Serato Studio General Discussion

Talk about anything Serato Studio, music production, plugins and supported hardware

Serato Studio 1.4.1 Suggestions

Bori Rock 9:39 AM - 21 January, 2020
Hi, I was a beta tester for Serato Studio. Currently I'm testing it again. I enjoyed the idea of SS when I was in beta testing, but I wasn't sold on it. And now I'm like it more based on the current updates. Below are some ideas I had for some suggestions I'd like to see in the next updates.

- Duplication of Audio Files for layering of songs for DJ Edits / Remixing
- Allow more than 8 cue points per scene, I would I was limited to splitting up a section of a song to remix a DJ edit. (Or allows to have a waveform editor)
- Scrubbing the song could be smoother, like in SDJ.
- When in Song View, allow swipe gestures to work, not just when hovering over the horizontal scroll bar (for quicker work flow purposes)
- Being able to quick edit mix knob information, not just depend on turning the knobs (allows quicker work flow, and setting an accurate value number)
- Waveforms should show Beat Grids and replicate SDJs waveform display of beats and bars.
- Song View should display beats/bars along with the time length.
- The Song Viewer should be about to pinch zoom in and zoom out. (work flow purposes)
- When in the File Viewer, allow for desktop search. I have music on a secondary SATA HD. I can only see files on the primary SATA HD.
- I’d like to create favorites for locations/folder of files. I keep my music production and DJ music on a secondary drive. (This helps me more for smoother workflow instead of having to open separate window, and do everything internally to drag and drop files into DAW)
- Show/Hide Serato Crate information option. (Hide extra info like label, etc.)
- Find command (CMD+F) to locate files like in SDJ
- I think the Master waveform at the bottom is unnecessary. I find it distracting at times, and it takes up screen real estate.
- Integration With Serato DJ Pro. I think this DAW has a lot of potential to replace big name DAWs for live performances/remixes. Currently I’m more driven to creating remixes, DJ edits, as well as creating mixtapes. I also hope to see pro level audio effects plugins. For now, I don’t see myself leaving my primary DAW, but I would if Serato Studio could meet my needs. I like the idea of integrating my ideas from studio with SDJ, and keeping the continuity among the programs.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 2:56 AM - 22 January, 2020
Hi Bori Rock,

Thanks so much for your detailed feedback - really appreciated. Here's some comments on your suggestions:

- Duplication of Audio Files for layering of songs for DJ Edits / Remixing

We'd like to add this too, it'll hopefully come in a future version.

- Allow more than 8 cue points per scene, I would I was limited to splitting up a section of a song to remix a DJ edit. (Or allows to have a waveform editor)
This has also been previously requested and is something we are pushing around some ideas for.

Do you mean the sound of it or visually?

- When in Song View, allow swipe gestures to work, not just when hovering over the horizontal scroll bar (for quicker work flow purposes)

Yes! This is something that we'll be adding in an upcoming release.

- Being able to quick edit mix knob information, not just depend on turning the knobs (allows quicker work flow, and setting an accurate value number)

Nice suggestion, how would you want to interact with this? Double click a knob? Right click and choose the option from a drop down?

- Waveforms should show Beat Grids and replicate SDJs waveform display of beats and bars.

Can you please explain this, the Sample Deck and the Audio deck do already show beat grids. Do you mean beat/bar numbers?

- Song View should display beats/bars along with the time length.

Great idea. We currently show zebra background to delineate beats and bars but there are no numbers.

- The Song Viewer should be about to pinch zoom in and zoom out. (work flow purposes)

I see why you'd want this too. Currently zoom on the Sample deck is two-finger up and down. We can't support this in Song View, because this action needs to scroll up and down. We could look into pinch zoom across the app though.

- When in the File Viewer, allow for desktop search. I have music on a secondary SATA HD. I can only see files on the primary SATA HD.

Do you mean a search box that allows you to search your hard drive? Regarding the secondary SATA drive - can you please explain your setup? Is this treated like an external drive or just as a second internal drive?

- I’d like to create favorites for locations/folder of files. I keep my music production and DJ music on a secondary drive. (This helps me more for smoother workflow instead of having to open separate window, and do everything internally to drag and drop files into DAW)

Great idea. We've talked about this too and is something we'd like to implement.

You can right click on the column header in the library to choose which columns are shown. Is that what you are after?

CMD+F takes you to the search box in Studio, but doesn't search All like in DJ because there is a dedicated [ALL] button in the search box. Turning this on will search everything, including all other tabs. Is that what you are looking for?

- I think the Master waveform at the bottom is unnecessary. I find it distracting at times, and it takes up screen real estate.

Fair enough. We could for example, allow you to collapse the waveform. Would that work - then you'd be able to bring it back if you needed it (it also acts as navigation to take you to the master view in order to add Master FX.

- Integration With Serato DJ Pro. I think this DAW has a lot of potential to replace big name DAWs for live performances/remixes. Currently I’m more driven to creating remixes, DJ edits, as well as creating mixtapes. I also hope to see pro level audio effects plugins. For now, I don’t see myself leaving my primary DAW, but I would if Serato Studio could meet my needs. I like the idea of integrating my ideas from studio with SDJ, and keeping the continuity among the programs.

Awesome. I'm really interested to hear how you'd like to use this in live performances. What kind of things would you want to do live in Studio? Also, would you want to run Studio alongside DJ and go between the two apps? I'm interested if you can paint me a vision of how it could all work together in a live set.

Thanks again for your suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Bori Rock 6:25 AM - 22 January, 2020
Hi Phil,

Thank for getting back to me. Please see what replies to your questions below.

Do you mean the sound of it or visually?
- So when I am in DJ Edit Mode, I click the audio track and it shows me the wavelength above. If I were to click on it to scrub back to a point of the song to create a cue point it’s not as smooth compared to when I’m in SDJ’s Play mode. In SDJ I can click and scrub back and forth a lot smoother and it’s easier. There’s like a delay in the reaction time. (This would be crucial for my work flow.)

Nice suggestion, how would you want to interact with this? Double click a knob? Right click and choose the option from a drop down?
- I think right-clicking the know and selecting ‘Edit’ would work great.

Can you please explain this, the Sample Deck and the Audio deck do already show beat grids. Do you mean beat/bar numbers?
- Yes, I would find it useful if both the sample deck and audio deck shows me beat/bar numbers. The sample view could look like SDJs deck 1 in play mode so I can see where I need to go back to on the waveform. And having a visual in the audio deck would help greatly is arranging, like Ableton’s session view.

I see why you'd want this too. Currently zoom on the Sample deck is two-finger up and down. We can't support this in Song View, because this action needs to scroll up and down. We could look into pinch zoom across the app though.
- I would suggest changing the finger gestures for zoom, please look at this link and scrub the video to 0:35 for zoom in/out suggestion for both sample deck and song viewer
Watchwww.youtube.com

Do you mean a search box that allows you to search your hard drive? Regarding the secondary SATA drive - can you please explain your setup? Is this treated like an external drive or just as a second internal drive?
-When I’m in the Library in Serato Studio and go down to Files, I can only see what’s on the Primary hard drive. If I go into Files on SDJ I can see every location of my MacBook. I have 2012 MacBook Pro, the last one that came with a cd-rom. I’m a tech guy so I removed my cd-rom and replaced it with a secondary SATA Hard drive. On that secondary drive I keep my Serato library and all my music, and music production library. I want to be able to access that drive from within Studio, the very same way that I can access all drives in SDJ.

You can right click on the column header in the library to choose which columns are shown. Is that what you are after?
-Correct. I want to be able to show/hide those columns, just like in SDJ.

CMD+F takes you to the search box in Studio, but doesn't search All like in DJ because there is a dedicated [ALL] button in the search box. Turning this on will search everything, including all other tabs. Is that what you are looking for?
-I apologize. I meant CMD+R, like in SDJ. This opens up a window to the location of the file selected.

Fair enough. We could for example, allow you to collapse the waveform. Would that work - then you'd be able to bring it back if you needed it (it also acts as navigation to take you to the master view in order to add Master FX.
-That works.

Awesome. I'm really interested to hear how you'd like to use this in live performances. What kind of things would you want to do live in Studio? Also, would you want to run Studio alongside DJ and go between the two apps? I'm interested if you can paint me a vision of how it could all work together in a live set.
- I think this program along with the DDJ XP2 would be great to expand on finger drumming. You could either create a redrum, or flip a sample of a song in your set. The XP2 has the functions for Serato, and it has custom user modes, too. This would open up more possibilities and be an expansion to SP8 in Serato DJ.

New Suggestions:
- Switch Spacebar and Return/Enter key functions. Enter key allows you to continue the waveform from the last location of the wave, while the spacebar plays from the last cue point. I find that if you switched their functions it would make keyboard functions easier when scrubbing through a song and creating cue points. I’m right handed, so I scrub the waveform with my right hand on the trackpad, and create cue points and hit play/pause with my left. I have this same workflow in SDJ.
- I’d like to be able to add my Serato Sample plugin like in any other DAW. I already paid for it and would like to be able to use it in Studio.
- midi mode. Midi mode has great potential to live remix as seen here: Watchwww.youtube.com
-Link Mode between SDJ and Studio

Side Note: I had a 15-day trial mode as of yesterday when I wrote my questions, and when I went in today to help me answer some of these questions it says that my trial has expired and I won't be able to save my work. I was under the impression my beta testing was reset.
an you help out with that?

Thanks,

BR
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 8:34 PM - 22 January, 2020
Thanks Bori Rock,

I'm happy to say both of these do work the same in Studio as in DJ:
- I apologize. I meant CMD+R, like in SDJ. This opens up a window to the location of the file selected.

I'll forward these ones on to be investigated:
- Scrubbing the song could be smoother, like in SDJ. In SDJ I can click and scrub back and forth a lot smoother and it’s easier. There’s like a delay in the reaction time.
- Accessing secondary SATA HDs in Studio, like currently works in DJ

And I'll make sure these are on our feature suggestion list:
- Waveforms on Sample and Audio Decks should show Beat Grids bar numbers
- Pinch zoom gesture
- Allow Master Waveform to be collapsed
- Integration With Serato DJ Pro.

Regarding your new suggestions:
- Switch Spacebar and Return/Enter key functions.
I have seen other people want to use Space bar as part of their cue setting workflow as well - it's on our radar :)

- I’d like to be able to add my Serato Sample plugin like in any other DAW.
You can absolutely do this! Just go to the plugins tab, find Sample and drag it onto the deck area.

- midi mode.
We've also had requests for this and it's something we'd like to add.

-Link Mode between SDJ and Studio
We've also had requests for this and it's something we'd like to add.

Lastly, regarding the beta and the trial. A license is actually required to be part of the beta program - so if you are on a trial then you will be using the release version of the software (currently 1.4.1). 1.4.2 beta will be going live in the very near future.

We periodically reset trials, as we did for version 1.4, which is why your trial will have restarted. Unfortunately I'm unable to individually reset your trial.