Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Everyone Jump On-Board The Serato Soundcard Unlock Train!

KC1 5:02 PM - 19 July, 2021
That's right, everyone, jump on-board and post in this thread to show your love and tell Serato to get their act together. It's 2021 and Serato are still the last out of all the major DJ software choices to continue blocking the use of soundcards.

Rekordbox, Virtual DJ, Traktor and Mixxx all let you use any soundcard you wish for both playback and DVS, be it free, a paid licence or via hardware unlock.

So why is it that Serato are still once again lagging behind all the competition ..

There really is no sense nor logical business model in continuing to not allow this ..

A response from @Serato would be great, and comments from the members here are welcome!

GO . . .!
Caley Martin 7:49 PM - 19 July, 2021
Fully support this move to unlock!
HellNegative1 12:58 AM - 20 July, 2021
I for one would pay more for Serato to be able to use it with any audio interface. :-)
DJ Tecniq 1:52 AM - 20 July, 2021
Don’t see this happening as it’s how Serato make their money. Can’t just buy a cheap audio interface and expect it to work with Serato. They are a software company they don’t build the hardware they partner with dj companies and work out a deal.
HellNegative1 2:38 AM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Don’t see this happening as it’s how Serato make their money. Can’t just buy a cheap audio interface and expect it to work with Serato. They are a software company they don’t build the hardware they partner with dj companies and work out a deal.

As mentioned previously, they could just charge that licensing fee to the end user instead of the hardware manufacturer. ;-)
soul-doubt12 4:50 AM - 20 July, 2021
+1 to that and what about Serato listening to their customers about new features and add ons to the software? It’s always when a new device needs compatibility is when they release an upgrade, what the hell? We spend all this money and what do we get in return? What the hell is their R&D group doing?? I started to dive into a RB and I’m feeling more comfortable with that platform as it has all the features I’ve been asking serato to develop. I think it’s coming to an end where they over marginalized the consumer and don’t give a shit about the users needs
KC1 12:49 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:

Serato is the King of cheap plastic entry level 2 channel "Fisher-Price" controllers. Who really cares what Audio Interface is being used if the end user has purchased a licence or specific hardware to unlock it.

Serato still make money - in fact, I guarantee they would make more money ..
pdidy 6:23 PM - 20 July, 2021
A lil clarity, you guys want to use serato controller with any dj software?
HellNegative1 6:28 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
A lil clarity, you guys want to use serato controller with any dj software?

No, Serato Software with any soundcard/interface
electro77 6:41 PM - 20 July, 2021
Rekordbox and Traktor use software unlock but hardware unlock for Serato DJ Pro and DVS is preferred.

What Serato should do instead is unlock Flip for all and probably turn Scratch Bank into the replacement expansion. Flip being about edits should be a standard feature of DJ Pro and DJ Lite.
KC1 7:08 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Rekordbox and Traktor use software unlock but hardware unlock for Serato DJ Pro and DVS is preferred.

I use a Allen & Heath Xone 96 Mixer with RekordBox 6 via Hardware unlock from a Pioneer DDJ XP2 which allows me DVS.
DJ Tecniq 7:08 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Serato is the King of cheap plastic entry level 2 channel "Fisher-Price" controllers
That’s quite a stretch as Serato does not build the hardware at all the same can be said for Rekordbox. Pioneer, Numark, Hercules i could go on and on.
KC1 7:15 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Serato is the King of cheap plastic entry level 2 channel "Fisher-Price" controllers
That’s quite a stretch as Serato does not build the hardware at all the same can be said for Rekordbox. Pioneer, Numark, Hercules i could go on and on.

Not really, as all those sub-par ones from Hercules and Numark etc are made for Serato/Lite

Look at the cheapest and most basic "Fisher-Price" controllers on the market for DJ software, and the vast majority will be bundled with Serato/Lite.

Which is why I found your Audio Interface comment/excuse laughable.
KC1 7:21 PM - 20 July, 2021
Mr (A) cannot turn up to the Club/Event with Turntables & a Xone 96 and use Serato.

But

Mr (B) can turn up to the Club/Event with a Numark PartyMix and use Serato.

Because peeps like @DJ Tecniq are concerned about the standard of equipment being used with Serato.

#JustSayin
HellNegative1 7:53 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Mr (A) cannot turn up to the Club/Event with Turntables & a Xone 96 and use Serato.

But

Because peeps like @DJ Tecniq are concerned about the standard of equipment being used with Serato.

#JustSayin

This made me fall out of my chair laughing.
Frozone 8:44 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Quote:

But

#JustSayin

Is the xone 96 supported in record box? Couldn't find support for it at Virtual DJ.. JS I didn't bother looking further, i'm sure you could midi map it.

This made me fall out of my chair laughing.
KC1 9:02 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:

Is the xone 96 supported in record box?

Officially, No. Unofficially Yes, via hardware unlock using a DDJ XP1 or XP2 Effects Pad.
HellNegative1 9:07 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Is the xone 96 supported in record box?

Officially, No. Unofficially Yes, via hardware unlock using a DDJ XP1 or XP2 Effects Pad.

You can use the 96 in Rekordbox with a paid subscription as well. ;-)
KC1 9:17 PM - 20 July, 2021
^^ Take note @Serato how the game is moving, and you're out-dated business model is still static!

.. I forgot about that option, as I'm still one of those old stubborn DJ's who refuses to sub to anything music related, lol >:
HellNegative1 9:26 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
^^ Take note @Serato how the game is moving, and you're out-dated business model is still static!

.. I forgot about that option, as I'm still one of those old stubborn DJ's who refuses to sub to anything music related, lol >:

I feel you. I still have my Rekordbox 5 license from before they turned it into a subscription too.
KC1 9:48 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
Quote:

I feel you. I still have my Rekordbox 5 license from before they turned it into a subscription too.

Haha I think I've got about 5 of them and 3 DVS licences and 2 video.
Hanginon 10:44 PM - 20 July, 2021
The bean counters at Serato are probably afraid this will eliminate the double whammy -

serato.com
KC1 11:08 PM - 20 July, 2021
Quote:
The bean counters at Serato are probably afraid this will eliminate the double whammy -

serato.com

It's a good point, but the reality is all they have to do is continue the "double whammy" and allow other devices with the paid upgrade.

- The greed can become even more greedy ..
Despo 11:29 AM - 23 July, 2021
+1 just let us use any hardware. Like people say, why can't I use the USB port of a djm750 but a numark party Mix unlocks SDJ. Like what???

Not being able to do midi mapping without hardware attached is really frustrating in 2021
nilre 12:04 PM - 23 July, 2021
Agreed +1

Another aspect of this, is that if you already own the club kit it feels wrong to have to pay extra for a controller that unlocks SDJ Pro. For instance, the DDJ-1000 SRT costs 200 EUR more than the DDJ-1000 for Rekordbox. I am pretty sure that the hardware bill of materials is the same.
popnwave 11:22 PM - 24 July, 2021
Quote:
Agreed +1

Another aspect of this, is that if you already own the club kit it feels wrong to have to pay extra for a controller that unlocks SDJ Pro. For instance, the DDJ-1000 SRT costs 200 EUR more than the DDJ-1000 for Rekordbox. I am pretty sure that the hardware bill of materials is the same.

Bad way to think about it, there's a lot of negotiations that go on and of course PIO isn't going to charge the same for their own hardware/software combo.
nilre 8:22 AM - 25 July, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed +1

Bad way to think about it, there's a lot of negotiations that go on and of course PIO isn't going to charge the same for their own hardware/software combo.

The bad thing is, that if I own the club kit and also want to own 3 different controllers/mixers for, let's say, home+studio+mobile setups, I get to pay for 4 Serato licenses in total.

In the DDJ-1000 example the cost of the builtin license is 200 EUR, and if the price is similar for other controllers, that's a lot of extra dough for Serato "tax".
Bigheaded1 10:58 AM - 25 July, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed +1

The bad thing is, that if I own the club kit and also want to own 3 different controllers/mixers for, let's say, home+studio+mobile setups, I get to pay for 4 Serato licenses in total.

In the DDJ-1000 example the cost of the builtin license is 200 EUR, and if the price is similar for other controllers, that's a lot of extra dough for Serato "tax".

I paid $449 for my Numark Scratch, which comes with Serato Pro & DVS. I suppose there had to have been a Serato tax, but it sure wasn't much. You can blame Pioneer for the SRT being $200 more than the 1000. The fact Numark gave me a full pro license and the DVS addon for $449 tells me Pioneer just wants to rip people off. Hell I paid $299 for my Roland DJ-202 and it came with Serato Pro. I don't know how much less a controller would be even without software. Are there even any software-less controllers out there? If you buy Pioneer you're paying to get Rekordbox, and if you want the full version, it's monthly regardless of the controller right? If you buy a controller from NI you're paying for Trakkor. What controller can you buy for any other software that doesn't have a license for some dj software? There's your [insert company] tax right there.
mixgoonie 1:29 PM - 26 July, 2021
The point is here is to be able to use a cheap controller with a GOOD soundcard.

Recently tested the Inpulse 500, honestly, a good controller but such low volume and lack of punch. I don't think the other small controllers are so different in terms of sound quality.

I do agree on the idea to have a paid plugin for this and being able to use my Audio DJ2 or 4 could be wonderful. If anyone has a SL box, they could also use it with their small controller.

Putting a bad soundcard into a mixer isn't exactly improving the sound and try today to found a small controller with a good soundcard, there isn't except the Primo which company stopped to work, the DDJ SR has already a bad reputation on this subject.
popnwave 8:32 PM - 26 July, 2021
While I have nothing against the concept, can you imagine the shit storm of people who can't figure out how to use 3rd party EQ?

Sure, if the folks doing it are hardened veteran users, but you know that is NOT the norm. Serato probably doesn't want to deal with that nonsense and I don't blame them.

Maybe if there was a clear policy that if it wasn't Serato endorsed it may work, but you're stuck with crowd sourced/forum support from other users.
KC1 12:48 AM - 27 July, 2021
Just take the Pioneer/Rekordbox approach and only (un)officially support the concept and only provide support for officially licensed hardware.

There really is NO excuses to carry on the way serato is - It's outdated and pointless.
Soundboyrich 3:40 AM - 18 February, 2022
Wait, are you saying - Serato DVS can only work with a Serato hardware DJ mixer? I can't use my studio grade ASIO driver soundcard with Serato DVS.

I know why I never went the Serato avenue, I always wanted control over my software and specially hardware. The SL4 was marketed as HiFi quality when it arrived, I never bought that.

How is Serato preventing use of AD-DA converter soundcards, the cards a just hardware that provide the 1kHz timecode (analog) that software reads for speed etc.
nilre 8:54 AM - 18 February, 2022
Quote:
How is Serato preventing use of AD-DA converter soundcards, the cards a just hardware that provide the 1kHz timecode (analog) that software reads for speed etc.

The software (probably) looks at the sound card’s USB vendor/product IDs, and only accepts certified devices. Maybe they also have a key in the device that can be read through USB, to prevent hacks.
HellNegative1 1:13 PM - 18 February, 2022
If someone were to write a piece of software which can make any audio interface look like a Serato dvs unlock device, how much would you pay for it?
Wyley 4:03 PM - 18 February, 2022
Jumping ship will probably give better results than jumping on the train. lol

The best thing to do would be to petition for and wait for a new box. Just sayin.
YZ 12:38 AM - 22 February, 2022
Serato doesn't care what you guys think here. Jump ship, go ahead... because their user base is still much larger than their competitors. Fax, petitions are so 2010 and you're wasting your time. Get on board with what they support or find a nice place in the woods to get lost.
Ragman 3:44 AM - 22 February, 2022
All depends on how many voice they're concern.
Wyley 1:51 PM - 22 February, 2022
Serato built their business on the rane boxes and if I remember correctly the sales pitch was 'Free updates for life'. I wonder what happened to that.
HellNegative1 2:18 PM - 22 February, 2022
Quote:
Serato built their business on the rane boxes and if I remember correctly the sales pitch was 'Free updates for life'. I wonder what happened to that.

The or sheets for the SL boxes never mentioned free updates for life. The only mentions of free were the upgrade from scratch live to Serato DJ and that Serato DJ/scratch live is available as a free download.

You are thinking of the or sheets from NI for the Audio 4/6/8/10, which NI went back on with the release of Traktor Pro 3.
Wyley 7:26 PM - 22 February, 2022
Quote:
Quote:

The or sheets for the SL boxes never mentioned free updates for life. The only mentions of free were the upgrade from scratch live to Serato DJ and that Serato DJ/scratch live is available as a free download.

You are thinking of the or sheets from NI for the Audio 4/6/8/10, which NI went back on with the release of Traktor Pro 3.

I'm pretty sure this was from Serato 15 years ago. I'm not going to go look for it though.

NI discontinued the 4/8 a long time ago but they still work on traktor pro 3 depending on the computer and Os. The audio 10 is still currently supported even though it is not manufactured anymore and the audio 6 is still in production. I have the audio 8 and I actually still use a 15 year old certified mixer with the current version of Traktor.

I've been eying the ttm57 mk2 for use with Traktor.
Ragman 7:36 PM - 22 February, 2022
Quote:

I've been with Serato from the beginning and I don't recall that slogan.
Wyley 7:40 PM - 22 February, 2022
Quote:
Quote:

I've been with Serato from the beginning and I don't recall that slogan.

I could be wrong. Maybe mixed up Serato with Vdj.

Or maybe the Mandella Effect. lol
Bornd Fono 8:03 PM - 22 February, 2022
Quote:

Community raising it's voice for years and years now.
Serato doesn't give a shit.
Distinctly Identical 9:43 AM - 18 August, 2022
I can't believe this is still a thing. When I saw Serato offers subscriptions, I thought I could just sub and give Serato DVS a try. But no, there's a sub on top of having to own one of the "blessed" devices.

Are they mad? They don't make the hardware, so what's their big brain plan? Pioneer has Rekordbox, which works on everything and comes with all the Serato unlock mixers, and the only other manufacturer, inMusic is also stepping into the game now.

Guess I'll never get to try Serato.

Good luck.
Caley Martin 3:26 PM - 18 August, 2022
Sad state of affairs.

The paid hardware unlock would help to resolve many users’ gripes about SL soundcard support being removed from current versions of the software as well.
cotdagoo 3:42 PM - 18 August, 2022
Quote:

Are they mad? They don't make the hardware, so what's their big brain plan?

Feels like the big plan is to ignore the user base, hope they stop making noise and likely focus on Serato Studio - giving basic feature updates to Serato DJ like controller support, while ignoring the 10+ years of basic/rudimentary useful features that have been requested.

Yes they are mad.. what a missed opportunity to give a crap about your users.
Distinctly Identical 5:17 PM - 18 August, 2022
I still don't quite understand what the subscription is for. The hardware that's required for it to work... also unlocks the license. What am I missing? <maths lady.gif> :)
popnwave 10:27 PM - 19 August, 2022
time to start a change.org petition - or maybe a gofundme
deejdave 1:38 AM - 20 August, 2022
Quote:
I still don't quite understand what the subscription is for. The hardware that's required for it to work... also unlocks the license. What am I missing? <maths lady.gif> :)

You are missing the fact that it doesn't apply to hardware unlocks as stated on the pricing page itself www.dropbox.com
deejdave 1:39 AM - 20 August, 2022
Not all "supported" hardware unlocks the software.
Distinctly Identical 10:30 PM - 20 August, 2022
All the current Rane and Pioneer S mixers say they unlock DJ Pro and DVS.

Rekordbox business model is way simpler. It works with any hardware. You either have a "unlock device" or pay a sub.

Serato model makes no sense to me. But that's fine, I quite like Rekordbox now.
Hanginon 1:26 PM - 26 August, 2022
Quote:
Quote:

Community raising it's voice for years and years now.
Serato doesn't give a shit.

You people are being too harsh on Serato - look how quickly they responded to this DJ who's concerned how poorly the program works AFTER he has closed and reopened his laptops cover!
serato.com
Caley Martin 4:29 PM - 26 August, 2022
At this point, I suspect any threads involving the topics of SL soundcards and unlocking third party mixers are verboten to Serato employees from commenting on. 🤐
metroplex2005 10:14 PM - 26 August, 2022
Jehova...
metroplex2005 10:15 PM - 26 August, 2022
Caley Martin 10:17 PM - 26 August, 2022
😂😂😂
Distinctly Identical 9:41 AM - 28 August, 2022
Chuga chuga chuga chuga
chooo chooooooo

I'm on a traiiiiin.
HellNegative1 2:58 AM - 29 August, 2022
Quote:
Chuga chuga chuga chuga
chooo chooooooo

I'm on a traiiiiin.

To funky town?
Distinctly Identical 10:36 AM - 29 August, 2022
More like La La Land tbh :)
DJ STU-C 2:18 PM - 1 September, 2022
The Marrakech express
nishantjcm307 2:07 AM - 2 September, 2022
[spam removed]
nishantjcm307 2:09 PM - 6 January, 2023
[spam removed]
KC1 2:31 PM - 15 January, 2023
2023 choo choo ..

0_o
KC1 2:33 PM - 15 January, 2023
2023 Choo, choo ...

Though in Serato land, the business model is still 2003.

0_o
HellNegative1 4:14 PM - 15 January, 2023
Quote:
2023 Choo, choo ...

Though in Serato land, the business model is still 2003.

0_o

I lol’ed
Mutis 7:27 AM - 16 January, 2023
This will be logical so not expecting it at all.

:}
pikashowpc 8:29 AM - 13 November, 2023
[spam removed]
pikashowpc 8:31 AM - 13 November, 2023
[spam removed]