Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Please help me with my Scratch Live set up!

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
depakote 2:37 AM - 13 July, 2004
I just purchased a Tascam US-428 USB DAW Controller and will soon own Scratch Live and was wondering if anyone could help me with my set up with Ableton Live and an Edirol PCR Midi Keyboard on a Powermac G5 computer. Will I need to run the line out from my dj mixer to the line inputs on the controller or can I just interface through the USB from SL? Do I need to run the in/out midi cables to the controller or can I interface through the USB on the keyboard? I am using powered speakers from the interface so is there any reason to use the digital in/out on the controller to the computer? I figure I can just go though the USB and interface that way, using the controller to control parameters in Live. Am I correct or do I need to make these or any other connections? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul
Serato
Josh 3:00 AM - 13 July, 2004
Quote:
I figure I can just go though the USB and interface that way, using the controller to control parameters in Live

Which live do you mean? Ableton? I'm confused as to what exactly you're trying to achieve here...
depakote 6:52 AM - 13 July, 2004
Josh,

Thanks for the reply. I'm talking about Ableton, sorry about the confusion. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to run everything into my DAW Controller via the inputs then into the computer or if the devices will just run through the USB. Either way I want to use my DAW controller to control Ableton. I was also wondering about the uses of the digital in/outs on the DAW controller and computer in this set up. Thanks again!

Paul
nik39 11:42 AM - 13 July, 2004
Hm, I dont understand... whats the connection with SSL here? I mean what has SSL to do with the other stuff?
depakote 1:40 PM - 13 July, 2004
I'm sorry if my question isn't just about SSL. Let me ask just one question that has a little more focus on it. When using a USB DAW Controller with SSL and a software sequencer do I need to run the line out from my dj mixer to the DAW controller or can I just interface from the USB on SSL? If I can do it either way, which do you think is better? Maybe even a better general SSL question: to get audio out to your speakers with SSL do you guys run the line out from your dj mixer or from your computer. Thanks once again!

Pablo
nik39 2:03 PM - 13 July, 2004
Check

www.serato.com

or

www.rane.com

Line from mixer out is used.
depakote 7:44 PM - 13 July, 2004
Thanks for the info!