.
nik39 1:47 AM - 18 November, 2006
Cam's the f*cking a$$hole who hit Canibus with a bottle on his head during his release party.
djskeetz 8:35 PM - 18 November, 2006
anyone check the jim jones reply on digiwaxx? HARRRLEEEMMMMM!!!
Floss B 11:30 PM - 18 November, 2006
Quote:

Yea............Pretty garbage. I read an interview that Jim Jones had about the reply. He was excited making it sound like Jay-Z fell into his trap by responding. He just sounds like an ass cause he puts Jays verse on the song and he's getting ripped again on his own reply. What a jackass. Santana's verse was weaker than Jim's
Kool DJ Sheak One 11:35 PM - 18 November, 2006
Jim Jones is like somebodys old uncle that can't rap.
scotty B 11:41 PM - 18 November, 2006
I saw Jim Jones on TRL. He looks like a 49 yr old man who thinks he is 25. He has no talent...Shit the Dipset has no talent. The Only song I have ever heard from that whole camp is the Kanye song Cam is on "Down and Out". Jim jones on the other hand....is a player, but only becuase he be playin himself.

and now that I think about it this is exactly what mr jones wants ...to be talked about.
DJ Limelight 11:45 PM - 18 November, 2006
Quote:

LOL! I hear you. Jay put it best though - Jim Jones shouldn't even be able to say his name. In his own words: "Jim Jones doesn't even have a classic song - actually, even a classic VERSE anywhere? I have classic ALBUMS. He shouldn't even be able to say my name."

But that's what it's about now. I couldn't imagine Nas coming out in 92 or so and dissing RAKIM or KRS. That it wouldn't have happened. But now, dudes like Jim Jones (and the Dipset goons) don't even respect the culture of hip hop so how can we expect them to respect one of the greatest artists of all time?
scotty B 11:48 PM - 18 November, 2006
^^^^ Word up! Like when Nelly thought he could step to the Blastmaster! i mean WTF did he think he was going to do, take down arguably the best hip hop MC ever?
DJ Limelight 12:06 AM - 19 November, 2006
Quote:
^^^^ Word up! Like when Nelly thought he could step to the Blastmaster! i mean WTF did he think he was going to do, take down arguably the best hip hop MC ever?

Imsayin'tho! Nelly? Come on man, I mean he makes "happy" music and it has it's place but KRS One? Come on man. Dude is unquestionably one of the dopest to ever touch a mic and Nelly's a step away from cat-in-the-hat. No comp.
Ab-Loon 12:49 AM - 19 November, 2006
I never felt Dipset even back in tha day when they called themselves watever tha name of bin laden's terrorist group is (i know what they are called...but i have no idea how to spell it....haha). And i mean i dont like any of them....well....except for one of their newest members...Katt Williams....he's hella funny. But what i disslike mostly bout dipset....is tha beats they use. They usually get decent beats for singles (although i dont like that "baaaallllinn" track...tha beat is catchy). But their other songs....OMFG....it sounds like they shop in top producer's bargan bins. They just sound like crap....like if they were made in 3 minutes with casio keyboard. And they just sound like they are talkin....nooooo lyrical skillz wat so ever.

What i wanna hear from are east coast catts that dont like em....they will make me feel bettter...hahah
scotty B 1:50 AM - 19 November, 2006
They should just stick to the Sherm(Dipset) at forget about Rappin
DJ Limelight 9:22 AM - 19 November, 2006
Quote:
And i mean i dont like any of them....well....except for one of their newest members...Katt Williams....he's hella funny. But what i disslike mostly bout dipset....is tha beats they use. They usually get decent beats for singles (although i dont like that "baaaallllinn" track...tha beat is catchy).

Word Ab-Loon. Katt Williams IS mad funny. Them dudes are such a waste of good beats. If Talib or somebody's who's actually dope had their beats it'd be a wrap.
matt212 10:48 AM - 19 November, 2006
Quote:
What i wanna hear from are east coast catts that dont like em....they will make me feel bettter...hahah

East coast checking in......I can't stand Diplomats as a group. I don't hate when they have a decent song, but how often is that? I still don't like "We Fly High", but I'm forced to play it...and if they make one more remix of that song........
nik39 11:43 AM - 19 November, 2006
Is Jim Jones dissing Jay AND Nas on that response?! Calling them old bitches?!
nik39 12:11 PM - 19 November, 2006
Quote:

You can listen to it on XXL online xxlmag.com <- click.
nik39 12:14 PM - 19 November, 2006
xxlmag.com <- click, thats the article to the sound scan.
shmok1 12:35 PM - 19 November, 2006
what does he say?? tell nas buy you "WHAT???" for christmas..?
Ab-Loon 10:37 PM - 19 November, 2006
Aight...i just listened to tha jim jones response on digiwaxx...he makes me laugh...its like he thinks he's on tha same level as jay z...i would be totally honest if he had any good blows or at least a good sentance in there...but nope...nada. then juelez santana comes out sayin everything of jay's is rented....c'mon now....jay is worth 10x more than santana...cracks me up.

Now keep in mind...i'm not a big fan of jay z...specialy when he got control of def jam...i dont think he's makin right decisions with tha company. I know the roots is really mad at him...and b4 i start taken side (i would listen to the roots "Game Theory" over Jay-Z "kingdom Come anyday of tha week), im gonna read more up on it. But just like this beef....heard heard what Jay-Z had to say...i knew it was only a matter of time b4 jim jones came out with one...and just like i thought...he had nothin...just tha same "old" jokes....and he didnt even say those good...oh well...hahha
nik39 10:51 PM - 19 November, 2006
Whats the deal with the roots and jay-z?
DJ Dynamight 11:19 PM - 19 November, 2006
JJ's response is so fuckin weak. his album sold like 3 copies too. he sure aint ballin' from record sales...
DJ Limelight 12:34 AM - 20 November, 2006
Yeah I think he's dissin' Nas and Jay by the "tell Nas to buy you a kufi for Christmas so I can smack it off you" comment.

Why would Juelz diss his boss?? What a dummy. Jimmy, Juelz and Cam are jokes. They embarrass hip hop and New York. I'd rather listen to Jeezy, Lil Wayne or TI any day.
JustForKicks 2:29 AM - 20 November, 2006
even though they shouldn't waste their breath.. cant wait for the jay-z & nas collabo comeback... cant stand this new lame gen of kids lovin this dipshit bs.. i dont give em too much spins.. unfortunately we fly high has a hot beat.... prediction.. nas and jay-z gonna rip sum new assh***s... and for any of you market research cats reading these forums... trying to see whats hype and not.. dipset needs to stop embarrassing the face of hip hop... keep sellin crack to kids... shits ironic aint it?
Ab-Loon 2:46 AM - 20 November, 2006
well dont qoute me on this cause i dont remember if i read it from tha rumor mill or a legit artical.....but i heard that Black Thought from the roots was sayin some shit like "I think a prez of a big record company like Def Jam should concentrate on promoting acts on the label rather than planning a return...you got other responsabilities". Now once again dont qoute me on that cause i dont remember where i heard it....but it does make sense....if u read this months issue of XXL....tha interview with jay z....tha reporter does hit hard bout how come catts from that label having issues, like LL Cool J and method man, and how their were rumors that jay z was holding nas' album. he answered those questions like i thought he would..."I'm making these decisions from tha heart....as long as i know that its tha right thing....so be it". and he said that he's not holding nas' album back...its not done yet.....i believe him on that one....cause i believe nas knows he needs to bring out serious heat on this one.....specially when ur album is called "hip hop is dead". i've heard 2 tracks for tha album so far...they are good...not great. Lets are pray that hip hop ISN'T dead...
DJ FLATLINE 10:57 AM - 20 November, 2006
I don't get it. If they had that big of a problem with Jay-Z becoming President of Def Jam, why didn't they put in a resume??? Shouldn't the problem be with Russell Simmons instead???

How does Jay-Z control anything artist like LL and Method Man put out. That seems like an early cop-out just incase their albums flop.

As for Jim Jones, does he know what he got himself into??? One thing for certain and we all know this as absolute truth:

1. don't call Jay-Z's name unless your looking to have your career ended.

2. DON'T BRING NAS'S NAME INTO YOUR BEEF UNLESS YOUR LOOKING TO END YOUR CAREER AND YOUR RECORD LABELS CAREER!!!!! (where is Dame Dash, Bleek, Beanie Sigel, Peedi Crakk, Freeway). It's like they fell off the face of the earth.....and I'm a Roc-A-Fella fanboy...or was i should say!!!!

This time, I hope Jay-Z and Nas do a callabo dis track that exposes the DIP-SET or should I say DIP-SHIT records...

****doesn't "we fly high" remind you of what "in da club" was: a beat with a catchy hook. Anybody could have had those beats and made a fortune off of it....

I look at this as a joke mainly because it too convenient for both Jay-Z and Jim Jones and now even Nas, saying how all 3 have albums either already released or awaiting release....INTEGRITY is the real question here!!!!
tig ol' bitties 2:17 PM - 20 November, 2006
jim jones dissing on Jay-z is not going to do ANYTHING for his album sales.
Jim Jones is a nobody and virtually unknown until this shitty and i emphasize shitty we fly high song came out.

I dont know where they get off comparing themselves to jay talent and money style. jay-z could easily pee all over there heads with one of his 50 bank accounts.

Dipset blows. Jim Jones is a bottom and juelz is the one stickin it to him. they suck and i hope their careers come to a screaching hault and they become crack head bums living on the streets in HARRRRLEM.,,idiots.
DJBlisk 9:46 PM - 20 November, 2006
dipset is huge in New York. the guy blows but that "We Ballin" song is crack! Juelz santana's album was solid for me, clockwork was dope. Jay Z's album right now... hasn't really grown on me... but I'm hoping it will. As for the beef, I think its funny, none of those dipset guys can hold a candle to jay's rhymes but its funny to see them try. Nas killed him on "ether" and showed him what a real emcee sounds like. The only reason he is king of new york is becuase 1. biggee's dead 2. nas can't make a fun rap song that doesn't sound mad corny and 3. there is nobody else out there that has his charisma.

If only "little brother" rapped over mainstream beats.....
dj nick dean 12:32 AM - 21 November, 2006
Quote:

yeah.....well to a certain extent he does, doesnt kanye produce some of his stuff?
DJ Limelight 1:05 AM - 21 November, 2006
Quote:
dipset needs to stop embarrassing the face of hip hop... keep sellin crack to kids... shits ironic aint it?

You're exactly right JustForKicks. Straight embarrassing. They were whatever when they were just corny and not dissing people with 10 + years of work put into hip hop culture. But now... it's a total wrap. First Cam'ron's dumb "Gotta Love It" song or whatever it was called, now this Jimmy Jones crap.
DJBlisk 1:17 AM - 21 November, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

yeah.....well to a certain extent he does, doesnt kanye produce some of his stuff?

Little Brother is a group and I though 9th wonder does all the beats.
dj nick dean 2:52 AM - 21 November, 2006
yeah ur right, I was thinking of that song "I see now" wit kanye and consequence.....sometimes when I hear kanye rap on a track I automatically think he produced it....but no that was 9th wonder. Sick ass track though regardless.
JustForKicks 4:15 AM - 21 November, 2006
what if this was all a mass marketing plan? haha, i know i know, im on sum conspiracy theory high off my ass deep shi*..

i mean, the major players, and the industry heads have to know that dipset is garbage, the high school kids and down are def into them... and how could u blame em.. they didnt grow up with that pre 96 stuff we had....so they dont know any better...

but they are the ones willing to drop a pretty penny on whatevers "hot".... F the content.. i wanna grind on a hoe, and be "baaaalllin" steez...

so what if the guys behind the marketing assume that hey.. dipset can get only so far, and we know this.... so why not just go at jay..expose urself as much as u can

this way dipset is almost heroic to the youngins.. and generates more capita in that group..

in turn.. jay gets to blaze back, and all us hip hop heads def side with him and admire the content and flow... how can he not be the winner..???

and like magic, after the diss, the reply, and diss 2... kingdom comes, in stores tomorrow.. with the nas and jay reply possibly in the works... and nas' album on the way....while jones, though weak in sales, possibly generated a better percentage than was expected anyways...

hmm.. just a thought..

sorry if i didnt explain myself fully.. no disrespect to any of the respective fans... peace!
Ab-Loon 5:50 AM - 21 November, 2006
well 9th wonder doesnt produce EVERY LB track....most of them tho. they have guest producers like Dilla and other peepz. and technicaly....LB have spit over over "mainstream" beats. on tha seperate but equal mixtape...both phonte and big pooh did solo tracks. Phonte used a kanye beat and Rappa used a neptunes beat. And i member when i saw them at tha house of blues in hollywood....did they this dope routine using busta's "touch it" beat...its was def a good show.

but yeah if u dont have that "seperate but equal" mixtape....U GOTTA COMP THAT ASAP!!!!
dj nick dean 5:58 AM - 21 November, 2006
nah I actually don't have that mixtape but I will look out for it. I'm sure I can find it somewhere.
shmok1 7:31 AM - 21 November, 2006
Quote:

this is the exact reason why they are one of my favourite groups - they stick to what they're doing and ain't changing shit because of record sales.
sweetL 2:01 PM - 21 November, 2006
regarding the jay-z / dipset thing... i dont know it kinda feels a lot to me like its being stirred by dame.

i feel like 'kingdom done' was a bit of a poke too far for jay, and he had to reply. i dont feel like brooklyn high was full force from jay... it felt more like a warning shot to me. "let the games begin" seems like hes just confidently warming up to see what they got.

we know what hes capable of, but in all seriousness, dipset curry big favour, wether you like em or not. he replied to jim jones direct, (and dame) - juelz got involved, jr writer has a diss reply out - dipset are going all guns because of jim jones beef.

i dont think jayz should have replied, he ignored cam the whole time, as cam made a load of noise, jay looked like he just didnt care. i suppose dipset getting rep in his home town is a bit too much for him... anyway... because dipset are going all guns for one mans beef - IF jay comes out on top, he wont have just boyed up jim jones, but the whole dipset crew. the rumour machine on allhiphop suggests that jay has finished, or is working on an all out attack on dipset.

id suggest that juelz is more of a threat than any others, and that part of this might be down to any rumour milling that dame might be able to do, siding with all his little harlem buddies.

Quote:
Quote:

Little Brother is a group and I though 9th wonder does all the beats.
indeed little brothers beats are predominantly 9th wonder beats, being that 9th wonder is a member of little brother, but they do get guests in like nicolay, symbolic + illmind, hall of justus guys mainly, but doesnt big dho produce from time to time? and i was sure that kev brown had helped out on at least one track - then again, it might be little bro featured on a kev brown track...
andrew b 2:35 AM - 22 November, 2006
i like dipset, they are pretty popular so they must be doing something right. i think jay has way too much power in the game. he a legend fo sho, but dip set is doing there thing. did you see how much people were feelin them on bet awards... BALLINNNNN!
DJBlisk 3:27 AM - 22 November, 2006
Phonte! Foreign Exchange!
scotty B 4:16 PM - 22 November, 2006
Dipset is wack.period.
puertorok 3:57 PM - 27 November, 2006
Quote:
and i was sure that kev brown had helped out on at least one track - then again, it might be little bro featured on a kev brown track...

yeah, I think you're right that it's a Kev Brown beat feat. Phonte and Grap Luva

"Can't Stay Away"

Oh yeah, and dipset is the worst...see Jay go at them live

music.aol.com

click on "Brooklyn's Finest" (i know that's not what it's called but that's what it's labeled as)

uno.