Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Best Computers Fro Video SL

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
RustyThorp 9:43 PM - 8 January, 2010
Product: video-sl
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista
---

What would some of you recommend as far as laptops to use with Video Sl? The Laptop I have now isn't working at all.

I am going to upgrade my laptop and I was looking for some suggestions in both PC and Mac.

Has anybody had success with the black Macbook?

VJ Justin Allen 10:13 PM - 8 January, 2010
That video card will struggle with VSL. I recommend the 2.8 15" MBP.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:25 AM - 9 January, 2010
Without a doubt, 100% MAC. You want to be above the minimum specs and Apple makes many 2.4ghz dual core processors with 4Gb ram. That is the ideal computer for Video Sl.
DJ Mups 8:28 PM - 9 January, 2010
Quote:
That video card will struggle with VSL. I recommend the 2.8 15" MBP.

I just picked up the 2.8Ghz 15" less than a month ago for Video SL. Works perfect straight out of the box...
Ingo B 10:45 PM - 14 January, 2010
I'm using a 2.2Ghz, 4Gb RAM Macbook Pro from 2007. Works beautifully.

If you can afford it, use a dedicated laptop for Serato, and do all your Internet/word processing/music editing on a second machine. Will save you from future headaches.
tendai 5:45 PM - 15 January, 2010
I use a vista mashine-->dell
I purchased and tested video sl for about four weeks and all I can say is "hell no". My specs were higher than most macbooks' : 4GB RAM, 2*2,6 Duo Core, etc...
I had so many dropouts, no matter how high or low the usb buffer... Most of all, those dropouts took like 4 seconds or longer. I even had those dropouts while working with audio only. In addition, scratchlive crashed on a regular basis. those crashes were so bad that one had to reboot the computer in order to get anything running again. It only ended when I deinstalled the video sl add on. All I can say is as far as vista is concerned, the video sl plug in is not ready vor pcs. I hope tho that scratchlive will do something about this.
DjMadara 6:05 AM - 21 January, 2010
Quote:
Without a doubt, 100% MAC. You want to be above the minimum specs and Apple makes many 2.4ghz dual core processors with 4Gb ram. That is the ideal computer for Video Sl.

I have the new 2,8 one with 4DDR3 Go of ram snow leopard etc...

but when i play video, regardless of the different options, the sound wave becomes jerky...:

better in "medium output" but worse in "best"

I precise that my vids are encoded following the recommended presets...
DjMadara 6:10 AM - 21 January, 2010
Ps: this occurs when I play on monitor (in full screen mode)
j cue 4:36 PM - 21 January, 2010
Quote:

not neccesarily... im using a hp probook pc (xp pro)for vsl and its solid as a rock! 2.2 intel centrino cpu, 4gb ram (alltough im told xp only sees 3gb ram) 320 gb hd
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:32 PM - 21 January, 2010
Quote:

better in "medium output" but worse in "best"

I precise that my vids are encoded following the recommended presets...

you'll want to keep it at medium. Also move the buffer to around 1GB
1:20 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.