Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Is my laptop fine?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
gotskillz 5:12 AM - 12 July, 2004
Okay guys i just got a laptop.
Let me know what you think of this? and will this work fine with Serato Scratch Live? Because i am ready to but it

this computer will be for scratch live only!

Dell Latitude CPX
Hard Drive Capacity: 6 GB
Chip Type: Intel Pentium III
Screen Size: 14 inches
Operating System Included: --
Processor Speed: 500 MHz Primary Drive: CD-ROM
Memory (RAM): 256 MB
O.S - Windows Xp home
Serato
Josh 5:18 AM - 12 July, 2004
Hi gotskillz,

That laptop is under the minimum spec for ScratchLIVE, I wouldn't recommend you use it for SSL since the CPU will no doubt have trouble keeping up with some of the tasks that SSL will throw at it. Also we are unable to provide support for users running machines under the minimum spec.
gotskillz 5:21 AM - 12 July, 2004
Crap! i just bought that too. it sounds like i am screwed then!

I wonder if i can put a new processor in laptop.

700 mhz or more right? that is the only thing that it making it under minimum requrement right?
Serato
Josh 5:32 AM - 12 July, 2004
The clock speed is important, but with PCs everything affects the performance, the FSB speed, the on chip cache, the hard drive speed, RAM speed.... The list goes on and on...
gotskillz 5:36 AM - 12 July, 2004
alright one more question. Here are my specs again

Dell Latitude CPX
Hard Drive Capacity: 6 GB
Chip Type: Intel Pentium III
Screen Size: 14 inches
Operating System Included: --
Processor Speed: 500 MHz Primary Drive: CD-ROM
Memory (RAM): 256 MB
O.S - Windows Xp home

from what i can see everything is good expect the processor speed. now i am not asking you if i should do it, because i am gonna put a new processor in anyways. and dont worry i wouldn't hold you to anything. but does everything but the processor speed look allright to you as far as requirements go?

thanks, i will leave you alone after this.
Serato
Josh 5:45 AM - 12 July, 2004
Well if you're determined to try it (i don't actually think it's possible?) I'd say that 6gb of storage would be insufficient for a normal sized mp3 library on top of a standard windows XP install. So I would considered getting some more storage...
gotskillz 5:54 AM - 12 July, 2004
Yeah, i might totally upgrade this computer. i am undecided yet.

but i do have a 40gb external hand held hard drive that my mp3's will be on. i wont be storing any mp3's on the laptop's hard drive. Well thanks i hope to be up and running with scratch live within the next 6 mos. but that of course is after i update my computer. Thanks again!
nik39 9:49 AM - 12 July, 2004
I think your older Laptop will certainly have support USB 1.1 only, unless you expand it with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA/CardBus Card. If you have USB 1.1 then forget about using the external drive! FS worked fine with my external USB 1.1 drive, but SSL has problems with it, which should not appear with USB 2.0.
saint 7:09 PM - 12 July, 2004
Is the laptop a Dell CPxJ or CPxH? The CPxH is only upgradeable to 500 MHz and the CPxJ is only upgradeable 850 MHz. Their are better Dells for upgrading and this series is not the best for expandability. I have a Dell C640 which is a great laptop and very expandable. I actually built it from parts I acquired on Ebay, matter of fact that is how I get all my laptops.

Cheers,

:: chuck hasek
:: dj saint
:: www.mercury26.com
:: denver / boulder co